PDA

View Full Version : Easter Chocolate (a little late)

Stone Sheep Steve
04-26-2014, 04:36 PM
Since downing her first buck last fall, SnowshoeSniper has been dreaming of chasing spring bruins.
Our first outing this spring was the Thursday before Easter. We spotted one brown phase but it was too far and too late to make a play on the bear.
Easter Sunday found us out in the afternoon and it didn't take long before we spotted a solo brown in a stalkable position. We made a play but there was a lot of downfall to be cut before we could get close enough to start hiking up the steep slopes. The delay gave the bear more time to potentially move into new area but SsS was determined to find her first bear.
The stalk went well and we found the right opening but the afternoon winds sold us short and swapped directions a few times. Needless to say we went home with no 'Easter Chocolate'.

Still determined, SsS wanted to head out again Thursday after school but other than a few mulies, our evening of spotting was uneventful. Not easily deterred, we were back on the slopes glassing hard the next afternoon. After hours of non-productive scanning, SsS's attention began to wander and she made her own fun rolling large boulders down a steep slope. I can remember finding much pleasure in the same activity when I was younger and I joined in the fun.:)

Eventually, I got bored my attention diverted back to glassing the distant openings. Immediately, I spotted 2 bears about 2 kms away and the game was back on....but the clock was ticking. We watched them for a while and SsS noticed the larger, lighter brown bear would follow the darker bear until the darker bear would swap ends and chase off the lighter bear. After a few minutes of debate we figured they were either siblings or perhaps a boar was trying to gain some 'brownie points' for a few weeks down the road when the rutt would kick into full gear.
Either way, SsS was raring to go and down her first bear but we would have to move quickly as it was already 7:15pm.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC01285.JPG

We bailed down the road and soon found ourselves hiking up the steep slopes towards the bears....but, unlike Easter Sunday, this time the thermals were steady into our faces.
As the opening came into view, our hopes were high. We slowly eased across the slope using the sporadic trees for cover and soon spotted some brown movement through the trees. SsS got set up on my pack and had a small shooting lane and we waited...........it was the lighter-colored boar.
He was feeding along but never gave a good angle for more than a second or two. Suddenly we saw flashes of brown as, once again, the smaller bear chased off the larger bear. Losing sight of the bears we slowly inched forward and closed the distance.
Being patient was the right thing to do but the light was steadily fading and the colours seemingly began to blend.
I peeked up above a small rock face and saw the movement of what I thought was boar. SsS eased forward and upward and got into position. We watched and waited. When the bear presented a quartering shot I gave SsS the green light. With every second I expected the 7mm-08 to bark...when all of a sudden the larger and lighter bear entered from the left into my field of vision. I told SsS to hit the brakes and she refocused on the the bigger bear. He must have seen her swing the rifle into position and locked onto our location. After a few seconds he decided to bolt for safety but I 'huffed' at him and got him to stop. As he turned back towards us, SsS was locked onto his big chest and dropped him like the hand of Thor. SsS and the 140gn Accubond had done their jobs!
SsS had her first bear on the ground and I had lived through one of 'my' most memorable hunting experiences to date.
As the video shows, there's no question who was more excited.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSC01287.JPG
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSC01293.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrqfL4rUxQs

SsS knew it was going to be a late night on the mountain but there was no way she was letting anything get in her way of downing her very first bear!!

We didn't arrive home until after 12:30 am.

Congrats SsS! You sure deserve this one!!!

One proud Dad
SSS

nature girl
04-26-2014, 04:42 PM
Way to go for your daughter and a great dad to teach her the ropes to get her done and do not ever give up.

frenchbar
04-26-2014, 04:43 PM
Thanks for sharing yours and SsS hunt .Was a good read .your daughters turning into a fine hunter!Congrats on her bear!

358mag
04-26-2014, 04:49 PM
Great Stuff SSS + SsS congrads - see the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.:-D
Great looking bear should make some great eats and a fine rug.

coach
04-26-2014, 05:02 PM
Great stuff, SsS and SSS! Gorgeous looking bear. Can't wait to take my step-son out for his first.

pnbrock
04-26-2014, 05:23 PM
that is so awesome !!! nice bear girl!!

Sitkaspruce
04-26-2014, 05:26 PM
Congrats to SsS and SSS on the great bear!!!!

The start of many more memories I am sure!!

Again congrats and a very nice bear

Cheers

SS

one-shot-wonder
04-26-2014, 05:31 PM
Attago JT! good work to you too Steve......love the authentic excitement from both of you, the video will be priceless in years to come.

Tell SsS it was a road hunt, cause you spotted it from the truck! Yes I am calling her out for not working hard enough! ;)

Congrats to you both, special moment in a father and daughter's life............

Ambush
04-26-2014, 05:37 PM
Priceless, just priceless!!

Congratulations to both of you on an awesome cinnamon bear and a great hunt!

I can see you will be doing a lot more skinning than shooting in the years to come and you'll enjoy every minute of it.

SnowshoeSniper
04-26-2014, 05:44 PM
Thanks everyone, it was some hunt. The meat will make some nice meals for the family, and if the hide is not too rubbed up we'll tan him. Yes, later on we confirmed it was a boar. :wink:

Attago JT! good work to you too Steve......love the authentic excitement from both of you, the video will be priceless in years to come.

Tell SsS it was a road hunt, cause you spotted it from the truck! Yes I am calling her out for not working hard enough! ;)

Congrats to you both, special moment in a father and daughter's life............

Haha, joke is on you. We spotted it from a rocky bluff, not from the tracker. It was pretty special, although I didn't expect the bear to drop like a sack of hammers however.

d6dan
04-26-2014, 05:52 PM
Congrats SsS & SSS. Heck of a 1st bear. :-D

Everett
04-26-2014, 06:08 PM
That's freaking awsome

SingleShot
04-26-2014, 07:32 PM
What a lucky girl to have such a dad. That will be an evening you two will cherish. Congratulations.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-26-2014, 07:43 PM
Thanks all!
My entire hunting season is a success no matter what happens the rest of the year!

What a lucky girl to have such a dad. That will be an evening you two will cherish. Congratulations.

Au contraire. Having a kid who wants to keep going back into the bush no matter what happened last time makes me the luckiest Dad around!
She's the driving force. I'm just the 'driver'!:)

SSS

SingleShot
04-26-2014, 07:47 PM
You're right, it works both ways. You both did a great job. I was impressed how you reminded SsS of the safety aspects in the heat of the moment.

BearStump
04-26-2014, 07:51 PM
And with no camo from head to toe??? What sorcery is this?? Way to lay the smack down Sss. Making memories like that is priceless!

Stone Sheep Steve
04-26-2014, 07:52 PM
You're right, it works both ways. You both did a great job. I was impressed how you reminded SsS of the safety aspects in the heat of the moment.

Thanks!
We both discussed the whether to leave the momentary 'lapse' in the video or not and both decided it should be used as a learning tool for other new hunters. We're not perfect....but we can always get better....new and old hunters.

SSS

Dusty Roads
04-26-2014, 07:54 PM
Awesome! And congrats, beautiful first bear and I loved the video
great job!

Fisher-Dude
04-26-2014, 07:57 PM
Congrats SsS and SSS! What a great bear!

landphil
04-26-2014, 08:11 PM
Nicely done, congrats to both of you!

Stone Sheep Steve
04-26-2014, 08:26 PM
BTW- We both forgot to thank calvin L who loaned us his sons' Savage youth 7mm-08. SsS's Model Seven was one of Remmy trigger recalls so this bear season would have been a right-off without calvin's generous offer.
Many thanks, my Friend! As mentioned in the vid, we both wish you were there!

SSS

r106
04-26-2014, 09:17 PM
Beautiful Bear. Great Job, It sure makes me want to get out there right now but my spot needs another week or two

Rattler
04-26-2014, 09:26 PM
Congrats SsS and SSS on a very nice bear. Some great memories there....a hunt you both won't forget. Loved the video -thanks for taking us along.

rageous
04-26-2014, 11:25 PM
Very refreshing video. Thanks for sharing.

Skillet
04-27-2014, 12:11 AM
Awesome story and video! Congrats to you both especially SsS! I'm going to show both my girls this video in the morning for sure

Coop
04-27-2014, 01:03 AM
Grats to both of you!

sawmill
04-27-2014, 05:56 AM
Beauty!Lucky man you are to have a kid like that!

dana
04-27-2014, 06:39 AM
Congrats to the both of you! That is what it is all about! Amazing memories for both father and daughter that will last a lifetime! What a great first bear!!!

buckguy
04-27-2014, 07:12 AM
Congrats SsS, great bear. Smile says it all. Many more good times ahead.

swampthing
04-27-2014, 07:13 AM
Great stuff SsS. You have a great "intense look" when you are on a stalk. Nice shootin too.

04-27-2014, 07:13 AM
Good job you guys.

ElectricDyck
04-27-2014, 07:14 AM
Great experience to share and great you got it on video!

Hammerhead
04-27-2014, 07:17 AM
Congrats dad and daughter on a fine first bear and some great memories. Sounds like many more to come
HH

04-27-2014, 07:43 AM
That's a dandy Brent ...... Congrats to your daughter and you on the coaching

ct

The Hermit
04-27-2014, 07:57 AM
I almost didn't read this thread because I was thinking milk chocolate not big boag chocolate! Really glad I did! Great hunt and happy for both of you!!

Hillbros_96
04-27-2014, 08:15 AM
Way to go SsS.

Fisher-Dude
04-27-2014, 08:30 AM
Jamie: "can we go, can we go?"

Love it!

field marshal
04-27-2014, 09:16 AM
Wow!!!! This little lady is the real deal??:-D Congrats to you on a beautiful trophy. Good job dad on bringing up an already great hunter!
Cheers---Field marshal.

yama49
04-27-2014, 09:37 AM
Way to go SsS, very nice bear. And congrats to your dad also, for teaching you.. You will remember it forever..

goatdancer
04-27-2014, 09:37 AM
Congratulations. Very nice bear. Grizzly next?

NorBC
04-27-2014, 10:06 AM
Nice bear, and great job!!

Bc Deer Hunter
04-27-2014, 10:54 AM
That's a great bear SsS! Congrats on your Easter bruin! Just took a glance out of my window at the mountain tops and the snows sure getting patchy, looks like ill be out next weekend trying to do what you have already done!

MB_Boy
04-27-2014, 11:08 AM
Brent....that's awesome!! Congrats to SsS!! :mrgreen:

GoatGuy
04-27-2014, 11:12 AM
Awesome job J! Way to go!

Blainer
04-27-2014, 11:13 AM
Absolutely Fantastic!!
The site needed this thread!
Thank you & congratulations

604redneck
04-27-2014, 11:13 AM
Good work! Good too see people teaching the youngsters the right way. The world needs more parents like you and less that won't spend the time.

SnowshoeSniper
04-27-2014, 11:46 AM
Thanks to all of you, I really did not expect this thread to get all this attention. It's really nice of you guys, I appreciate all the responses and feedback we get. Especially referring to the video, it was maybe just a 'little' shaky. Always get out your tripod.

Congratulations. Very nice bear. Grizzly next?

Thanks, but not likely. If anything, it would be another black bear. Still have another tag to use. :-D

If I win one of the limited entries, it would be sheep, goat, or elk. ;)

That's a great bear SsS! Congrats on your Easter bruin! Just took a glance out of my window at the mountain tops and the snows sure getting patchy, looks like ill be out next weekend trying to do what you have already done!

Thank you, and thats great! Post a thread when you get one, eyh? ;)

Absolutely Fantastic!!
The site needed this thread!
Thank you & congratulations

Thank you, I couldn't say the exact same myself, but I appreciate it all the same.

Good work! Good too see people teaching the youngsters the right way. The world needs more parents like you and less that won't spend the time.

Thanks, and so true! It's good to see parents taking their kids out hunting. Hunting is educating, am I right?

grizzly550
04-27-2014, 12:42 PM
Way to go! Good looking bruin.

redthorn
04-27-2014, 07:16 PM
fantastic bear, pics, and story. Thanks

Stone Sheep Steve
04-27-2014, 07:19 PM
Thanks to all of you, I really did not expect this thread to get all this attention. It's really nice of you guys, I appreciate all the responses and feedback we get. Especially referring to the video, it was maybe just a 'little' shaky. Always get out your tripod.

Thanks, but not likely. If anything, it would be another black bear. Still have another tag to use. :-D

If I win one of the limited entries, it would be sheep, goat, or elk. ;)

Haha. Cory and Shawn wouldn't be happy since I sat in on their cinematography seminar at the BCWF convention....TRIPOD....TRIPOD....TRIPOD. And to think it was in my pack on my back the entire time:oops:.

Okay,here's the deal, camera girl......guess who's filming my next archery bear hunt?? And you won't have to worry about the stalk, the wind, re-finding the bears and the protection of your offspring. All you need to do is film. Sounds easy, eh??:-D

SSS

greybark
04-27-2014, 07:45 PM
Hey SSS ans SsS , congratulations on a super hunt . There is so much on the video and ALL of it was so correct . One of the best hunt videos on here .
Again well done !!!!
Cheers

BCHunterTV
04-27-2014, 08:03 PM
wow congrats guys!

bighornbob
04-27-2014, 08:55 PM
Great job guys. SsS good shooting too bad the old man flinched when you shot or the video would have been perfect:) Also by the way he was breathing climbing the hill i was worried he might have a heart attack trying to keep up with you. You have come along way since you started shooting rabbits. Keep up the good shooting.

BHB

todbartell
04-27-2014, 09:06 PM
Enjoyed it, thx for sharing

Chiron
04-27-2014, 09:22 PM
Awesome. Great video, thanks for sharing!

BCbillies
04-27-2014, 09:38 PM
The excitement/passion during the stalk was very well captured in video. SsS knows about making the most out of the opportunities presented . . . will bode well for future sheep hunts.

It's a tough pill to swallow when our young start to outperform us! ;) Kudos to both of you on a great hunt and bear.

guywitha270
04-27-2014, 09:55 PM
"I bet there's a pecker." Priceless! Congrats to you both!!

barry1974w
04-27-2014, 10:39 PM
Awesome. My son just turned four, I can't wait.

Bear Chaser
04-27-2014, 11:21 PM
Congratulations to both of you. Looks like it was a very exciting hunt and no doubt hard to film while worrying about setting up for a perfect shot.

Well done.

Foxtail
04-28-2014, 05:25 AM
I can't wait until my monkeys are old enough for me to pass on some of my knowledge.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
04-28-2014, 05:52 AM
Congrats on a awesome bear great team work!!!

paw325
04-28-2014, 06:59 AM
good job SSS, tell the girl well done also

Stone Sheep Steve
04-28-2014, 09:06 AM
Great job guys. SsS good shooting too bad the old man flinched when you shot or the video would have been perfect:) Also by the way he was breathing climbing the hill i was worried he might have a heart attack trying to keep up with you.
BHB

Haha. Would have loved to have been filming over your shoulder last September during the 'recovery'.
I huff and puff on all my bear stalks. Just ask GG. When I was hiking after Beer Belly, I had a mike with 'vox' and that's all he heard for 2 hrs:-D.

\It's a tough pill to swallow when our young start to outperform us! ;) Kudos to both of you on a great hunt and bear.

That will be an easy pill for me.....especially, when down the road, SsS is packing out my animals:-D.

The boar isn't exactly 'chocolate' but 'Easter Butterscotch' just didn't have the same ring.

SSS

BigfishCanada
04-28-2014, 09:48 AM
Best video I have seen in awhile, thanks for sharing

markomoose
04-28-2014, 10:08 AM
Real nice bear.Great video !I was getting pumped SSS cause you were saying shoot and the shot was later than expected!Awesome day on the mountain!Congrats to the young Lady!

Elkhound
04-28-2014, 12:46 PM
Great job to you both. I hope thats me and my daughter this spring as well.

Deaddog
04-29-2014, 06:19 AM
great job, both on the hunt as well as being a great dad! congrats to both of you

Bighorn hunter
04-29-2014, 06:29 AM
Absolutely awesome:)!! Huge congrats to you both

bh

MacMtnHunter
04-29-2014, 09:00 AM
That's awesome! Cool to get that all on film! Congrats on a really nice bruin :)

Stone Sheep Steve
04-29-2014, 09:03 AM
Thanks!
I'm still glowing with pride. People at work must think I'm on meds or something with this stupid smile on my face all the time.

Oh...and guess who's asking to go bear hunting again???:-D

SSS

bighornbob
04-29-2014, 10:14 AM
Oh...and guess who's asking to go bear hunting again???:-D

SSS

Plan a weekend out to Region 3, will meet you guys at "The Meadow"

BHB

Stone Sheep Steve
04-29-2014, 10:24 AM
Plan a weekend out to Region 3, will meet you guys at "The Meadow"

BHB

That would be fun but, unfortunately, with soccer games on Saturday afternoon, this won't be possible.

That's too bad as I know SsS would love to help you with your first bear.:mrgreen:

budismyhorse
04-29-2014, 11:07 AM
great job SSS and SsS!

That video is very cool and a very honest report of hunting with young hunters. .........She's a killer!

and before long she'll be running the show out there by the sound of it ;)

congrats to both!

whitetailsheds
04-29-2014, 12:48 PM
Very nice Brent!!! Love it!! You have provided a bit of a kick in the butt for me to put something together in regards to my middle daughter. She has been hunting now 3 years, and a black bear was her first critter. Would have a nice little story for here. Haven't been on much lately........this is so nice to see!! Congrats to you both!!!! And I hear you about my own success each hunting season......means much more to be out with Abbey, and filling her tags. Of which, I'll say it's been her that has filled the freezer with elk meat the last 2 years!!

ThinAir
04-29-2014, 01:10 PM
Wow that was awesome!! Congrats to both of you!
My daughter just turned 1 , so I've gotta wait a few more years:)

bighornbob
04-29-2014, 01:21 PM
That would be fun but, unfortunately, with soccer games on Saturday afternoon, this won't be possible.

That's too bad as I know SsS would love to help you with your first bear.:mrgreen:
I was going to make a smart ass comment, but I guess she is one bear up on me. So I guess I will have to come down there and get her to take me out. I guess I have to drive:mrgreen:

luckofthedraw
04-29-2014, 01:47 PM
Congrats on the great bear. Cant get much better than a father/daughter sucsessful hunt...and caught on video to boot. Nice job to both of you!

Steeleco
04-29-2014, 02:37 PM
Spectacular going guys, that second bear is lucky you didn't have more time and a second tag. Well done.

BCrams
04-29-2014, 03:59 PM
I couldn't tell who had 'bear' fever the worst, the shaky cameraman or SsS!! (btw - Mya was pretty stoked to see you get that bear ... she's asking when she can start)

Congrats on a great hunt!

beeker
04-29-2014, 07:23 PM
Congrats to both of you!

Thanks for sharing the video too. Awesome!

HarryToolips
04-29-2014, 08:12 PM
Way to go SSS and SsS!!!! I'm surprised you found a couple out already,,I've found zero fresh sign as of yet....

Stone Sheep Steve
04-29-2014, 08:53 PM
Very nice Brent!!! Love it!! You have provided a bit of a kick in the butt for me to put something together in regards to my middle daughter. She has been hunting now 3 years, and a black bear was her first critter. Would have a nice little story for here. Haven't been on much lately........this is so nice to see!! Congrats to you both!!!! And I hear you about my own success each hunting season......means much more to be out with Abbey, and filling her tags. Of which, I'll say it's been her that has filled the freezer with elk meat the last 2 years!!
Please do that Grant! Would love to see some Abbey's videos!
This is the first time I've done any editing with my new camera. Glad I finally forced myself to get it done(Hard to believe I edited out the most shakey parts!LOL!)

Wow that was awesome!! Congrats to both of you!
My daughter just turned 1 , so I've gotta wait a few more years:)

The time will go by A LOT faster than you can imagine.

I couldn't tell who had 'bear' fever the worst, the shaky cameraman or SsS!! (btw - Mya was pretty stoked to see you get that bear ... she's asking when she can start)

Congrats on a great hunt!

I'm buying a 10 lb tripod...and guess who's pack it's going in to?? :-D

Way to go SSS and SsS!!!! I'm surprised you found a couple out already,,I've found zero fresh sign as of yet....

Even though there are less bears around in the early part of the season, I prefer to hunt blacks in April. Less green around and if you put in your time, you will find them in the same spots...year after year. Once it starts getting green in the timber the bears spend less time in openings like the one where SsS got her bear.

SSS

bcmulie
04-30-2014, 09:46 AM
Awesome thread, just awesome. Well done to both father and daughter!

Stone Sheep Steve
04-25-2024, 06:28 AM
It’s hard to believe this was 10 years ago today.
While I’ve been blessed to have had many incredible hunting moments in my life, this memory sits at the very top.

Miss you Jamie

SSS