PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun for bear?

RiverRunner
05-06-2014, 09:00 PM
I see in the regs it's ok as long as it's 20 gauge and larger with #1 buck or larger...

Anyone hunt this way?
Seems like a way to get up close and personal like archery….

lorneparker1
05-06-2014, 09:13 PM
I do.. but no chance I would be using a 20 gauge

Use a 12 with slugs (if allowed) and if not use a turkey choke and 00 buck and don't shoot any further then 20 yards is my advice. I'd rather shoot a bear at 40 yards with an arrow then with buckshot.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
05-06-2014, 09:18 PM
Yes Sir. Hunting Black Bear with Shotgun is fantastic, in my opinion!

Use appropriate ammunition and be sure to be well practiced. This means knowing your effective range and being capable of producing proper shot placement under real-world field conditions. This range; for a well practiced Hunter, may well be many times that of an Archer. Possibly meeting and/or exceeding 100 yards! That said, a major part of the appeal of Shotgun as a Hunting tool for Big Game is getting close as is possible, as is the case in Archery Hunting likewise.

20 Gauge can work just fine, shot placement is paramount regardless of gun OR arrow, naturally.

Outside of B.C, all big Game species are Huntable with a Shotgun using appropriate ammunition in most all jurisdiction in North America. B.C is irregular, abnormal and anomolous in their "Legal Hunting Methods" aspect of Hunting Regulations. These aspects of the regulations are repugnant. I fully support maximum freedom in choice of equipment.

The only thing that comes close is Yukon not allowing Shotgun for the Harvest of Bison... Yet Yukon has some of the strangest and most inane regulations (outside of B.C.). These include not allowing the use of Crossbows for Hunting any Game. While the anti-Shotgun sentiment in B.C. is by far my least favourite aspect and Hunting Regulations pet peeve (the B.S. Bison kinetic energy/bullet weight gibberish is right up there with it, I must say) it is still possible for a Hunter using nothing more than a single Shotgun to enjoy more Hunting opportunity for such a vast array of Species that it far exceeds the opportunity afforded Resident Hunters in a huge number of other places with any single piece of equipment or combination thereof! Truly, even with Shotgun alone, B.C. Hunters are spoiled by choice!

RiverRunner
05-06-2014, 09:31 PM
…. any reference to barrel length restrictions?…. other than federal rules applying to barrel lengths in general.

Any recommends on slug of choice? I hear the winchester rifled slugs are soft and lack penetration...

05-06-2014, 09:44 PM
There are no barrel length restrictions for Hunting with a Shotgun in B.C. outside of C-68/Federal firearms Law, as of this writing.

I recommend using whichever slug happens to be most accurate in your particular gun, even if that does turn out to be Winchester Super-X! If you'd like something else, I'd recommend including any Brenneke type slug you can find; Challenger Slugs (a gaulandi type slug) and Federal TruBall Deep Penetrator if you are looking for something that will dig a bit deeper, with less expansion. None the less, good old rifled (Foster) slugs in a smooth bore have been taking Black Bears for many, many decades now.

Fundamental Hunting skills including Black Bear identification; anatomy, estimating distances accurately and SHOT PLACEMENT (!) are of paramount import. These aspects are among those that surely trump slug brand/type choices. IE- A single well placed shot in the vitals with the softest of Foster slugs will result in a clean humane harvest. A wounding loss with the newest whix-bang sabot slug from a bolt-action, fixed rifled barrel slug gun is still a terrible thing. Be comfortable and confident with your skill well before heading out after Game.

Enjoy practice time and all time spent afield Sir!

NMO
05-06-2014, 09:56 PM
Ontario transplant here, Lots of guys use slugs for Bear, Deer & Moose in ON. Many areas in Southern ON do not have rifle seasons for big game, they are shotgun only. Saboted slugs in rifled barrels reign supreme for that ( Hornady 300gr 12 gauge Sabot slug is advertised at 2000fps, pretty much a 45-70)
I used to get good patterns @ 50yds with Federal Tru-Ball 3" slugs, cannot remember what choke I had in the gun though, I know I had to try a few chokes to find the tightest pattern.
You may get better feed back somewhere like Canadian Gun Nutz, due to more members in areas where shotguns are mandatory.

Cheers

hunter fisher
05-06-2014, 10:26 PM
look up a round called a defender. shoots a slug with some buckshot around it. a little insurance for dropping a big bruin!

Drillbit
05-06-2014, 10:39 PM
look up a round called a defender. shoots a slug with some buckshot around it. a little insurance for dropping a big bruin!

Those are hard to find though.....unless you run a 410:)

hunter fisher
05-06-2014, 10:51 PM
Those are hard to find though.....unless you run a 410:)

stillwater sports in ladner. you pay a little extra because its a mom and pop shop, but well worth the few extra bucks!

RiverRunner
05-06-2014, 10:58 PM
Thank you for the info everyone!

Much appreciated.

Gateholio
05-07-2014, 05:56 AM
Yes, there are barrel restrictions for hunting in BC. Under 12" is considered a handgun and prohibited.

As for a shotgun, sure you can use one but if I'm going to carry a full size firearm it may as well be a rifle. More versatile and effective. But to each thier own

ACE
05-07-2014, 07:27 AM
Is a 12 gauge with a rifled barrel and open sights considered a rifle at some point?
A quality pump with a 20" barrel, 3" chamber, and good slug loads .....

longstonec
05-07-2014, 07:29 AM
stillwater sports in ladner. you pay a little extra because its a mom and pop shop, but well worth the few extra bucks!

-I believe it has a new set of pops now so inventory may be different.

Gateholio
05-07-2014, 01:20 PM
Is a 12 gauge with a rifled barrel and open sights considered a rifle at some point?
A quality pump with a 20" barrel, 3" chamber, and good slug loads .....

Considered by whom?

HARDICAT
05-07-2014, 05:11 PM
Unless things have changed in 1 week Bryan still owns and runs the shop (Stillwater in Ladner)

05-07-2014, 07:17 PM
Gatehouse, I stand corrected. I do suppose I believed that "or" to be an "and"... Big difference! Thanks for bringing that aspect to my attention. I do tend to prefer a longer barrel (nothing under 22" on a Shotgun with 28" preferred and usually about 20" as a minimum for Centrefire Rifle). As such, I suppose I did not pay enough attention to that aspect of the regulations in the past to provide proper advice.

As for versatility, if it were not for the ridiculous regulations of Hunting in B.C. a single shotgun (with appropriate ammunition, of course) can take any Game species we have here in B.C. provided proper shot placement (which is a requirement of any projectile, naturally). Shotguns are the most versatile firearm currently available to mankind. From the smallest of small Game to massive Alaska/Yukon Moose, the Shotgun can take them all provided it is loaded appropriately and the Hunter holding it is up to the task at hand.

Rifles are fun and most prefer them. For good reason - the range advantage is substantial! Versatility is not one of their advantages over Shotgun. None the less, as you say, to each there own Sir!

M.Dean
05-07-2014, 08:38 PM
From experience, use a Rifle to kill Bears, not a "Defender" with Double Ott Buck and Slugs!

Gateholio
05-07-2014, 09:05 PM
Gatehouse, I stand corrected. I do suppose I believed that "or" to be an "and"... Big difference! Thanks for bringing that aspect to my attention. I do tend to prefer a longer barrel (nothing under 22" on a Shotgun with 28" preferred and usually about 20" as a minimum for Centrefire Rifle). As such, I suppose I did not pay enough attention to that aspect of the regulations in the past to provide proper advice.

As for versatility, if it were not for the ridiculous regulations of Hunting in B.C. a single shotgun (with appropriate ammunition, of course) can take any Game species we have here in B.C. provided proper shot placement (which is a requirement of any projectile, naturally). Shotguns are the most versatile firearm currently available to mankind. From the smallest of small Game to massive Alaska/Yukon Moose, the Shotgun can take them all provided it is loaded appropriately and the Hunter holding it is up to the task at hand.

Rifles are fun and most prefer them. For good reason - the range advantage is substantial! Versatility is not one of their advantages over Shotgun. None the less, as you say, to each there own Sir!

In the context of hunting bear, (or any big game) a rifle is more versatile than any other weapon. I make subsonic loads for most of my rifles for shooting grouse , too. Although not very good for wing shooting.

moosecamp
05-07-2014, 09:36 PM
As for a shotgun, sure you can use one but if I'm going to carry a full size firearm it may as well be a rifle. More versatile and effective. But to each thier own

Unless your hunting east of the power lines on the island, no single projectiles buck shot only.

r106
05-07-2014, 09:50 PM
Unless your hunting east of the power lines on the island, no single projectiles buck shot only.

Since this is posted in the mainland forum we will asume he's not on the island lol.

If you want to use a shotgun then go for it. Just practice to find out what your effective range is. If you want to do it just to get close then you can still use your rifle just get closer

hunter1947
05-08-2014, 05:21 AM
The shotgun works for deer will work good for bears as well.

walks with deer
05-12-2014, 11:03 PM
A shotgun slug is a ruthlous impact definitely effective if your gun shoots it straight.
I hunt in shotgun only area quite a bit. Allthough I bow hunt quite often when I want meat in that area that tool provides.