PDA

View Full Version : Can I...

VancouverSkiBum
04-20-2014, 10:00 PM
Im flipping through the regs and cant seem to find an answer, without digging for too long... 1) Can I discharge guns at night, and 2) can i take a C class animal at night. it says no one shall hunt big or small game past one hour after sunset... but also says C class can be taken at ANY time. Are C class rabbits and the other C class animals considered small game? (I think yes?) Also says no lights for wildlife... so im guessing a no on the hunting part of it... Would just like to know for sure. Cheers. :wink:

Steeleco
04-21-2014, 08:40 AM
1= You can discharge guns at any time of day of night, it's not smart but it's doable. Discharging and hunting are two different things
2= NO

Weather the game is big game, small or Sched C shooting any of them after dark is illegal and unwise! I'm pretty sure the reference to "any time" is speaking to season, not time of day!

I'm not usually one to get in a members face, but this should all have been covered in your CORE. If it wasn't I'd be in their face wanting to know why not?

albravo2
04-21-2014, 08:50 AM
1=
I'm not usually one to get in a members face, but this should all have been covered in your CORE. If it wasn't I'd be in their face wanting to know why not?

Even if his instructor went over this topic, there is lots of info covered in CORE, nobody can be expected to retain it all. It is also legal and ethical to challenge the course, like I did, and this topic never came up.

This forum, especially the Newbie section, should be a place where we can all ask questions after we've done a bit of research and not be told we should already know the answer.

To take it one step further, I'd like to see a sub-forum where questions can be posed directly to a CO who has the authority to offer legally binding answers.

Gateholio
04-21-2014, 09:32 AM
Shooting at night is legal if done safely. Schedule C at night? I don't know. Never thought of it. :)

Gateholio
04-21-2014, 09:34 AM
Even if his instructor went over this topic, there is lots of info covered in CORE, nobody can be expected to retain it all. It is also legal and ethical to challenge the course, like I did, and this topic never came up.

This forum, especially the Newbie section, should be a place where we can all ask questions after we've done a bit of research and not be told we should already know the answer.

To take it one step further, I'd like to see a sub-forum where questions can be posed directly to a CO who has the authority to offer legally binding answers.

A forum like that would be great but won't ever happen. Best is to email Stephen McIvor directly and post his response here.

itsy bitsy xj
04-21-2014, 09:48 AM
Ok so now this has opened a can of worms... I now live on acreage in Langley, I am allowed to shoot coyotes to protect my live stock. I've checked with the RCMP and they confirmed that it is legal. I'm wondering if I can shoot the coyotes at night when they are most active??

Steeleco
04-21-2014, 10:06 AM

I completely agree, there's lots to learn. But shooting in the dark at animals you can barely see let alone see where that bullet may end up is of prime concern to all people in the area. I'm not speaking down to the members post, just that fact that he felt the need to ask it here. All due to lack of instruction. And as with folks like yourself that successfully challenge the test, it should be a question on it at the very least.

I know in some places hunting at night is allowed, Australia is one place, but they are also allowed to use spot lamps so they can see their target. All of which isn't allowed here normally!

dakoda62
04-21-2014, 10:30 AM
[QUOTE=itsy bitsy xj;1491572]Ok so now this has opened a can of worms... I now live on acreage in Langley, I am allowed to shoot coyotes to protect my live stock. I've checked with the RCMP and they confirmed that it is legal. I'm wondering if I can shoot the coyotes at night when they are most active??[/QUDogs causing injury or damage11.1 (1) For the purposes of this section, "running at large" does not apply to a dog that is under control by being
(a) on the property of its owner or of another person who has the care and control of the dog,
(b) in direct and continuous charge of a person who is competent to control it,
(c) securely confined within an enclosure, or
(d) securely fastened so that it is unable to roam.
(2) A person may kill a dog if the person finds the dog
(a) running at large, and
(b) attacking or viciously pursuing livestock.

quaint bucket
04-21-2014, 11:09 AM
Even if it was legal to hunt Schedule C at night, I don't think i want to mess with a feral pig at night.

Legi0n
04-21-2014, 12:05 PM
But from an academic point of view what trumps what?

Schedule "C" animals can be captured or killed anywhere and at any time in BC.

it's unlawful to hunt game, except migratory game birds (see #31), from one hour after sunset to one hour before sunrise

I'm stirring the pot but regulations have to be clear enough for the average individual to understand if they're to be obeyed.
So what trumps what? And why?

Legi0n
04-21-2014, 12:07 PM
In my opinion schedule C animals can be taken at night.
My rationale is the wording: "captured or killed" as opposed to "hunted".

Kudu
04-21-2014, 04:22 PM
I completely agree, there's lots to learn. But shooting in the dark at animals you can barely see let alone see where that bullet may end up is of prime concern to all people in the area. I'm not speaking down to the members post, just that fact that he felt the need to ask it here. All due to lack of instruction. And as with folks like yourself that successfully challenge the test, it should be a question on it at the very least.

I know in some places hunting at night is allowed, Australia is one place, but they are also allowed to use spot lamps so they can see their target. All of which isn't allowed here normally!

Have you ever dived at night? When diving at night you become super concentrated on the area you can see in your light, that might only be one or two square meters, everything surrounding you is absolutely black.

The same thing happens when you shoot at night, your focus becomes super sensitive and to cull 100, 200 or even 300 animals a night becomes super safe, you want to shoot at close range (75m max) and with practise its very possible to place all your shots in exactly the area you aim for - remember there is nothing but blackness beyond your immediate focus so you don't get distracted.

I would imagine shooting schedule C animals in BC would be exactly the same, calling in Yotes or feral pigs under a red or green light would draw all of your attention onto the eyes, focusing through a scope at the animal would get the same results as I described above.

The thing here, (as with all hunting) is to know exactly where your weapon shoots, that is only achieved by spending loads of time behind it - driving round after round into paper - modifying and adjusting loads until you get the grouping consistent enough to know that you can place the bullet exactly where it is required to kill the animal quickly and cleanly.

Please don't knock night shooting - no one I know (who has done it) is a poacher of any sorts.

Steeleco
04-21-2014, 05:35 PM
Not knocking the activity, but currently it's not allowed here so there's no point in practicing.

aggiehunter
04-21-2014, 08:35 PM
you cannot shoot at night in BC unless your a native....

Legi0n
04-21-2014, 08:41 PM

could you please quote the legal text backing your statement?

Chopper
04-21-2014, 09:12 PM
Delete ...

john.b
04-21-2014, 09:22 PM
I cant quote the regs right now but my understanding is that this is true for hunting at night but discharging of firearms at night would be regulated by municipalities. I could be very worng though.
could you please quote the legal text backing your statement?

Gateholio
04-21-2014, 09:32 PM
Ok so now this has opened a can of worms... I now live on acreage in Langley, I am allowed to shoot coyotes to protect my live stock. I've checked with the RCMP and they confirmed that it is legal. I'm wondering if I can shoot the coyotes at night when they are most active??

Livestock Act

Gateholio
04-21-2014, 09:36 PM
But from an academic point of view what trumps what?

I'm stirring the pot but regulations have to be clear enough for the average individual to understand if they're to be obeyed.
So what trumps what? And why?

I tjink you are on to someyhing. Schedule C animals aren't considered game , they are vermin.

Gateholio
04-21-2014, 09:37 PM

Imcorrect. Shooting at night is not regulated by BC law

Chopper
04-21-2014, 09:39 PM
My dad has story's of when they were kids, in they're small logging town ... they used to head out to the dump and pit lamp rats until the we hours of the morning.

Sounded like a tonne of fun

Kudu
04-21-2014, 10:18 PM
Not knocking the activity, but currently it's not allowed here so there's no point in practicing.

You might have that wrong - show me the regs that say I can't shoot schedule C animals at night....

Steeleco
04-21-2014, 10:38 PM
You might have that wrong - show me the regs that say I can't shoot schedule C animals at night....

Show us all where we can!!

biggyun68
04-22-2014, 08:51 AM
I have had experience with hunting beavers at night in the Queen Charlotte's/HQ where they are classified as pests. We were working as foresters for a Forestry Company, We were hunting them on that companies claim, we were really culling them because they were blocking culverts, we had written permission from the COS and MOF and had submitted a written plan how we we going to hunt them: The permission was for a certain number of nights and certain times in a determined location:

However that was in the 1990's... maybe things have changed? I doubt it though

Gateholio
04-22-2014, 09:39 AM

I think you are correct.

I would still suggest getting a legal opinion from Stephen McIvor, but schedule c killing is not considered hunting. I think it's legal.

albravo2
04-22-2014, 10:02 AM
Anybody know Stephen McIvor's email? Just did a search but came up with nothing relevant.

Drillbit
04-22-2014, 08:59 PM

I agree, this is my take on it as well.

VancouverSkiBum
04-23-2014, 12:43 AM
I also challenged the CORE and it never came up, and the wording is quite contradictory in the regulations, as it would seem im not the only one confused. And of course id never do something without making sure its legal, thats why im here asking questions, as a 1st year hunter.

And... can you quote the link to the info regarding discharge at night? or does the lack of the law make it ok to do? may have to call this one in...

Shooting at night is legal if done safely. Schedule C at night? I don't know. Never thought of it. :)

Gateholio
04-23-2014, 04:30 AM
There is no federal or provincial that says you can't shoot at night.

Steeleco
04-23-2014, 08:20 AM
Well I may have been a little off the mark on my first post, it happens LOL But after all my looking I still can't find a clear rule as to the "TIME OF DAY"

Schedule C

Schedule "C" animals can be captured or killed anywhere and at any time in BC. Schedule "C" birds may be hunted using electronic calls. You do not need a hunting licence to hunt or kill the following Schedule "C" wildlife:
(a) Rana catesbeiana - American bullfrog
(b) Rana clamitans - green frog
(c) all species of the family Chelydridae - snapping turtles
(d) Didelphis virginiana - North American opossum
(e) Sylvilagus floridanus - eastern cottontail
(f) Oryctolagus cuniculus - European rabbit
(g) Myocastor coypus - nutria
(h) all species of the genus Sciurus - gray squirrels and fox squirrels
(i) Passer domesticus - house sparrow
(j) Sturnus vulgaris - European starling
(k) Columbia livia - rock dove (domestic pigeon)

You do need a hunting licence to hunt the following Schedule "C" wildlife UNLESS you are hunting them on your property or they are damaging your property:
(a) all species of the genus Corvus - crows, except Corvus corax - common raven
(b) Pica pica - black-billed magpie
(c) Molothrus ater - brown-headed cowbird and the eggs of this bird species may be destroyed.

Would be nice to have official opinion on this from our members in blue. I know your out there LOL

This opens up so many other questions, like shooting grey tree rats with my sub 500fps pellet rifle in city limits. But that's for another post!!

aggiehunter
04-23-2014, 12:50 PM
if your shooting at night expect a visit from the RCMP.

VancouverSkiBum
04-23-2014, 04:39 PM
Since all we can find is "At Any Time" , I would have to say that gives me the go ahead for hunting C class at night. It doesnt get much clearer than AT ANY TIME. And ive been out on nights were the moon lights up everything like a flashlight. As for using a firearm to hunt with, I cant find any legislature on using it at night. I might call in next week about it to see what the CFO says, and hopefully get a clear response via official email or lettermail.

Although... im allowed to have my gun beside me for animal protection while out in the bush, and theres no time limit on that(which would be quite silly) , so i would assume that theres no problem with shooting at night, unless your violating a noise bylaw, which would have to be in or close to a municipality...?

Steeleco
04-23-2014, 04:58 PM
"HUNTING" at night is not allowed for any of us. This is the only LEGAL example where hunting at night has been allowed. But again, Sched C isn't hunting???

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/b-c-first-nation-can-hunt-at-night-supreme-court-1.618478

Papa Sasquatch
04-23-2014, 05:41 PM
Just a thought but Unless you are working in the bush "at night" and you are threaten by wildlife. I don't see why would anyone want to be shooting in the dark... Could inadvertently Kill a Sasquatch that was just there minding his/her own business...while Drinking Bone beer when ever available of course or if it is a Celebrity Sasquatch Drinking Kokanee beer. hopefully not during a Commercial and then your shot in the dark could be recorded on film and find it's way to You-Tube where your mother in law sees it and recognize you! Turns you in cause she still doesn't like you very much and then she opens a bag of Tostitos to complement her strong craving for munchies!

VancouverSkiBum
04-23-2014, 05:53 PM
On a side note as well, I wouldnt shoot a gun without a proper backstop/sure of whats beyond and proper IDing etc. in the daytime, why would I do that at night? obviously the situations have to be right for the shot.

The Hermit
04-23-2014, 06:18 PM
The native guy that claims to have killed 300+ deer in Central and North Saanich hunted at night with a 22... no one got hurt. I don't like it but its hard to argue with success. Until a stray bullet breaks someones window or worse its going to continue. If the courts deemed it safe for natives here then shooting Sched C animals at should be used as a precedent....

Gateholio
04-23-2014, 07:17 PM
if your shooting at night expect a visit from the RCMP.

If you are shooting in an urban area, I suppose. I've shot at night many times without any RCMP visits.

aggiehunter
04-23-2014, 09:08 PM
Vanskibum...you go ahead an fill yer boots hunting and shoot at night...if you get caught you can just say you learnt it on HBC...and they will surely let you go!

filmer123
04-23-2014, 09:28 PM
LOL X2** good luck LOL

Gateholio
04-23-2014, 10:31 PM
Vanskibum...you go ahead an fill yer boots hunting and shoot at night...if you get caught you can just say you learnt it on HBC...and they will surely let you go!

Better advice is to inform yourself from credible sources, such as the Firearmns Act (no restriction to shooting at night) The BC Wildlife Act (restrictions only on hunting at night- no restriction on actual shooting) and as I've mentioned before- McIvor of the CO Service who can clarify the Schedule C question.

Also ensure you are not in a municipality that restricts shooting or hunting.

And finally, if you find Schedule C animals are legal to kill at night (And it seems they may be) then ensure you don't put yourself in a position where you could be accused of hunting at night.

Whenever we have done night shooting, it's always very clear we aren't hunting game animals.

aggiehunter
04-24-2014, 09:32 PM
Gate...well I feel certainly safer knowing you weren't shooting animals...much safer.

Gateholio
04-24-2014, 10:01 PM
Gate...well I feel certainly safer knowing you weren't shooting animals...much safer.

I'm not interested in your feelings, but thanks for letting us all know.

biggyun68
04-25-2014, 08:41 AM
Regardless if you if you challenged your CORE, took a course or are an instructor I think the process for answering this clearly outlined in the CORE manual on page on page 27 - second last paragraph:

I posted an example of participating in the activity you are all asking about and how we did it legally: Short story if you are going discharge a firearm at night you better have let the local cops know or you are guaranteed a trip to jail, some media time and a thank-you letter from the anti's.

albravo2
04-25-2014, 09:15 AM
I posted an example of participating in the activity you are all asking about and how we did it legally: Short story if you are going discharge a firearm at night you better have let the local cops know or you are guaranteed a trip to jail, some media time and a thank-you letter from the anti's.

I think letting the cops know we are going to do something that is legal is a huge mistake, not to mention a huge waste of their time and ours. "Hey RCMP, this is Albravo2, just to let you know I'm going to be driving the speed limit today. I thought I should tell you so you don't pull me over and put me in jail because you really hate people driving the speed limit". Not to mention the fact that it is a pain in the butt to get a human voice at the police station after working hours without calling 911.

We need to quit being squidgy about activities that are legal for fear that the antis are going to make hay or we are going to be unjustly persecuted by the law.

Your neighbours may be justifiably irritated if you are waking them up with your shots, but that is a different matter entirely. Shooting at night is not an excuse to shoot unsafely or to be discourteous to anyone but nothing in the OP indicated he was going to be annoying anyone.

Gateholio
04-25-2014, 09:33 AM
I agree with albravo. I don't see the need to contact the police, unless it's going to be in an area where shooting would actually cause great concern. In many rural areas, shots at night usually mean a pest or predator has just been eliminated.

VancouverSkiBum
04-25-2014, 04:39 PM
Regardless if you if you challenged your CORE, took a course or are an instructor I think the process for answering this clearly outlined in the CORE manual on page on page 27 - second last paragraph:

"The slob hunter is someone who hunts within the rules of the law but their actions will likely offend the general public, e.g., driving down the street with a dead animal on the hood of your car, this type of action does not bring general public support to the hunting community."

Alright bud... you do that.

VancouverSkiBum
04-25-2014, 04:46 PM
I think letting the cops know we are going to do something that is legal is a huge mistake, not to mention a huge waste of their time and ours. "Hey RCMP, this is Albravo2, just to let you know I'm going to be driving the speed limit today. I thought I should tell you so you don't pull me over and put me in jail because you really hate people driving the speed limit". Not to mention the fact that it is a pain in the butt to get a human voice at the police station after working hours without calling 911.

We need to quit being squidgy about activities that are legal for fear that the antis are going to make hay or we are going to be unjustly persecuted by the law.

Your neighbours may be justifiably irritated if you are waking them up with your shots, but that is a different matter entirely. Shooting at night is not an excuse to shoot unsafely or to be discourteous to anyone but nothing in the OP indicated he was going to be annoying anyone.

Can we get an amen? :)

aggiehunter
04-25-2014, 07:07 PM
Gatehouse..all feelings aside..shouldn't you be guiding the new hunter that might be on here...and as you live in Vancouver maybe those shots you hear at night truly is a shitrat getting killed..I live in fear where I am..slanted hay field directly above my house with nightly shooting going on..but alas...you know...the old pitch flare gig.

Gateholio
04-26-2014, 02:24 PM
Gatehouse..all feelings aside..shouldn't you be guiding the new hunter that might be on here...and as you live in Vancouver maybe those shots you hear at night truly is a shitrat getting killed..I live in fear where I am..slanted hay field directly above my house with nightly shooting going on..but alas...you know...the old pitch flare gig.

I don't live in Vancouver, I live on a hobby farm outside of Pemberton, and I can't even see my closest neighbors house (although I can hear them at times) My location is clearly listed on every post I make, so not sure how you got the idea I lives in Vancouver? No matter, really.

I'm happy to guide new hunters, but I think that they should get actual, factual information, not just negative one liners.

The facts:

shooting at night is not illegal by provincial or federal law. Municipal bylaws may vary.

Shooting at night can be completely safe or completely dangerous, just like shooting at daytime. Location, circumstances and methods used are what makes something safe or unsafe, not time of day.

But the real question, one in which we need the facts for, is if schedule C animals can be "hunted" at night. I think they can be, but don't know, so I suggest anyone that wants to should contact the appropriate person to find the correct answer. And if it's legal- Use all precautions required to ensure safety.

Walksalot
04-27-2014, 08:08 AM
A farmer has the right to protect his/her investment. I ran into this trying to get deer to leave my property. I phoned the police to let them know I was scaring deer off my property with blast from my shotgun(had the correct permit and authorization) and I got a visit from a police officer. The officer threatened me with a an anti noise charge but when I told him I had the "Right To Farm" he wished me good luck and left.

biggyun68
04-29-2014, 06:51 AM
A farmer has the right to protect his/her investment. I ran into this trying to get deer to leave my property. I phoned the police to let them know I was scaring deer off my property with blast from my shotgun(had the correct permit and authorization) and I got a visit from a police officer. The officer threatened me with a an anti noise charge but when I told him I had the "Right To Farm" he wished me good luck and left.

The conversation saved you having to answer to an unwarrented charge I bet:)
Thank-you: It is nice to hear from folks with real life experience: