PDA

View Full Version : Is hunting declining throughout North America?

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-23-2007, 07:59 PM
I am not really person who pays alot of attention to statistics but I know in the last 10 years or more hunting has been on a decline in British Columbia,I was wondering what the trends in other parts of Canada and the US are and where the greatest poulations of hunters are.I know the states with large populations of people obviously have alot of hunters ,but it would be nice to know what percent hunt compared to the total population.And what do you think would be some ways to promote hunting in B.C and recruit new hunters to the sport?

CanAm500
02-23-2007, 08:02 PM
I am not really person who pays alot of attention to statistics but I know in the last 10 years or more hunting has been on a decline in British Columbia,I was wondering what the trends in other parts of Canada and the US are and where the greatest poulations of hunters are.I know the states with large populations of people obviously have alot of hunters ,but it would be nice to know what percent hunt compared to the total population.And what do you think would be some ways to promote hunting in B.C and recruit new hunters to the sport?

I think more presentations and represent from orginizations like BCWF is what we need. If we can get out there and encourgage people to try hunting, or even the meat for that mater then maybe we could get more people interested. Ive been hunting for two years and I have already taken 2 people out that are going to be getting their CORE trainning pretty quick. Also our sport depends on us, the ones who already hunt. We should (not saying any of us dont) be taking people who are interested in hunting out for a hunt.
Also I think with the current firearms laws people have been discouraged. Also access issues, if people cant exersice the right to hunt and/or fish because of a gate then I think they will hang up their hunting gear. You cant really go hunting if your not in the "bush".

My 2 cents.

johnes50
02-23-2007, 08:39 PM
I think a lot of the older guys have quit hunting. The ones that were raised in a different time when everybody hunted. So there's probably less old time hunters and WWII vets hunting now just because of their age.

In Canada a lot of hunters just packed it in when all the firearms rules came into effect. Couldn't take the BS. Plus the right to hunt in Canada seems to be a target for whatever yuppie politician that wants to make points with the people in Toronto. It takes determination to be a hunter nowadays and some casual hunters probably said it's just to much trouble.

But I think hunting will pick up again when us diehard hunters kids grow up and start getting invloved in hunting. My son just got his core and told his friends how much he likes hunting and a couple of them want to take the core course.

But in the States I don't think hunting took as much of a hit as in Canada, because they haven't changed their laws like we did because of the Second amendment("The right to bear arms"). Just the old timers packing it in.

That's my 2 cents worth. John

tangozulu
02-23-2007, 09:01 PM
I hear that the number of hunters is suppose to be declining but wonder why the Americans seem to have tighter and tighter tag access, more restrictive time frames and weapon choices. We rifle hunt with over the counter tags for months on end, The yanks need to draw tags for about everything, then need to use a bow or blackpowder rifle. Why so if there are fewer hunter today?

sawmill
02-24-2007, 08:23 AM
Sure as hell ain`t declining here,I wish it would!

Bigbuckadams
02-24-2007, 08:33 AM
I think one of the main points has been hit on the head. With changes to the firearms laws, a few people I grew up with, as well as their parents , have just said too much "Red Tape" ( politcally correct for BS ). The "anti's" have played a part in discouragement as well, I had a few words with one of my kids' teachers a couple years ago for stating in class that hunting is bad. Instead of seeing negative stories on the news all the time in regards to hunting, I would like to see some positive ones, like meat donation programs, kids learning to understand & respect both firearms & the outdoors, etc.. The one I saw the other day on CHBC really upset me. A lady more or less crying because she saw deer in fear of their lives after being shot at in an orchard. The orchardist had a permit to cull problematic deer, so it was perfectly legal. Now, this is not to say she didn't have a right to be upset, but why are these stories on the news? Just more ammo for the anti's. Next time I see a dead deer on the side of the road, maybe I'll phone CHBC & say how upset it makes me when people kill animals with their vehicles. It used to be common to see animals proudly displayed, strapped to hoods of vehicles for all to see & get a honk or a thumbs up. Now, one must make sure every inch is covered up as to not offend anyone. I say da heck with that, this year, strap 'em all up proudly for all to see :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

sealevel
02-24-2007, 08:39 AM
with the amount of people taking the core couse i think it will pick up.

Gun Dog
02-24-2007, 02:23 PM
I think you're all reading too much into the guns laws. In the last 50 years there's been a big shift from rural to urban -- the number of people living in small towns has gone down and the number living in cities has gone way up. In Vancouver you can't grab your gun and go for a morning hunt before work. Going hunting is an expedition because everything is far away and after a while it's just not worth the hassle. Maybe it'll change now that some BC towns are growing again.

TPK
02-24-2007, 06:11 PM
It would be nice to see the C.O.R.E. course as an option in the school curriculum. I think a lot of kids would take it if it was available. Being an "option", it shouldn't get people with opposing views all bent as their kid doesn't have to sign up for it.

GoatGuy
02-26-2007, 12:34 AM
Yes, through most of North America and all across the world really. Some places/countries/states/provinces have managed to buck the trend.

Here's a place to do a bit of reading. All US based but shows a bit.

http://www.responsivemanagement.com/

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-26-2007, 09:35 AM
GoatGuy, Thank you very much for the link,It was a very intresting and informative article on hunting.I was happy to hear that 70% percent of the American population approved of hunting.:|