PDA

View Full Version : Here we go, Grizz trip!

Bear Brawler
04-26-2014, 11:01 PM
Well, it seems like I've been waiting forever but I am leaving in the morning for my spring grizz trip! Headed to 4-38, N of Revelstoke. I know snow levels may be a concern but it's the only week I was able to get 2 friends to commit to coming with me. My one buddy's father in-law came from Alberta to stay with his wife and 8 month old baby. To him I will be forever grateful for helping out and giving my buddy a chance to come on the trip, he doesn't even have a grizz tag. Turns out the father in-law is a well seasoned hunter so he gets it, he understands what this trip means.
Drop my daughter off in the morning at her moms, dog off at my friends and pick up my buddy with the trailer, mostly loaded already but will have to chuck a few things in it while we hook up.
Thanks to those who offered info and advice, the support is much appreciated. I promise to document the trip well, when I return I will post details with pics and hopefully have a great story with pics of big boar!
Happy hunting to all those out there, be safe and shoot straight!

toad
04-26-2014, 11:10 PM
good luck dude...

gutpile
04-26-2014, 11:10 PM
Good luck on your hunt, I put in for griz in region 4-38 south and didn't get it :icon_frow hopefully next year Lord willing.

BiG Boar
04-26-2014, 11:40 PM
Well look hard and find grass. They're out, but not in the usual spring spots. Low down along the sloughs and rivers have the most greenage now

gutpile
04-27-2014, 02:28 AM
I think it's way to early to hunt grizzlys in that area , there must be tons of snow still there.
Bring along some snowshoes you'll need them. chains for your truck allso.

chilcotin hillbilly
04-27-2014, 07:16 AM
I am with gutpile, you need a few more weeks atlwast. Good luck you never now. You may have 1 in 100 chance but atleast you have a chance.

swampthing
04-27-2014, 07:16 AM
If your not successful this trip head out again alone. I hunt much more intensely when I am alone. Access may be a bitch right now but you will have fun either way.

Hammerhead
04-27-2014, 07:22 AM
Good luck hope you connect. About another 3 weeks or so for us but getting really anxious","
HH

The Hermit
04-27-2014, 07:32 AM
If there are patches of snowless ground in the slides watch them intently. If you see a bear one day, watch him for hours until he leaves. Go back to the same viewing spot much earlier the next day and hope to see him arrive. Be in position on the third day to ambush him either coming or going depending on wind and ease of access. There won't be too many out early but those that are will probably be giants! Good luck... hoping to leave this week for my own trip, work and weather permitting.

Wrj
04-27-2014, 08:15 AM
Yes, was in the same area this time last year. Snow was too deep for chains in most spots. Bring snowshoes!

yama49
04-27-2014, 08:43 AM
I was fishing lake revy yesterday, it was snowing..Snow levels are still low.. That being said, going, is better than sitting at home.. Good luck

pescado
04-27-2014, 08:44 AM
Good luck Bear. It won't be the first grizzly ever shot at the beginning of May around Revelstoke.

moosinaround
04-27-2014, 08:52 AM
Go kick some ass!! Good hunting to you! You got legs, snowshoes, and most importantly, a gung-ho attitude!! It's the journey, as well as the kill! Waiting for your adventure on HBC! Moosin

Kudu
04-27-2014, 10:04 AM
Good luck guys - can't wait for the report.

Barracuda
04-27-2014, 10:09 AM
good luck that's a nice area we hunted it years ago and there some nice grizzly in there .

NorBC
04-27-2014, 10:15 AM
best of luck, hope you connect!

604redneck
04-27-2014, 10:28 AM
I drew that tag last year and hunt that area quite often for black bear let me know if u need any info.

GoatGuy
04-27-2014, 11:11 AM
The boars are out just a matter of finding them. Don't get discouraged.

Good luck!

HarryToolips
04-27-2014, 03:23 PM
Good luck mang...hope ya nuke one...

375 ultramag
04-28-2014, 10:49 AM
Good luck. Hope to see some pics

Rackmastr
04-28-2014, 11:28 AM
Good luck!!! Like others have said, will be a lot of snow I'm guessing, but bears should be out and the big boars should be out roaming around if you can get back there.

Cant wait to see a trip report and some pics when you return!!

BULLNUTTS
04-28-2014, 11:43 AM
Good Luck - Have an enjoyable trip. There are some very beautiful G bears in there! Hope you guys connect on a whopper. Good Huntin BULLNUTTS

Liveforthehunt
05-26-2014, 07:35 PM
How did u make out ?

GoatGuy
06-12-2014, 12:07 AM
Bear Brawler, how'd it go?

Sounds like it was a good spring from the other guys who hunted up there. Lots of grizz seen, passed on, and a first time grizz hunter got his first grizz as well.

gutpile
06-14-2014, 06:41 PM
Funny no story !

Bear Brawler
06-14-2014, 10:02 PM
There is no story sorry. Great week but too much snow to access the zone we were heading for. We blew the motor on one quad trying to get up through the snow early one morning, so it was 2 of us on my quad and the third in the back of the quad trailer. One of the guys was able to take his first black bear on the first day, but he's not much into posting so I am not at liberty to post photos. It wasn't a big bear, only about 5' but his first so that was good. We ran into some logging crews and they all said to head up "this valley" and it was the one we couldn't get up. Unfortunately I was the only one who remembered snow shoes and I wasn't going in alone. I heard the road cleared a few days after we left and someone was able to get a 5.5' grizz off the road and that was it. Was emailing with someone who spent almost two weeks up the valley starting the following week and he said he saw no grizz at all. I was toying with going back but work was busy so I stayed home. We saw lots of moose and caribou and heard the wolves one morning from camp but couldn't get them to come in. It was fun, felt good to get out but I was bummed on the snow and what little areas we could get into. Oh well, there's next year. I was able to take a Grouse with the front of my truck at 100km an hour on the highway, little bugger cracked the front grille of my truck! Sorry guys. :cry: