PDA

View Full Version : Sitka Deer hunting

Roughneck Country
04-29-2014, 01:24 PM
Hi all, I am a non resident and want to try my hand at hunting a Sitka Blacktail on either Vancouver Island or the Queen Charlotts. Was hoping someone could recomend an outfitter that targets them preferably on the QCI's so I can try and get a day or 2 of fishing in at the same time. Not looking for a world record just for a good time. Would concider doing a hunter host deal but don't know any hunters out that way.

quadrakid
04-29-2014, 06:44 PM
I can,t help you with an outfitter. The deer on Vancouver island are Columbian Blacktails. I,m not sure if QCI deer are Sitkas or Columbian.Good luck on your quest for a coast deer.

Ambush
04-29-2014, 08:10 PM
QCI deer are Sitka's. There is a push by the GOABC to reclassify the Island deer as Sitka's to but for now they are Columbia's. There is good scientific evidence for the reclassification, but may take a while if ever.
Where do you life?

Roughneck Country
04-30-2014, 12:32 PM
I can,t help you with an outfitter. The deer on Vancouver island are Columbian Blacktails. I,m not sure if QCI deer are Sitkas or Columbian.Good luck on your quest for a coast deer.
Im from Alberta. Want to have a shot at the Sitka in particular and would rather keep my money in Canada vs going to Alaska. Like I mentioned the QCI are my preference especially if a guy can g fishing a day or two after the hunt.

David Heitsman
05-01-2014, 10:45 AM
No outfitters in QCI now that I know of. I don't think Prophet Muskwa is on QCI any more. My 3 friends and I just booked Coastal Alaska Adventures for Sitka in 2015 and we will be fishing there as well. He had a 2014 spot when I visitied with them at SCI. Some of the same 3 and I spent a week in QCI 3 years ago and saw one buck, (in the ferry landing) and met enough verbal anti-hunters that we don't feel compelled to return. It's a beautiful place though.