PDA

View Full Version : Need to get a rifle bore sighted

itsy bitsy xj
04-21-2014, 10:07 AM
So I just bought a new pellet gun (1200 fps) it came with a cheepo scope that is so far out it not funny. So I'm just wondering if anyone in the Langley/Aldergrove area could or would be able to bore sight it for me?

I may just break down and go buy a sighter myself but I would prefer not to have to right now

Steeleco
04-21-2014, 10:11 AM
Walnut Grove has a guy that can do it LOL Besides it's his turn to return a favor!! When you need it done or will be in the hood?

itsy bitsy xj
04-21-2014, 10:13 AM
I'll be going into Langley this afternoon, are you around today?

Papa Sasquatch
04-21-2014, 11:08 AM
Robertson Smiting is out that way off 247th Street and Robertson Cr

Darksith
04-21-2014, 01:16 PM
they didn't do it at the store or it was online purchase?

bccanadian
04-21-2014, 02:39 PM
I have a bore sighter but I'm not free until the weekend.

adriaticum
04-21-2014, 03:08 PM
Turn your scope's turrets all the way to one end, then count the clicks to the other end. That way you can find the middle.
Set the scope to the middle on both turrets.
Shoot at a big piece of paper.

Blair
04-21-2014, 03:56 PM
I boresighted my rifle simply by removing the bolt and looking down the bore at a point about 50 yards away. Then I looked through the scope and adjusted the crosshairs to the same spot. It was pretty close and did not take much shooting to finish the job.

goatdancer
04-21-2014, 04:02 PM
I boresighted my rifle simply by removing the bolt and looking down the bore at a point about 50 yards away. Then I looked through the scope and adjusted the crosshairs to the same spot. It was pretty close and did not take much shooting to finish the job.

Doesn't work that way with a pellet gun.

Blair
04-21-2014, 04:09 PM
Doesn't work that way with a pellet gun.
Oh yeah, I guess that's right. I was only thinking of a rifle.

Steeleco
04-21-2014, 05:38 PM
Its all done, luckily it had a larger muzzle type end on it, my pins don't fit a .177!

itsy bitsy xj
04-21-2014, 06:26 PM
Yep all done and another big thank you to Mr Steeleco

Jagermeister
04-21-2014, 07:06 PM
Here's a link for you. You can follow the procedure in your basement, garage ect. Just make sure you have a good backstop
http://www.pyramydair.com/article/All_about_scopes_Part_3_April_2005/22

Drillbit
04-21-2014, 09:05 PM
Turn your scope's turrets all the way to one end, then count the clicks to the other end. That way you can find the middle.
Set the scope to the middle on both turrets.
Shoot at a big piece of paper.

I've found this to be more useful than bore-sighting. Start closer than you want it dialed in for too.

I see you got it done already, but from my experience, bore-sighters aren't worth a dime.

Steeleco
04-21-2014, 10:42 PM
That practice is good for "zeroing" your scope. To bore sight it you can remove the bolt as posted earlier or as in the case of actions that don't have removable bolts bore sighters are very efficient at getting you close. They're no guarantee that you'll be on target, only the range will test that, but you'll be on the paper at 100yds.

Jagermeister
04-22-2014, 12:00 AM
In the case of an air rifle, sighting in for a 100 yards is not really a feasible distance.
Although the OP states his air gun is rated 1200 fps, If he were to chronograph it he would be disappointed at the real velocity result, it probably will be less that 1000 fps. He maximum effective range may be 60 yards at most, probably more like 40 yards.
Projectile weight and form have a very large bearing on trajectory in air rifles.
Here is a link for trajectory calculator you can play with. It is essential that you know what your true muzzle velocity is.
http://www.airguns.net/trajectory.php.
Most pellet manufacturers do not bother to post ballistic coefficients for their pellet because they are so low its hard to determine so the one showing is adequate. The other thing you need to know and this should be bang on; the distance that the reticle is above the bore center.

Papa Sasquatch
04-22-2014, 05:34 PM
I haven't shot one of those in ages. I am sure technology has improved a great deal since then but still! How accurate can you expect to be with a Pellet gun?