PDA

View Full Version : 5-15C Grizzly Hunt

fearnodeer
05-05-2014, 06:49 PM
Okay boy's my daughter's boyfriend has a Grizzly tag for the area and I was thinking of setting up base camp at Spanish Lake, I have never been in the area so looking for advise if you may want to give it.

Thanks in advance

Papa Sasquatch
05-05-2014, 07:02 PM
We should introduce him to my daughter!

rageous
05-05-2014, 07:21 PM
Recommend going further to tasse lake.

05-06-2014, 07:19 AM
Contact SRUPP on this site, he loves to help people get Grizz...
Great guy

f350ps
05-06-2014, 07:55 AM
If it were me I would be up around Ghost Lake, no question! K

srupp
05-06-2014, 08:50 AM
Hmm currently in Iceland en route to seattle...No to Tasse lake. Send me a pm I will answer in a couple of days..Ghost lake is much better..

Srupp

junkyard_g
05-06-2014, 11:12 AM
worked by ghost lake years back. nice scenic area out there. you can actually glass a little bit of alpine right from the road there. didnt see any grizz but was only there for a few days. from what i remember you had to pack a boat 100yds or so to get down to the lake though...

Drillbit
05-06-2014, 11:51 AM
^ Atv trail to the lake now, thanks to the guide. Could drag a boat in on the ground or a little trailer would work.

rageous
05-06-2014, 04:19 PM
I saw 3 different grizz around tasse on one hunting trip. One was a big bugger. Lotsa of black bear too.

hunter fisher
05-06-2014, 10:31 PM
you guys got my draw you son of a gun! ohwell, along as someone gets to enjoy it! good luck!

jessbennett
05-06-2014, 10:41 PM
id camp at ladies campsite on cariboo lake. theres a few good areas to check heading towards ghost lake direction. .. up and over the switches, and hang a left on the other side, and cross the bridge, lots of glassing, but they will be around. and theres definately some good country the further you get towards maeford and ghost lake.

fearnodeer
05-07-2014, 05:32 AM
Thanks for all advise so far, it's looks like a toss up between Tasse & Ghost Lake, we are bringing a UTV so we can cover at lot of ground if necessary .

XPEIer
05-07-2014, 05:39 AM
Atv trail to the lake now, thanks to the guide. Could drag a boat in on the ground or a little trailer would work.

This is an illegal ATV trail cut into a park, dont think you would want to be improving it!

When is your draw dates, tons and tons of snow out that way yet, I tried to go from Horsefly to Likely via the Ditch Road yesterday and got stopped by snow at Mitchell Bay, which is pretty much as the Quesnel Lake elevation.

xpeier

srupp
05-07-2014, 07:06 AM
Hmm usually never great till may 20..this year 8 days later till the end

Seattle ....home bound

ace76
05-07-2014, 07:24 AM
Ghost lake is in 5-15B not C

fearnodeer
05-08-2014, 05:51 AM
We were planning on going up the May long weekend.

XPEIer
05-08-2014, 06:36 AM
you may wish to call ahead to inquire about snow conditions. Not certain if you can get to Cariboo Lake yet, I know Crooked Lake was still snowed in last week and we have not had a ton of heat or rain to clear things off.

xpeier

limit time
05-08-2014, 10:00 AM
Ghost lake is in 5-15B not C
This is what I thought. ^^
You could camp there and cross the river every day to C.

jessbennett
05-08-2014, 11:01 AM
havent even been out that way yet, but i know the mountains got POUNDED with snow last year. things are about about two weeks behind or so closer to town even, so im guessing your gunna need a snowmobile. i wouldnt even think about heading in there till the end of may or first week of june.

05-08-2014, 11:51 AM
Ghost is in B yes, but out that end it is the only place to camp other then by the river at the other end. From Ghost you are 5-10 min from C

Bigbear
05-08-2014, 01:58 PM
I would be Looking Out Spanish Lake way and Up the grain creek water shed. Seen lots out that way Plus a few uncomfortable encounters.

fearnodeer
05-09-2014, 05:50 AM
Well we are going to go up the first weekend of June now from all the snow reports, it's to bad the LEH is only good to the 10th, sounds like there is lots of Grizz in the area and even more Black Bears, should be a good time.

05-09-2014, 07:38 AM
lol,

i was out moose hunting at Ghost a few years ago.. Me and Dave were sleeping in a tent beside Dads Camper... in the middle of the night i woke up hearing a growell.. i was freaked out.... i looked at my dog who was fast asleep beside me and couldnt figure out why he wasnt barking,,,, i sat there listening as close as i could trying to pin where the noise was coming from,, and looking at Chase..... i got more and more freaked as i envisioned a grizz stalking the moose that was hanging in the tree,, which all of a sudden seemed too close........

The i realised it was Dave snoring

wlbc
05-09-2014, 08:55 AM
I would give some thought to camping at Tassie. Nice spot, and I think it would lose snow faster than the other side of the pass where Ghost is located. I have not fished Tassie but I've stopped there to eat lunch and saw many fish jumping.

Also plenty of good camping in the Grain Creek area.

+1 on the Grain Creek drainage. I've seen a lot of black bears and a few Grizzly out that way. Quite a few alpine slide areas to glass. Also some very good ground down by the lake where Grain Creek drains.

I would time your hunt for the first week of June like you have as the snow will be a major issue.

fearnodeer
06-12-2014, 03:12 PM
Would like to thank everyone for their input on this, we ended up camping at the three sisters rec site and tried to get into chest lake area but still to much snow and no one has made it in yet, we when to Tasse Lake the road is overgrown now and some large tree's across the road just before the lake as well as just past the turn off to Tasse to much snow once again.We meet a few other hunters up there but no one had see any grizzly or track yet, we did bring back a couple of Black Bears so still was a good trip.