PDA

View Full Version : A terrible fisherman needs some advice

CKvan
04-25-2014, 04:12 PM
So I've always been a bit of a fisher but not a very good one, and it's always been more of something to occupy some time when there is nothing else to do. I've never had much success since I was a kid, unless you count squaw fish. I need some advice on places to go to get some confidence, lures and techniques to use, and gear I should consider.

I will be shore casting pretty much exclusively, and I'm much more inclined towards spinning than fly-fishing.

russm
04-25-2014, 05:05 PM
What are you shore fishing for? Techniques/gear is going to be pretty different if you're fishing lakes for trout or rivers for salmon....

aggiehunter
04-25-2014, 07:09 PM
a lake...with fish..go...

Amphibious
04-25-2014, 07:56 PM
Take any spoon, spinner, or jig and toss it around a rocky shoreline with Kelp. You will catch a fish.

keoke
04-25-2014, 09:18 PM
Buy a copy of Fishing BC Lower Mainland. It will give you info on local lakes with depth charts. From the maps you can pick areas with shoals and drop offs with in reach of casting. For tackle you can try bottom fishing with a floating bait IE: Berkly trout nuggets. This works best with sandy/muddy lake beds. For fishing the edge of weed beds/structures (sunken trees) your better of with spoons and spinners like said above. You can also try float fishing with bait with in these structures as well. Good luck! One tip My grandfather taught me was presentation. If it doesn't look like you would eat it why should a fish! keep the bait looking good and trim off extra line.

markomoose
04-25-2014, 09:51 PM
Talk to Fisher-Dude he has all the answers??

hoochie
05-07-2014, 01:49 PM
a trick for trout:
take a piece of pencil lead and run your main line through it, then tie the line to a swivel. Don't pinch the lead, just let it slide. then tie your leader to the other end of the swivel. Put a big fat half of a dew worm on it and give it a toss into the lake. reel in the line a bit so your rod and line tighten up ( when in a rod holder or what have you). the fish will come by and be able to pick up the worm and hook and as they swim off it sets the hook quite nicely. sit there and watch your tip. be close by for when it goes nuts!
or in a stream, use weeding bands with red beads and a chunk of worm. just hold it in the current near some logs and the magic will happen.