PDA

View Full Version : New Provincial Wolf Management PLan Released

2chodi
04-17-2014, 12:48 PM
News release. (http://www.newsroom.gov.bc.ca/2014/04/wolf-management-plan-released.html)

The Plan. (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/management-issues/docs/grey_wolf_management_plan.pdf)

They are still taking this stance:

7.4 No Reduction of Wolves to Enhance Ungulate Populations for Hunting

In the 1980s, B.C. abandoned predator control programs aimed at increasing populations of game species and current policy does not support predator control for the purpose of enhancing ungulate populations for hunting.

leadpillproductions
04-17-2014, 01:19 PM
Some plan !

Everett
04-17-2014, 01:35 PM
So the plan is lets bury our head in the sand and do sweet F all.

Darksith
04-17-2014, 02:53 PM
Thats kind of a misleading opening statement...they won't manage wolf populations simply to make it better for hunters...I can appreciate that. I do hope though that they actively reduce predator numbers for the mtn caribou and struggling moose populations, and they have said they will do that, but also put in a disclaimer about studies and reviews etc etc...so probably won't do anything that costs money is what I see happening from our fiberals

Vladimir Poutine
04-17-2014, 02:54 PM
Pretty underwhelming. The politic-speak smacks of don't upset the urbanites.

chilcotin hillbilly
04-17-2014, 03:02 PM
Your right Darksmith, nothing that takes much money. What they have done is open the seasons for wolf year around with no bag limit, opend region 8 hoping to keep the wolves beat down a bit before they get out of control.
With 100 000 hunters in the province they can't go on record saying they are killing wolves to keep us happy.They have skirt the issue to try and keep the majority of voters happy. Government knows the problem we have and would like to deal with it quietly.

cuervosail
04-17-2014, 03:03 PM
One media outlet's take on it ....

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/Wolf+populations+kill+levels+poorly+understood+say s+provincial/9749044/story.html

r106
04-17-2014, 04:53 PM
So the plan is lets bury our head in the sand and do sweet F all.

That sums up what I read

budismyhorse
04-17-2014, 06:16 PM
Lol.... For those who thought they'd read a plan that says....."we are goin to shoot up wolf populations across the province"...... Just don't get it. :)

have a look at some of the fine print. That's what's important.

Fred1
04-17-2014, 06:24 PM
lol.... For those who thought they'd read a plan that says....."we are goin to shoot up wolf populations across the province"...... Just don't get it. :)

x2....... .

40incher
04-17-2014, 09:11 PM
Doesn't surprise me at all ...we are "California North". Let's try to appease everyone while accomplishing nothing!

Mountain/Woodland Caribou are doomed without directed predator management ... so let's kiss 'em goodbye.

The anti's should be proud of their "accomplishments "...

bearvalley
04-17-2014, 10:48 PM
Lol.... For those who thought they'd read a plan that says....."we are goin to shoot up wolf populations across the province"...... Just don't get it. :)

Very true. Since the moratorium was placed on 1080 we have never had as many wolf reducing tools in the tool box as now. We just need more Chilcotin Hillbillys that actually get out and get the job done.

leadpillproductions
04-17-2014, 11:21 PM
Yes we do need to be out there doing our job that's for sure , I killed 1 this fall but that's it

Wild one
04-18-2014, 08:30 AM
About what I was expecting

Cordillera
04-18-2014, 08:50 AM
It gives opportunity to do more than in the past. That was not likely easy.

budismyhorse
04-18-2014, 10:31 AM
Very true. Since the moratorium was placed on 1080 we have never had as many wolf reducing tools in the tool box as now. We just need more Chilcotin Hillbillys that actually get out and get the job done.

Lots of trap lines inactive these days ..... People can get a licence learn the craft and do some good if they are so willing.

Ive spoken to 4 lines near my home and each older fella who owns them said "go nuts" to me......

BCHunterFSJ
04-18-2014, 10:52 AM
Thanks for posting this!

leadpillproductions
04-18-2014, 11:16 AM
How and where can I find who owns lines around chetwynd area?
Lots of trap lines inactive these days ..... People can get a licence learn the craft and do some good if they are so willing.

Ive spoken to 4 lines near my home and each older fella who owns them said "go nuts" to me......

budismyhorse
04-18-2014, 02:29 PM
Contact the Bc Trappers Association.... Inquire about it and they will put you in touch with regional reps..... And so forth