PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Magazines

onpoint
04-20-2014, 07:45 AM
I keep getting duped into buying random magazines based on the cover stories and more often than not end up disappointed with the purchase/content so I'm curious what other HBCers are buying or not? So:

1) Favourite magazine?
2) Do you subscribe to one or more?
3) Which one(s)?
4) If not, do you buy random magazines dependent on content?
5) Is the content worth it (whether single purchase or subscription)?

Bear Chaser
04-20-2014, 07:52 AM
I buy very few new hunting magazines anymore as most of them no longer tell the story of the hunt.

The best hunting magazines come from used book stores, garage sales etc as sometimes you can score some good reading material from the fifties, sixties, and seventies. There you will read what the grandfathers like O'Connor, Page, Whelen, Keith, and others had to say and the adventures they lived. No magazine written today comes close to giving the free rein those gentlemen got when weaving their tales.

As for actually learning from the content you will learn far more doing a search on this or numerous other hunting sites.

redthorn
04-20-2014, 07:56 AM
The only one I really like is "Bow and Arrow" I get several other bowhunting magazines, but they are a lot more fluff. I think the subscription is worth it.

Sitkaspruce
04-20-2014, 08:31 AM
Big Buck, cause my SIL buys a subscription for me every couple years.

Used to do the Other mags, but they just got so commercialized by all the "guided hunts" and not a lot of DIY hunts.

I am trying to find a single issue of Big Game Illustrated to see what that is like.

Cheers

SS

calvin L
04-20-2014, 08:35 AM
I find that i keep coming back to eastman's bow hunting/ hunting journal . They have some ever good info in them .

Ambush
04-20-2014, 08:43 AM
Subscriptions to Eastman's Bow Hunting, Bowhunter and the Ethic which comes with Pope and Young membership. The Ethic has a feature animal every issue and goes into great detail about all aspects of their life, habitat and hunted history.

BCBRAD
04-20-2014, 08:44 AM
Quit buying magazines some time back, can find mostly what I want from the 'net, all though information comes with opinion which is not all bad if disseminated properly.

Steelpulse
04-20-2014, 09:04 AM
Everytime at the grocery store or chapters, stop by the magazine section and. Read an article, never need to buy one again, outdoor canada and ontario out of doors are my favourites

markt308
04-20-2014, 09:05 AM
I subscribe to Big buck only I used to get others too but I never really liked them much. Big Buck is cool but I enjoy reading others stories and I get that some people aren't into that. I subscribe to hunter's youtube channels instead now haha. It's free and can be really good

BCHunterFSJ
04-20-2014, 09:38 AM
Big Buck, Sports Afield and Peterson's Hunting...

swampthing
04-20-2014, 09:39 AM
Eastmans hunting journal and hunting illustrated are in my house every month.

Lillypuff
04-20-2014, 04:17 PM
Only Big Buck. Speaking of has anybody recieved the Spring issue

bigben
04-20-2014, 04:59 PM
Big Buck a great magazine and i find Eastman and Hunting illustrated to be a good mix great stories and hunts for sure

Moose Guide
04-20-2014, 08:37 PM
1-Big Game Adventures-before it became Big Game Add ventures-now gone I think
2-Big Buck
3-Trophy Hunter(it was hard to find)
I buy very few magazines but used to buy lots!

ThinAir
04-20-2014, 09:03 PM
Eastmans is good. I like guys telling stories... not guys writing about moon phase rut strategies.

HarryToolips
04-20-2014, 09:14 PM
BC outdoors, backwoodsman magazine, the odd random...

knighthunter
04-20-2014, 09:35 PM
Big Buck. I did subscribe for several years, but now that I'm not home for 5-6 month's at a time I just buy it off the rack. Great pictures and all the stories are by real hunter's like us. There are also great stories by new hunters and young hunters alike.

backyardhunter3006
04-20-2014, 09:57 PM
big buck is my only one

Foxtail
04-20-2014, 09:58 PM
Well.... The "boss" gets pissed if I bring home new magazines... So I am relegated to the magazine section of the supermarket. Which I must say, the selection of hunting and fishing mags has become ever so weak over the years. But.... Whatever, that's what the internet is for... Right? :D

BCbillies
04-20-2014, 11:10 PM
When you get out of the LML the selection gets better!

boxhitch
04-20-2014, 11:31 PM
Wild Sheep and Mountain Hunter and Outdoor Edge because they come with memberships.

Just found Canadian Outdoorsman e-mag

Citori54
04-21-2014, 08:21 AM
Big Buck is the only magazine I subscribe to now. Great photos and stories.......not a how to do magazine.

steel_ram
04-21-2014, 11:35 AM
With all the info available here on the internet, most magazines are a waste of paper. Lucky for them most people don't have computers next to the sh__itter.

dana
04-21-2014, 01:23 PM
The only magazine I currently have a subscription to is Muley Crazy. I do buy Eastmans and Big Buck on a regular basis from the magazine rack. The Tines Up boys are now the new owners of Trophy Hunter. I might have to get another subscription and give that one a try.

markomoose
04-21-2014, 05:14 PM
I like Big Buck for the stories and pictures.Never heard of some of these other publications?Gotta get out more!

Stone Sheep Steve
04-21-2014, 07:24 PM
Ok...this is not really a hunting magazine and I don't subscribe to it but a new lady hunter told me about this magazine the other day. Interesting angle.
http://gameandgarden.com/

boxhitch
04-22-2014, 08:22 AM
SSS , that Stacy is hot ! Web-based but she does have a couple of books .
Interesting angle all right , a mom lumping hunting and fishing with gardening and homeschooling under the 'sustainable living ' label
Tenderizing meats with ginger or coffee , who knew ?

Stone Sheep Steve
04-22-2014, 08:53 AM
Interesting angle all right , a mom lumping hunting and fishing with gardening and homeschooling under the 'sustainable living ' label

I sure didn't know but I think this Stacey is the reason the new lady hunter got into the sport as she seems very health conscious.

Bear Chaser
04-22-2014, 08:15 PM

Seven kids.

I guess that makes her a yummy mommy.

Montana
04-23-2014, 10:58 AM
It's hard to sort out (find?) the actual articles in amongst all of the advertising these days... Magazines should either be free or they should be paying us to read them these days!!! Having said that, "Big Buck Magazine" is the exception to that rule... Fine magazine. No "How to" articles....just stories of the hunts and great photos. I also like "Gundog Magazine"....if you hunt with gundogs, this magazine has some excellent articles on training, dog behavior, etc. mixed in with some hunting tales, etc...

Sasquatch
04-23-2014, 12:21 PM
Grays Sporting Journal, BC Outdoors, Western Sportsman

Stresd
04-23-2014, 01:03 PM
Western Canadian Game warden Magazine has some great articles. Especially love reading on how some Hunting/fishing dufasses get nailed by the CO's. Deservedly!! I get it by subscription, but have seen it available in the LML at Saveon and London drugs etc.

http://www.westerncanadiangamewarden.com/

BCHunterFSJ
04-23-2014, 03:14 PM
1-Big Game Adventures-before it became Big Game Add ventures-now gone I think
2-Big Buck
3-Trophy Hunter(it was hard to find)
I buy very few magazines but used to buy lots!

I have 31 issues of "very hard to find" Trophy Hunter magazine for sale. (1994 - 2002) All are in excellent condition! If you like big mule deer, you'll love this magazine...

madcap26
04-23-2014, 03:46 PM
I have over 35 issues of Big Buck magazine free for the taking. Thinning out my bookcases. Located near Vernon.

pg83
04-28-2014, 11:24 AM
Eastmans Hunting Journal
Eastmans Bowhunting Journal
Western Hunter
Elk Hunter

All four offer a number of stories, mostly DIY. Some tactical info, fitness/nutrition, gear info.
I wish there was a bit more Canadian content, but the variety of game makes these magazines my only choice nowadays. Used to habe Big Buck as well, but I'm not so crazy about Whitetails.