PDA

View Full Version : Float trips

ratherbefishin
04-22-2014, 09:03 AM
I've been going up to the Swift river on the BC /Yukon border for float hunts for moose ,but its a long way to go[32 hours driving from the ferry],and last year was pretty crowded as everybody else had the same idea -to ''get away from the crowds''
I'm wondering if there are any alternatives,closer-maybe in the Peace River area.Some place where we could put in,camp, and do some hunting.We're not into trophy hunting,just a nice 3-4 year old would be excellent.Being on Vancouver Island precludes scouting ahead of time,so any general local knowlege would be greatly appreciated.

I've even considered buying bush acreage up there,something with a gas/oil lease income to provide some income ,its hard to justify laying out a lot of money for something I will only get 2 or 3 weeks use a year just for hunting,but some income would make it worth considering

Sitkaspruce
04-22-2014, 08:53 PM
I can look after your "Bush acreage" for you for the rest fo the year and it will not have to cost you a thing....:mrgreen:

My guess that most of the areas around here will be as crowded, as the area gets busy during moose/elk season.

Cheers

SS

albravo2
04-22-2014, 08:59 PM
I hear you. Sucks to drive that far and see camp after camp.

I have a fantasy of my own floatplane... would really be a drag to run into other hunters. Do you think that is because the float outfitter keeps hammering the same area?

The only thing I can say is the GOS in the rest of North America is way busier than it is here. And shorter, too.

leadpillproductions
04-22-2014, 10:34 PM
Sure is getting tougher to keep a spot all to your self, the floating has always been a good way to go just take more time hit all the swampy areas

ratherbefishin
04-23-2014, 07:36 AM
I'm not a road hunter,and I like to find some spot to camp and enjoy a few days with my boys-drifting a river can be good-unless you have jet boats running up and down the river you are trying to set up and call on[its like walking in early in the morning only to have an ATV blast right past you],may as well turn around and go back home.Buying your own property has its own challanges-its a lot of money to lay out for a couple of weeks a year hunting and vandalism is a factor if you put up a cabin,and theres no guarantee other people won;t the private property posting when you're not there .If I had such a property,I'd like to manage it for game,do a burn, let brouse come up-but again-being so far away is a challange

ryanb
04-23-2014, 09:05 AM
If you're willing to invest in property to get good hunting, surely you can afford a fly in to get away from the crowds.

ratherbefishin
04-23-2014, 03:13 PM
Even on a fly in,the biggest challange is knowing where to go...