PDA

View Full Version : Kuiu tent Mountain Star

Call of the Wild
04-30-2014, 03:31 PM
Kuiu's new tent mountain star is now out. From their promo video the tent appears to be solid and it's a very light tent. Is it just me but a two men tent for two guys on a backpack sheep hunt is too small?

I don't mind the extra one to two pounds for that little extra comfort. You know the element is challenging already and it's tight enough in a 3 men tent I don't consider a 2 men tent for two guys. I enjoy the extra space and especially when weather stuck in the tent.

I'd be ready to buy the Kuiu tent if they had a 3 men size tent. Am I alone in my thinking or some of you on 10+ days backpacking for sheep prefer 2 men size for two hunters?

Stone Sheep Steve
04-30-2014, 03:50 PM
My 2-man MoutainStar is pre-ordered. Haven't had issues with 2 guys in a 2-man before....but not all 2-man tents are created equally.
We'll be shaving 2 lbs off the old 2-man tent.

SSS

bighornbob
04-30-2014, 03:52 PM
I am with you. For solo hunts I take a two man tent and its perfect. Two guys and a two man tent is a real tight fit. Unless you want it like that:mrgreen:

BHB

TARCHER
04-30-2014, 03:54 PM
I wouldn't be in a hurry. You don't get something for nothing. Looks small to me too.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-30-2014, 05:00 PM
Use of a siltarp can make the tent seem a lot bigger.

BCrams
04-30-2014, 05:49 PM
My 2-man MoutainStar is pre-ordered. Haven't had issues with 2 guys in a 2-man before....but not all 2-man tents are created equally.
We'll be shaving 2 lbs off the old 2-man tent.

SSS

Hope it blows n rains so we can tell all the HBCers on here what a great tent it is :-D ..... if not ......there will be some attentive hunters inquiring!

Everett
04-30-2014, 05:56 PM
Neat looking tent but still almost 2lbs heavier than our Tipi so I think I will pass but looking forward to some field reports.

BCbuckhunter
04-30-2014, 06:47 PM
I have one on pre order as well. The MSR Hubba Hubba is 1 inch wider than the mountain star but had less room in the vestibules. A siltarp ii would make a great addition for an added porch on a tent. the mountain star 2p tent with a siltarp ii weighs in around 3 lbs 14ozs.

RiverOtter
05-01-2014, 09:15 AM
Hahahaha, watched the test video on the MS, where they set up the air boat with 65 mph winds, and blew at the tent from the pointy end.

I'm like F......Off, that's the strongest part of the tent....Then, almost as if they heard me, they moved the boat and blew 60 mph wind at it from the side...........:mrgreen:

It's definately no Hilleberg, but for the weight it looks like a pretty skookum mountain tent.

ThinAir
05-01-2014, 09:17 AM
Ya I'm waiting for a 3 man version as well. Looks really well made to me, just like that extra room.

RiverOtter
05-01-2014, 09:35 AM
Having spent a little time in a Nallo2 GT, I'd have a hard time going back to a regular 2 man tent. I pack a Sil-Tarp1 as well, but it's nice having a "1 and Done" system, especially if/when the wind/rain kicks up.

Still have to admit, I'm really looking forward to SSS and BCR's review(s) after the season......

Stone Sheep Steve
05-02-2014, 10:13 AM
Hopefully, we won't be spending much time in the new tent this year. Would be nice to tag out and go home early for a change:-D.

While we've had no complaints using BCR's old Mountain Harware 3 season, I needed a good 3 season down here as I only have a 4 season Eureka that tops the scales at 9 lbs. :shock:

SSS

Call of the Wild
05-04-2014, 04:14 PM
Thanks guys for sharing your thoughts. I’m sure others can relate but each of my summer sheep hunts so far I’ve been stuck in the tent about half the time. I have a saying if I’m not in my boots I’m in the tent so extra room is good luxury. When I compare other 2 person size tents Kuiu is right there for size. I’m curious if other sheep hunters prefer 3 person or 2 person tents on long backpack trips.

SSS & BCRams I look forward to your review

BCbillies
05-04-2014, 06:33 PM
I've had great weather on recent sheep hunts and still prefer the 3 man with a double vestibule. Some like myself have issues with tight spaces and the extra room comes in handy. This also allows the option for a 3rd guy which makes it tighter again but doable.

ThinAir
05-04-2014, 07:28 PM
I agree with bcbillies. For the little extra weight I like a 3 man. I've done a fair amount of mountain hunts with three guys and it works great. You can always make do with too much room, but too little sucks. I sold my 2 man a long time ago with no regrets.

300rum700
05-04-2014, 08:46 PM
We used a Nammatj 2 Gt last fall and it was great for 2 guys but it also has a huge vestibule to keep all your gear in keeping the inner tent clear of clutter. A regular 2 man dome tent gets pretty cramped with 2 guys in it.

albravo2
05-04-2014, 08:54 PM
my experience is that a 2 man is fine for sleeping with two guys but if you ever get stuck in the tent for any period of time it gets real small, real quick.

i like the look of it though, i would buy a 3 man in a heartbeat but might still buy this 2 man in the meantime.

Papa Sasquatch
05-04-2014, 09:35 PM
I like to have room for the occasional natural gas release without further discomfort. So You sleep in your own tent over there

Stone Sheep Steve
05-23-2014, 12:15 PM
My tent was delivered yesterday:).

Just a heads up that the duty is a lot higher than I imagined. Tax and duty on the 2 man tent and footprint(value of $500 US) was just under $180:eek:.
I ordered clothes from Kuiu a couple of weeks ago worth about the same value and tax and duty was ~$80-85. Was a bit of a shocker when Wifey called yesterday and told me what Canada Post wanted to collect.

On a more positive note, so far I'm pleased with the quality of their product and design......but time will be the real tester.

SSS

Bear Brawler
05-23-2014, 01:30 PM
I've ordered clothing twice from Kuiu and it just shows up, once I had to go into postal office to get parcel and last time the bag was put in my mail box. I have never had to pay duty for any of it. I hope I'm this lucky in the fall.

khoffnbud
05-23-2014, 03:11 PM
it seems to me it depends on who you get at the border to process it. me and a buddy on two occasions paid different taxes/duty for the same thing...

The Hermit
01-20-2015, 08:55 PM
Okay SSS whats the early impressions now that you have had and presumably used the Mountain Star... thinking hard about picking one up! I expect that I will be sleeping alone in it and still want the two man!!

swampthing
01-20-2015, 09:14 PM
I just got a $500 kuiu clothing order and I paid $180 duty on that as well. With the 15% exchange it was an additional 45% over the checkout amount.

srupp
01-20-2015, 10:27 PM
Hmmm SSS how does the quality compare to Moubtainhardware tents? I believe my mhw us 2 pounds rated as 2 person..or one oversized individual...I do like the layout of your new purchase but ouch the cross border and exchange..oh well it will be forgotten first wind rain storm..
Oh yes bring A 22 And lots of ammo for tent eating mountain rodents...sorry...
Cheers and exellent tent..
Steven

SR80
01-21-2015, 07:59 AM
Didnt they take all the mountain stars off their website due to them leaking?? Thats just what ive read around the old internet..

2x4x16
01-21-2015, 09:02 AM
Having spent a little time in a Nallo2 GT, I'd have a hard time going back to a regular 2 man tent. I pack a Sil-Tarp1 as well, but it's nice having a "1 and Done" system, especially if/when the wind/rain kicks up.

Still have to admit, I'm really looking forward to SSS and BCR's review(s) after the season......

Have the Nallo2GT as well and would be hard pressed to get to anything else now. The vestibule is huge easily storage gear for 2. Warm and dry, a double wall is really amazingly warm compared to what I've used in the past. Vent it properly and no condensation issues. They cost a pretty penny but well worth it in my option. Warm dry and dry gear is so worth it in the mountains

Stone Sheep Steve
01-21-2015, 10:28 AM
Okay SSS whats the early impressions now that you have had and presumably used the Mountain Star... thinking hard about picking one up! I expect that I will be sleeping alone in it and still want the two man!!

Hmmm SSS how does the quality compare to Moubtainhardware tents? I believe my mhw us 2 pounds rated as 2 person..or one oversized individual...I do like the layout of your new purchase but ouch the cross border and exchange..oh well it will be forgotten first wind rain storm..
Oh yes bring A 22 And lots of ammo for tent eating mountain rodents...sorry...
Cheers and exellent tent..
Steven

Well, the good news is that my tent wasn't one of the 1 in 3 that leaked:???:(apparently). It has spent a few days in the rain and has held up.
I looked at their website and they say that they are 'sold out'. Not sure if that is their PR department reducing damage or what?

Other than that, and assuming they have fixed the manufacturing problem, I liked the tent. It's not a 'big tent' by any means so if you are looking for something quite roomy it's probably not for you........but it certainly filled our needs.
It was the first double vestibule tent I have used and it was a welcome change. Was nice to both be able to get set up at the same time. Definitely not big enough to store a full pack though.

Tent is very 'taught' and when the rain hits the fly it sounds really high pitched. Sounds pretty cool actually.
The tent can be stored(if fly is dry) with the fly clips attached to the tent so it is very fast to set up. If the fly is wet you will want to detach it from the tent to store them separately. Clips are pretty small and are a bit finicky to open.

Tent packs down very small and I was able to fit the tent(without poles) into my side pocket in my barney WITH my spotting scope.

Haven't use the Nallo2GT as others have mentioned so I can't compare the two. Also not sure what the cost difference is of the two tents.

There was one nice cool touch to the tent but I don't have that picture handy here at work. Will post it up later.

SSS

BCrams
01-21-2015, 11:03 AM
There was one nice cool touch to the tent but I don't have that picture handy here at work. Will post it up later.
SSS

SSS summed it up pretty good regarding the tent so far! It certainly packs small there's no question on space / weight and ease of setting up. The double vest was nice as we could store our stuff on each side and get out of the tent to prep for hunt at the same time. I admit I wasn't a fan of the clips when we had to disconnect to avoid getting the inside of the tent wet from condensation and / or rain (normal) but two people could undo pretty quick and clip back on. Had to watch the vestibule zipper / flap if fly was wet as to not drip water through the mesh. Pretty minor. It certainly isn't luxurious as far as mtn tents go but definitely fits the bill for sheep hunting.

Not to slag the Mountain Hardware tent I have. That tent is still going strong and has been used many years. I certainly wouldn't mind trying out the Hilleberg tents either if they pack the same size / weight as the Mtn Hardware.

The best feature of the tent is the cool feature that glows when there are big rams nearby -- if it doesn't glow - you move on ........ like Frodo's sword sting when Orcs are near.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/BCrams/IMGP0304_zps93b5b19f.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BCrams/media/IMGP0304_zps93b5b19f.jpg.html)

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlJ9z3h7Bx2BE_bxELx3oLp2xh0_gjL oHEDxGSwbh4JmnQFWagyw

Stone Sheep Steve
01-21-2015, 01:04 PM
That's right...when it glows at night, open the doors slowly in the morning and carefully look around:shock:.

SSS