PDA

View Full Version : Spatsizi Sheep draw

7 mag
02-24-2007, 07:57 AM
Well, Who all got drawn for the early Spatsizi Stone Sheep draw?
My partner & i will be trekking north for the opening, Looking forward to seeing that country.

srupp
02-24-2007, 02:18 PM
We put in STILL no word....

steven

srupp
02-26-2007, 11:33 AM
well FINALLY got word...YYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWW WW both Tim and I got our Spatsizi draws AND early spring Grizzly draws for the coast...4 tags !!!!! 2 sheep AND 2 Grizzlies....

Steven

BCrams
02-26-2007, 11:40 AM
Congrats on the draws fellows !!

Leaseman
02-26-2007, 01:57 PM
Nice on Stevie!!!!
It's now time to get rid of those horse shoes....:redface:

Mike

srupp
02-26-2007, 02:16 PM
ya all the luck is now gone..all 4 horseshoes ..on 4 tags....lmao...checked with my other bud..have his 26 foot boat and even get to do some hali fishing????

steven

Leaseman
02-26-2007, 02:42 PM
Steven, remember your friends that likt hali tooooo.....:tongue:

srupp
02-26-2007, 04:42 PM
no problem....heads or tails???OOPS....no problem Mike IF we hook any Hali..some nice packages coming at ya...

Steven

Kechika
02-26-2007, 06:26 PM
So now that you guys got the tags,how you getting in there?Plane Horse,foot?

quadrakid
02-26-2007, 07:06 PM
congrats guys, hope we get some great stories and pics.

srupp
02-26-2007, 08:08 PM
for sheep we are flying in..grizzly hunt by boat..coastal..

steven

boatdoc
02-26-2007, 09:27 PM
Way to go srupp!Glad to hear you got your draws.No luck for me this time.

srupp
02-26-2007, 10:19 PM
my hunting partner darn near passed out when I showed him the amazing results..both getting sheep and grizz...hunted the coastal area many times always seemed to get good bears..as for Stoners..still cherry after 6 years of trying...maybe Spatsizi will be the charmer ???

Steven

mark
02-27-2007, 08:02 AM
Congrads steve, you cant get any better luck that that!

srupp
02-28-2007, 09:01 PM
Thanks Mark..yes pretty darn lucky....but Id rather be lucky GETTING a stone sheep not just the draw...but its a start....

Now to see IF I can scrape enough bling for a grizzly rifle, the ol .270 isnt what I want to use....my partners got 2 rifles but..hmmmmmm maybe I could sell my wife on the idea its life insurance ???

Steven

Creeping Death
02-28-2007, 09:07 PM
way to go srupp! sound like another wannabe ledgend. whats wrong with the .270 ...if your good enough it wont be a prob for the grizz

Wild_Dog
02-28-2007, 09:08 PM
Hey Steve, if you need it, you can borrow my rem model 7 300 SAUM. Its mounted with a Leo 3-10 x 50 scope. Shoots real nice.

Jon

srupp
02-28-2007, 11:29 PM
HMMM creeping death..I'm having a "bad" day so I wont get into it with you..I have shot many many many animals ONLY with a .270..including grizzly..however that being said it isnt the BEST choice when going after coastal brown bears..not just for my own good my partner is also counting on me....

and rule # 1 is save the Paramedic...:lol:

since I cant see your expression I dont know about the wanna be legend
remark"..the just of your comments is just a little strange..however you can come view my trophy room..and realize I have NOTHING to prove to anyone....

Hi Jon...thanks but Tim is going to take his safari rifle..458?..something along those lines..I will take his 7mm rem mag ??? I have shot that before..and I used the 7mm of my twin brothers to harvest a pretty big coastal brown bear in the same locationwe are going in this spring..my 3rd LEH there...and the 7mm did well enough and Tim is there for backup.

Do you think 165 grain noslers are good bet??

Jon I APPRECIATE the offer..hey by the way Cariboo didnt load the bullets with sand ???lol( old inside joke....)

steven

Creeping Death
03-01-2007, 12:12 AM
when you last replyed to me it sounded like you had something to prove, but i'd love to view your trophy room....sounds pretty good having to borrow friends rifles, just like a pro hunter.....dont have the right tools for the job

Creeping Death
03-01-2007, 12:13 AM
just remember you started it

Gateholio
03-01-2007, 12:32 AM
when you last replyed to me it sounded like you had something to prove, but i'd love to view your trophy room....sounds pretty good having to borrow friends rifles, just like a pro hunter.....dont have the right tools for the job

Hmmm...I've been to Steves house, viewed his "trophy room"

Several nice rams, several very nice deer, a HUGE grizzly bear, several other really nice animals...

You got somethign to prove, Mr Çreeping Death? Becasue Steve doesn't.8-)

Creeping Death
03-01-2007, 12:34 AM
nothing to prove here...i know im good...and he probably is too..he just needs to realize hes not "ALL THAT"

Gateholio
03-01-2007, 01:10 AM
nothing to prove here...i know im good...and he probably is too..he just needs to realize hes not "ALL THAT"

SRUPP is a pretty great guy that has helped alot of people. He's not an egomanianc.

If he was, he'd stop posting about his persoanl experiences/advice/etc and start posting about how much better he is than everyone else- and there is a clear distinction.

It might behoove you to take notice of the difference.

boxhitch
03-01-2007, 03:57 AM
just remember you started it
:lol: :lol: :lol: Now, Thats intelligent !!!

calvin L
03-01-2007, 08:16 AM
Now I have read all the posts . Con grats to anyone getting a or a number of draws . I wish I could have been that lucky. I am sick of the nit picking B/S If you want to raise $h t do it else where ! I my self would shake a persons hand and say good luck .I did not read any thing as to anyone is ALL THAT AND MORE . Think twice before you post up please . This is the $h t that no one needs . As outdoorsman we need to stand together . So my challenge is to everyone on here stand tall beside the one next to you be proud and support all outdoorman .

Calvin L

Leaseman
03-01-2007, 08:17 AM
Just a comment for you Creeping Death....Steven has LOTS of friends on these site(S)....play nice!

Mike

p.s. attitude is everything8)

StoneChaser
03-01-2007, 08:49 AM
way to go srupp! sound like another wannabe ledgend. whats wrong with the .270 ...if your good enough it wont be a prob for the grizz

Who is this clown?

While I've never met Srupp, I've seen him on this site enough to get a feel of character.

I've yet to see another that offers as much advice/support for hunters, and will even go as far as to hand out maps of some areas he knows well:smile:

To top it off, I never even knew he had a good trophy room.... shows ya how much of a "legend' he is trying to be.

Should I ever be heading though his neck of the woods with a little time to spare, I'd gladly stop and buy him a beer.

Not so sure I can say the same for you there Creepy.

StoneChaser

PS I dig the laughing polar bear on your Avatar...looks like it should be in a Coca Cola ad?

Kechika
03-01-2007, 08:59 AM
One legend per site please.Dana dont like the competition:lol:

srupp
03-01-2007, 01:23 PM
Kechika....now THAT is funny....:lol:

Yesterday I was confused at where Creeping death was coming from..today your comments have offended me . And that takes some doing.IN one aspect CD your right it isnt very good borrowing anyones weapon ...however it IS humbling to have 15 individuals in 48 hours come forth and volinteer to loan me their weapons from 7mm to 300 Weatherby magnums....
When I guided for grizzly I had access to many weapons ..now I prefer to help other hunters with my experience and knowlege behind the scenes..

I wish I could afford a second rifle....but after being injured at work and losing 4OK over the past 4 years and as a Paramedic not seeing a raise in 5 years things are "tight" financially...and I have 3 hunts this year....a grizzly hunt AND stone sheep fly in LEH for Spatsizi AND a fly in moose hunt...so buying a second rifle means missing 2 hunts...not acceptable trade...lol

I am NOT trying to be anything , Im just another hunter with a lot of experience and not without my successes I dont mean to nor try to brag.

I have attempted to help anyone who asked or needed help with spots to hunt and where and when...this season alone 6 hunters have been in contact re cariboo and coastal bear hunts....whatever they need I attempt to help..its who I am...

I am not a wanna be anything...my succeses speak for themselves...
as for a PRO hunter...er YA if PRO MEANS PROFESSIONAL I was a paid guide....never failed to get a moose or grizzly for my clients 100% success rate ...not bad..

I do have the tools for the hunt..I know when what I have is not the right tool for the job...to go after coastal brown bears (we have 2 tags ) with the wrong rifle puts BOTH my partner and me at risk and maybe allow a magnificant ANIMAL to crawl away hurt and suffer...

To all those that offered rifles thanks I appreciate the numerous offers...any one that I DONT have to return the weapon???lol

Now lets stop this and get back to hunting...

Creeping death I live in Williams LAKE AND MY TROPHY room and a coffe is always available...

Steven Rupp

MB_Boy
03-01-2007, 01:47 PM
Who is this clown?

While I've never met Srupp, I've seen him on this site enough to get a feel of character.

I've yet to see another that offers as much advice/support for hunters, and will even go as far as to hand out maps of some areas he knows well:smile:

To top it off, I never even knew he had a good trophy room.... shows ya how much of a "legend' he is trying to be.

Should I ever be heading though his neck of the woods with a little time to spare, I'd gladly stop and buy him a beer.

?

Ditto here........could be the most helpful and sincere guy I have seen on these forums. I too would love to sit and have a coffee or beer with him.....MY treat and NO exceptions.:wink:

7mmWSM
03-01-2007, 02:10 PM
I will echo my sentiments on SRUPP's reputation, I have been on the recieving end of his advice and it is much appreciated. This is a hunting site (and a good one at that) not a site for venting and proving egos.

srupp
03-01-2007, 04:19 PM
Good its settled this IS a hunting site again, Thanks for the EMAIL Creeping Death....good points you make.

I do have some good news I think I conned..er connvinced My Alberta Buddy.... Phil to come along as camera man ...this area we are going to allows some awesome chances at good video..hopefully some harvest video???And we will do some Halibut fishing as well...and Red Deers halibut run has been a bit poor in recent years...:cry:

This IS a great site as are other hunting sites in BC, we are blessed with the most diverse game selection in north america and immense open free hunting spaces and pretty liberal quotas and long seasons....we have many knowlegable individuals with years of experince on many subjects and I always enjoy learning when I visit.....

thanks

Steven

Stone Sheep Steve
03-01-2007, 04:28 PM
Looking forward to report and video Steven!!8-) I'm sure you'll have a blast!!
You may want to re-read Gate's account of their last trip to get a reminder of what NOT to do:lol: ! On second thought, don't, as I would love to read another story like that!!:)
Phil's a lucky man!

SSS

Gateholio
03-01-2007, 04:43 PM
Hmm...don't forget paddles....don't run low on gas...Don't rush shots on wolves...8-)

take a bigger boat!!:lol:

SteadyGirl
03-01-2007, 04:58 PM
...8-)

take a bigger boat!!:lol:

Hmmm I don't know the story on that one but I had fun with the vision:lol:

Srupp! Congrats - Thank the odds for the draw, and save the horseshoes/ luck for when you need cooperative weather and rams. Nobody diserves it more so hopefully you come back with your ram!!

dana
03-01-2007, 05:21 PM
Srupp,
Congrats on the tags man. That is freakin' awesome. Looking forward to reading the play by play latter this spring from the grizz hunt and then this summer from the sheep hunt. Hope you are finally able to get one of those monster stones on your wall. I'm sure your Cali's are in need of a new companion. :) Your character definately shines through. I personally would have hammered CD but you took the higher road. Best of luck to you during your hunts and hope you get several monsters on the ground.

srupp
03-01-2007, 06:39 PM
Thanks Clark, lora (great to hear from you) Dana...its a awesome result NOW WITH THREE GRIZZLY TAGS!!!Lots of video and lots of photos

I am humbled by the great friends I have met .....

Steven

Deaddog
03-01-2007, 10:41 PM
CD... You are Waaaaaay of base, been to stevens house, seen his trophys, he is one hundred percent stand up guy. DD

Yeti
03-02-2007, 01:22 AM
Who is this clown?

StoneChaser

PS I dig the laughing polar bear on your Avatar...looks like it should be in a Coca Cola ad?

Any one who has a problem with Creeping Death can contact me at:778 229 7818. OR JNORQUIST@WESTCOASTRESORTS.COM. HE HAS NOT BROKEN ANY HBC RULES SO IF YOU HAVE AN ISSUE PLEASE CONTACT ME. IF YOU WANT TO HAVE FURTHER INFORMATION ON THIS "CLOWN" PLEASE LET ME KNOW. DON'T TAKE YOURSELF TO SERIOUSLY!

JAMES NORQUIST
LODGE MANAGER, ENGLEFIELD BAY
1 800 810 8933
CELL 778 229 7814
JNORQUIST@WEATCOASTRESORTS.COM

Gateholio
03-02-2007, 02:04 AM
Any one who has a problem with Creeping Death can contact me at:778 229 7818. OR JNORQUIST@WESTCOASTRESORTS.COM. HE HAS NOT BROKEN ANY HBC RULES SO IF YOU HAVE AN ISSUE PLEASE CONTACT ME. IF YOU WANT TO HAVE FURTHER INFORMATION ON THIS "CLOWN" PLEASE LET ME KNOW. DON'T TAKE YOURSELF TO SERIOUSLY!

JAMES NORQUIST
LODGE MANAGER, ENGLEFIELD BAY
1 800 810 8933
CELL 778 229 7814
JNORQUIST@WEATCOASTRESORTS.COM

Well, actualy, yeah he has broken some rules, including the "no illegal discussions" rule, where he said on a For Sale rifle Post that he was (and I quote) "looking for unregistered"

Which I promptly deleted, since illegal talk is not appreciated here- Although I personally have big issues wiht the registry...

Also, he has broken these rules a couple of times

4. Keep it Civil means Keep it Civil!

5. If you’ve got a bone to pick with another member use the email or PM system not the forum

"Creeping Death" has made a number of comments that arouses the interest of us that like to kep the forum civil (even if we /you/them/us/they/him/her) don't agree with something.

So, I don't know who you are or why you feel the need to jump up and give us your contact info, but the intraweb and HBC is pretty easy.

Play nice, and everyone will play nice with you. Be a dick, an the same will come to you. You reap what you sow.8-)

Yeti
03-02-2007, 03:24 AM
Well, actualy, yeah he has broken some rules, including the "no illegal discussions" rule, where he said on a For Sale rifle Post that he was (and I quote) "looking for unregistered"

Which I promptly deleted, since illegal talk is not appreciated here- Although I personally have big issues wiht the registry...

5. If you’ve got a bone to pick with another member use the email or PM system not the forum

"Creeping Death" has made a number of comments that arouses the interest of us that like to kep the forum civil (even if we /you/them/us/they/him/her) don't agree with something.

So, I don't know who you are or why you feel the need to jump up and give us your contact info, but the intraweb and HBC is pretty easy.

Play nice, and everyone will play nice with you. Be a dick, an the same will come to you. You reap what you sow.8-)

Have fun in your union job!!!

I will tell you who I am and why I want to give you my contact info. I have an overall interest in this site. It will make me a shit load of money in the future. Watch it!!!

Yeti
03-02-2007, 03:27 AM

Come meet me at Abbottsford

Yeti
03-02-2007, 03:27 AM
Simmer the **** down on your forum!!!!!!!

boxhitch
03-02-2007, 07:31 AM
I guess the bars are closed.

mark
03-02-2007, 08:51 AM
Im no mod, but, bye, bye, Yeti!

Kechika
03-02-2007, 08:55 AM
Sure is a lot of Dicks out there.

srupp
03-02-2007, 09:07 AM
Back to SHEEP HUNTING...has anyone here ever drawn the Spatsizi stone sheep tag? and actually gone in after stoners???I am always willing to listen to experience...

Steven

StoneChaser
03-02-2007, 09:09 AM

Nice knowin' ya troll.....

I will tell you who I am and why I want to give you my contact info. I have an overall interest in this site. It will make me a shit load of money in the future. Watch it!!!

You must make a killing in the service industry...such great people skills:lol:

StoneChaser

StoneChaser
03-02-2007, 09:13 AM
Back to SHEEP HUNTING...has anyone here ever drawn the Spatsizi stone sheep tag? and actually gone in after stoners???I am always willing to listen to experience...

Steven

I know one guy that has been in there 3 times and taken rams, and a buddy of mine hunted it 2 years ago (got into legal rams but couldn't connect).

Another buddy of mine has drawn this year and will likely be heading to the same area....definatly rams in there, and some good'uns...I'm sure you'll do well!

StoneChaser

youngfellla
03-02-2007, 09:37 AM

Steven

My dad & I went for stones once. Saw plenty of sheep, but I didn't want to hammer the first legal ram I saw. Never ended up connecting with anything.

bighornbob
03-02-2007, 09:42 AM
Well I guess I wont be heading to West Coast Resorts any time soon. Great way to advertise a company by having the guy who runs it spout off on a public forum. Way to go.:-(

BHB

Stone Sheep Steve
03-02-2007, 10:08 AM
Well I guess I wont be heading to West Coast Resorts any time soon. Great way to advertise a company by having the guy who runs it spout off on a public forum. Way to go.:-(

BHB

Is that REALLY who he is?? Or is he just trying to cause them grief???

SSS

BCrams
03-02-2007, 10:10 AM
One way to find out is for someone to give a quick call asking for the name of the fellow.

Back to the Spatsizi forum.

BCrams
03-02-2007, 10:50 AM
Here's a 180 B&C taken from the Spatsizi in the old days. A 178 ram was also taken on the same trip.

Enjoy.

Gateholio
03-02-2007, 12:16 PM
Great pic, Rams..Is the hunter a relative?

I love those old pictures, the guys are always wearing jeans and cotton..makes you wonder:lol:

I suppose they were tougher than us though!8-)

BCrams
03-02-2007, 12:23 PM
They sure were alot tougher than us. Consider the fact this party did not even use horses for their hunt. Just straight backpacking.....then you need to consider the type of gear they had back then compared to now!

He is not a relative.

srupp
03-02-2007, 12:30 PM
BCRAMS...oH my GOODNESS !!!!WHAT A RAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In my dreams...everynite before I crawl into bed I plead with the Man upstairs to help me on this quest..only to have my wife mutter about my praying for sheep before crawling into bed...ya must sound pretty crazy..but a sheep like that would be a dream....

Thanks BCRAMS for the photo.....

dare to dream stevie dare to dream..

Steven

brno375
03-04-2007, 05:47 PM
Pick up "Bighorns and Stone Sheep" by Chris Kind. The WSS carries it.

srupp
03-04-2007, 06:27 PM
wss???

steven

brno375
03-04-2007, 06:30 PM
www.wildsheepsociety.org (http://www.wildsheepsociety.org)

The Hermit
03-05-2007, 08:44 AM
Great luck on the draws you lucky sot! Don't forget to take a video camera and if you need to borrow one of those let me know! Cheers

srupp
03-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Thanks Hermit...I have a good video camera and a great little digital camera...

Steven

300 wsm
03-05-2007, 02:06 PM
I Was Denied For Grizz This Year I Put In For Golden

Davinci
03-05-2007, 09:02 PM
I found out last week I won the sheep draw. I'm a new hunter as of last year with a great experience in Idaho and my first elk followed by a nice white tail near Grand Forks--really a great year for a nubi like myself...I've been doing some research on the Spatsizi, beautiful country---we really do live in the best province, in the best country.

If there is anyone who is interested in sharing a guide during august let me know (fair chase hunters need only respond). My hunting partner has volunteered to be camp cook. I just got the new leupold vxl and can't wait to try it out in the spatsizi...I am planning to trade my vanguard 300wsm for a T3 Lite in 300wsm...my hunting partner just got one, great engineering and the clip is great...counting down the days until my first sheep hunt:).

Davinci
03-05-2007, 09:15 PM
www.wildsheepsociety.org (http://www.wildsheepsociety.org)

What a great web site...we need a similar society for Caraboo in BC.

srupp
03-06-2007, 03:27 AM
caribou..? lol..congradulations I have hunted HARD for 30 years and this will be my first trip into Spatsizi, I am really stoked and have been studying my arse off on stone sheep..and have the BLESSINGS of a couple of very experienced Stone sheep fanatics ...map work and losing weight..and treadmill.....and getting the appropriate time off work..satphone rental...

BUT first we need to get down the coastal area and harvest our three grizzlies we also drew tags on....lots of phone calls and preperation...

GOOD LUCK AND STRAIGHT SHOOTING..

Steven

boxhitch
03-06-2007, 06:34 AM
Congrats on the draw. Are you hiring someone to take you in ? Sometimes that is a good bet, to help ensure things go right.

If there is anyone who is interested in sharing a guide during august let me know (fair chase hunters need only respond).
'Fair' chase leaves me out. I only go 'full tilt' chase.

srupp
03-06-2007, 09:03 AM
Davinci..are you AWARE of the costs $$$$$$$ of a STONE SHEEP HUNT???

Man thats one of THE most priciest hunts in the Province..and Collingwoods the guides will be TRES expensive??...yes horses..yes planes.. yes camp cooks..but wow..I certainly cant afford $18,000 -$25,000..

steven

brno375
03-06-2007, 12:03 PM
I think hiring a packer would be the best bet. When you recieved your happy letter in the mail, did you not get a list of businesses that provide services into the park? I did with a caribou draw 4 years ago.

scuba
03-06-2007, 01:07 PM
flights into the park are fairly reasonable, i don't think hiring a guide would be the way to go. if you are going to spend that kind of money go on a dall or bighorn hunt somewhere we can't hunt as a resident (alaska, yukon, nwt, alberta etc) if you have good lungs and a good set of legs you could even do a 14 day hike into the park.

boxhitch
03-07-2007, 12:55 PM
What Packers are available to hire, for a trip into the Spat ? No one on the rivers anymore.

youngfellla
03-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Here's a list of the Air Charter Companies permitted in Spatsizi -

North Pacific Seaplanes Float plane base located on Tatogga Lake near Iskut, BC (250) 234-3525 or call Tatogga Lake Resort at (250) 234-3526
Alpine Lakes Air Ltd. Float plane base located on Tyhee Lake near Telkwa, BC (250) 846-9488
Pacific Western Helicopters Ltd. Dease Lake, BC (250) 771-5911
Canadian Helicopters Ltd. Smithers, BC (250) 847-9444
Vancouver Island Helicopters Ltd. Head Office, Sidney, BC (250) 656-3987This from the MOE website.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/spatsizi.html

bighornbob
03-07-2007, 02:40 PM
I hope the helicopter compabies have float planes becuase you cant use a copter to fly hunters or supplies for hunting.

You can use the copters for hiking and fishing but not hunting.

BHB