PDA

View Full Version : Deer hunting between merritt and kamloops

bosshog
04-17-2014, 07:36 PM
Hey everyone.

I was just thinking of a new spot to go deer hunting this season. Every year i go up between Princeton and Cranbrook. I was wondering how the deer hunting between merritt and kamloops is? I plan on heading out there this summer to do some camping and scouting. But was just wondering how far do i need to go to get some good action. I do not need specific camps or areas just any info besides peoples honey holes and sweet spots. Any info will be lots of help!

Thanks.

CHEAM
04-17-2014, 07:49 PM
Just about anywhere you look between Merritt and Kamloops you will find deer. Pick a spot and go look in the summer.

Jelvis
04-17-2014, 07:58 PM
did you want just the meat or a big four point mule deer buck and make sausages
If your after meat then near Merritt would be closer to the lower mainland.
Hunting early season for meat say from Sept 10 to Mid October b4 the big stink sets in.
If you want a rutting four or bigger then November is best during the strong rut crazed bucks big month.
Plus should be some snow up the hills.
Exit 315 just north of Merritt on Hwy 5 as you drive up the hill from Merritt is a nice area. Known as Helmer Lake
access from Nicola Lake also into deer country from Exit 290, this provides some great access into good country.
Jel

Foxtail
04-17-2014, 08:17 PM
Missezula lake area is really nice. Great camp site and you can go in a few different directions. Still only about 20 to 30 mins away from merit.

HarryToolips
04-17-2014, 08:27 PM
Lots of deer almost everywhere in BC...just learn an area real well and you should have some success...

olympia
04-17-2014, 08:30 PM
good to see you back jel man

Steelpulse
04-17-2014, 08:31 PM
Yep hunt any road off of that section of highway, iii hunt closer towards the loops, both sides of highway are great

monasheemountainman
04-17-2014, 08:35 PM
good to see you back jel man
No shit back helping people as usual! Good man Jelly

Jelvis
04-17-2014, 09:18 PM
--- >For meat alone then, from opening day it's four point or better then through Any Buck October, around Merritt and to Kammy is your window to get a spike, two or three point mule deer and or a whitetail deer for supreme meat protein value and still fat and super shape for the table. Tender vitals with optimum delicious taste to the pallet.
--- >For a wall hanger rack and the backstraps, loins and best steak cuts then all the rest for sausage meat, a big five year old four point buck or better, your looking at November and the bucks will be rank, the scent glands on his lower back legs are urinated on by him and rubbed together to get his jollies dreaming of mounting a hot doe and the stud is antlered heavy and high and wide with mass and physically muscled up for fighting off challengers who try to enter is zone with thick neck glands, red eyes, and ready to mix it up with any deer he sees.. Meat will be more pounds but basically made into smokeys and pepperoni which you and others will enjoy immensely.
Helmer Lake Exit 315 is your first access point into big game hunting country out of Merritt going north off the Coq5 for moose, deer and bear.
After going by the Helmer Lake exit your next Exit off the Coq5 is Exit 336. Logan Lake turnoff.
Between these two Exits, Exit 315 and Exit 336 on the Coq5 is super hunting country any hunter in Canada, Germany, Italy and the States would love to hunt where the game has feed and big wide space with diverse grounds with dips and little ridges and coulees. Lots of fresh pond and lake drinking water with minerals in it and has big game to use it.
A huge log off a few years back of Beetle killed trees. Nice coulees and lil ridges with rich feed and ample water.
If you don't like this spot your not going to like any spot.
imho
Jel

blindcast
04-17-2014, 10:00 PM
Hey everyone.

I was just thinking of a new spot to go deer hunting this season. Every year i go up between Princeton and Cranbrook. I was wondering how the deer hunting between merritt and kamloops is? I plan on heading out there this summer to do some camping and scouting. But was just wondering how far do i need to go to get some good action. I do not need specific camps or areas just any info besides peoples honey holes and sweet spots. Any info will be lots of help!

Thanks.

Stay away. Stay away. No deer here. Not a one. None. Nada. Besides, that's my hunting area.

markomoose
04-17-2014, 10:34 PM

Holy S*** Man!!! I sent a search party for JELVIS out looking for you!?Lotsa good people on here happy to have you back,myself included!Don't ever do that again!Don't listen to the negative commenters on here. I know you have thick skin or you wouldn't be here.Your a smooth dude JELVIS!!!

keithb7
04-17-2014, 10:51 PM
I live in Loops and have hunted that area between here and Merritt. Yup, there are deer everywhere. Just pick a spot and scout this summer, as mentioned. Personally, if I hear about a spot on here, I tend to go elsewhere and find my own spot. For me, closer to Merritt, generally means more hunters from Big Smoke. Especially in Oct.
Getting a little off topic, but this thread got me thinking:
I have learned from experience, that when I put a lot of time in, and gas money finding better spots, I am reluctant to share those spots with even my closest hunting buddies. If a guy wants to exchange some location info, ok, if he's a buddy. Not implying anything about the OP here, but I know some people who don't scout or put much time in to finding good areas. Those same people are always like ''Hey where'd you get that game cam pic?" or "Hey take me to a good spot". I too used to ask similar questions when I was a rookie. No more. I get it. Once I land a decent 4 pt, then I open my new area up to my hunting buddies, but not before.

smeegle
04-18-2014, 10:00 AM
I agree keithb7! I will be more then willing to help out guys looking to explore new area by giving general directions as to consistent deer area but the onus is on them to hone in on the deer and do some leg work. I spent over 30-40 hours probably in 5 square km's of a bow zone that is within 20 minutes of a a major urban setting I have yet to be successful there but I have it dialed in. I enjoy getting outside and being successful is just a bonus but I am not going to give up my many hours of hard worked info to just anyone.

Foxtail
04-18-2014, 11:29 AM
Ease up a bit there guys. He wasn't asking for your honey hole or coordinats to where you saw a monster buck. Just wants to try a new area and even said he would be going in the summer to camp/scout. I can't stand guys that think an area that they hunt is "their" spot and no one can know about it. If you have a secret spot you like to go hunt, then keep it a secret! Don't say "I have a honeyhole but I'm not saying where" I see that as just being a d-bag.

olympia
04-18-2014, 11:47 AM
Ease up a bit there guys. He wasn't asking for your honey hole or coordinats to where you saw a monster buck. Just wants to try a new area and even said he would be going in the summer to camp/scout. I can't stand guys that think an area that they hunt is "their" spot and no one can know about it. If you have a secret spot you like to go hunt, then keep it a secret! Don't say "I have a honeyhole but I'm not saying where" I see that as just being a d-bag.

Bro I completely agree with you but I noticed you didn't add any of your spots in there, can you post where your favorite bear hunting spot is? I am willing to drive 4-5 hours out of Surrey to get there.

Foxtail
04-18-2014, 11:52 AM
Oops double post... My bad

Foxtail
04-18-2014, 11:53 AM
Actually, I did... Go to the third reply ;)

Wentrot
04-18-2014, 12:59 PM
Bro I completely agree with you but I noticed you didn't add any of your spots in there, can you post where your favorite bear hunting spot is? I am willing to drive 4-5 hours out of Surrey to get there.

You really must be from Surrey.

Kami
04-18-2014, 02:05 PM
I am willing to share a spot between Merritt and Kamloops. Go up the old Merritt/Kamloops hiway. 5A. Turn right before Stump lake and head toward Peter Hope lake. Take a GPS and map out the roads and cruise around. Find a decent spot to set up a camp, maybe take a quad or 2 wheel dual sport. Great place to scout. Figure it out, and have "your own spot". Just get out there and have fun! Good luck.

Kudu
04-18-2014, 03:14 PM
I am willing to share a spot between Merritt and Kamloops. Go up the old Merritt/Kamloops hiway. 5A. Turn right before Stump lake and head toward Peter Hope lake. Take a GPS and map out the roads and cruise around. Find a decent spot to set up a camp, maybe take a quad or 2 wheel dual sport. Great place to scout. Figure it out, and have "your own spot". Just get out there and have fun! Good luck.

Been out there - just follow the power lines with road under / next to it - head towards kamloops - biggest bear we have ever seen along that stretch.

oh! and loads of little lakes up that way for ducks as well.....:-D

Never one not to share hunting spots, just ask.......!!

TexasWalker
04-19-2014, 12:16 AM

Lots of private land up there,stump lake ranch signs are popping up everywhere.

Steelpulse
04-19-2014, 12:56 AM
Yep stump lake. Peter hope lake area has excellent upland hunting, haven't hunted deer that way but lots of sign that's for sure

olympia
04-19-2014, 02:29 PM
You really must be from Surrey.

You must be from abby, I didn't realize he had already posted a spot on the 3rd reply down. As for me being from Surrey let me teach you something today...a-b-c-d-e-f-g-h-I-j-k-l-m-n-o-p-q-r-s-t-u-v-w-x-y-z now you know you abc's wont you come and hunt with meeeeee

davet
04-20-2014, 10:09 AM
Jelvis. Is this area close to the Douglas lake ranch? I have never been by this ranch. Is it clearly marked?

did you want just the meat or a big four point mule deer buck and make sausages
If your after meat then near Merritt would be closer to the lower mainland.
Hunting early season for meat say from Sept 10 to Mid October b4 the big stink sets in.
If you want a rutting four or bigger then November is best during the strong rut crazed bucks big month.
Plus should be some snow up the hills.
Exit 315 just north of Merritt on Hwy 5 as you drive up the hill from Merritt is a nice area. Known as Helmer Lake
access from Nicola Lake also into deer country from Exit 290, this provides some great access into good country.
Jel

Wentrot
04-20-2014, 10:13 AM
You must be from abby, I didn't realize he had already posted a spot on the 3rd reply down. As for me being from Surrey let me teach you something today...a-b-c-d-e-f-g-h-I-j-k-l-m-n-o-p-q-r-s-t-u-v-w-x-y-z now you know you abc's wont you come and hunt with meeeeee

Thankfully no, not from abby!!!

Jelvis
04-20-2014, 11:40 AM
davet the Exit 315 isn't the one for Douglas Lake Ranch, you'd want to take the Exit 290 and go up the Hwy 5A up the east side of Nicola Lake and hit the Douglas Lake Road. The Douglas Lake Road gives you access to MU 3-12 which is a dandy MU for moose and deer with bear and MU 3-20 known well by hunters of moose and deer it's the boundary itself. The Douglas Lake Road from Hwy 5A comes out at Westwold on Hwy 97. Lots of fine hunting country just watch for signs of any private areas and respect all private lands and enjoy the Crowns Land for hunting and fishing.
The Nicola Valley is cattle country and Rainbow trout country if you like fishing.
Hunting is good with mule deer, whitetail deer, black bear and moose in MU 3-12 and 3-20.
If your experienced as a hunter or if not it is still a good area to learn for hunting grounds for big game.
Douglas Lake Ranch is big and infamous but the Crown land around her is wayyyyy bigger so lots of spots available to legally hunt or fish on Crown's Land, our land, your land, my land. Everyone in BC's land.
Exit 290 off the Coq5 will get you on Hwy 5A to the Douglas Lake Road about 28 k up from the Exit 290.
Jel -- The Rocks " Layin the smack down!"

Glockaholic
04-24-2014, 08:59 PM
I hadn't signed on for a while but as I was logging in tonight I was hoping to see some recent comm's from Jelvis. Thanks for not disappointing ;-)

biggyun68
04-25-2014, 08:23 AM
Where ever you go avoid the week-end:
After a successful early morning hunt went back to the Campsite at Helmer Lake for breakfast and counted thirty (30) hunters drive up the main road:
Lots of shooting going on too:

Much - much less on the weekdays

my 2 cents

Jelvis
04-25-2014, 06:46 PM
Doe's Merritt to Kamloops include the area around and just b4 Merritt including, Exit 256 Kingsvale (Coldwater)
Murray Lake? Cuz closer to The Lower Strange Land -- hahaha-- yust kidden--Gillis Lake also -- BOOM!
The southern access is from Juliet about sixteen k south on the Coq5 from Exit 256. Ruff n tuff and steep, need a Jeep, for the first 5 klicks off the Coq5 at Juliet and hit's the south end of Murray Lake. The Murray Lake then parallels the big Power Line, lights go off hahaha. Powerlines Dahhh! Big whitetail bucks love power lines, and ahhh. LOOK there's one, get out! No I mean it Get Out! lol.
and up to Maka Creek. like a muley moose shark to a junction at 18 k, keep left to Murray Lake and keep yer eyes peeled for the next ten K. Slow down or go fast, not in between for game of the road. Look hard and wide.
You drive through large stands of aspen, you'll see deer and bear in this window, BANG! The eye of the tiger.
Evenings and mornings finds the bears and deer with their pants down on or beside the road and can be seen by rubber necking fevered road hunters loookin for bucks then, see these surprized big bears and deer so close, and stunned what oh no, WHACK!
Keep left again @ the Debbie Lake FSR junction about at just over 22 K mark, the road to the right has hunting and fishing also and has had logging history and second growth patches.
@ 25 K the road junctions swing right,
South of Murray Lake is for the truck and atv guys n gals as you can continue down for three K and hit a switch back for the remaining two K and on a decent come out @ Juliet on the Coq5.This road is a narrow, ruff gravel and edges along the mountainside, Clyde. So know your role and shut the pie hole. Focus and be ready b4 hand.
High country and can snow early or get nippy fast and kick yer ass.
Jrock this area if included would be a value added hunting spot The Rock's says, "It doesn't matter what you think!"
---If you want to stay on Hwy 5 and pass Juliet and stay on the pavement for about sixteen k farther to Exit 256 Kingsvale at the north end of the Murray Lake. Or then come down the other way which ever the weather conditions allow for traction for tires especially high up in elevation than the coast and both ways end up meeting together anyways so judge the wiser decision and keep it in mind at all times. Don't second guess yourself