PDA

View Full Version : Kelowna 3d. Guys removed last 3 targets before I got to them.

Junorr500
04-29-2014, 07:50 AM
So went to my first 3d shoot on last Sunday. Circumstances dictated that We couldn't start the round till just after 1 in the afternoon. Was in a group of 4 plus a kid. We moved along at a decent clip knowing we started a bit late, even letting a couple fast moving pairs skip ahead of us.

Noticed the organizers removing targets behind us when we got to target 21 down by the pistol ranges. They told us not to rush that they would wait. Climbed up the hill to the last three targets to find that they had been removed by someone else, with out them even checking to see if there was anyone else that had to shoot. Think the group of three ahead of us didn't get to shoot them either. Was not impressed at the lack of courtesy by the guys that decided to start removing targets just because it was "3:45 and they were done."

Counted tens for the last three and ended up with 200 even on the 25 targets. Still would have like to have a proper score for the round though.

buddyrip
04-29-2014, 08:23 AM
There could and should be a time limit as to when you start your round. The people that volunteer to set up and take down a course have a lot of work to do long after you have gone home. Sometimes there is a spot shoot after the last round or some other reason to wait for the straglers, but there is a limit. Volunteer for one of these and you will apreciate what goes on behind the scene.maybe you wouldn't be late next time or only expect to shoot half a round out of respect.Have fun and keep on going. With out the volunteers or the shooters these wouldn't happen.

Junorr500
04-29-2014, 08:49 AM
There could and should be a time limit as to when you start your round. The people that volunteer to set up and take down a course have a lot of work to do long after you have gone home. Sometimes there is a spot shoot after the last round or some other reason to wait for the straglers, but there is a limit. Volunteer for one of these and you will apreciate what goes on behind the scene.maybe you wouldn't be late next time or only expect to shoot half a round out of respect.Have fun and keep on going. With out the volunteers or the shooters these wouldn't happen.

We were not prevented from paying full pop and starting or round at the time we did. Neither were we made aware of any time limit. At least 4 groups started after us of which 2 we let through. I fully appreciate the amount of work. Don't appreciate no effort in checks that groups that had started the round had not completed.

Shooter
04-29-2014, 08:53 AM
Ususally what happens at the shoots that I have been to is on the last round they ask everybody to take the last targets that they shoot at down and bring it as close to a road as they can. This isn't usually a problem as long as everybody is on the same pace. If you let the group behind you pass through then they will be on their last target before you get a chance to shoot it.

hunter fisher
04-29-2014, 08:59 AM

if he was charged full price, and the organizers told him to take his time, theres no way the targets should have been taken down early. just because your volunteering and not getting paid, doesnt mean you can cut corners and ruin someones shoot

Junorr500
04-29-2014, 02:40 PM
Ususally what happens at the shoots that I have been to is on the last round they ask everybody to take the last targets that they shoot at down and bring it as close to a road as they can. This isn't usually a problem as long as everybody is on the same pace. If you let the group behind you pass through then they will be on their last target before you get a chance to shoot it.
That's a good way to do it. If your the last person and you pass you just need to let the group you pass know that they are now last and to bring the targets down.

aggiehunter
04-29-2014, 02:44 PM
..sounds like somebody needs to organize and run a 3D shoot....

aggiehunter
04-29-2014, 02:49 PM
PS to that..I meant the poster..not the bow club.

buddyrip
04-29-2014, 06:53 PM
Good communication is always the key to success. Letting the shooters know any expectations when they sign in and pay would be the right thing to do. I think a deadline for beginning the second round is a good idea. We have traveled 2.5 hrs to go to a shoot and had to wait a long time for the last group to come in so we could start the spot shoot. Many had left already because they also had to travel. So it is also up to the organizers to let people know.

jessbennett
04-29-2014, 10:17 PM
most sundays are a shotgun start (on a two day shoot anyways). an average 20 target course can take anywhere from 2.5 hrs(if your really quick) to sometimes 4 or 5 hrs. the amount of work that goes into these shoots is imense and all volunteer. some people travel upwards of 8 hrs to go to these shoots and have to travel to get home afterwards. what about the volunteers who bust their ass all weekend long putting on the shoot who have hours of work afterwards? im pretty sure they would like to get home at a half decent hour to get some grub and a rest before work on a monday? in all honesty, you cant expect volunteers to sit around ALL day and wait for someone. that being said,

but yes clear rules and expectations should have been put out regarding this.there was nothing posted as to what time score cards had to be in by? and a group who tears down the back half of a course without first making sure no one is left on it is asking for trouble. nothing like someone walking up to a target from the wrong direction when your at full draw....

jessbennett
04-29-2014, 10:23 PM
usually on a 2 dayer, a shotgun start is around 8 a.m. different groups are flagged at different targets, with the general idea that people will mostly be dome shooting around the same time. been to a few shoots where spots were on a saturday only. was kinda nice for sure.

Good communication is always the key to success. Letting the shooters know any expectations when they sign in and pay would be the right thing to do. I think a deadline for beginning the second round is a good idea. We have traveled 2.5 hrs to go to a shoot and had to wait a long time for the last group to come in so we could start the spot shoot. Many had left already because they also had to travel. So it is also up to the organizers to let people know.

BiG Boar
04-29-2014, 11:00 PM
I have a tiny violin and it's strings are broken and it's really whining.

Walksalot
04-30-2014, 06:20 AM
Cut the guys some slack. There is a lot of work which goes into putting on a shoot and at the end of it people are tired. Sometimes there is miscommunication and stuff like this happens. If this is the worst thing that happens to you in life you got off pretty easy.

jessbennett
04-30-2014, 04:45 PM
this^^^^^

i dont think some people realize how much work these shoots really are. in all honesty, on a big two day shoot, i think that if people are going to shoot 1 day only, it should only be allowed on a Saturday. Just a thought tho really.

StoneChaser
04-30-2014, 05:51 PM
So went to my first 3d shoot on last Sunday. Circumstances dictated that We couldn't start the round till just after 1 in the afternoon. Was in a group of 4 plus a kid. We moved along at a decent clip knowing we started a bit late, even letting a couple fast moving pairs skip ahead of us.

Noticed the organizers removing targets behind us when we got to target 21 down by the pistol ranges. They told us not to rush that they would wait. Climbed up the hill to the last three targets to find that they had been removed by someone else, with out them even checking to see if there was anyone else that had to shoot. Think the group of three ahead of us didn't get to shoot them either. Was not impressed at the lack of courtesy by the guys that decided to start removing targets just because it was "3:45 and they were done."

Counted tens for the last three and ended up with 200 even on the 25 targets. Still would have like to have a proper score for the round though.

I'm sure it was simply a miscommunication between a few club members. As others have said, these shoots are run by volunteers (typically VERY FEW) that have spent all week during the evenings burning their own fuel setting up. After the last arrow is pulled and everyone's headed home, these folks are still out for hours (still on their own time) pulling, packing and storing targets. I'm sure they'd welcome another lending set of hands....I know we always do.

E.V.B.H.
04-30-2014, 07:10 PM
If your starting after one on Sunday at any shoot you run the risk of this happening, it's pretty normal. 3:45 is quite late to start taking targets down, sounds to me like they waited as long as they could and still have time to put everything away. As stated volunteer for one someday and your opinion will change.

BC Shooter
05-01-2014, 12:49 PM
I agree with the comments regarding the work and effort of putting a shoot on. The guys that organize, devote their time and efforts at every club that do the work deserve Kudos as there would not be any 3D shoots with out them.