PDA

View Full Version : Shared Moose Hunts

Rob Chipman
04-23-2014, 09:22 PM
Yeah, I know there's an "Ask Your LEH Questions Here" thread, but jeez, it's got 58 pages of stuff.

I'm curious if I'm reading this correctly.

If a buddy and I put in individual draws for moose we've both got a chance to get a moose. If we're going together anyway that's half a moose each (moose gods be willing). We have to hunt together and we don't share the tag, but that's not a huge deal. If we get lucky (really lucky) we could both get drawn.

If we put in together as a shared hunt we still have two chances, but if one is drawn the other gets pulled out. Half a moose each, but we share the tag. That seems pretty close to a wash to me.

If we've got three guys then it seems worth it to go shared hunt - one guy gets drawn we get two moose tags. Good deal.

That's all assuming odds like 10:1. I think if we were in a 1:1 area it's probably better to go in as individuals.

Now, I got a moose draw three years ago. Regs say I've got 3 years of 66% reduced chances, so I'm in my last year of purgatory.

Two of my buddies got the draw last year (shared hunt) so they're 66% reduced odds for the next three years.

If we go into a shared hunt with guys who haven't been drawn we reduce their odds as well (if I'm reading the regs right).

So, there's 5 of us. Me, with a draw 3 years ago, 2 with a draw last year, and 2 who haven't been drawn.

The odds where we're putting in are about 10:1.

It seems to me we should all put in as individuals. There's really not much odds putting in in any combination of shared hunt. (Immys are open at the same time and there's always deer, so the draw isn't critical).

Am I understanding the shared hunt dynamic correctly? Unless you've got three guys going in with relatively high odds it seems better to go as individuals. Also, if you put in shared hunt and get drawn, all group members are reduced odds for the next 3 years.

Am I missing something obvious?

boxhitch
04-24-2014, 06:55 AM
Looks like you have the right strategy going there , though I have heard of guys with reduced odds getting their permits , just to muddy it a bit for you )

r106
04-24-2014, 07:01 AM
I would go the three that have been drawn before go together as a group. Then the two that haven't go as a group. The only reason I suggest the 2 go as a group is it will allow you guy's to split up and increase your chances at harvesting.

Wagonmaster
04-24-2014, 07:13 PM
Our group has decided that individual applications are the way to go. If 3 guys go in a shared hunt and one is successful, all three have reduced odds for the next three years. Too high a price to pay.

Drillbit
04-24-2014, 08:16 PM
Reduced odds?

I don't buy that.

I know people that get the same draw year after year it seems, The same draw I've applied for,for 15+ years now and haven't ever been drawn.

It's either very random and some people are very lucky, or the results are manipulated.

HarryToolips
04-24-2014, 08:40 PM
I would go the three that have been drawn before go together as a group. Then the two that haven't go as a group. The only reason I suggest the 2 go as a group is it will allow you guy's to split up and increase your chances at harvesting.
Exactly what I was gonna say.......

ursusbait
04-24-2014, 09:03 PM
Sounds like you got it figured right to me.

Cordillera
04-26-2014, 05:54 AM
If you get drawn as individuals the buddies can pack meat but not hunt or pull the trigger. If you enter the shared hunt, everyone is hunting until your tags are cut. If you all have the same level of reduced odds (ie no reduction, or 33 or 66 percent)' then the shared hunt is the same odds and more effective. More hunters to connect with the animals.

j270wsm
04-26-2014, 10:00 AM
I phoned a few years ago and asked how they actually reduce your odds. I was told, when your leh cards are entered, the computer assigns a random 6digit number( all people that have been drawn for shared hunts are put in a separate pool ). The computer then gives the lowest 6digit numbers the draw until all tags are gone. For shared hunts, the computer picks the lowest number then skips the next 2. So the ones that get picked would be 1, 4 , 7 , 10, 13, 16 and so on.

Mishka
04-26-2014, 10:21 AM
If you get drawn as individuals the buddies can pack meat but not hunt or pull the trigger. If you enter the shared hunt, everyone is hunting until your tags are cut. If you all have the same level of reduced odds (ie no reduction, or 33 or 66 percent)' then the shared hunt is the same odds and more effective. More hunters to connect with the animals.

I think this is the biggest benefit to the shared moose hunt. Everyone in the group has the opportunity to hunt and shoot until a moose is taken. And when it says you must hunt together, it doesn't mean shoulder to shoulder. You just need to be able to communicate with each other.

Brett
04-26-2014, 03:38 PM
i would do this.....10:1! 715 is that high cause it's so close too town, if your coming up on a "trip" spend a week an hour out of town where the odds are better and it's more like real hunting trip ;p

Everett
04-26-2014, 04:07 PM
I as well doubt the reduced odds stuff I have drawn moose 7 out the last 10 years twice in region 4 in high odds hunts. We always enter 4 numbers in the shared hunt and it seems to be working for us.

westsoldier
04-30-2014, 10:41 AM
I agree with you Drillbit,

I like the part where it says:
However, if you were successful in receiving an authorization for any species except antlerless deer, your odds will be reduced. For Elk inRegions 1 or 2 and for Moose anywhere in the province, your odds are reduced by 66% for 3 years after being successful. For any other species (except Deer) your odds are reducedby 50% for one year only. This is called ‘enhanced odds’ and it reduces the number of people who receive authorizations repeatedly.

hunter fisher
04-30-2014, 10:06 PM
get your wife to get her CORE and hunting license, and then put her in a group draw with the other 2 guys who haven't drawn a moose in 3 years. or just ask a buddy who doesnt hunt moose if you can put him in the draw