PDA

View Full Version : 60 mm vs. 80 mm

BearStump
04-24-2014, 12:05 PM
Ok, so after 15 years of hunting and dealing with garbage optics, due to higher priorities in life, I am finally going to buy a new spotter and new bino's. Unfortunately I wont be spending 5K on a new matching set of Swaro's but after reading reviews for the last 2 days I'm pretty sure that I'm going to buy a matching set of Vortex Diamondback. The 20-60X60mm spotter and the 10X42 Bino's. Not really intersested in a debate about brands or guys telling me to save more money and buy better ones.

I know that the difference between the 60mm and the 80mm is the amount of light transmission. But can anyone explain to me in leymans terms what that means to me? Will that 20mm be the difference between counting tines on an elk at 6 am from 1000 yds or is it the difference between deciphering if its a cow or a bull?

The 80 mm is 1 lb heavier and a bit bulkier. Is the 60 mm more than adequate?

BiG Boar
04-24-2014, 12:33 PM
Its only going to make a critical difference in low light situations. Thats it. Bottom line. One won't see better during the day if they're the same magnification. Bigger tube means more light transmitted. That being said, the glass quality will determine being able to count tines or rings at distance.

BCBRAD
04-24-2014, 02:35 PM
Its only going to make a critical difference in low light situations. Thats it. Bottom line. One won't see better during the day if they're the same magnification. Bigger tube means more light transmitted. That being said, the glass quality will determine being able to count tines or rings at distance.

I had a spotter that went to 60X many years ago, rarely used the full range with any success. I have a Vortex 15x45x 65mm now and generally use it in the 20-25X range, glass seems very good at these lower power settings, images are sharp and clear, at 45X less so but not to bad. As the power level goes up so must the quality of the glass if that extra power will be any use to you.

BearStump
04-24-2014, 06:46 PM
that helps a bit. I dont expect crystal clear images at 60x zoom from a $ 4-500 diamondback. but it would be nice to be able to tell if there was any mature bucks in a group of mulies at 1500 yds or so.does anyone have one of these spotters?

BiG Boar
04-27-2014, 12:14 AM
No........

Weatherby Fan
04-27-2014, 07:27 AM
that helps a bit. I dont expect crystal clear images at 60x zoom from a $ 4-500 diamondback. but it would be nice to be able to tell if there was any mature bucks in a group of mulies at 1500 yds or so.does anyone have one of these spotters?

I would talk to todbartell as he sells them and uses them, from what I hear about them you would be better served by the Vortex Viper HD line, of course its more money but you get better optics !

Hammerhead
04-27-2014, 07:43 AM
I have the Nomad in the power your asking about and I believe the Diamondback replaced the Nomad (not 100% sure). As said above using it at the lower powers it's okay but turn it up past 40 and it gets distorted to the point that you really struggle to count points or get a good look at curl forcing you to move closer and kind of defeats the purpose. As to how much better the 80 will be over the 60 in low light there has to be some difference but you again will be limited at the higher power. Trying to answer your question but giving my opinion because I have a very similar product to what you are looking at. When mine gets dropped on the rocks I will be up grading!!
Hope this helps
HH

BearStump
04-27-2014, 08:12 AM
sure that helps hammerhead. and yes the diamondback is the new version of the nomad. virtually the same scope.
so if i go into this purchase with the thougt that what I am really buying is a 20-45x zoom with alittle extra, then I shouldn't be disappointed with what I get. Like I said, I dont expect crystal clear at 60x zoom on a $400 spotter.
I checked out that cameralandny site and for$550 I can get the 10x42 bino's and 20-60x60 spotting scope. Now I'm definately sold. just waiting for payday.

r106
04-27-2014, 08:39 AM
sure that helps hammerhead. and yes the diamondback is the new version of the nomad. virtually the same scope.
so if i go into this purchase with the thougt that what I am really buying is a 20-45x zoom with alittle extra, then I shouldn't be disappointed with what I get. Like I said, I dont expect crystal clear at 60x zoom on a $400 spotter.
I checked out that cameralandny site and for$550 I can get the 10x42 bino's and 20-60x60 spotting scope. Now I'm definately sold. just waiting for payday.

My dad has the Nomad and it's good @ 20x, okay @30-40, garbage at anything over that. IMHO you can't even use the scope at 60x. I used my dads Nomad 2 years ago and spotted a group of deer around a 1500 yards away maybe a bit further. I could just barely tell one was a buck.

Last year I went out and bought a Vortex Viper ( not HD ) spotting scope 20-60x80 and counted the tines on my buck last year from about a 1000 yards no problem. You loose a bit of clarity at 60x on them but still very usable to count tines. If I were to do it again I would probably get the same scope in 15-45x60 for the more compact lighter weight.

IMHO Vortex is a decent brand but the only model's I would get would be the Viper or Razor.