PDA

View Full Version : rennell sound road closing

bard
04-28-2014, 01:38 PM
talked to the people at the tourism info center over the phone today. im planning on heading out there in july so I wanted to check up on the road status. they said the road from the bottom of the hill to the launch will be permanently closed in may. they are putting in a makeshift launch at the bottom of the hill but it will be exposed. how will this effect the area? I had plans of hauling my 23ft down the hill if it was dry out or launching in charlotte city and having the truck go around to meet me. I don't know the lay of the land down there. i'm just wondering how a trip out there can still me made possible. is there somewhere close to shore that a guy can anchor up and get fairly close with a pick up? i'm thinking I may have to bring a small tinner or zodiac to get to and from shore and leave the big boat on the water.

anyone have any more info on the road or advice on how to make this trip still work? we really want to try this area out. I would much rather fish out of the sound than have to go through the narrows every day.

Moosegetter
04-28-2014, 04:54 PM
I haven't been down there for years but I know you wouldn't want to drag a 23 ft boat down that hill. You would be better off going around. I used to take a 16 ft Zodiac in there on a trailer and needed 4x4 to come up the hill.

hunter1993ap
04-28-2014, 05:11 PM
we pulled a 30 foot travel trailer down the hill about 8 years ago. had no issues with the hill up or down. the road was in good shape then. we just had a cartopper so we didn't need a launch, so cant help you out with that.

bcriverhunter
04-28-2014, 07:44 PM
Hmmm....i see your problem!....we were there
4 years ago with truck, 9.5 foot camper , pulling
An 18 foot aluminum with 40 jet...the road said
"closed" then but all the locals said that was just an ild sugn
So we went in.....all the boats were there, people
Coming and going....so, if they are building
A launch then mayn it realy is.closed??
We camped at the launch and was really nice but
I do see a problem-once you launch u will have to go souyh
For calm water...so were do you camp?..
Let me think about this and get back to you-typing
On smart phone!! Lol

bcriverhunter
04-28-2014, 07:54 PM
If you are willing to launch everyday and pull outr
your boat you prob could find a spot on the road to make
A camp!
...if i remember there were a lot of campers at dif
Spots north..but you are draggng a 23 footer?

..hard to say??..good luck. larry

bard
04-28-2014, 08:25 PM
dragging a 23ft sea ox. staying in an outfitters tent. so we don't need a big fancy site. we are on the water 16 hours most days so as long as we have enough space for the tent, truck, boat and deep freeze we will be more than happy. I imagine with that road and campground gone it will bet harder to find a good site. saw a pic of the new launch on facebook. doesn't look to bad but could be a harry if she's blowing hard. I don't have an issue with pulling the boat out every night but it will suck if the launch is no good at low tide or in a big chop. worst case I guess is run the boat down to the old launch and tie it up for the night and hike it back to camp. not ideal but better than running all the way back to charlotte city.

found this article. hope the courts make the guy sell the road to the government so it stays open and there will be two launches.

Editor, Sir;
The Clapp Basin Recreation Society would like to thank everyone on island who signed the recent petition to keep the Clapp Basin road access open. Letters of support were received from Masset, Old Massett, Port Clements, Village of Queen Charlotte, Skidegate, the Coast Guard and the Department of Fisheries and Oceans. Sandspit’s MIMC also wrote to the SQCRD also to support keeping the road open.
The Undersea Harvester Association has expressed its concern over the closing of the Clapp Basin site. Phone calls from people in Alberta and from the states express their concerns about the only safe boat launch and road access on the west coast being closed.
The petition was only circulating for one week. It drew nearly 700 signatures! It had to be collected after one week as it needed to be filed with other documents with the court.
Leonard Munt from FLNRO was served with the papers on Wednesday April 16 by CBRS secretary Claudette Lavoie. Solutions to insurance and road upgrades were all offered to FLNRO and the owners of the property by the CBRS to no avail. That is why the CBRS went the court route.
A Supreme Court judge will hear the case in Masset on May 12. Donations to help with the legal fees can be deposited into the Clapp Basin Recreation Society account #7336969 at NSCU.
Jack Armstrong
Queen Charlotte

bcriverhunter
04-28-2014, 08:52 PM
Question....is that marina.area.closed also, or
Just the road in?
....still thinking about this too!! lol

Mike_R
04-28-2014, 10:24 PM
My understanding is the campsite and boat launch in Clapp Basin will still be open, but the road from the bottom of the hill into Clapp Basin is closed to the public.

bcriverhunter
04-29-2014, 06:19 AM
Ok..here is what i would do, and may do myself:)
..launch boat with all the gear you can and boat
Over to camp site!
.make camp!....fairly calm over there so shore up
Ot zodiac/ dingy your stuff over(repeat as needed)
...since you are bringing ur freezer bring over your
Generator too!....leave your truck and trailer near boat
Launch- but it will be un attended(only bad thing maybe?)
......as ur freezer fills up(and it will)...drive to town as needed!

.....note..hope you like crab, becuase the campsite
Inlet has LOTS!!..:)
......that hill is steep, so make sure ur brakes are good
And ur trainy can hold back ur rig without using
Brakes if possible...my hubs were almost smokn
Hot!! ..larry

bard
04-29-2014, 01:29 PM
thanks for the good advice. keep it coming. I think we can get our hands on a 16ft zodiac so maybe moving camp down to the old launch would work. only hang up will be getting our fuel tank down there or having to come back to the truck to fuel up. because of the great ferry laws our best bet with bringing enough fuel will be to put an empty diesel slip tank in the back of the truck and fill it once we get to the island. I guess we could bring a few more spare jerry cans filled with water on the ferry and use them to run fuel back and forth. dropping a new rebuilt 350 in the ol girl as we speak and she is pretty thirsty especially if were running 20 some miles out to the fishing grounds.

glad u mentioned the crab by the old campground being abundant. I have always had poor luck with crabbing so that may be incentive enough to move to the old launch if you can drop traps by camp before leaving in the morning. anyone know how the prawning is in the area? I have never given it a go but may try if it is worth while in the area. I don't have a pot puller but do have an old anchor winch on the front that we don't use anymore and may be able to convert it.

Mike_R
06-07-2014, 08:57 PM
I just heard today that although the road is officially "closed" it is actually still open due to a pending challenge in the court system. http://www.haidagwaiiobserver.com/Article.aspx?Id=5020

Mike_R
06-08-2014, 07:44 PM
If anyone is interested, they can donate money to the Clapp Basin Recreation Society to help fight the legal battle with the province to keep this road open. Money can be deposited to their account with Northern Savings Credit Union in Queen Charlotte.

http://www.haidagwaiiobserver.com/Opinion.aspx

gerrygoat
06-08-2014, 08:26 PM
Which part of the road is closing, all of it or just from the bottom of the big hill going left or right?

REMINGTON JIM
06-08-2014, 08:45 PM
Which part of the road is closing, all of it or just from the bottom of the big hill going left or right?

gerry i think its from the bottom of the hill LEFt to were the boat lauch and make shift wharf was - you may know this - Terry Jans ran a Halibut Fishing Charter out of there for Years ! He fished out to Tartu and Seal inlets mostly for Halibut - We also fished out around Conehead for springs and Cohos . I have NO idea WHY they want or need ?? to close the Road , do you or any one else ? RJ

gerrygoat
06-08-2014, 09:34 PM
I don't know either. I checked it the road to the left in the past it doesn't go far but there is a nice little area there to launch from, hope everything works out. Rennell Sound is one of my favorite places to visit when there.......

fearless
06-08-2014, 11:43 PM
gerry i think its from the bottom of the hill LEFt to were the boat lauch and make shift wharf was - you may know this - Terry Jans ran a Halibut Fishing Charter out of there for Years ! He fished out to Tartu and Seal inlets mostly for Halibut - We also fished out around Conehead for springs and Cohos . I have NO idea WHY they want or need ?? to close the Road , do you or any one else ? RJ
RJ the rd going left to the back camp site most of the rd is owned by a private owner, the rd washes out quite often, the owner and the BCFS don't want to pay for the up keep on it, so for liability reasons they want to close the road.

REMINGTON JIM
06-09-2014, 08:20 AM
RJ the rd going left to the back camp site most of the rd is owned by a private owner, the rd washes out quite often, the owner and the BCFS don't want to pay for the up keep on it, so for liability reasons they want to close the road.

OH ! Well that explains it then ! RJ