PDA

View Full Version : Spring Bears, Grass, Elevation and Question From a New Hunter

Morel
05-04-2014, 10:47 PM
I went out with a buddy for a spring bear this weekend up in the Squamish valley. This was only my second time out and I have some questions for the more experienced hunters. My partner was there for backup and a walk in the woods (with a valid license and tag). I have repeatedly read that for spring bear one should glass south facing slopes that green up early as the bears will be primarily feeding on new grass in the spring. I hiked and glassed some recent (last year) cuts at low elevation and did some hiking up some of the older, less used logging roads and found poop (moderately fresh) and evidence of something munching on the grasses along the road. The frequency of sign (munched grass and bear poop) petered out with the grass as we gained elevation. The lower elevation cuts I targeted were too recent for good vegetation and the older cuts were at elevations that had not greened up yet. It seems that this time of year the best food (and likely the bears) is in the valley floor or roads at low elevation. Is this correct? These areas are very thick and not easy to glass. How do you hunt in these areas?

If bears are in the valley bottoms early in the season, do they move to higher elevations later in the season? Would it be worth waiting a few weeks until the higher elevations green up and it is possible to do more glassing and stalking? Are bears eating something other than grass this time of year? The poop I found seemed to be mostly grass.

Cheers,
Morel

olympia
05-04-2014, 11:07 PM
the bear that I got a few days ago was in a meadow and he was on a lower elevation, I couldn't tell exatly what elevation. I started driving way up and saw nothing and then more than 3/4 way back down I spotted a meadow with fresh green grass and found some fresh scat with grass in it. I waited there and he showed up. Im assuming as the higher elevations started greening up he would go higher. Im relatively new at this and he was my first....ahhhhh so sweet

bcd
05-05-2014, 07:06 PM
You took the words out of my mouth. I was up there this weekend as well and found much the same - no sign up high, some mid to low, with the freshest being low. My assumption is they den at different elevations and make their way down when they wake up? I could be wrong I'm new to this too.

I also have the same question about how to hunt that thick bush on the valley bottom when you can't see far or move though it quietly?

Fella
05-05-2014, 07:08 PM
They follow the food. Stuff grows down low first, then as it warms the greens creep up the side of the hills.

SPEYMAN
05-05-2014, 07:19 PM
If you find an open area,slash,road, with bear droppings, this is an area they travel through or feed. Your chances of getting a shot at a bear when walking in the bush are not good. You must have time to evaluate your target and make sure there are no cubs.

I would suggest that if you find an area with sign, sit and wait. If one can find several locations,then go from location to location and observe. Try and observe from a location that provides an advantage. Downwind and/or above. Once you have located and evaluated the bear, you can proceed to stalk.

Remember, A pine needle fell in the forest, the eagle saw it, the deer heard it and the bear smelled it. Patiance.

Morel
05-05-2014, 07:52 PM
Speyman, thanks for the advice.

Interestingly, I have heard that black bears really go for skunk cabbage. I found several nice patches that were totally untouched. Are skunk cabbage a secondary food source or do they prefer them at different times?

HarryToolips
05-05-2014, 08:14 PM
the bear that I got a few days ago was in a meadow and he was on a lower elevation, I couldn't tell exatly what elevation. I started driving way up and saw nothing and then more than 3/4 way back down I spotted a meadow with fresh green grass and found some fresh scat with grass in it. I waited there and he showed up. Im assuming as the higher elevations started greening up he would go higher. Im relatively new at this and he was my first....ahhhhh so sweet

Cmon pics lol.....I'm not all that experienced at bear hunting either, but from my experience they are mid to lower elevations this time of year, but were hitting the long days and heat now, at least where I am, and in a couple weeks, some of the higher elevation areas will be getting good as well...dandelions comin up are real hot areas I find, de-activated roads are really good for em...more poop = more bears so keep lookin for lots of sign..

SPEYMAN
05-05-2014, 08:46 PM
Clover patches are prime feeding areas. They use to seed clover on road rightaways and power lines. Watch for small trees pulled down on edge of road. That is an indication that a boar is in the area and marking his territory. When there are several piles of dung on a stretch of road, can indicate a travel route and that is how far the bear traveled before sucumbing to a call of nature either going to or comming from a bedding area to a feeding area.

Step on the piles so you will know which ones are fresh or new when you return to that area. Walk slow when approaching an area where bears have been evident.

Skunk cabbage is just one of the grasses,sedges,plants etc. that bears will eat. Just like you, they enjoy a varied diet.

Sarge789
05-07-2014, 11:20 AM
Clover patches are prime feeding areas.

This is what I found. I went out twice, got one the second time. We scouted all the open, green areas with prevalent clover. When we found fresh scat we waited and the bear ended up coming out of the woods from up the mountain to feed right at dusk. First light and last light, thats when you'll get them.

r106
05-07-2014, 11:57 AM
They seem to really like Clover patches, Dandelions and skunk cabbage. They follow the food, it starts down low and moves up a few weeks after the snow melts off. Find a grassy spot with fresh scat and a good vantage point and sit and wait. He will show up eventually. I like to walk pipelines because there is usually lots of food and it offers a good vantage points and I don't have to sit in one spot. LOL I hate waiting

russm
05-07-2014, 01:55 PM
Pay attention to the wind! My first season after a bear (2 season ago) I was outsmarted 3 times by a good size bear because I got excited and forgot about the wind and my smell, hopefully Friday will be the day I get my first.

Morel
05-08-2014, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the advice! Hopefully the next time out will be more successful!

Morel
05-08-2014, 08:21 PM
You took the words out of my mouth. I was up there this weekend as well and found much the same - no sign up high, some mid to low, with the freshest being low. My assumption is they den at different elevations and make their way down when they wake up? I could be wrong I'm new to this too.

I also have the same question about how to hunt that thick bush on the valley bottom when you can't see far or move though it quietly?

Good luck but save one for me!