PDA

View Full Version : Spring Grizz Hunting

GoatGuy
02-23-2007, 05:44 PM
Thought I'd put this up for everyone who was drawn.

If you haven't hunted your area or would like any info on grizz hunting post up.

There are plenty of folks on this board who hunt all over the province that should be able to point you in the right direction through PMs.

Good luck this spring.

Gateholio
02-23-2007, 05:46 PM
Maybe I will sticky it?

youngfellla
02-23-2007, 07:30 PM
I ended up getting a subsititute hunt in 6-20 Zone C. Bordered by the Chukachida Lake/River and near the headwaters of the Stikine. I imagine it'll be a fly in hunt in June if I am able to go, no other access in there that I know of.8-)

Stone Sheep Steve
02-23-2007, 07:48 PM
I ended up getting a subsititute hunt in 6-20 Zone C. Bordered by the Chukachida Lake/River and near the headwaters of the Stikine. I imagine it'll be a fly in hunt in June if I am able to go, no other access in there that I know of.8-)
I've got a friend that guided up the Chuckachida but I think it was just for the fall season. I check just to be sure.

SSS

mainland hunter
02-23-2007, 11:39 PM
so anyone got any info for grizz in 4-19?

Mr. Dean
02-24-2007, 12:41 AM
so anyone got any info for grizz in 4-19?

You a Winner?

mainland hunter
02-24-2007, 09:29 AM
...yup....

Mr. Dean
02-24-2007, 10:34 AM
...yup....

Well goody for you!
Can't contribute any info to help you out (sorry). Just happy for ya.

Congrats.

SHAKER
02-24-2007, 11:10 AM
4-19 I got that draw a few years ago, lots of black bears and some good look'n griz country. We seen 2 in the 5 days we hunted their. Their is 2 valleys to access north of Riondell. Bernard creek if the first one, but you have to cross a fairly quick moving creek, apperantly their is some great snow shoots but about 4 or 5 k's past the creek is where they start. We hunted Powder creek, Steep canyon for quite a ways then gets back into some great look'n bear country. unfortunatly the good area is fairly small. But we did see Grizz in there. Great campsite at the bottom of Bernard creek right on the lake (Bring you fish'n rod) that's all I know about that area. Oh yeah, LOTS of blackies.

elkster
02-24-2007, 07:39 PM

There are guys that run jet boats up the chukachida river, but I don't know about in June.

Elk-Aholic
02-25-2007, 08:32 PM
If I ever get drawn I would love to get some insight from all of you

GoatGuy
02-26-2007, 01:16 AM
If I ever get drawn I would love to get some insight from all of you

If you do you'll have lots of help. I'm sure between you, Gutshot and Scheffler one is getting a tag.

150fighter
02-26-2007, 05:12 PM
Anybody have any info on 4-25, up the palliser? My dad got one!

mark
02-26-2007, 09:01 PM
i got 6-19 a, any advise???

358mag
02-26-2007, 09:05 PM
buddie got draw in 4-38 any advice -info ???? thanks

WoodOx
02-26-2007, 09:11 PM
Aye 6-19A here too.

Weve got 2/10 tags tied up for that area. Not too bad!

boxhitch
02-26-2007, 10:14 PM
i got 6-19 a, any advise???
Way to go Mark ! I know someone in Smithers that has boated the Sticki and the Chucki, lots. He has taken some good bears there.

srupp
02-26-2007, 10:38 PM
We got Coastal 5:08...hunted there many times always seem to pull a good bear out of there..we have 2 tags both my partner and I got one each....should be a "BLAST" or 2.....

We will boat in and then set the crab pots and do some Hali fishing....

Hey someones gotta do it....looks like some awesome springtime adventures form those on this site..GOOD LUCK TO ALL....

steven

kootenayelkslayer
02-26-2007, 11:59 PM
Anyone draw a tag in 4-18, 4-27, or 4-28???

mark
02-27-2007, 08:05 AM
Way to go Mark ! I know someone in Smithers that has boated the Sticki and the Chucki, lots. He has taken some good bears there.

Hey box, are they jetboatable rivers?????? Are they rock gardens, or big slow rivers??

JohnS
02-27-2007, 09:16 AM
Anyone draw a tag in 4-18, 4-27, or 4-28???

Yupp8-) my wife got a tag for 4-18 i'm the camera Guy this year.....:) Looks like alot of range time coming ...wooohoo!:lol:

kootenayelkslayer
02-27-2007, 01:26 PM
Yupp8-) my wife got a tag for 4-18 i'm the camera Guy this year.....:) Looks like alot of range time coming ...wooohoo!:lol:

Where were you thinking of looking for your grizz? (Don't worry, I don't have a tag, I'm not trying to poach any of your spots:wink: ) Have you ever hunted up Woodbury Creek? I know there is a few kicking around up there.

Pioneerman
02-27-2007, 09:40 PM
I see this seems to be a bit of a double post subject, so I will add my post from the other one here too.

I got my confirmation on my spring draw, its for the new opening in area 7:23 south of the Mackenzie turn off, north of Prince George 13 draws 1.2:1 odds. either there is no bears there and they are safe giving them away, or there is too many and it is possible to see them. I know the bears are smaller inland, but it's still going to be a treat if I can get one. I am not one who wants to shoot an animal for just a trophy though. I have eaten many black bears and like it very much. Any of you ever eaten Grizzly ? I don't see why it wouldn't be similar to black, any input would be nice.

Mike

model88
02-27-2007, 09:52 PM
Anybody have any info on 4-25, up the palliser? My dad got one!

That is an excellent are for Grizz. Cochran creek is a good place too start, you can either go all the way too the top on the road or a few K's up there is a road too the right that leads to some awesome bear country.

Further up the Palliser from Cochran creek, I forget the name of it, but its before the Palliser river, there is a road, I thinks its called the G road. The Albert river is also a good spot, its a road closure, but lots of bears.

lip_ripper00
02-27-2007, 10:48 PM
I see this seems to be a bit of a double post subject, so I will add my post from the other one here too.

I got my confirmation on my spring draw, its for the new opening in area 7:23 south of the Mackenzie turn off, north of Prince George 13 draws 1.2:1 odds. either there is no bears there and they are safe giving them away, or there is too many and it is possible to see them. I know the bears are smaller inland, but it's still going to be a treat if I can get one. I am not one who wants to shoot an animal for just a trophy though. I have eaten many black bears and like it very much. Any of you ever eaten Grizzly ? I don't see why it wouldn't be similar to black, any input would be nice.

Mike

new opening in 7-23? where is your draw 7-23 A,B,C,D.? I'm not going to say their is a LOT of gbears up their,(because I did'nt fill mytag last year):oops: but if you do a google search on "Parsnip river grizz assesment" some good info there. Update your personal profile, let us know what part of the province you are from, I know 7-23 fairly well and any info I will share. good luck

Pioneerman
02-27-2007, 11:21 PM
new opening in 7-23? where is your draw 7-23 A,B,C,D.? I'm not going to say their is a LOT of gbears up their,(because I did'nt fill mytag last year):oops: but if you do a google search on "Parsnip river grizz assesment" some good info there. Update your personal profile, let us know what part of the province you are from, I know 7-23 fairly well and any info I will share. good luck

I am from Nanaimo, I did some updates, thanks for reminding me. The draw is 7 23 A, I will check out the google suggestion, thanks...Mike

lip_ripper00
02-27-2007, 11:42 PM
I am from Nanaimo, I did some updates, thanks for reminding me. The draw is 7 23 A, I will check out the google suggestion, thanks...Mike

have you been in to this area in the last 18 months? got some news and it's not good :-( . BUT do able

heybert
02-28-2007, 12:54 AM
Anyone have any info on 4-35? Bro' got one and I'm the cameraman!!!

Elk-Aholic
02-28-2007, 11:30 PM
If you do you'll have lots of help. I'm sure between you, Gutshot and Scheffler one is getting a tag.

Hell froze over, I actually got drawn....I'm going drinking

GoatGuy
03-01-2007, 03:56 AM
Anyone have any info on 4-35? Bro' got one and I'm the cameraman!!!

PM sent

olek_Z_bc
03-02-2007, 01:42 PM
Well I got my first lucky draw after applying for 8 or is 9 years, lol...

Region 6-10 (closest cities are Terrace & Kitimat)

Posted a few questions on CGN, hoping to get some more info on here (thanks to Gatehouse for pointing me to this thread btw :))

Anyhow, anyone on here live there? hunt there? hunted there?

Any chance of actually seeing/harvesting a nice grizz without the use of a boat (since i do not have one).

Also as it stands I will be going up by myself so if anyone on here has a draw for 6-10, maybe we can join forces?

Well let me know, thanks in advance.

Alex

todbartell
03-02-2007, 09:48 PM
7-23 Zone D for me :)

JohnS
03-02-2007, 09:56 PM

Congrats!! Good Luck8-)

youngfellla
03-02-2007, 10:11 PM

Better purchase a new powerful gun that shoots huge bullets 8-)

Will
03-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Better purchase a new powerful gun that shoots huge bullets 8-)
I sure hope he doesn't get Eaten and have his '06 used for a toothpick....I'll miss Him :?

Best of Luck to ALL the LEH Grizz Draw winners !
U *******os ! :mad:

:lol:

SHAKER
03-06-2007, 11:14 AM
Anyone done any Grizz'n in 7-48????

olek_Z_bc
03-06-2007, 04:52 PM
So nobody knows anything about region 6-10?

Wierd. Oh well.

Elkhound
03-06-2007, 05:10 PM

Wierd. Oh well.

Sorry Olek. never hunted there

brno375
03-07-2007, 01:32 AM

Wierd. Oh well.

I've never hunted there but looking at a map, you will have to cross water at some point. Is there a barge that can take you across to the road system in your MU? Most of your valleys run north/south. Try to find ones that run east/west and glass the south facing slopes. Timing depends on how long the snow lasts this spring, and I would look at going the second and third week in May. Bring your rain gear.

Best of luck.

derek p
03-07-2007, 08:10 AM
"olek_Z_bcSo nobody knows anything about region 6-10?"

lots of good areas in 6-10, when I get home from work I will put together a little care package for you. Growing up this is where I did most of my hunting.:lol:

olek_Z_bc
03-07-2007, 12:11 PM
"olek_Z_bcSo nobody knows anything about region 6-10?"

lots of good areas in 6-10, when I get home from work I will put together a little care package for you. Growing up this is where I did most of my hunting.:lol:

Thanks Derek. :) & Brno

Well as it stands i don't think i can get a boat by the time of the hunt but we'll see.

In any case the are looks nice and if I can grab my fishing rod while i'm up there that could be an added bonus

derek p
03-07-2007, 01:20 PM
Just to keep you interested, there is a road that will take you into the heart of 6-10, a boat would be nice, but it is not necessary.

Definetly take your fishing rod, as the early run of springs will be in, and there is an outside chance for steelies. Remember you will be on or crossing some of the best fishing water in B.C.

On a side note you will need a good 4 x 4, and a quad would be a definite asset.

Lots of 6-7' blackies on that area as well.

I will give you more info later.:lol:

olek_Z_bc
03-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Cool, thanks man. By good 4x4 do you mean, one in good shape or something with 40" tires on it, lol....

derek p
03-07-2007, 07:41 PM
Once you have finally arrived in Terrace, you will want to stop at Hanky Panky's the local bar. You will definetly find a grizz or three in there.:)

You want to take the old one lane bridge out of town and turn onto queensway drive, follow this along the river til you see the signs for the speedway track(turn right at the top of the hill) You will be heading to what is called Old Remo. Follow this for 5-8 kms and when the road forks take the left, to what is known as white bottom. Once you cross the lakelse wood bridge you will still be in 6-9. (look for the yellow sign on your left, just past all the fisherman on the bridge. Early springs always draws a crowd.

You will need a 4x4 as this road eventually will be very rough and narrow, once you pass dasque creek you will now be in unit 6-10, get ready!!

Some time the creek bridge is gone, although you can sometime go around and thru the wash out, I'll make a call for you before you go, just remind me.

The road at one time actually went all the way to the gitnadoix river, look for moose in the fall if your in the area.:lol: Also great for steelies in the spring although you might be a bit late.

This year the snow pack in the Skeena Watershed is huge, will be interesting to watch the weather and plan accordingly. Whether it will be an early or late flood.

Most map books don't show this road, but it does exist.

You will be hunting mostly north facing valleys and creeks, but don't worry there are still lots of bears.

I will put a picture of the gitnadiox into my gallery.

If you do manage to get hold of a boat, then all the islands will be open to you from the fishing lodge west almost all the way to Rupert.

Best of luck and I'll make a call or two for you.

Cheers

Derek

MtnBoy
03-07-2007, 07:56 PM
I drew 6-14A. I hope to get up there May 1st as the lower areas around the Nass should be greening up nicely. I am a bit concerned about the snow this year as I was there in Jan and had unbelievable amounts of snow dump on me. Has anyone had this draw? I'm not sure if I should go early and hunt the green areas down low, or wait and hunt a bit later when the avalanche chutes green up???

WoodOx
03-07-2007, 07:59 PM
Youngfella has offered me a ton of information, but I thought I would throw out another request for information regarding 6-19A (South West of Dease Lake)

Myself and Mark have drawn tags in this area, and are looking to head up there in May. Thanks in advance - can PM me if youd like!

derek p
03-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Mnt Boy

As previously stated this is my old backyard, I will also extend the offer of phoning home and reporting the flood and snow conditions for you, this is actually a better area the 6-09, I don't have the LEH regs but hopefully this will encompass the Ishkenich (sp) and kesidin drainages.

great country, just don't shoot a dink blackie in the lava beds:lol:
all the tourists feed them in the spring and summer, and I have actually stopped for one bear and had him nose the window of the truck, cool but freaky.

Let me phone some buddies and I'll work on an area for you, once I find the regs for LEH and look at the map.

Cheers

Derek

derek p
03-07-2007, 08:06 PM
Aguacher

If I remember correctly this is the same MU that Slyfox was drawn for last year. Another great area, if no-one minds I will respond in PM as I still want to hunt there in the future:lol: . Check his gallery for pics and story.

Derek

WoodOx
03-07-2007, 08:20 PM
Thanks derek!

mark
03-07-2007, 08:27 PM
Aguacher

If I remember correctly this is the same MU that Slyfox was drawn for last year. Another great area, if no-one minds I will respond in PM as I still want to hunt there in the future:lol: . Check his gallery for pics and story.

Derek

Yip that where sly got his bear! Hes also Pmed me with a little info. I got the draw too! :lol:

derek p
03-07-2007, 08:50 PM
I drew 6-14A. I hope to get up there May 1st as the lower areas around the Nass should be greening up nicely. I am a bit concerned about the snow this year as I was there in Jan and had unbelievable amounts of snow dump on me. Has anyone had this draw? I'm not sure if I should go early and hunt the green areas down low, or wait and hunt a bit later when the avalanche chutes green up???

I just found my LeH maps, all I can say is Sorry.:sad:

I don't know this area that well, but will phone around for you.

All I can stress is SNOW, SNOW, and more SNOW. If this area (its actually very small with little access) does green up, you will have fun,

It borders the Bear river, and there is always lots of grizz in the summer fattening up near stewart with all the salmon.

Let me work on it for you, and I'll get back to you.

Derek

Young buck
03-07-2007, 10:44 PM
i need some info on grizzly for zone D of 5-15

MtnBoy
03-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Thanks Derek!:lol:

JohnS
03-08-2007, 12:46 PM
anyone care to share any info on 4-18?

MtnBoy
03-08-2007, 12:47 PM
This is another vote for Hanky Panky's. I was actually attacked by a Grizzly AND a Cougar there. Fortunatly for me, I escaped, but with an unspecified lower body injury.

olek_Z_bc
03-08-2007, 01:13 PM
Thank you for the outstanding source of info Derek. :)

Much appriciated.

Now i have some kind of 'plan' about heading up there.

brno375
03-18-2007, 02:32 PM
Here are a couple of references:

"Bear Hunting in Alaska" by Tony Russ www.TonyRuss.com (http://www.tonyruss.com/)

"Skinning and Field Care of Alaska Bears" by Chris Batin www.AlaskaHunter.com (http://www.alaskahunter.com/)

Good luck with the hunt

Bcbowhead
05-08-2007, 04:52 PM
Anybody get 7-42? Looking for 4th, jet boat trip, leaving on the 24th of May for a week or so. PM me if interested.

elkhunter1
02-26-2009, 10:00 AM
4-28 Draw for me.

Slee
02-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Can you ceck online yet for the leh?? Cant seem to find anything yet...

Scobo
02-26-2009, 01:09 PM
Great idea on the topic.

I was drawn for 4-27. Need any advice you have for the area for mid May. Might also need someone to go with.

yama49
02-26-2009, 02:10 PM
4-37 draw for me... thx for any info that might surface

rgv
02-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Youngfella has offered me a ton of information, but I thought I would throw out another request for information regarding 6-19A (South West of Dease Lake)

Myself and Mark have drawn tags in this area, and are looking to head up there in May. Thanks in advance - can PM me if youd like!

tanzilla rail loop, as early as possible. bring snowshoes

mark
02-26-2009, 03:00 PM
Hey guys..... This thread is 2 years old... Lots of currant grizz threads to chat on!

pushbush
03-04-2009, 09:01 AM
How bout any info on 3-35 or 3-36 , is there alot of grizz in there?

Beardy
03-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Will anyone be joining me in 7-38 this year?

Jonny outdoors
03-09-2009, 08:34 PM
I draw a tag for 4-37. Right in the middle of staring at a back road map of the area,I cant wait.

Big jer
03-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Happy days have returned! My son received a Grizz LEh for 4 -31. He is very excited. Not wanting to pry to much but was wandering if anyone has any info on the Grizz in that area?

kayjayess
03-14-2009, 04:47 PM
Hi all,

Lots of chatter on Grizz LEH - awesome. I have a LEH allocation for 7-38. Being a coastal boy I am keen on any insite or advice you can offer. I am putting a real effort in this year with over 2 weeks to put something on the ground. Good luck to everyone else out there and thanks for any direction you may have to offer.

Camp Cook
03-14-2009, 07:53 PM
7-38 as always look for south facing slopes and not necassarily up high my grizzly was actually very near the bottom of the valley...

Along the west side of Williston Lake past the Messilinka River is a fairly good area for grizzly to hang out snow should be melting quicker close to the lake so may work for you.

I haven't been up this way very far but from what I hear is if you head north of Osilinka camp there should be good south facing slides.

edit to add; remember you cannot use an ATV for hunting in 7-38.

huntingfamily
03-22-2009, 06:40 PM
Got drawn here.
Does anybody have any tips for starter places to check out in this MU?

Thanks,
hf
:smile:

todbartell
03-22-2009, 06:54 PM
Got drawn here.
Does anybody have any tips for starter places to check out in this MU?

Thanks,
hf
:smile:

didn't have any luck in 4-18 last year? :D

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=250715&postcount=1

huntingfamily
03-22-2009, 06:58 PM
Hey TB,

Just sows and cubs!

Thought I'd look at another MU this year.

hf

DWH
03-24-2009, 10:03 AM
2 tags in our hunting party for 4-15 A.

It's a new draw, any ideas, please PM me.

Thanks in advance, Dave.

Barracuda
04-22-2009, 03:09 PM
hows everyones plans shapeing up? I know with the cold we decided to move the date back about a week and a bit how about everyone else?

still got lots to do and the plan is to bring the hounds but it is all do able so far :shock:

BCbillies
04-22-2009, 04:56 PM
hows everyones plans shapeing up? I know with the cold we decided to move the date back about a week and a bit how about everyone else?

We head out on the 10th which was a week later than originally planned. My partner couldn't end up switching shifts for early May but in the end it may work in our favour! :smile: I need to get a little better acquainted with the 375 and let my wife know that I'll be away for a while . . . other than that we're good to go.

chinookkiller
04-22-2009, 06:24 PM
Does anybody have any tips for starter places to check out in 7-28?
thanks a lot!

pupper
04-22-2009, 06:43 PM
well, I have a draw for 5-15a in the quesnel highlands, south of horsefly lake, and west of wells gray park, I have a few areas, that I located on google earth that look promising, but I have never hunted that area and would appreciate any insider tips. I am planning on may long weekend to hunt there.

pupper
05-11-2009, 10:20 PM
well I am heading out this weekend with my hunting partner, I still would appreciate any advice or tips for this area (5-15a) anyone been up there and seen any sign or sightings of grizzly?

cheers,

well, I have a draw for 5-15a in the quesnel highlands, south of horsefly lake, and west of wells gray park, I have a few areas, that I located on google earth that look promising, but I have never hunted that area and would appreciate any insider tips. I am planning on may long weekend to hunt there.