PDA

View Full Version : White Tail Deer around Logan Lake

sporting clays
04-20-2014, 10:59 AM
I was just wondering if there are lots of white tail deer around Logan Lake area. I am not looking for big bucks just good eating deer for the freezer. Any help would be great. The family and I go on a trip every year and it would be nice to get some white tails for the freezer this season.

r106
04-20-2014, 11:37 AM
No there are not " lots " but there's a few in small pockets

Steelpulse
04-20-2014, 12:02 PM
Yes that's the key finding the pockets of whitetails, if you can find them there can be plenty to hunt, but you can hunt a lot of ground and not find them anywhere.

Jelvis
04-20-2014, 12:10 PM
You will find whitetail deer near Logan Lake and mules. Take Exit 336 off the Coq5.
Surrey Lake Road is where I would try for a meat whitetail.
Head off Exit 336 go towards Logan Lake on the Meadow Creek Road and turn left on Surrey Lake Road it goes past Desmond Lake and goes under the Coquihalla Hwy 5 using an underground tunnel.
Make sure your away from the Coq5 the legal distance to shoot. Check BC Hunting Regs for legal distance.
Jel .. Logan Lake has whitetail deer -- Exit 315 to Exit 336 off the Coquihalla 5 Hwy ---- whites my friend.

sporting clays
04-20-2014, 12:15 PM
Do you find them more north or south of Logan Lake area.

sporting clays
04-20-2014, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the info Jel.

Jelvis
04-20-2014, 12:47 PM
Believe it or not all around the little town of Logan Lake has Whitetail deer. When you drive off Exit 336 or Exit 315 you can see whitetails. The Coq5 has opened the highlands up. Logged off of beetle kill.
Meadows and creeks for whitetail deer. Chartrand Creek you can see them also.
I would hunt close to the Exit 336 by Surrey Lake Road. But all around this area should do it for whitetails.
Mule deer and moose and bear too. MU 3-19.
Not much for whitetails going past Exit 336 towards Kamloops. I would stay in between Exit 315 and Exit 336 for the chance at a whitetail deer.
Jello -- Super nice hunting country around Exit 336 -- Logan Lake Turnoff

6pt_elk_wannabe
04-21-2014, 04:10 PM
Take a look along the pipe line just north of Logan lake, should be a few in there

r106
04-21-2014, 04:37 PM
look around pipelines and powerlines. I tend to find them in pockets of hardwood

Kami
04-23-2014, 04:51 PM
Yup, they are there. Seen 'em myself. Any WT in Oct I believe it is. I found a herd not too far from Tunkwa lake. Driving out of the bush near dusk a doe crossed the dirt road in front of me. I pulled ahead 50 ft, parked the truck got out, loaded a round and waited quietly. Sure enough where there is one, there are surely others. Out of the bush came another 6 to 8 WT deer. It was still legal light to shoot, but it was dim enough that with my scope sighted right on a head or two of deer, I could not make out if there were antlers or not. It was Oct 30 and I was legal to take a doe or buck. It would have been my fist ever deer. I was not going to shoot a doe for my first deer. Those darn whiteys stood there frozen while I had my cross hairs lined up. They were frozen in time while I decided not too shoot, for it could have been a doe. After what seemed like eternity they turned and ran back from where they came. 6 or 8 big white flags raised in the air as they took off snapping tree branches. That was almost 3 years ago now and I remember it like yesterday, as I still have not shot a WT deer. I could have that night. How's that for control? I am bound and determined that my first Deer will be a decent sized buck. WT or Mulie. I have let many walk away after my cross hairs were lined up perfectly. You have to let a lot of 2 and 3 point mule deer, and smaller-ish WT deer walk it seems before you drop something you can show off. LOL.

WestCoastHunter
04-23-2014, 05:14 PM
Similar to Kami's story. 3 or 4 years ago in between Tunkwa and Logan lake I missed a chance at a big buck. It was during the youth season and we walked into a cut block for the last time on our way out and sure enough, a good sized buck sitting at the end of it. Got my crosshairs on it, looked to be 4 or 5 points and it was a whitey. Tried to sneak up another 30 yards or so to a boulder for a more sturdy 150 yard shot and we spooked it after about 20. Was he really that big? From what I remember yes but then again I was a kid who was shaking with buck fever so who knows. Point being they are definitely around if you can find them. Saw a cow and two calves I believe in that area too.

Deer_Slayer
10-30-2023, 04:17 PM
I know this thread is old but I had to respond. Yes there are whitetails around Logan lake and Tunkwa Lake. My partner and I saw 2 enormous bucks as we neared Tunkwa Lake resort after dark. We were just arriving that evening to our cabin we had booked 1st week of November 2017. Two huge bucks standing in field on way into resort. One was massive and the other just huge!!! We hunted these 2 the 5 days we stayed at resort and never saw them again. They have either been shot since then or died and left their genes. Either way the answer to your question is yes they are in this area. I just saw your thread now. Maybe you got one of them already!

bullish
10-31-2023, 07:18 AM
Everything has changed since the massive fire 2 years ago. From Logan Lake north thru to Tunkwa and over to Savona mtn and west towards Ashcroft is wiped out for cover. Those pockets that used to hold them are gone. It was a brutal fire. There is a few mulies moving in but very few. Zero wintering areas as there is virtually no timber left to protect them. Any wintering will be done in the sage brush closer to Savona thru to Wallachin.

HarryToolips
10-31-2023, 07:36 AM
Everything has changed since the massive fire 2 years ago. From Logan Lake north thru to Tunkwa and over to Savona mtn and west towards Ashcroft is wiped out for cover. Those pockets that used to hold them are gone. It was a brutal fire. There is a few mulies moving in but very few. Zero wintering areas as there is virtually no timber left to protect them. Any wintering will be done in the sage brush closer to Savona thru to Wallachin.
Too bad about the wintering range being lost, that will be a detriment to the populations, but it will enhance the populations of both species of deer as far as summer forage...I hope there is wintering range in the form of old growth fir stands in somewhat close proximity to there at least... from my observations though, the WT's love burns for summer forage just as much as the mulies...