PDA

View Full Version : Black bear guide recommendation

kmirsaeidi
04-25-2014, 03:37 PM
Hello all,

I moved back to BC a couple of years ago after being away for several years, I have been too busy to hit the bush since, but I did manage to get all my paperwork in order. I've hunted black bears before back east, thought I'd try it this spring here for the first time. I'm looking for local guides (lower mainland or the island). I can't afford the $$$$ rates charged by some on of the more international guides that cater to the American fellas, but back east I had this guy that would charge me a few hundred bucks and let me hunt his stands for a few days every season, I usually ended up with a decent bear (I know we can't bait them here, so I guess I'd need to pay a bit more for the guy to take me for a hike).

Can any of you help by recommending someone? Or do any of you do that?

Cheers,
Kay

monasheemountainman
04-25-2014, 03:41 PM
oh man, im gonna leave that alone, and just say welcome back to BC. there are more b-bears in this province than in the rest of the world combined. you don't need a guide just get out in the bush and get one. put the $ towards gear, fuel, taxidermy and butchering if you need that. get a copy of the regs, and a backroads map book. watch out for cubs, and have fun.

good luck

1/2 slam
04-25-2014, 03:46 PM
You clearly don't understand the guiding situation here in BC. It won't be cheap.

Amphibious
04-25-2014, 03:56 PM
Black bear is probably the easiest big game in BC to hunt if you're not picky on size. do some searches on this forum, all your questions will be answered. Save your money :)

dakoda62
04-25-2014, 04:32 PM
Head for the north island. Find a logging road, glass, point and shoot.

vortex hunter
04-25-2014, 05:01 PM
:frown: lots of places to go Kay . Just go for a drive in the back 40"s

Fella
04-25-2014, 06:12 PM
Yup there's a reason many a bc hunters first big game animal is a black bear!

bruin
04-25-2014, 08:52 PM
Where do you live?

r106
04-25-2014, 09:43 PM
Where do you live?

X2. Lets us know what region you live in and some people here might point you in the right direction and save you thousands of $. A guided hunt would be sweet but not for BB in BC. To easy to do on your own.

olympia
04-25-2014, 10:54 PM
X2. Lets us know what region you live in and some people here might point you in the right direction and save you thousands of $. A guided hunt would be sweet but not for BB in BC. To easy to do on your own.i live in surrey and would like to check out between Ashcroft and Merritt any suggestions?

Steeleco
04-25-2014, 10:57 PM
Simply drive to a south facing green slope and go for a walk. If you find crap on the roads your close. Keep looking till you find the donator!!

Steeleco
04-25-2014, 10:59 PM
i live in surrey and would like to check out between Ashcroft and Merritt any suggestions? The Coq is your friend. When the snow is all gone. Easy country to navigate with more turn offs and logging roads then even a retired guy has time for!

lip_ripper00
04-25-2014, 11:37 PM
i live in surrey and would like to check out between Ashcroft and Merritt any suggestions?

I'm looking at one right now...just outside Mission, you want this dirty, pampers stealing pig he's yours! send me a PM

quadrakid
04-26-2014, 05:58 AM
I,m sure your a fine upstanding citizen but your original question makes it sound like you just want to throw a little cash at someone to help you get a bear.Guides are not cheap and a regular hunter can,t accept cash to help you,that would be illegal.Getting a bear in bc is like going out and shooting a woodchuck in Ontario,guides not needed.

Papa Sasquatch
04-26-2014, 06:05 AM
Welcome back to the best place on Earth.

Barracuda
04-26-2014, 08:29 AM
Hello all,

I moved back to BC a couple of years ago after being away for several years, I have been too busy to hit the bush since, but I did manage to get all my paperwork in order. I've hunted black bears before back east, thought I'd try it this spring here for the first time. I'm looking for local illegal guides (lower mainland or the island). I can't afford the $$$$ rates charged by some of the legal international guides that cater to the American fellas, but back east I had this guy that would charge me a few hundred bucks and let me hunt his stands for a few days every season, I usually ended up with a decent bear (I know we can't bait them here, so I guess I'd need to pay a bit more for the guy to take me for a hike).

Can any of you help by recommending someone? Or do any of you do that?

Cheers,
Kay

what you are asking for is is considered an illegal guide in bc.

fixed it for ya:twisted:

HarryToolips
04-26-2014, 09:37 AM
As said before, go find grassy, south facing slopes, plus old roads with lots of dandelion...bear poop = bears around have fun...

panhead
04-26-2014, 09:44 AM
Best thing is just to go up country on a trout fishing trip ... always see them. Come home with fin and fur.

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

The beatings will continue until morale improves…

kmirsaeidi
04-26-2014, 09:54 AM
Thanks everyone, I will try it on my own then. I live in Vancouver, but I don mind the drive. From reading the forum, I understand beyond Squamish and beyond Hope are probably where I'd start looking for these logging road. I remember quite a few in Harrison when were camping there last summer.

emerson
04-26-2014, 11:49 AM
Get the BC Backroad Mapbook of the area you will be in. First hour of light, last couple of hours of light drive logging roads where the shoulders are just greening up. Go far enough out that there are not many other vehicles. Don't sleep in. Hunting is important, sleep a distant second. Make it a 2-3 day trip. Buy 2 tags. When you see one pull over, stop, and shut down a fast as you can. If the bear runs in the bush it will be back out on the road over the hill or around the corner, so walk a bit so you can see it. Try to keep the wind across or in your face. People slag road hunters, but what I have described is the highest percentage hunt in BC. Most men won't take nuns on dates and expect the "full meal deal" the first night, but will sit on one decent green spot/walk bush for days while road hunters will stalk 1/2 dozen bears a day. Do you want success, or a struggle to brag about?

blaine
04-26-2014, 03:44 PM
How is retirement ?

BiG Boar
04-26-2014, 04:16 PM
what you are asking for is is considered an illegal guide in bc.

fixed it for ya:twisted:

Not illegal at all. Some areas probably don't even get hunted for black bears. Asking for a reasonably priced guide isn't illegal.

Chopper
04-26-2014, 05:34 PM
delete delete

Barracuda
04-26-2014, 05:41 PM
Perhaps I jumped the gun a bit cause at first glance it seemed like he is looking for a local yokel to take him out to his personal honey hole for a couple of bucks .

As long as he is looking for a licensed guide its legal but asking joe schmo to take you out for a hike looking for bear and paying him a few hundred bucks to do so is if he isn't licensed lands everybody in sticky stuff .

kay if your interested in some guides here is a link but seeing as you are a resident in probably the best place in the world to hunt black bears I would save your pennies and give it a go, find a buddy or join a F&G club or even go to a meet and greet and im sure someone will go hunting bear with you.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/lower-mainland/wildlife/recreation/guide_outfitters.htm

BiG Boar
04-27-2014, 12:11 AM
If you can't kill a black bear in BC, turn the gun on yourself or at least go get a vasectomy. Just sayin

I was there once too though, so I understand your situation. But they are the easiest thing to kill in BC. Drive pretty much any logging road in BC may 15- June 15, you'll kill one.

kmirsaeidi
04-29-2014, 11:54 AM
I dunno about the vasectomy, but if I can't kill one, I'll think about looking down the barrel ... jk :)

If you can't kill a black bear in BC, turn the gun on yourself or at least go get a vasectomy. Just sayin

I was there once too though, so I understand your situation. But they are the easiest thing to kill in BC. Drive pretty much any logging road in BC may 15- June 15, you'll kill one.

BRvalley
04-29-2014, 12:41 PM
how can I become a keyboard lawyer too? is it easier than a real lawyer, big pay???? lol

if you're ever in the peace region, I'd be happy to make a new friend and go hunting together, keep your cash for other stuff...I was new to BC 5 years ago, I know the feeling, but it's not hard at all, just put miles under your boots

kmirsaeidi
04-29-2014, 01:03 PM
cheers to you mate, that's what it's all about, making new friends and putting some miles under the boots.

how can I become a keyboard lawyer too? is it easier than a real lawyer, big pay???? lol

if you're ever in the peace region, I'd be happy to make a new friend and go hunting together, keep your cash for other stuff...I was new to BC 5 years ago, I know the feeling, but it's not hard at all, just put miles under your boots

trapperRick
05-01-2014, 11:25 PM
Do not waste your money, drive away from the city get out walk glass point shoot straight