PDA

View Full Version : New to kelowna area....where to hunt???!!!

djschnitz1
04-24-2014, 10:27 PM
Hi I'm a bow hunter from Alberta relocating in the west kelowna area. Region 8-11,8-21 , Fintry to be more exact. I'm wondering if I'm able to hunt in the terrace mountain area as it will be my backyard. I've seen alot of mule and black bear up there, wold be great as location is perfect!! Any info would really help me out!!!! Thanks alot all!

bearhunter338-06
04-24-2014, 10:33 PM
Look in your back yard. Pick up a map book for your area, you have lots of places to go.

djschnitz1
04-24-2014, 11:14 PM
Thanks bear hunter! Also what kind of game has been seen up there?!

GoatGuy
04-25-2014, 06:31 AM
Lots of critters around there. Moose, mule deer, white-tails, bears, californian bighorns (closed) and the odd wolf too. Plenty of lakes to fish as well.

Amphibious
04-25-2014, 06:41 AM
Gillard Road. Seriously, you'll know it's good when you see the 10,000 other local "hunters".

Bear Creek, Terrace Mtn, and Penask Lake are close to you, have lots of game, but all get LOTS of pressure. Get off the roads and keep your sanity. You won't get hit with as many Bone Beer cans being tossed out of truck windows either.

GoatGuy
04-25-2014, 06:47 AM
Gillard Road. Seriously, you'll know it's good when you see the 10,000 other local "hunters".

Bear Creek, Terrace Mtn, and Penask Lake are close to you, have lots of game, but all get LOTS of pressure. Get off the roads and keep your sanity. You won't get hit with as many Bone Beer cans being tossed out of truck windows either.

Rotary seagulls, always squawking about something. :-D

monasheemountainman
04-25-2014, 06:48 AM
Welcome to this part of the world! Some great mule deer hunting right where your at. Some pockets of whitetail and quite a few moose. However for moose you have to get a real tough leh tag or find the elusive 2 point bull. Tonnes of bears in that area too. Try whiteman cr fsr and as mentioned hop out of the truck and go for some hikes!

Amphibious
04-25-2014, 07:36 AM
If you're headed to the Whiteman, and from 'Berta, Please remember the yellow lines on Westside Road ARE NOT A SUGGESTION. We've already had two riders killed this year on Westside when the driver cut the corner. Disturbing amount of red and white plates on westside not taking corners every year. I'm on a motorcycle on Westside everyday, please don't kill me.

Whiteman from Westside is impassable until mid/late may usually, lots of snow in the dark switchbacks.

monasheemountainman
04-25-2014, 08:15 AM
Ya people drive like dicks on that road. Not just Albertans lots of locals do too. Careful on your bike there amphibious

Amphibious
04-25-2014, 08:38 AM
Ya people drive like dicks on that road. Not just Albertans lots of locals do too. Careful on your bike there amphibious

I live just off Westside, Fact of life unfortunately. Ordered a helmet cam this year. I foresee many a film getting sent to the RCMP.

monasheemountainman
04-25-2014, 10:00 AM
yeah I grew up on bear cr rd, so I know westside rd like the back of my hand. its a bad one, too bad for all the shitty drivers cuz it is a fun road to ride on.

HarryToolips
04-25-2014, 08:26 PM
Lots of critters around there. Moose, mule deer, white-tails, bears, californian bighorns (closed) and the odd wolf too. Plenty of lakes to fish as well.

He's right..tonnes of lakes, just like pretty much anywhere in BC..and yes, the bears, mulies and moose you can find pretty much everywhere..decent amount of whities around in pockets as well..like they said, pickup a map book and head out...and just to help you out on the right foot: Terrace mtn area is great, scout hard around dio via lake/christy lake and christie main, a nice big bog land is there, lots of good critters..another good area way up the whiteman fsr is beautiful lake, all the creatures (seen the biggest black bear in my life near there)..sucker lake great fishin....

monasheemountainman
04-25-2014, 08:43 PM
Ok Harry we gave him enough now lol

knockturnal
04-26-2014, 09:30 AM
Shoot me a pm when you have the chance. I've been hunting and fishing over there for the past 20 sum odd years.

djschnitz1
04-30-2014, 09:42 PM
Amphibious, thats alot for the good words. My parents have owned at lacasa for 10+years.. I know the brutal and ugly facts about dirty ol' westside road and respect it dearly. Hopefully we can get out and toss a few arrows sometime, or get out on the water.. I how also hoping to do some volunteer work with the westside fire dept. As I know there Always looking. Stay safe

djschnitz1
04-30-2014, 09:45 PM
Same thing monasheemountainman! Id love to get out! Stay safe!