PDA

View Full Version : West Kootenay bear activity?

Rackmastr
04-28-2014, 11:14 AM
Hey Guys

I'm headed from Cranbrook to Osoyoos tomorrow and back the next day, going to throw in a rifle and a 17 for some bears and turkeys and take my time getting out there and coming back.

I've never hunted bears around the Trail/Castlegar area but hear its pretty decent. Much moving these days? I know its greener over there than Cranbrook area. What about Grand Forks area? Many bears in that area?

Any suggestions on what general areas have more bears around than others (I'll be making my way west anyways but no real timeline on when I NEED to be in Osoyoos tomorrow night).

Any suggestions appreciated...if not I'll just start checking out some FSR's along the way.

Everett
04-28-2014, 12:13 PM
Anyplace close to Rossland will be crawling in them.

boxhitch
04-28-2014, 01:47 PM
An interesting back road is south of Salmo on the Pend D'Oreille river , between # 6 and # 22a. Have seen bear and heard turkey in there , but that was some time ago. Always wanted to go back.

Rackmastr
04-28-2014, 04:30 PM
Interesting stuff guys, thanks!!

Is the general area better further to the east than out to the west closer to Grand Forks, etc?

monasheemountainman
04-28-2014, 05:01 PM
I think you should be able to find bears around GF there are lots in the rock creek area. I'm sorry I don't have roads to give you but I think your on the right track by checking out places on the way. Good luck!

Dare
04-28-2014, 05:10 PM
Saw one last night and have seen some sign they're Just starting to come out. Find the fresh green on a logging and u might get lucky. Lots of turkey's in the west kootenay just gotta get out there and find em. We got a jake this morning on a logging road, saw six hens too.

Everett
04-28-2014, 07:47 PM
If the old highway from Christina Lake to Rossland is open its a good bet some nice newer cuts off sheep creek.

WKCotts
05-01-2014, 09:20 PM
Not open yet. Getting close tho. Was working on the power lines up there last week. Still snow up top