PDA

View Full Version : questionable spot to fish for dinner

Big Lew
04-17-2014, 09:18 PM
I drive along the highway east of Mission quite often, going by Hatzic (septic tank) Lake.
Today as I went past I counted 9 vehicles parked by the Lake and noticed at least a dozen individuals fishing the lake from the shore. That part of the lake system is basically a very shallow and muddy channel that's crowded with cabins of all sorts on level island land only a couple of feet above water level. When 2 of my brothers lived at the other end of that island by the main part of the lake, the bacterial count was so high everyone was advised to keep out of the water. Although I've not seen any advisories against eating fish from that water system, especially bottom feeders such as carp, I personally won't try it. Has anyone kept and eaten fish from there lately?

Foxtail
04-17-2014, 10:05 PM
I would like to know as well, as I am planning to get some with the bow this summer. Gonna try in the pit marshes too.

markomoose
04-17-2014, 10:11 PM
I generally don't bonk fish on lakes with cabins/summer homes.Do you know what these people eat?

Big Lew
04-18-2014, 07:43 AM
I would like to know as well, as I am planning to get some with the bow this summer. Gonna try in the pit marshes too.

Lots of carp in parts of the march when the water rises. We used to canoe up the shallow fingers, especially if they had dead ends, and the carp would flee in front of us and then bury themselves in the mud. We would feel along with our hands and grab them. Some were huge. Bowfishing for them would be great.

Foxtail
04-18-2014, 09:08 AM
Ya, I have seen some pretty monstrous carp in those marshes... I'm chomping at the bit to get the spool on my bow and get out there.

Foxton Gundogs
04-18-2014, 09:18 AM
I wouldn't eat a carp, chub or sucker at the best of times, make great crab bait though.

Wentrot
04-18-2014, 04:17 PM
I go by quite often, can be entertaining seeing the umbrella city down there they set up. Can't imagine eating one of those carp for dinner bet I guess I cant knock it till I try it. Perhaps I will roll a bbq down with a case of beer and tell em to fire one up.

walks with deer
04-22-2014, 06:05 PM
Wentrot.

Beer and barbecue and watching them eat carp.
I am all over that I will dcome down for 1 or 8 and enjoy the show.

Big Lew
04-23-2014, 11:14 AM
Went by there today at about 10:30 am and there were 15 vehicles parked along the hwy. On the west side there is a private property sign but it doesn't seem to deter some of them.

Sasquatch
04-23-2014, 12:16 PM
Smoked carp is considered a delicacy in some places. I've eaten it and it wasn't half bad - but I guess you could smoke an old tire and it probably wouldn't be half bad either.

r106
04-23-2014, 01:03 PM
I have friend that has a place there and we see dozens of people fishing there all the time. Never heard of no swimming advisories there in the last year or two. I dont swim there but I see lots of people in there.

Steeleco
04-23-2014, 01:23 PM
Ya, I have seen some pretty monstrous carp in those marshes... I'm chomping at the bit to get the spool on my bow and get out there.

Stay on this side of the river. East of Fort Langley about half way from 264th to 272nd there's a canal. I've seen people bow hunting carp in there before. It's quite long and runs right into the Fraser!

albravo2
04-23-2014, 01:35 PM
Has anybody already posted the hilarious videos of the Asian Carp problem in the east? Driving a boat through a run is damn near dangerous!

If only they were sockeye...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfG4vsJ5_xI

One Shot
04-23-2014, 10:34 PM
Was in a local fishing store 4 years ago and an Asian man was there that had bought 1500 jig heads for use in Hatzic Lake by him and his friends. Apparently they go through those in a year there. I thought holy $h!t at the time there won't be any fish left in the lake. The store owner was thinking the same thing as we discussed it.

yamadirt 426
04-24-2014, 06:30 PM
Lots of bass, carp and sunfish in there plus whatever. I saw those parked fishing there last weekend also. 10 cars on my second pass. Even saw a guy fighting a fish. They wont clean it out of fish. That part of the canal dries up in a few months anyhow most years.

sarg
04-24-2014, 06:48 PM
I drive along the highway east of Mission quite often, going by Hatzic (septic tank) Lake.
Today as I went past I counted 9 vehicles parked by the Lake and noticed at least a dozen individuals fishing the lake from the shore. That part of the lake system is basically a very shallow and muddy channel that's crowded with cabins of all sorts on level island land only a couple of feet above water level. When 2 of my brothers lived at the other end of that island by the main part of the lake, the bacterial count was so high everyone was advised to keep out of the water. Although I've not seen any advisories against eating fish from that water system, especially bottom feeders such as carp, I personally won't try it. Has anyone kept and eaten fish from there lately?
I was think the same thing yesterday when I drove by, it almost looked like the shore of the fraser when the sockeye's are running :) 90% of them look Asian to

russm
04-24-2014, 06:48 PM
I drove by on Monday and it was like a parking lot in the side of the highway, I kept goig up Sylvester to do some shooting/cleaning up other people garbage and surprisingly there was only a couple of other cars up there. That is a dirty lake but I've never heard of it being closed to swimming.

rides bike to work
04-24-2014, 07:29 PM
There used to be lots of cat fish in there when I was a kid we deep fried a few. They were good. Then I saw guys taking them out by the five gallon bucket then they were all gone.

walks with deer
04-26-2014, 10:14 AM
There is tonnes of catfish in there.
Still.

nature girl
04-26-2014, 11:56 AM
Drove past there today you should of seen the cars about 20 of them or more. Never seen that many people fishing at one time at that spot.