PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Purchasing First Black Lab Bird Dog

Sarge789
04-28-2014, 03:34 PM
Hey everyone,

So my girlfriend and I are looking to buy our first dog. My family on my fathers side has always had black lab hunting dogs and this is the natural, much needed way to go for my nostalgic, duck hunting self. I am located in the lower mainland.

As I have never owned a dog of my own, let alone purchased a hunting dog, I am not sure what to look for or where.

How do I find reputable dealers? What do I look for in a pup? How did you go about finding the right dog for you?

I am hoping not to spend too much money.. $1500 max I would say.

Any of you experienced old hunters out there, I would appreciate your input for a young pup such as myself... This is a big decision/investment and I am going to do my due diligence in going about it the right way.

Thank you very much,

Sarge789

Edit: This would not be a strictly hunting dog, if that makes any difference.. I am also looking for a companion for fishing, hiking, general life. Hopefully a good dog to have around horses, but one that will retrieve a duck so I don't have to spend countless hours searching around in reeds! A black lab is a must, however.

yamadirt 426
04-28-2014, 03:54 PM
Well this should be interesting . 1 make sure your breeder of choice does ALL health clearances or don't bother posting about it . 2 see #1 again. And 3 well see #1 again. Or the thread will turn to shite. There has been a lot of breeder names put up here very recently so spend some time and look through old threads . A ton of info already posted on black labs and where to get one. Again it will save this thread from turning to shite. Your lab will do everything you stated . Get one from hunting stock ! Important. Everything else is preference as far as birdyness. Good luck !

04-28-2014, 03:55 PM
Cedarbrea
http://cedarbraelabs.webs.com/

look for health checks.. and dont be in a hurry. There will be more information by more informed people coming soon im sure.
look for strictly a hunting dog, because all labs make great pets! but all labs do not make great hunters.

if you want more information on this breeder pm me.

Sarge789
04-28-2014, 04:26 PM
Well this should be interesting . 1 make sure your breeder of choice does ALL health clearances or don't bother posting about it . 2 see #1 again. And 3 well see #1 again. Or the thread will turn to shite. There has been a lot of breeder names put up here very recently so spend some time and look through old threads . A ton of info already posted on black labs and where to get one. Again it will save this thread from turning to shite. Your lab will do everything you stated . Get one from hunting stock ! Important. Everything else is preference as far as birdyness. Good luck !

Right, I understand that there has been a lot of threads about this and that regarding hunting dogs. I have looked and read, as well as on the internet elsewhere, however I know that the population on this website is a great resource in itself, and I have very generic questions rather then specific.

I am not looking necessarily for what breeder to look for, but rather how to get started finding one myself, what to look for, how to verify, and then what to look for in the dog itself.

So, any help in this regard will be appreciated!

Thank you,

Sarge789

Foxton Gundogs
04-28-2014, 04:52 PM
I DO NOT breed Labs anymore but did for many years as did my family before. As Yamy says check the guarantee against the known hereditary problems http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?106292-White-Robin-Kennels outlined by Labguy pretty well in this thread. Here is what I guarantee for with my chosen breeds. #1..Health, #2..Temperment, #3..Working ability. I also offer a number of options should the pup fail any points of my guarantee to alow the owner to keep their dog with some compensation, some breeders insist the pup be returned or put down before replacement/reimbursement. Do your homework, choose the breeder wisely and enjoy the ride.

f350ps
04-29-2014, 08:04 PM
Check out Someday Retrievers, Linda has been around a long time and always has good dogs. Good luck! K

Sarge789
04-29-2014, 10:19 PM
Thanks for all the good responses and PM'S fellas... Much appreciated

Jimsue
05-02-2014, 02:27 PM
Entry Express is the go to place for finding a pup, look in the classified section. I have a 4 month old pup from Razor Labs in Winnipeg, Shac bitch, sired by Troubadour, very nice pup. He's breeding the same bitch to Fen Wizard in a month or so and half of them are already sold

XtimberX
10-15-2014, 11:29 PM
I got one of Linda clines dogs from someday retrievers ... He's a natural ... I swear he was born ready

Foxton Gundogs
10-16-2014, 03:51 PM
Are you sure you need a purebred? My first Lab (25 years ago) was crossed with a Springer and she was an incredible upland dog, but she hated the water. The little fellow I have now is Black Lab Chessie cross and I can't keep him out of the water. If I don't close the door when I'm having a shower; guess who's in the tub with me! He is awesome at retrieving and his nose is second to none. I paid 300 for him. After all his shots and Vet checks he cost me about 900.

Nothing wrong with those crosses. We had an ooops litter when my Springer male went over a 7 ft fence and got at my wife's Golden, great puppies already retrieving at 7 weeks fantastic personalities. I am not an advocate of designer dogs but if you got to have a cross bred what better than a "mutt" with both parents from FTC lines with all tests and certs done. Sire and Dam hunt upland and retrieve waterfowl great, so these lil buggers should hunt like a hot damn, what they will look like is anyone's guess lol Sold to hunting homes only under a spay/neuter contract.

TThomsen
10-24-2014, 03:11 AM
I highly recommend Eromit Labrador Retrievers out of Quesnel BC, I have a lab from there and he is a great hunter lives for it, does upland and waterfowl and excels at it, I have also been training him for small game and blood trailing and he has picked it up fast! they offer all the vet checks , certifications etc.. They also have a puppy head start program to get the taining started which in my books is a great idea! They offer Blacks,Chocolates and Yellows I have met their bitchs and studs and all of them are top quality dogs give them a look you won't be disappointed

TThomsen
10-24-2014, 03:12 AM
I will also add that my dog is as good as a family dog as he is a hunter!

Ranger95
10-24-2014, 06:42 AM
The only problem I had with my Lab Springer cross was she turned out to be an alcoholic. You would think that after a hard day hunting she would be happy to lay in front of the wood stove. Nope not this one, she would steal your drink as soon as you weren't looking. It didn't matter if it was a beer, whiskey or tequila straight up! Turned out she was one of the best drinking buddies I've ever had. There were never any arguements and she rarely talked back! LMAO

That's crazy, my red (blue) heeler fetches me beer from the fridge, but doesn't really like the taste - might try him on some Fosters and see if he prefers it .....