PDA

View Full Version : Shot a bear. Need a butcher. Good read.

Redneck
04-27-2014, 03:46 PM
Hey guys n gals. Yes the bears are out in Region 2, well at least one was. Went out Saturday for a day hunt and bagged myself a beautiful cinnamon boar. Up in the Squamish area, with next to no visible sign of any bears I found myself one piece of skat on the road. So, grabbed the .308 and off I went. Started off following some game trails with lots of sign of deer n elk and just kept going, finally came across some fatter prints in the mud and a few older pieces of skat, gettin warmer. Eventually I came up to some fresh tracks and skat, alright hearts a-goin now. Keepin low keep goin and about a hundred yards ahead I see him get up from his little dug out and look at me, I sight em in with my brand new Vortex Viper scope and BAM. Thru n thru both lungs in and out, he managed to run half way up a tree looked at me as I stared back through my scope I knew it was over. He falls. As I watch him take his last couple breaths I exhale with the biggest sense of relief, finally slayed me beast. Been trying to pull a black out of that certain area in Squamish for years now with minimal luck until yesterday. Wrestlin him outta there with one buddy was a huge hassle since I didn't want to dress him there, I wanted to keep the pelt. After a couple hours of grueling draggin, pushin, pullin n cursing, finally had him in the back of the truck.

Which brings me to my next point. I usually always hunt out of town, in fact this is my first kill in the Region 2. My butcher I use is up north near 100 Mile, which is a bit too far to drive for just a bear ha. I'm located in Burnaby and was trying to find a guy closer in the Lower Mainland that will do the cutter and butcher as well as making sausage, pepperoni and jerky. I tried Ennis, heard they're good but closed Sundays. I got the bear hanging in the garage for now which is okay till tomorrow at the latest with our mild weather.

Can anyone give me a good butcher to try out that they like? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions provided. Good luck, and happy huntin!

BearStump
04-27-2014, 04:25 PM
send steelco a pm. he has a list compiled of lower mainland butchers that have been recomended by HBC members.

Steeleco
04-27-2014, 04:54 PM
Congrats on the bear, we will need pictures ya know!! Send me a note to steeleco@gmail.com and you'll have the list ASAP

Redneck
04-27-2014, 05:23 PM

Here's a pic of the bear

d6dan
04-27-2014, 05:34 PM
Redneck, he doesn't look happy.:wink: JK man, nice bear..

VancouverSkiBum
04-27-2014, 07:06 PM
Very nice! Would like to hear who you end up choosing for a butcher, and how much he charged you for what. Please, shoot me a PM if you have the time. Cheers.

Redneck
05-02-2014, 11:02 AM
Thanks Steelco for the butcher list. Much appreciated! I ended up taking my bear to Mark at Ennis Meats. He was a really nice guy and said my bear looked real good and that I was the first of the season! Made me happy to hear that. We shot the shit for a while, he's good people. Outta the 150lbs of meat n bone; I'm gettin couple roasts, a few steaks, sasuage, jerky, and pepperoni made up so once I get it back I'll post the price and the quality.

BuckNaked
05-02-2014, 11:05 AM
congrats, nice bruin!

Derp
05-02-2014, 11:15 AM
nice bear! I've tried a few butchers locally, but so far Beltrame Meat Supply in Langley has done the best bear pepperoni for me

Redneck
05-02-2014, 11:29 AM
Thanks guys! Yeah it's probably my biggest I've gotten so far so I'm definitely happy with it. Steelco was suggesting Beltrame too but it's closed Monday and I had to get it in before Tuesday since we got blessed with this rare heat down here.

Here's another question for you guys. I tried my best to skin the bear out to make a rug out of it, any suggestions to a good taxidermy? I've use Fur n Feathers before and wasn't overly impressed with what they did with my last bear that my buddy with tons of experience skinned for me. Any other places with good work n good rates?

r106
05-02-2014, 12:04 PM
nice bear! I've tried a few butchers locally, but so far Beltrame Meat Supply in Langley has done the best bear pepperoni for me

He's done the last 2 bears for me as well. Great peperoni.

Not meaning to hijack the thread but has anyone tried his bear smokies? I want to get some done if I connect and have never tried them

r106
05-02-2014, 12:07 PM
Thanks guys! Yeah it's probably my biggest I've gotten so far so I'm definitely happy with it. Steelco was suggesting Beltrame too but it's closed Monday and I had to get it in before Tuesday since we got blessed with this rare heat down here.

Here's another question for you guys. I tried my best to skin the bear out to make a rug out of it, any suggestions to a good taxidermy? I've use Fur n Feathers before and wasn't overly impressed with what they did with my last bear that my buddy with tons of experience skinned for me. Any other places with good work n good rates?

Congrats on the bear. I've never done a hide yet and not sure if he does it or if he only does mounts but I would call Raywiens Taxidermy in Aldergrove. He does great work and if he doesn't do it I'm sure he will point you in the right direction.

Hunter49
05-02-2014, 12:28 PM
My son just got his last year's bear rug and wolf head from Ray Wiens and he did a nice job of both.

Redneck
05-02-2014, 12:54 PM
Great, I'll check him out thanks again guys

monasheemountainman
05-02-2014, 01:32 PM
nice bear dude congrats!

goatdancer
05-02-2014, 05:15 PM
Redneck, he doesn't look happy.:wink: JK man, nice bear..

He looks like he's taking a nap. :) Nice bear. Congrats.

olympia
05-02-2014, 08:15 PM
dropped mine off at Penguin Meats to turn into pepperoni, will post taste test results

Dour
05-03-2014, 11:07 PM
Please do let me know how penguin meat treats you I had to through away my white tail from them last year they gave me back moldy pepperoni and smokies pisses me right off I even brought it back to him the prick then maid me wait another month and replaced with someone else's game and it was so sour tasting a dog wouldn't eat it

Dour
05-03-2014, 11:08 PM
Back to your bear nice job. What was the snow lvl like in the Squamish Vally Area

olympia
05-04-2014, 11:14 AM
Please do let me know how penguin meat treats you I had to through away my white tail from them last year they gave me back moldy pepperoni and smokies pisses me right off I even brought it back to him the prick then maid me wait another month and replaced with someone else's game and it was so sour tasting a dog wouldn't eat it

you got me all worried man, I already bragged to my buddies about the bear pepperoni about to come. Maybe it was just one time screw up since I haven't heard anything else bad about them. Not trying to bust your balls bro but did you cool the meat right away and put it on ice as soon as possible

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
05-04-2014, 06:24 PM
Great Bear Sir! Congratulations.

Dour
05-05-2014, 09:59 PM
you got me all worried man, I already bragged to my buddies about the bear pepperoni about to come. Maybe it was just one time screw up since I haven't heard anything else bad about them. Not trying to bust your balls bro but did you cool the meat right away and put it on ice as soon as possible
Yes sir we did. And they were all clean shots . Temp out side was around -3 to +3. The deer were only dead for three days. We bought them to peg-hole meats oct 14 we didn't he them eat back ontil last weekend of nov and the second batch (mystery other hunters meat ) after Christmas worst experience of my 12 years of hunting

remington666
05-08-2014, 07:21 PM
Congrats on a nice bear and good choice taking it to Ennis ,mark is a really good guy

pinofire
05-09-2014, 12:20 PM
same thing happened to us last year and our deer was shot at -25.

Yes sir we did. And they were all clean shots . Temp out side was around -3 to +3. The deer were only dead for three days. We bought them to peg-hole meats oct 14 we didn't he them eat back ontil last weekend of nov and the second batch (mystery other hunters meat ) after Christmas worst experience of my 12 years of hunting

Redneck
05-14-2014, 10:41 PM
Well I'm pickin my meat up on Friday so I'll let you guys know how he did with this batch. It'll be good to know after all this flak their getting. I always go to butcher Bob in Forest Grove (?) and can't say enough about the top notch quality he provides.

Either way if he ruins the meat, I'm goin on another expedition next weekend with the boys for our annual bear hunt up by... yahh too much info ;)