PDA

View Full Version : Fanny Packs - whats the best for dayhunting?

Ruger.270
04-29-2014, 08:46 AM
Thinking of getting a quality fanny pack for day hunts here on the island next year - don't like wearing a big backpack in the bush due to the noise factor.

After some research I've found both the badlands monster and the tensing 1250 to look pretty good - does anyone have any experience with either of these models and can offer any feedback?

Specifically I'm interested in noise, comfort with a bunch of gear in them while hiking, and how they hold up in the rain.

Also did you find the shoulder straps on these interfered with carrying your rifle? (I know the tensing 1250 has a "gun boot" but it looks pretty flimsy to me)

thx

swampthing
04-29-2014, 11:17 AM
I have the badlands monster and 100% endorse it. For my hunting needs I need a bigger pack most of the time. But, when I do get to use my fanny pack the badlands is awesome. Well built and waterproof. I do treat it with a waterproofing spray. The straps underneath are great for strapping you coat to when it warms up. The rest of the pack is about as big as a fanny pack can be. I have added extra pouches to the shoulder straps and to the waist belt.

Good2bCanadian
04-29-2014, 11:55 AM
X2^^^^^^^^^

It can carry quite a bit of gear.

WestCoastHunter
04-29-2014, 03:51 PM
I have the tensing 1250. I find it to be VERY comfortable. Holds surprisingly a lot, and is quiet. I have not used the gun boot yet, just throw the gun over my shoulder and it seems to work. With the use of ropes, my dad and I managed to haul out a 4x3 after it was dressed and cut in half, half each, on the pack. Obviously it isnt meant for that but it helped as a platform and held up! I would recommend it for sure.

Ruger.270
04-29-2014, 04:02 PM
thanx for the info so far guys -

@ westcoasthunter - any word on how waterproof the 1250 is? also how does the fabric work when sneaking thru the timber - is it loud when branches rub on it? thinking of using it in the thick jungle on Vancouver island.

@swampthing and good2bcanadian - I've heard some people complaining about the zippers breaking on the badlands monster - any experience with that? also how are the shoulder straps for comfort when you've got a heavier load it in (they didn't look as padded as the tenzing)
)?

buckguy
04-29-2014, 04:11 PM
I have the badlands monster. I find it holds fair amount of gear, and shoulder straps are more comfy than they look. I had my main zipper tab break, but just use a zap strap as a handle. Decent piece of gear IMHO and would recommend it.

270ruger
04-29-2014, 05:10 PM
Look into the tenzig1140 great little pack,holds everything for a day hunt only one shoulder strap so it doesn't interfere with shooting.

Iltasyuko
04-29-2014, 08:58 PM
Badlands Monster - have had it 9 yrs and never had anything break on it.

Grumpa Joe
04-29-2014, 09:03 PM
I have the 1250 and so far find it to be a great pack. A great deal of flexibility with lots of pockets, good material, lots of padding, comfortable waist-belt and shoulder straps that adjust to the wearer, compression straps, water bladder compartment and so far no zipper issues. The material is a soft brushed fabric that is silent when walking as long as your straps are adjusted properly. As far as brushing against trees and such I don't know if there is anything that makes no sound and the tree or bush will make noise anyway. I've had it out in wet conditions and it worked quite well. You could spray waterproof it as well but that won't address the zippers which were the areas that I had a little seepage. I have used the gun boot both for a rifle and for my bow. Works seemingly well enough with the Velcro retaining straps. Not as protective or quick to draw as the gun scabbard on my J34 but it's a day pack. All in all a great pack to grab and go.

swampthing
04-30-2014, 07:31 PM
My monster pack has been bulletproof. It is comfortable with as much crap as I could stuff in/strap to it. It is quiet as well. Sounds like the tenzig is a good unit too.

Chopper
05-01-2014, 01:11 AM
I used to pack fanny packs ... Until I actually started full day hikes. I pack for two days of food and some extra clothes on s day hike now. Plus I hike far enough back that there is no way a buck will come out in one piece.

Conclusion

Stone Glacier Solo for day hikes

Ruger.270
05-01-2014, 09:32 AM
Don't you find it too loud carrying a full pack here chopper? That's always been my big hang-up. I'd rather eat less/take less spare clothes and still be relatively quiet. Luckily I usually hunt in a pair (spread out) so getting a deer, even out of some brutal spots, has been doable in 1 piece.

thanx to everyone else on the fanny advice - looks like both are good units - I'm going to just try both on at the store and see which fits better I think. Maybe slight lean towards the tenzing as its a bit bigger.

msharkey
05-01-2014, 08:51 PM
I'm really getting to like my Kifaru TailgunnerII; its a bit tactical looking but its more than enough for a day hike. Another plus is that I can easily mount my Gunbearer on it.

WestCoastHunter
05-01-2014, 09:45 PM
Ruger.270, I am Legend pretty much covered your question. The fabric is soft for the most part resulting in it being a quiet pack if adjusted right etc. As far as rain/wetness goes, I can't comment to much on that as I haven't really had it in that kind of weather. Sitting in snow though it seems to keep the contents dry.

Treed
05-01-2014, 09:47 PM
I solo hunt. Not far out but a 5-10 k hike. I hate carrying a pack too but hate dragging deer even more. Do you do a couple of trips back to get the animal or pull it out?

swampthing
05-02-2014, 06:04 PM
I checked out that tenzig pack at the gun shop today. Its a hog! It didnt look as tough as my badlands but capacity wise it sure has it beat. If I didnt have my badlands I would buy one.

NorthIslander
05-02-2014, 06:46 PM
I bought that same Tenzig pack last year, one of the zippers broke on it, I emailed them and told them the problem, they had no problem in sending me a new pack.

lorneparker1
05-02-2014, 07:01 PM
Fanny packs are gay