PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Gear on Vancouver Island

HuntingAndBoating
05-01-2014, 07:52 AM
Hey guys, I just moved out to Nanaimo and I'm looking for a new place to buy some equipment. I'm not looking specifically for a gun store, but if they carried guns as well all the better! Anyone who lives on the island know any good places? Thanks.

spongebob
05-01-2014, 08:09 AM
Try Wholesale Sports or Gone Fishin.

huntcoop
05-01-2014, 08:42 AM
Cabelas will be opening in the fall.

Peter Pepper
05-01-2014, 09:13 AM
what exactly do you need? Different stores are better for diff things.
I always go to gone fishing first (even though they are the biggest competitor for the boating store I work for!) They are helpful.
I have had mostly very bad experiences at the fire arm counter at Whole Sale Sports. The one exception seems to be the guy with the medium sized guy with the handle bar mustache. Great advise, takes time to help a newbee.
The big bald guy is a prick. Got to meet him the first and last time I shot trap at the fish and game club. Realised it's the same guy who wouldn't help me choose my first rifle. He's great at convincing young people to not join 'his' sport.
If you need packs, or tents the little dude with long hair is great.
The fishing counter guy is very nice.
Shop big box, or locally owned, either way, you can find whatever you need in town.

d6dan
05-01-2014, 10:43 AM
Granlund firearms in Campbell River. Lots of guns ammo and reloading goodies.

HuntingAndBoating
05-01-2014, 12:05 PM
Thanks guys. d6dan I'm actually looking for a place that sells equipment and stuff as well. Can't wait for Cabelas to open here, had no idea it was coming!

Currently I've only bought a winch since I've been on the island, but that was online at shop.westcoastwinch.com (http://shop.westcoastwinch.com) to help drag my kill through the bush and stuff. Looking for places to buy similar high end sort of products. Thanks again guys.

Steelwheels
05-01-2014, 12:25 PM
Cabelas will be opening in the fall.
Not before the Sportsmans Warehouse opens down on Granville St. in the entertainment district !

huntcoop
05-01-2014, 01:00 PM
Not before the Sportsmans Warehouse opens down on Granville St. in the entertainment district !

Huh???????

f350ps
05-01-2014, 01:20 PM
Hey Coop, I know that Cabelas is going in the old Can Tire building but do you know if they're enlarging it? That store is only 50,000 sq.ft, pretty small for a Cabelas! K

huntcoop
05-01-2014, 01:42 PM
That does seem small for Cabelas standards. I have recently driven by the front of the store and it doesn't appear larger but they may be expanding towards the back, I'm not sure. Next time I'm by I'll have a peek.

john.b
05-01-2014, 04:36 PM
Wait for Cabela's its only a few months away from being done. My company's working on it anf man is it going to be cool

john.b
05-01-2014, 04:37 PM
68,000 sq ft if my me more serves me corectly
That does seem small for Cabelas standards. I have recently driven by the front of the store and it doesn't appear larger but they may be expanding towards the back, I'm not sure. Next time I'm by I'll have a peek.

d6dan
05-01-2014, 04:53 PM
Wait for Cabela's its only a few months away from being done. My company's working on it anf man is it going to be cool

Oh Yeah!. Can hardly wait..:-D

Steelwheels
05-01-2014, 06:47 PM
Huh???????

I apologize .. I haven't kept up with the inner workings of Cabelas Expansion Plans..