PDA

View Full Version : A place to camp and fish with my kids

JIL_24/7
05-05-2014, 11:30 PM
Hello Everyone!
I am extremely excited about the coming months! I have a tent trailer and I plan on using it! I get to bring my kids into the outdoors and camping for the first time. They are 2, 4, and 6. They all want to go fishing very badly. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for lakes/camp sites within 2 to 3 hours of Surrey that I could take my kiddos and get them started on a lifetime of loving the outdoors. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Foxtail
05-06-2014, 06:10 AM
Boat or no boat?

Junmity
05-06-2014, 08:31 AM
My son and I stumbled on a great free campsite at bear creek off on Harrison lake about 20 min into the main logging road. While we were there we explored and found a half dozen other free sites that were great!

we didn't do any fishing but it was September and there were lots of grouse!

coach
05-06-2014, 08:43 AM
Kentucky Alleyne - just outside of Merritt. Great place to take kids! Tons of 'bows in the "kids pond" to keep them happy. 'Bows and Kokanee in Alleyne and some very nice rainbows in Kentucky. Lots of other lakes in the area as well as hiking trails to explore.

goatdancer
05-06-2014, 08:46 AM
Kentucky Alleyne - just outside of Merritt. Great place to take kids! Tons of 'bows in the "kids pond" to keep them happy. 'Bows and Kokanee in Alleyne and some very nice rainbows in Kentucky. Lots of other lakes in the area as well as hiking trails to explore.

It gets filled up pretty quick up there so you have to have a backup plan. It is a beautiful area.

Fella
05-06-2014, 08:51 AM
Depending on how "rough" you want to go, there's dozens of lakes up the coquihalla that you could camp at.

421fighter
05-06-2014, 09:13 AM
If you don't have a boat, there are some nice spots at Chain Lake, out of Princeton. Blacktop all the way, and is on the Princeton-Summerland road. Limit of 2 each per day, and under 10 hp motor. I have caught many there casting from shore, small weighted mono line and a worm on the end. Gets pretty green scum later in the summer, though

Jagermeister
05-06-2014, 01:03 PM
Remember this piece of advice.
If you are fishing with kids along a stream, be it creek or river, always have your children up stream of you This way you only have to step out to snag the dunkie should it pitch into the drink, rather than chasing downstream to haul it out.

markomoose
05-07-2014, 01:52 PM
Back when my kids were small they used to love going to Big Bar Lake.

Iron Glove
05-07-2014, 03:47 PM
Sounds exactly what we did with our kids and tent trailer 25 years ago.
Lightening Lake in Manning Park.
You'll need to reserve a site but it's great.
If you don't have a boat, you can chuck lines from the Day Use area, that's where our kids learned to fish. Fly, small weight and a bobber, almost guaranteed to catch small rainbows. The Similkameen River runs through the Park, some nice spots to try fishing there too.
Its nice having the Lodge close for a civilized meal or two and for supplies as needed.
That's where we went, the kids are still fishing and our 3 year old Grand Daughter is Tent Trailering and fishing now.
Great to hear you are starting out right, good luck and have fun, they are only kids for a short while.