PDA

View Full Version : Open to options

dougal
05-04-2014, 09:50 PM
Well after years of heading for our annual trip to generally the same area were at a point of major change. The area we generally haunt has over the last few years become swamped with people so as a general day of hunting has turned into a day at the beach in Normandy. Tbh the first open day for white tail "both sexes" I found a quiet place to sit after a bullet literally sung past me from below the bluff I was walking. Having headed up to region 5 for moose were looking to head further north into the 7's. Well open to options but as myself and the other guys in my group haven't hunted out that way we are more than open to any opinions. Not looking to step on anybody's toes nor to seek the elusive honey holes but more just looking for direction and advise. This summer is going to include some scouting trips to define any areas of interest I'm not a afraid to do the ground work but seeing as the fount of knowledge is here why not throw my glass in and see what comes back at me.

Any thoughts be they open or pm would be greatly appreciated

thanks

BOB

dougal
05-06-2014, 07:02 PM
Anything? Lol

Jelvis
05-06-2014, 07:53 PM
In Region 7 almost anywhere if you were a real lucky ducky and got a valid LEH Any Bull Moose Tag in Region 7 your not only in the big game your in the money.
-- Always apply for a try on Any Bull Moose leh in Region 7 if your serious about swampdonkey.
A truck with a small camper and some gas and yer gone. All pavement up to Reg 7 spur roads don't forget.
The closest the better to the Lower Strangeland and the Fraser Valley or the Rock, keep costs down.
So look south in Reg 7 regs and leh boundaries first. Mu's in Region 7 that are winners through and through.
Look at MU 7-7
Good moose along the Bowron River ( North of Hwy 16 ) note: North of hwy 16
access from Hwy 16 via Bateman Road, at the Bowron River bridge --- -----------------------------------------------------and access from Bowron River forest access road which leaves Hwy 16 about 8 km east of Purden lake.
Willow River:
--- Access from Hwy 16 along Willow River road which leaves Hwy 16 about 37 km east of Prince George.
Also reached from Buckhorn, 15 km south of P.G. on Hwy 97, and from Stoner, 30 km south of Prince George on the 97 Hwy.
This area can be warm to white hot moose hunting action, off the wall at the right time and place within this mu.
Not only good for moose hunting with good rabbit and grouse but has good access as well, a real gem of a unit
Mu 7-7 Willow River / Bowron River <---------///-= ANY BULL MOOSE LEH go MU 7-7 --=--///-------->
Jelly Willow - I was an oak now I'm a Willow I can bend, I use to be too stiff and rigid -- now I can move

dougal
05-06-2014, 11:44 PM
Your the best jel

RiverOtter
05-07-2014, 08:05 AM
Jelly Willow - I was an oak now I'm a Willow I can bend, I use to be too stiff and rigid -- now I can move

You realize they've created a "vitamin" for that, don't you Jello.....?

dougal
05-07-2014, 08:10 AM
Ok that got me laughing

BiG Boar
05-07-2014, 01:11 PM
What is your idea of a good hunt? Quad around looking for moose? Or 4 days of packing a moose on your back to the road? If you are trying to get away from the quading crowds you never will. If you can quad in, you're probably never going to be alone.

markomoose
05-07-2014, 01:25 PM
Almost anywhere in Region 7 you will bump into people.The further away from P.G. the less people .Lots of good spots just gotta explore.7-07 is good.The Parsnip area also good.North of P.G has plenty of moose.

finngun
05-07-2014, 01:53 PM
You realize they've created a "vitamin" for that, don't you Jello.....?
are yu talking about so called blue vitamin?????:confused::mrgreen:

carnivore
05-07-2014, 03:14 PM
are yu talking about so called blue vitamin?????:confused::mrgreen:

There is a generic form of the blue vitamin out now. It is called " mycoxaflopin":)

MichelD
05-07-2014, 04:00 PM
I have the same problem. I don't know many places really, but two that I know fairly well have been recently logged off so they're out for a while. I too have been thinking of Region 7 but where oh where to go? Dilemma time.

I have no quad but I like to walk. One buddy is 24 and tough and the other is 57 and worn out with numerous health issues. Me and the young guy could pack out a moose from a swamp somewhere, but the other guy has to hold the fort.

Jelvis
05-07-2014, 05:49 PM
MU 7-8
Hixon - Ahbau Lake

Hixon is on Hwy 97, 60 km south of Prince George. Access from Willow River road system, from Hixon via Hixon and Terry Creek roads, and from Ahbau Creek road about 25 km south of Hixon.
-- Fair to good moose hunting with a few deer thrown in.
JP Moregun -- Mu 7-8 is a moose hunters unit -- go for LEH Moose

dougal
05-07-2014, 06:37 PM
As to the blue pill I have heard of this rumor though I just don't understand it's purpose

and as to hunting style we generally drive in as far as we can and split up hiking over hill and dale to the areas we hunt. I'm not upposed to other hunters, campers or even day trippers there's lots "o" ppl out here in bc and expecting to be completely alone without flying into camp is unreasonable. The area we have frequented the most has usually had a few people pass through while we hunt. Had a few laughs and a couple after hour beers with some of the locals and for the most part it's a great place. In the last few years the population of hunters has increased allot and that's fine as hunters in bc they have the rite to go any place they feel is a good option. I feel it is nessisary as a hunter and an appreciator of the wilds of our beautiful Provence to be understanding and appreciate others equal desire to do the things I love. Who am I to tell someone in a legal and fair hunt to go some place else. But seeing as some of those attending the area feel it nessisary to drive 80km an hour on a back road not to mention when people pass you at Mach 10 just to turn a bend jump out of there truck and fire there rifle back through the bushes that seperate the hunter crossing the road and themselves or to blindly shoot uphill towards them. it just feels like a time for a change of scene. Thankfully I love hunting, camping and all kinda of outdoor adventures and as some would cringe at the thought we have all had our bad experiences. And the thought of branching out to a change of location will if nothing else give me and my group a few new opportunitys and in some kind of karmic fated twist of logic also reduce the pressure in the area we generally hunt giving everyone a little space to breath

Jelvis
05-07-2014, 06:44 PM
MU 7-9
Willow River West
Access from Willow River road system or from Hwy 97 at Buckhorn, Red Rock and several roads off highway between Red Rock and Hixon.
Fair to good moose hunting. A few bear and some rabbit.
Dag Nabbit
Jaylo --> GO for LEH MOOSE in MU 7-9 <-- and keep your fingers crossed -- > Wha Wha Whaaaa wha

dougal
05-07-2014, 06:49 PM
And after reading through all of this I realize I still didn't take my grade 5 teachers advice and use paragraphs to my advantage lol

Jelvis
05-07-2014, 07:28 PM
This is a good option to ponder
MU 7-14
Great Beaver

Access from Fort St James along Teardrop forest access road.
Good moose hunting country in here. Good place to try for the giant.
or a small one LEH ANY BULL MOOSE MU 7-14

hunter1947
05-08-2014, 05:24 AM
If I where you I would look up possible areas for good places to hunt I know google earth has helped me find places where elk WT sheds are..

dougal
05-08-2014, 05:58 AM
I google earth while referencing physical maps. I like having a good hard copy with me when I go out .... Drives the mrs nuts when I spred it all out marking mu boundrys lol

Jelvis
05-08-2014, 04:48 PM
MU 7-43
Halfway River
Good moose hunting, some caribou, access via 95 road 143 road at Pink Mountain.
Jel-Good moose -- Your in the Pink