PDA

View Full Version : Complete Newbie Here, Advice Appreciated

jonsnow
04-19-2014, 11:03 AM
Hey guys, I'm an 18-year-old Vancouver guy and I'm hoping to go hunting with a crossbow in August. I don't have any gear nor a license right now, because I think it might be better to hear from you guys first before I buy anything. What are some things that I should/must know?

Also, what's a place that I can hunt deers that's close to Vancouver?

Cheers,
Jon

jjsachmoe
04-19-2014, 11:20 AM
Hi Jon
Have you completed the Hunter Core course? I see you say you don't have a license right now, but you need a hunter number to get a license and you can't get the number without the course.
JJ

r106
04-19-2014, 12:02 PM
Step #1 if you want to hunt with a rifle get working on getting your PAL now

#2 Get your CORE ( hunter education course ) Once you get that you get a Hunter # card then you can buy a license and tags

#3 Get a hunting synopsis. There you find the regulations and seasons. Deer season generally starts Sept 1 for archery. There is no Deer season that I can think of off the top of my head that is in August around Vancouver.

#4 if your interested in early season the you better do some research on how to take care of the meat in warmer temps

#5 get gear. Rangfinder, Good bino's, knife and the list goes on

Do you know anyone that hunts that can mentor you? Trying right off the bat to go for Blacktail with a crossbow is not an easy thing to do.

Why do you want to hunt in August??

jonsnow
04-19-2014, 08:34 PM
Thanks a lot guys. I just got my hands on a copy of the CORE manual and will begin studying it quite soon.

jonsnow
04-19-2014, 08:34 PM
Really appreciate it, man. I want to hunt in August because I gotta go back to school in September. How long does the average hunting trip take, by the way?

r106
04-19-2014, 08:53 PM
Really appreciate it, man. I want to hunt in August because I gotta go back to school in September. How long does the average hunting trip take, by the way?

haha. First time out it could take an hour or it could take 3-4 + years. Learning to hunt and being successful is not easy. If you serious about it get the 2014 hunting synopsis to find out whats in season and when.

Hunting in August you are extremely limited on where you can hunt. Plus 30 degree temps you better know what your doing. Most of us hunt deer in October and November

You want to hunt with a gun you better get your CFSC very soon to get your gun license

r106
04-19-2014, 08:58 PM
FYI there is not a season for deer in August In region 2 The start deer season is Sept1 for archery and Sept 10 for rifle in must MU's

This is a link to last years synopsis to get an idea of what the season are select what region and download it http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/

Shooter
04-19-2014, 09:09 PM
Maybe try fishing ;) I bet it's more your thing

hotshot
04-19-2014, 09:25 PM
August deer, no go. But I'd recommend a traditional or compound bow over crossbow since it's fairly easy to go out and practice with it and shoot at tournaments so if hunting doesn't pan out you still enjoy your investment. Plus crossbow seems like an old mans game. Also deer bow seasons are more readily available but get the synopsis and ask questions about seasons that interest you.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/

Best advice is to join a local search and rescue as you will be able to learn the skills needed for outdoor navigation and safety and help out in your community. Or join similar outdoor groups in your school. And make friends with a hunter to experience it before spending your cash.

jonsnow
04-19-2014, 10:39 PM
That's some good advice right there. I just read the section in the manual about crossbows and it made me think twice.