PDA

View Full Version : Second thought about black bear hunting.

alexboyprin
05-03-2014, 10:47 AM
Hello! I am having second toughts about black bear hunting and I would welcome positive comments that could help me go over my worries. You see, I love to hunt but I want it to have a purpose. When I kill a bear, my wife and my daughter to not want to eat it. I do not relish the idea of eating bear too and I feel guilty about killing a bear and not eating it. I am thinking that if I make it into salami, may be it would work for me.
But, I am not sure it would work. I do not feel the same about deer or moose. Is it ethical to kill a bear for the fur and give the meat away for dog food?

Is there other people feeling the same as me about that? If so, I would like to hear from you.

Thanks!
Alexboy

monasheemountainman
05-03-2014, 10:50 AM
Don't hunt them then, but you are missing out on some great pep, sausage, hams, and burgers

skid
05-03-2014, 11:00 AM
bear stew is the best stew myself and my wife have ever eaten

dougal
05-03-2014, 11:04 AM
i have had simmilar discussions with ppl over the years. i personaly love to hunt ,the harvest portion is always thrilling as we all know
but like some hunters and anglers i have met they dont all like the meat. some anglers catch and release. but as hunters we have no way of undoing our choice to shoot. personaly i love bear i have had stews, ham, peperoni and its all been fantastic but like deer,lamb,moose any meat beyond commercial beef most ppl havent aquired a taste for it so its foregn and scary too them. it all comes down to choice if you want to try a bear in a different way ....pep,salami ect you might just find that its absoulutly amazing if the meat isnt your style for me it comes down to just not hunting them. though im not into hunting for trophys some do and thats ok aswell just as long as the meat isnt being wasted. you dont have to toss perfecly good meat to the dogs most hunting and shooting clubs will have access to places the meat can go beyond just letting it go to one very well fed happy puppy.

hope this helps some

GoatGuy
05-03-2014, 11:19 AM
Wife thought the same thing, until she shot one and had two double smoked hams and some pepperoni made. Now she's right into bear hunting.

RiverOtter
05-03-2014, 11:24 AM
I view black bears about the same as coyotes, a fur bearer.....

I have no problem following the letter of the law regarding black bears, which would be removing the meat to your house, then turning around and returning it to nature. I have eaten some, given more away, and used a LOT to bait marten boxes and bobcat cubbies.

If you choose to dispose of the carcass(Once the legal requirement is met), please choose a spot away from high visibility and/or high use areas.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-03-2014, 11:56 AM
Do you do your own butchering??
How about just turning the whole thing into burger? The meat is usually very neutral smelling and makes for great ground for spaghetti, lasagna or chili.
That is a lot of straight ground meat so we also get some turned into sausage mix with 20% pork trim ....... don't bother with stuffing and package it into 1 lb packs. Makes awesome burgers for the BBQ!

My wife used to be of the same mindset as I had one iffy bear due to hot weather. Now she's re-converted and loves it.

SSS

Rhyno
05-03-2014, 12:02 PM
I don't think you know what your missing! Give it a try......maybe 1/2 into ground and the other half into pepp or sausage. Worst case you can give the sausage away and feed the ground to a dog. My guess is that you will be wishing you had more. My wife or I take a bear each year for smokies and pepperoni, doesn't last long in our house.

Get out there and find yourself a bear!

Hunter49
05-03-2014, 12:05 PM
I had my first bear sausage last year...best wild game ever. No strong odour or taste. I can hardly wait to head out to get another one. Don't waste the meat on your dog!

olympia
05-03-2014, 12:05 PM
just don't do it if your second guessing yourself, not just bear hunting but anything in life. If your having 2nd thoughts about going to work, DONT DO IT, if your having 2nd about wiping, DONT DO IT, if your having 2nd thoughts buying that Browning BLR in SS for $1250, DONT DO IT

05-03-2014, 12:11 PM
Your missing out if used correctly, as said unbelievable smoked hams, sausage, buger and chops ....... Can't eat the hide, tons of them around ....... Have fun dealing with your first though, their fat is just like a porker.

I'll be looking for one or two this year

Trav
05-03-2014, 12:15 PM
we prefer bear meat over deer. it is really good for burgers, sausages and spagetti. going to try the smoked hams this year as soon as we get one down.

Drillbit
05-03-2014, 12:15 PM
I view black bears about the same as coyotes, a fur bearer.....

I have no problem following the letter of the law regarding black bears, which would be removing the meat to your house, then turning around and returning it to nature. I have eaten some, given more away, and used a LOT to bait marten boxes and bobcat cubbies.

If you choose to dispose of the carcass(Once the legal requirement is met), please choose a spot away from high visibility and/or high use areas.

^I aggree.

There's nothing wrong with the meat though, try to get your family to try it before they decide if they like it or not. I have no problem with feeding it do dogs/pigs either.

I hunt them because they eat calves in the spring. Whether it be moose. elk or "slow elk". They are competition for food sources.

Kudu
05-03-2014, 01:04 PM
Hello! I am having second toughts about black bear hunting and I would welcome positive comments that could help me go over my worries. You see, I love to hunt but I want it to have a purpose. When I kill a bear, my wife and my daughter to not want to eat it. I do not relish the idea of eating bear too and I feel guilty about killing a bear and not eating it. I am thinking that if I make it into salami, may be it would work for me.
But, I am not sure it would work. I do not feel the same about deer or moose. Is it ethical to kill a bear for the fur and give the meat away for dog food?

Is there other people feeling the same as me about that? If so, I would like to hear from you.

Thanks!
Alexboy

We don't hunt bear - just grew up hunting in a bear free environment. Having said that - I don't think that there is anything wrong with hunting bears - we just don't do it. We really don't feel as if we are missing out on anything either - not with all the other critters available to hunt in BC.

Fella
05-03-2014, 01:10 PM
You can always give your meat away to others who enjoy it!

Foxton Gundogs
05-03-2014, 01:17 PM
So here's the question WHY won' you and your family eat bear? Have you/they tried it and not like it or is it strictly mental. If so try some pep and sausage if someone will give you some and take it from there. Bear meat is great you are missing a treat.

Fella
05-03-2014, 01:21 PM
My wife at first didn't like the idea of eating bear, but I explained how they have healthy numbers, they're 100% free range and organic. The kicker was when she tried some sausage and she was hooked. The meat is very tasty (provided the animal wasn't eating garbage or fish)

r106
05-03-2014, 01:37 PM
I say go out and get one. Get a it made into a wide variety of different things. You wont know if you like it until you try it. Pepperoni, Smokies, salami and hams seems to be the favorites

The last bear I got the whole thing made into peperoni. I love it, inlaws love it, dad loves it. Grandpa ( RIP ) loved it and friends love it too. It's surprising how fast 100+ pounds of pepperoni will go.

Steeleco
05-03-2014, 01:42 PM
If you have any doubt then I'd say don't do it. But as you've read by now you very well could be missing out on some very fine table fare!!

BCBRAD
05-03-2014, 01:56 PM
Smokies and ham are good,( Roger's in PG do a fine job of them) but bear short ribs in some Asian type sauce then canned in mason jars has got to be the best.

russm
05-03-2014, 03:19 PM
Just shoot one and see how you like it, if it's not your thing it shouldn't be hard to find someone to take it.

Lillypuff
05-03-2014, 04:07 PM
I will not shoot another bear. I could not get over the thought of eating it after skinning it it looked too much like a human. I have tried it numerous times and I just can't enjoy it. Although nothing beats springtime in the bush

Kami
05-03-2014, 04:24 PM
I sort of am on the the same page as the original poster. I love hunting, and would love to get out right now in the spring but I, nor my family have any intentions of eating bear. I don't want a bear rug in my house really either. I get invited on these bear hunts but I have been lucky so far and not seen one to shoot at. I love the outdoors, and love hunting, but a bear is off my list. I will still probably go out on a group bear hunt, buy a tag and help pay a little to the wildlife system, but I'll look the other way if I see one out there. LOL. :-D

albravo2
05-03-2014, 05:02 PM
This thread has me drooling. I was on the fence because local bears are probably fish bears, but after hearing about how tasty they are I'm keen to put my new smoker to work. Plus, I've always wanted a hide.

Foxton Gundogs
05-03-2014, 05:24 PM
This thread has me drooling. I was on the fence because local bears are probably fish bears, but after hearing about how tasty they are I'm keen to put my new smoker to work. Plus, I've always wanted a hide.
Only when the salmon are running spring bears are good, fall berry bears are better. Go up.......Waaaayyyy up.

M.Dean
05-03-2014, 05:54 PM
Your reasons for not shooting a Bear are exactly the same reasons I haven't shot a Bear, Ever!!! I've shot a few after the fact, a buddy took the first shot, and I added a few to make sure it was down, but I never went hunting them to eat or for the hides. And believe me, there's a few that haunt me! I've seen two or three that were absolute hogs! One was the wildest light brown I've ever seen, and a decent size too. I kick my ass for that one, it would sure look good hanging on the wall in my gun room! But, I think this maybe the year for me to take one, the Wife and I have talked about it a number of times over the winter, we'd like to try to make a few bear ham's, Bear bacon??? I heard they taste like Pig's, and our bacon last year from our pigs was great, and with the rest, I'll take it to town and get Gary's Deli to make some Smokies, Pepperoni and fresh Sausage. So, that's my reason to finally go get a Bear this spring, so Alex, now all's you have to do if you want to go out and shoot a Bear is come up with a game plan on what your going to do with it! Hey, and even if we don't shoot a decent Bear this spring, at least were out there riding around with a Rifle, what more can a guy ask fore??? Good Luck!

BearStump
05-03-2014, 06:22 PM
I see your point. and I've shot a bunch of bears. when you pick up 200 lbs of pepperoni from the butcher its ridiculous, and makes you wonder if youll ever get to the end of it. I now look at it differently. if I end up with 200 lbs of useable meat, how about 10 lbs of homemade jerky. maybe several batches of only 2 or 3 lbs. experimenting with different recipies and flavours. then throw 10 lbs in with your 25 lb batch of deer sausage. another 20 lbs of garlic coils that i can cook over the fire when the beers are flowing at the campsite thriugh the summer. I also enjoy using the claws and making little bead necklaces with the kids. hey, its better than watching more cartoons. I think I might do a little reading and try my hand at tanning a throw rug with the next bear. I've already got two nice full bear rugs, dont need anymore unless tgey are really spectacular.

If you are'nt going to use the bear, dont kill it. but theres lots that can be done with them. I get alot of satisfaction when a buddy says "get outta here thats not bear!" after trying some garlic coil. or when you give some "mooose" sausage to a friend and after he raves about how good it was and offers to buy some from you then tell him that it was bear. lol

hunter fisher
05-03-2014, 06:31 PM
last year i shot a nice coyote. took it home, skinned it, took the carcass back to the field that night and left it. went to check it out in the morning.... pure bone. not a scrap of meat left on it. whether you eat it, you feed it to your dogs, or some wild dogs (yotes) or hawks or eagles eat it, does it matter? its all getting used and nothing gets wasted. makes sense to me. i would encourage you to go hunt that bear, hopefully you will come home with a nice rug and some great memories of the bush

GoatGuy
05-03-2014, 07:31 PM
I will not shoot another bear. I could not get over the thought of eating it after skinning it it looked too much like a human. I have tried it numerous times and I just can't enjoy it. Although nothing beats springtime in the bush

Hahaha, do you think this has to do with your reaction to seeing a dead animal?

swampthing
05-03-2014, 07:43 PM
I am not into plain old bear steaks either. I mix bear meat with other scrap meat from other game animals to make sausage or pepperoni. I hunt bears every year but I haven't shot one in a long time. I stalk them and drop the hammer on an empty chamber. I call that a kill and then jump up, scare the crap out of it and go look for another one to stalk. Plenty of fun.

HarryToolips
05-03-2014, 07:52 PM

Thanks!
Alexboy

Just go blast one and eat it, it ain't gonna kill ya, listen to everybody else it'll taste good if ya butcher it right..

1980skywalker
05-03-2014, 08:06 PM
As people have said bear can taste awesome, I also had a hard time getting over the fact that it was a bear. The most important thing is to properly care for your animal after the kill, gut it and get the hide off as soon as possible, then get the meat to a cooler immediately. I started out as a fisherman and I would constantly see fishermen return to the cleaning table with salmon that had been baking in the sun all day. They would then butcher them, badly, and spray the fillets down with a high pressure hose, you could literally see the color being stripped out of the meat. Ever wonder why people would then complain their fish tastes fishy? Could it possibly be the same reason why people complain their game tastes gamey??

Jelvis
05-03-2014, 08:09 PM
sometimes because of beliefs and spiritual teaching we don't feel right eating certain mammals
and when we hunt, we hunt for what we chase, our choice, no one else's.
When we search we find, when we find, we either take the safety off or leave it on. Another choice we need to make
--- some people's diets won't allow bear meat to eat, yet some others relish the bear meat
--- some eat pork and some can't eat pork because of their upbringing teachings from their window of life.
Some do, some don't, some will, some won't.
I know what your saying about second thoughts and I went through this after my shot at a bear. Years before I shot a six foot six blackbear and was happy with that, got the head stuffed then years later after shooting at a bear, I decided to forget bear hunting for me.
So I like moose meat better and even deer better my self and that's my choice.
I don't want to know all the reasons about should I or not. That's all up to the finger on the trigger or not?
Your pulling the trigger and no one else but you. Personally I shot a big black bear already so don't need another cuz I don't eat them, simple as that.
Jel--It's all up to the person with the gun whether they do or don't

markomoose
05-03-2014, 10:07 PM
This is my HIT LIST for eats!Moose FIRST /Elk SECOND/ Bear THIRD /Deer LAST.Bear meat is wicked if shot /cleaned & prepared correctly.My family thought it was wrong some 20+ years ago.Now they love it!!I've had more bad eating experiences with Bambi than Yogi! Shoot & enjoy Cheers Mark!

604redneck
05-03-2014, 11:20 PM
If u shoot a bear in the okanagan Message me and I will take the meat but force u to eat some salami and smokies I have made up. I bet u anything u will walk out wit the meat at the end of it.

Jelvis
05-03-2014, 11:36 PM
What about worms? The strick a noses? lol
Jel -- got yah worms in the meat strands and freezing will not kill it, whaaaaaaaaaaaaa??? Tok 2 meimfreakinwormsi'mgoingtobesickomg

Chopper
05-04-2014, 01:30 AM
Yep ... go dump a black bear and give the meat away. I understand your reservations but , there are a lot of Black bears out there. Go dump a hog and feed it to some dogs.

Don't waste it but , if you don't want to eat it don't worry about it ... your Good to go

hunter1947
05-04-2014, 03:26 AM

Thanks!
Alexboy

Your thoughts are the same way I think I don't like to eat bear meat and I won't shoot the animal just for its fur ya ya I have heard form members
say give the meat away or put the meat into peperoni or other I don't think of it this way..

I always have been a firm believer I shoot what I eat and that's the way I feel and I am not going to change my thoughts ,,my thoughts regarding
your thread is do what your thoughts are and you won't
go wrong..

RoscoeP
05-04-2014, 07:04 AM
I don't hunt bear for other reasons and I don't think you should if that is the way you feel, I mean just to go out and kill something when your heart is not in it makes no sense. Cheers

alexboyprin
05-04-2014, 07:25 AM
Thank you very much for all your comments. Most of you say that bear meat is very good and I believe you. As a matter of fact, I did eat bear meat a long time ago. I remember it was good but fat. I may have made a mistake with my wife and daughter because, once, I killed a bear and I eviscerate him in front of my wife and my 7 years old daughter and I think they were traumatized by the view of the innards, blood etc. I will try again making it in sausage and not telling them at first :)!

nature girl
05-04-2014, 07:29 AM
Just get out and shoot yourself a bear. You could always make bear jerky that is good. I myself like to have it made into sausages or salami or something.
Get a bear skull done and make your wife a bear claw necklace and your daughter one to.

tracker
05-04-2014, 07:54 AM
Just get out and shoot yourself a bear. You could always make bear jerky that is good. I myself like to have it made into sausages or salami or something.
Get a bear skull done and make your wife a bear claw necklace and your daughter one to.

Well said , I like the way you think..

tomahawk
05-04-2014, 10:38 AM
if you can get past the stigma of "bear meat" and harvest a good bear (not from tidal flats) it is great eats! Best burger by far IMHO and ham's are out of this world!
Its mind over matter to be able to eat it!!

kevan
05-04-2014, 08:46 PM
Jel -- got yah worms in the meat strands and freezing will not kill it, whaaaaaaaaaaaaa??? Tok 2 meimfreakinwormsi'mgoingtobesickomg

I filled two Black Bear tags in 1993, last time I'll ever shoot a Bear.
The carcasses were so full of worms the COs at Dawson took them and destroyed them, that put me off ever hunting Bear again....

markomoose
05-04-2014, 09:08 PM

Hey Jelvis Nothing can kill you your invinceable!!

Jelvis
05-04-2014, 09:36 PM
I hear yah kevan and I'm the same way, the worms just make my mind say NO, OH NO NO WAY OK OHZAY
yah know whad i'm sayin?
jelrock -- DOH! -- You don't need to see me eat and "Don't lick yer fingy's" Worms crawling like wiggly strings

yamadirt 426
05-05-2014, 12:16 PM
Well I just finished a roast Bear sandwich while typing this. Bread, mayo, honey mustard, cucumber ,lettuce and cheese. Was made from the back strap I cooked last night. Cut super thin. So friken good ! This was a mountain bear and I'll bet your girlfriend would never ever know that she wasn't eating roast beef. I am going to make another one now. Do not get both hams smoked and with liquid smoke. It's going to the dogs. Try one to see if you like it. Was my experience anyhow. My bear rib off against my deer. Bear won hands down.

yamadirt 426
05-05-2014, 01:01 PM
Well I only got to eat the first half of my second sandwich because my wife came home and finished it off. Fantastic protein to sit beside a wack of veggies. I've also done stew, Asian lettuce wrap, ground meat for chilli, burgers. Very versatile and the best thing is no one will know what's in that shepards pie that is tasting so good.

05-05-2014, 01:18 PM
Try it, if it dont work dont do it again.... Sausage and pep,, etc are great.
i ate a half a bear all my self a couple years ago in pep and Brats,,, brought them to work..

i could see if you were 110% because you tried it and didnt like it not shooting a bear again..... but try it once!

Go high up a mountain away from a salmon stream or tide flat. And shoot a bear.
bears are what they eat, not all created equal. You need to wack one that lives its ife on the mountain.

MichelD
05-05-2014, 01:27 PM
I have to respect that. If you don't have any personal use for the bear, then don't do it.

Iron Glove
05-05-2014, 03:54 PM
I've eaten my share of bear and simply don't like it. The wife feels the same way.
Many dog owners, particularly raw fooders like us, will not feed bear to their dogs because of worms and such.
My personal code of ethics, which I don't try to defend or justify to others is that I will only kill what I eat.
Everyone has their own personal ethics and as long as it's legal I won't criticize them.
Our Son, on the other hand, loves bear, it's his favourite meat and I often buy a bear tag to accompany him on his hunt.
To the OP, follow yor feelings, you are the only one that counts.

Jelvis
05-06-2014, 05:47 PM
I told you b4 I went through the exact same thing you are asking about. I shot one nice boar and after that, I said I'm not shooting any bear unless it's bearin down on me, oh if the bear is coming at me to mix it up and I got my ott 6, the safety will be put to off.
I shot at one more black bear b4 deciding to forget hunting bear, I was up the Chilliwack valley off shoot spur road and saw a nice sized black bear and it was open. About 300 out and when I shot the bear moved quick and ran into the thick vine maples and some devil's club in clumps of round patches.
I looked and looked and my buddies looked but couldn't find dick.
That was decades ago and never shot another bar agin. Nothing shameful about that. I'm a hunter still.
Jelly Bee, Lots of black bears in BC to hunt if you want one, tons of black bear nothing wrong with bear hunting

lone wolf
05-06-2014, 05:59 PM
Had a few , jerky , pepperoni and maple breakfast sausages are hard to pass up . Pass it around the campfire and most will have seconds , till they learn what it is . Never had an issue . But if your uncertain shoot them with a camera . Hunt all year with that weapon

Jelvis
05-06-2014, 06:14 PM
Non resident hunters will prefer a black bear hunt over other hunts in BC at least they did a few years back
So what does that say about the black marauder who excites the minds and hearts of many would be hunters of wild black bears.
something about black bears that allure the explorer hunter's imagination Not one thing wrong with hunting bear
jp More Gun

clte
05-06-2014, 06:42 PM
There's a show called "Meat Eater" that is one of the reasons i'm getting into hunting. The first episode on Black Bears has me interested to try out... here's a clip of cooking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCJ-Ps8LAmo

Jelvis
05-06-2014, 07:26 PM
good little video clte, pretty good

scotty30-06
09-10-2015, 05:44 PM
Don't feed your dogs it.....thats taking potential meat from people that feed their kids with it.....go buy a bag of dog food if that's the case

Nstera
09-10-2015, 06:12 PM
It tastes great if you get the right bear! I got my first spring bear this year and it tastes amazing. Ground works great in tacos and pasta. Roasts are great in the slow cooker. Steaks in mushroom soup and white wine and/ or a brown sugar glaze is awesome! I may try for a fall bear to see what the difference are. My wife didn't think she would like it but she enjoys it along with our children.

Stainless
09-11-2015, 10:24 AM
I felt the same about being apprehensive about taking a bear this spring. I did it. Don't regret it. Don't mind the meat, great if you slow cook for 12 hours :) In the future though, I don't think I am going to pursue one every year. I am trying to be self sustainable for all protein in my diet for the next couple years. So if I run out of protein by spring or I am tired of fish I might look at a second bear. That's my look at it.

Rob Chipman
09-11-2015, 06:09 PM
Fried up the last pieces of bear ham for breakfast this spring and stuck the plate in front of my wife.

A few minutes later she said "I guess you better get another bear".

It's just that simple. Shoot, butcher, prepare, eat. Rinse and repeat.

MichelD
09-11-2015, 07:36 PM
It tastes great if you get the right bear! I got my first spring bear this year and it tastes amazing. Ground works great in tacos and pasta. Roasts are great in the slow cooker. Steaks in mushroom soup and white wine and/ or a brown sugar glaze is awesome! I may try for a fall bear to see what the difference are. My wife didn't think she would like it but she enjoys it along with our children.

Listen to this man. He's right. I've been doing this for a while. I shot my first bear when my wife was pregnant. Our daughter will be 39 in November.:roll:

Funny. I thought I was 38 last year.

butthead
11-07-2015, 05:38 PM
donate the bear to the fish and game club for there banquet dinner

Sofa King
11-07-2015, 05:53 PM
just because it's legal to kill something, doesn't mean you have to.
there are plenty of other things to hunt.
find what you enjoy and do it to it's max.

180grainer
11-07-2015, 05:58 PM
I like spring bear hunting but don't want the meat. I've eaten it on a couple occasions so no "but it's awesome" comments. What I've done in the past is approach a local Aboriginal band. There were elders that took the meat. What I have going on right now is a deal with the Salvation Army and a local butcher. I'd eat bear if I had too, but I don't have too, so I give it to people who do have too. Call your local food bank or Salvation Army. Hard part for me was finding a butcher that would take the meat.

180grainer
11-07-2015, 06:07 PM
just because it's legal to kill something, doesn't mean you have to.
there are plenty of other things to hunt.
find what you enjoy and do it to it's max.
People should be killing blacks. There's lots and they have a negative effect on calf and fawn populations.

11-07-2015, 06:19 PM
Snooze ya loose, your loss to for some great eats. The hams are TERRIFIC smoked ....... Almost like ham. The sausage we get done is incredible. For the BOYZ around the fire ........ The chops are yummy !

Your loss, don't hunt them

I personally will not hunt or shoot a fish bear. No thanks. Rather my bear taste and smell like a bear rather then rotten salmon .

GotaGun
11-07-2015, 07:24 PM
Trichinosis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx5ZKJ0Vozc

180grainer
11-07-2015, 08:49 PM
Trichinosis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx5ZKJ0Vozc

I'm not so worried about that cause if you cook it properly there shouldn't be a problem. I just don't like eating things that might have been chewing on a used tampon the day before I shot it.

Frango
11-07-2015, 09:12 PM
I don't bear hunt but there seems to be bear meat in the freezer from friends at one time or another. Someone mentioned wasting meat and someone else said there are always critters who clean up..I get a lot of salmon and most years we have Moose or Elk in the freezer.. My kids and my Grand kids get some but at some point my German Shepherd gets a treat..It is not wasted. I have heard of people throwing game in the garbage because the family does not like it. That is hard to accept but life is like that.. Some people did not grow up with wild game and it is almost impossible to convert people of this mind set to accept wild game. Feed your dog or your friends or your neighbors. Never let it stop you from hunting. It never goes to waste if don't let it.

Riverbc
11-07-2015, 09:31 PM
pepperoni, jalapeno/cheddar smokies, and garlic coils. Doesn't get any better.

ff89
11-07-2015, 09:35 PM
any tips for getting a good tasting bear this late in the season?

emerson
11-07-2015, 09:59 PM

Thanks!
Alexboy

I make jerky, sausage, ham.

emerson
11-07-2015, 10:00 PM
I'm not so worried about that cause if you cook it properly there shouldn't be a problem. I just don't like eating things that might have been chewing on a used tampon the day before I shot it.

Depends what surroundings you shoot it in.

Xenomorph
11-07-2015, 10:29 PM
Thank you very much for all your comments. Most of you say that bear meat is very good and I believe you. As a matter of fact, I did eat bear meat a long time ago. I remember it was good but fat. I may have made a mistake with my wife and daughter because, once, I killed a bear and I eviscerate him in front of my wife and my 7 years old daughter and I think they were traumatized by the view of the innards, blood etc. I will try again making it in sausage and not telling them at first :)!

It's all in the way you present it. Last bear I shot was pretty close to camp, so close that kids and buddy came in a hurry to check it out. I had my son bid good bye to the animal and thank him for the gift of meat and then proceeded to gut him. I promise he thoroughly enjoys his burgers. Oh yeah.

It's all in the presentation, the potential is there.

Also, keep in mind folks, out of 100 dead elk calves, 60 are killed by black bears. Enough said, I think. Sausage them!

any tips for getting a good tasting bear this late in the season?

Join me Tuesday, I'm going for one.

luger
11-08-2015, 04:49 AM
Go with a friend that will eat the meat. If done up by a good butcher they male excellent sausages and other cuts of meat, it shouldn't be to hard to find someone to hunt with that likes bear meat

Daka
11-08-2015, 08:04 AM
Everyone thought exactly the same until they did not try bear meat...delicious!
bear fat DO NOT THROW AWAY...make a cream of it and use it for your hands in winter. I work outside all winter and bear fat is no.1 thing under the gloves for hands. No Arthritis when bear fat present...

Ltbullken
11-09-2015, 10:18 AM
(1) Black bears hit moose calves hard. Fewer black bears = more moose calves = more moose.

(2) Cracked pepper bear salami and bear smokies are the best I've ever had and the family actually prefers the bear smokies over the elk smokies! Go figure. I have to admit, the bear smokie is better.

That said, I prefer a spring bear over a fall bear. Hide is in better shape too if you want to tan or want a rug - like I am with the brute below! Blackies eat nothing but grass and clover (and some skunk cabbage sprouts) for the first month or so when they come out of the den. Grass fed meat... what more can you say!

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j381/LtBullKen/BBear2_zpsvb4yipza.jpg (http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/LtBullKen/media/BBear2_zpsvb4yipza.jpg.html)

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j381/LtBullKen/BBear1_zpsknra8ygz.jpg (http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/LtBullKen/media/BBear1_zpsknra8ygz.jpg.html)

Barnes_270
11-18-2015, 12:29 PM
Hey guys, any recommendations for a butcher for doing up bear pepperoni / smokies in the Lower Mainland / Abbotsford area?

Big Hoss
11-18-2015, 12:30 PM
Try Sumas Meats. Sorry I don't have there number with me at work

Deer_Slayer
11-22-2015, 04:18 PM
Very easy decision. If you don't want to hunt bear then don't hunt bear. I don't hunt waterfowl, or bighorn sheep, or mountain goat blah blah. Hunting is about personal choices.

two-feet
11-22-2015, 06:55 PM
Already cant wait for spring bear hunt! Only 5 months to go

nelsonob1
11-22-2015, 10:23 PM
Don't hunt them then, but you are missing out on some great pep, sausage, hams, and burgers

Agreed. In my family (ages 47,39,13, 10 and 7) bear is something that has to be portioned out equally or it can get rough real quick.

sharp shooter
11-22-2015, 10:47 PM
Hey guys, any recommendations for a butcher for doing up bear pepperoni / smokies in the Lower Mainland / Abbotsford area?
Sumas meats does great bear pep and sausage