PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki brute force 750 or Honda 680??

Litzodd6
05-06-2014, 11:23 PM
How many of you guys have these quads ?? Looking at both and need some input, gonna be mostly hunting and a bit of trail riding

Drillbit
05-06-2014, 11:39 PM
Both awesome bikes. Can't say anything really bad about either of them.

I have a Rincon, and my Dad has 2 . They are 600lb Cadillacs.
Have never had to replace/fix anything but tires and handgrips. Mine has just over 17000 miles now.
I've only seen one that had any problems, cam chain was slapping and need to be replaced.

The BruteForce is has more power, and front diff lock, but the engine may go if abused. A buddy has one and it is a tough, good all around bike. Belt drive though. I've seen a few towed back at Alberta quadrally's with engine problems, major failures.
I think they're also 600lbs though, so that's not an issue.

Can't go wrong with either of those.

Whatever you do, don't buy a Polaris unless you like fixings things, hauling tool kits and waiting for parts to come in:)

gutpile
05-07-2014, 04:14 AM
Cam-Am is the way to go.

bigredchev
05-07-2014, 04:58 AM
my 06 brute force 650 is just fine, lots of power as my friends brand new can am 650.handles great, lots of torque. Its also got manual start backup which is nice.

Litzodd6
05-07-2014, 05:48 AM
Beauty! Thanks for the input guys , and drillbit a Polaris hadn't crossed my mind :mrgreen:

Pioneerman
05-07-2014, 06:31 AM
The only things I never liked about the Kawi was the lever you have to pull in for diff lock, and the lack of engine brake in the older ones. I do not know if they still have the same system or not

savagecanuck
05-07-2014, 06:47 AM
Kawasaki still has the old school diff lock lever.All Japanese quads are reliable but old school.Can am for me light years ahead of any Japanese ATV.reliability is not quite there but they now offer a 3 year warranty.

BearStump
05-07-2014, 07:21 AM
I found the Brute force to have tons of power but exhausting to ride for long periods of time. You gotta hold on tight and manhandle it if you want to lay down the power. Whereas I find alot of the hondas, can-ams and suzuki's are a little more comfortable to ride for longer periods. If you're just putting around road hunting it wont make any difference at all.

Gun Dog
05-07-2014, 09:11 AM
The only things I never liked about the Kawi was the lever you have to pull in for diff lock, and the lack of engine brake in the older ones. I do not know if they still have the same system or notI like the diff lock -- it's instant. With other ATVs you have to stop, flip a switch, wait for it to engage...

Kawasaki has had engine braking for a long time and it holds right down to 0kph (part of the KEBS -- Kawasaki Engine Braking System).

I have a Kawi 650 Brute Force and just bought a Honda 500 Rubicon for the GF. Power steering is so nice although Honda still likes solid rear axles while everyone else has moved to IRS. Kawi still makes both. If you're hunting and trail riding then a 500 is all you need. My first choice was a Yamaha Kodiak 450 (only $8,000) but I couldn't pass up a new 2013 Honda for $8,300. Honda uses an automatic tranny instead of a belt-drive CVT on most of their ATVs.

Ubertuber
05-07-2014, 09:23 AM
I had a Kawasaki for 12 years. It was a great machine that never let me down. The guy I sold it to four years ago is still driving it...no problems. Hondas are great as well. I would take either brand.
If you plan on keeping the quad for more than a couple of years, go for reliability and skip the Can-Am.

Remington721
05-07-2014, 08:37 PM
Brute force is the way to go. Are you looking at a new one? I have had 3 of them. My 2012 was amazing, the powersteering was good and you just can't beat the torque of the Kawi vtwin. Personally I really like the 4 wheel drive system on the brute, get yourself into a bad spot just pull the lever and your good to go. They make something called a pen lock to lock the little yellow lever in place if you don't want to hold it. Never had any problems with mine, I love the feel better then the new can ams. They feel to big and they are heavy compared to the brute force. Fuel mileage isn't the greatest but I'm not exactly easy on the throttle. Brute force would be my choice, don't regret buying the 2012 over the canam