PDA

View Full Version : Mule Deer Migration....

Montana
04-27-2014, 08:18 AM
Pretty Interesting..... Makes me wonder where else Mule Deer might migrate long distances...

http://huntervids.com/videos/mule-deer-migration-joe-riis-photography/

Montana
04-27-2014, 08:19 AM
Whoops...I just saw that this has already been posted here!!! :)

Jelvis
04-27-2014, 02:37 PM
No problem your welcome, very good clip on mule deer migration covering 150 miles.
Kamloops to Bonaparte Lake is a lonnnng ways -- and the proto type muley the Rocky Mountain, walks the walk
and talks the talk
That lil high sounding squeal is from the fawns, and the moan grunt deeper was the doe. Talkin and checkin the bells and whistles. The fawns are following a mature doe or does, his or her aunt or mom.
Jelly Joe Coffee

BigfishCanada
04-28-2014, 09:54 AM
Awesome vid, I know they are heading north now, seeing them head past my cabins like crazy, heading north. 10 days ago it was even crazier

Jelvis
04-28-2014, 12:20 PM
Big fish Canada is dah man, the out door observer, great up to date local news in the mountains right, where it's at.
Around Good Friday the doe said, "It's time to travel people." Heading north.
BigfishCanada adding some valuable knowledge after seeing and observing the mass migrations of mule deer up the hills from Kamsville and Savano/Red Lake-- hats off to the fish
Jelly Fish look now because the bucks leave last to head back -- bucks leave later and travel farther and higher

M.Dean
04-28-2014, 12:43 PM
A number of years ago I had my Quad out late in the season looking for Louie, I take back roads and trails to get to the top of the mountain where I normally hunt that time of the year. To get up there with a truck is impossible if the snows more than 2 feet or so deep, so there wasn't any other idiots up there except me! After plowing through the deep snow, with chains on my front tires I might add, I started to see quite a few Deer tracks going East, following the road. So I followed the tracks, after about a mile or two it started to look like a herd of Caribou were walking down the road in front of me! I got to the point of no return, where the road drops down big time to the Hyas main road, I couldn't go down so I glassed the tracks, they went down the hill, then turned right at the corner! I talked to a buddy a few days later, he'd being up the Hyas road and he followed the tracks from the bottom of the hill, he said after they came down the hill they all turned left, and went down towards the river! And that's where they winter, each and every year! So, I guess when the snows up top of here get a little to deep, and the temperature drops, all the Deer pack there bag's and head down to the alpha fields beside the river. It was something to behold seeing that many tracks, all fairly fresh in the snow, all going the same way, I've seen Deer tracks all over the roads before, usually when there rutting, and you could see the difference with these tracks, there didn't stop to have the odd Orgy, they were simply migrating to warmer places! So, I guess Deer around these parts do migrate also.

Jelvis
04-28-2014, 12:54 PM
The mule deer around Reg 3 migrate every year. Some from Bonaparte Lake to Kamloops Lake.