PDA

View Full Version : Moving to BC, need advice!

alargerodent
04-23-2014, 08:47 PM
Hello all I currently live in manitoba but will be in the Langley area early may. I hunt whitetail deer, ducks, geese, grouse, and just started black bear. I have no idea where or what I can hunt out in BC but can't wait to get out there! Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Kudu
04-23-2014, 08:53 PM
Hello all I currently live in manitoba but will be in the Langley area early may. I hunt whitetail deer, ducks, geese, grouse, and just started black bear. I have no idea where or what I can hunt out in BC but can't wait to get out there! Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Best Read the BC hunting regs - understand the bit about about being a BC resident hunter (available online)

Start with the core course - that will tell you what you can hunt in BC.

Then buy back road books and spend a small fortune on gas - that will tell you where to hunt in BC......

Good luck with your move!

Mauser98
04-23-2014, 08:59 PM

Thanks!

If you have your Manitoba hunter safety card, you may not have to take our CORE course.

But there won't be hunting for you this fall. We have a 6 month residency require for big game.

Kami
04-23-2014, 09:07 PM
From Langley figure on regular trips to the area known as "Beyond Hope". Until you are legal to hunt, start with some scouting trips.
If you are lucky maybe your work schedule is flexible, or maybe you're retired? Nothing worse it seems when it's long weekend and
you are trying to get home from or travelling to the interior of BC. Do you have massive traffic jams in Manitoba? Hunting in BC is great,
but be prepared to spend a ton on gas as mentioned. A ton.

r106
04-23-2014, 09:20 PM
From Langley you are at least an hour from Blacktail and Black Bear hunting about 2.5-3 hours from good mulies and whitetail.

If you get here at the beginning of May you should be legally aloud to hunt by Nov. Perfect for the rut

.330 Dakota
04-23-2014, 09:53 PM
BC does stand for Bring Cash,,,,found that out 8 years ago when I moved in from Northern Ont,,,however its worth the price,,lots of great people,,awesome hunting,,awesome fishing,,,awesome scenery

MB_Boy
04-23-2014, 10:25 PM
If you have your Manitoba hunter safety card, you may not have to take your CORE course.

That is true. Your card is valid to get a number in BC.....that I can guarantee. :wink:

I should add....you'll love it out here. Although I head back to hunt muzzleloader whiteys with my Dad...this province is beautiful! 19 years and loving it!!!

Mulehahn
04-23-2014, 10:34 PM
You probably won't get into bear, but early may puts you eligible for the muley rut in November. Plus you will get some duck and geese hunting in.

andrewscag
04-23-2014, 11:17 PM
There's a good duck/goose hunting a lot closer than big game if you need to stick close to town for a while after your move.

.330 Dakota
04-24-2014, 07:28 AM
That is true. Your card is valid to get a number in BC.....that I can guarantee. :wink:

I should add....you'll love it out here. Although I head back to hunt muzzleloader whiteys with my Dad...this province is beautiful! 19 years and loving it!!!

I tried that with my Ont card, and they made me get a letter from Ont fish and game that stated I had at some point taken a CORE type program. They wouldnt accept the card as proof, even though you cant get a card without the course or test at some point,,,

itsy bitsy xj
04-24-2014, 08:42 AM
What prt of Langley are you moving to? There is hunting closer than 1 1/2 hour away but not the good stuff.

Philcott
04-24-2014, 09:04 AM
Even if you can use your Manitoba card you might find taking the CORE course a good thing to take. Obviously there are different laws covering hunting in BC than your home province. Although you can get that info from the regs a quick look on the forum will show you that the regs don't always spell things out clearly. Also taking the course might help the 6 month waiting period pass a little quicker.

Either way start looking at the map and start planning to enjoy all the BC has to offer in the way of hunting and bring gas money.

Everett
04-24-2014, 09:13 AM
You need to resident for 6 months for big game unless your RCMP or Military than its 30 days. Your Manitoba card is good to get a BC hunter #.

hare_assassin
04-24-2014, 09:37 AM
I tried that with my Ont card, and they made me get a letter from Ont fish and game that stated I had at some point taken a CORE type program. They wouldnt accept the card as proof, even though you cant get a card without the course or test at some point,,,

That's odd, because they took my card, no questions asked.

igojuone
04-24-2014, 09:38 AM
If you have your Manitoba hunter safety card, you may not have to take our CORE course.

But there won't be hunting for you this fall. We have a 6 month residency require for big game.

Well you could hunt this fall depending on where you decide to hunt. Sounds like you'll be eligible in early November so depending on how and where you hunt. You'll have most of November and region 8 has some late season December bow hunts available for both Mule(early December) and Whitetail deer most of December. There may be other choices but I'm not familiar with all the regs.

BearStump
04-24-2014, 09:52 AM
That's odd, because they took my card, no questions asked.\
Ya I think it depends on who's working the counter that day. I have a friend that moved here from Nova scotia and within 2 weeks of moving, he just went down to the govt. office and showed them his NS card and was issueed a BC hunter number right away. They didn't even ask how long he'd been here or any of that crap.

hare_assassin
04-24-2014, 10:23 AM
\
Ya I think it depends on who's working the counter that day. I have a friend that moved here from Nova scotia and within 2 weeks of moving, he just went down to the govt. office and showed them his NS card and was issueed a BC hunter number right away. They didn't even ask how long he'd been here or any of that crap.

It's a good thing we have standards, otherwise there'd be no sense to anything. ;)

alargerodent
04-24-2014, 10:39 AM
From Langley you are at least an hour from Blacktail and Black Bear hunting about 2.5-3 hours from good mulies and whitetail.

If you get here at the beginning of May you should be legally aloud to hunt by Nov. Perfect for the rut

thanks for all the replies so far! I do have my manitoba card and usually do drive a couple hours for a good hunt anyways so don't mind doing that there. Didn't know about the 6 month wait but the way hunting has been here for the last couple seasons I don't mind the wait hopefully your deer population is higher!

hare_assassin
04-24-2014, 10:42 AM
thanks for all the replies so far! I do have my manitoba card and usually do drive a couple hours for a good hunt anyways so don't mind doing that there. Didn't know about the 6 month wait but the way hunting has been here for the last couple seasons I don't mind the wait hopefully your deer population is higher!

If you want to find lots of answers (and many more questions :) ) download the BC regs here: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/1214/docs/hunting_trapping_2012_2014.pdf

(right-click and "save as", for offline reading)

knighthunter
04-24-2014, 10:47 AM

I moved here from Manitoba and when I went in to get my hunter number with my Mb hunter safety, I was told they do not recognise Ontario & Alberta hunter safety.

hare_assassin
04-24-2014, 10:56 AM
I moved here from Manitoba and when I went in to get my hunter number with my Mb hunter safety, I was told they do not recognise Ontario & Alberta hunter safety.

That's horse shit.

They'll take anything in North America, according to the regs.

A Hunter Number Card may only be obtained by an applicant who produces a document issued by a province or state evidencing the successful completion of the CORE (Conservation and Outdoor Recreation Education) examinations in BC or another North American government sponsored hunter safety training program completed while a resident in that state or province.

MB_Boy
04-24-2014, 11:48 AM
That's horse shit.

Things may have changed from 18 years ago but I recall MB Hunter Safety being one of very few accepted.

BiG Boar
04-24-2014, 01:08 PM
hopefully your deer population is higher!

DEER? Who gives a rip about deer? There are 3 sheep on open season, goats, moose, elk, caribou, 20 something different waterfowl, 3 cats, 2 dogs. Buffalo, grizzly, dall and roosevelt elk are on draw, but don't bore yourself with the 4 deer species. Take advantage of the prime stuff you could never hunt over there. You are moving to literally the greatest place in the world to hunt, bar none.

.330 Dakota
04-24-2014, 05:12 PM
That's horse shit.

Thats right, it says that right in the BC regs,,,The issue I had was the card doesnt actually say that I took or passed a safety course. Once I had a letter faxed from the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources that stated I took the course back in 1978, then they accepted it...stupid thing is,,you cant get the Ont card without passing the safety test..

Kudu
04-24-2014, 05:52 PM
DEER? Who gives a rip about deer? There are 3 sheep on open season, goats, moose, elk, caribou, 20 something different waterfowl, 3 cats, 2 dogs. Buffalo, grizzly, dall and roosevelt elk are on draw, but don't bore yourself with the 4 deer species. Take advantage of the prime stuff you could never hunt over there. You are moving to literally the greatest place in the world to hunt, bar none.

Ha ha - nicely put Dave - very true though.

Everett
04-24-2014, 06:05 PM
Thats right, it says that right in the BC regs,,,The issue I had was the card doesnt actually say that I took or passed a safety course. Once I had a letter faxed from the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources that stated I took the course back in 1978, then they accepted it...stupid thing is,,you cant get the Ont card without passing the safety test..

Good point I have never taken the core but I have a BC hunter # so I guess the actual hunter # card doesn't prove anything.

Fred1
04-24-2014, 07:10 PM
The Okanagan sucks... Stupid heat, tons of huge mosquitos, long winters to -30 with 20-30 feet of snow and a massive July migration of greedy lake hogging dudes with lots of $$ and white and red license plates... Best to stay out of there....

Papa Sasquatch
04-24-2014, 08:20 PM
Thanks!
Either way, I would suggest you buy a copy of the BC CORE book latest edition and familiarise your self with our awesome fauna. It may not mention this in the book but Sasquatch are a protected specie, Don't shoot!

Hillbros_96
04-24-2014, 10:07 PM

They accept the Alberta Hunter education, what they don't accept is the Alberta WIN cards because they are used for fishing as well and do not require any training to get.

Redneck Rocket
04-24-2014, 10:35 PM
You should be okay as long as your card does show you took a safety course, or you have a certificate. I took my course with the Florida Fish & Wildlife Commission, got a hunter safety card and got issued a license when I came back to BC. Even at Service BC they weren't sure, but I can give you the email address of the licensing officer in Victoria who I spoke to, who confirmed that BC recognizes a number of equivalent Provincial & State courses and who can confirm that to a license issuing location.

aggiehunter
04-25-2014, 07:12 PM
from the land of plenty to land of many...sorry about your luck dude...

knighthunter
04-25-2014, 07:18 PM
They accept the Alberta Hunter education, what they don't accept is the Alberta WIN cards because they are used for fishing as well and do not require any training to get.

That was what the lady told me as I asked her as a friend from Nova Scotia was going to be getting his number after he had finished with his PAL. I just repeated what I was told.