PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Youth Hunting Question

hare_assassin
04-16-2014, 12:50 PM
Sorry all, but the regs (as usual) are as clear as mud.

First it says:

A person 14 years of age or older and under 18 must apply for a hunting licence in person in the presence of a parent or guardian, who must sign an "Acknowledgement of Responsibility" for his/her son, daughter or ward.

First of all, I don't ever remember "applying" for a hunting licence. I applied for a hunter number, but I just buy licences. But that's besides the point...

A few paragraphs later, it says this:

When a BC resident who is 10 years of age or older completes CORE, he or she is entitled to a BC Resident Hunter Number Card, and to have a bag limit of his or her own, to purchase a hunting licence, and to enter the limited entry hunting draw.

So the second statement says a 10-year-old with CORE is entitled to purchase a hunting licence, but the first statement says they must be 14 years old to "apply".

WTF?

monasheemountainman
04-16-2014, 12:59 PM
dad can buy 10-14yrd olds licence without them there....I think that's what that means

hare_assassin
04-16-2014, 01:02 PM
That fits with the logic, but is it accurate?

If that is the case, they should hire me to re-write this portion of the regs, because I could explain it a lot better than they have.

Hell, even Jelvis could explain it better. :)

bighornbob
04-16-2014, 01:09 PM
A kid 14-18 who does not have CORE must buy the license in the presence of a parent (apply) as the parent has to sign for them. A kid 10-18 with core can buy his own license with no need for a parent there.

Bhb

Steeleco
04-16-2014, 01:12 PM
Ain't the English language a mess?

If the child has passed core and is not yet 18 they can buy their hunting licence but MUST have an adult fill out the required "Acknowledgement of responsibility" form. It's free.

It gets better, that blue piece of paper "Acknowledgement of responsibility" is of no use, to let say the Uncle that takes the kid hunting, because it's in Dad's pocket and he stayed home this time??

hare_assassin
04-16-2014, 01:13 PM
A kid 14-18 who does not have CORE must buy the license in the presence of a parent (apply) as the parent has to sign for them. A kid 10-18 with core can buy his own license with no need for a parent there.

Bhb

Huh?

Kids 14-18 without CORE can buy hunting licences ???

The only non-CORE licence is the Junior Licence, for kids 10-14 without CORE - no LEH, shoot on parent's bag limit, etc.

Steeleco
04-16-2014, 01:15 PM
A kid 10-18 with core can buy his own license with no need for a parent there.

Bhb

Not quite, the parent of guardian must be there to get the "Acknowledgement of responsibility" The child, core or no core can't buy the license with out the little blue paper!

hare_assassin
04-16-2014, 01:18 PM
Ain't the English language a mess?

If the child has passed core and is not yet 18 they can buy their hunting licence but MUST have an adult fill out the required "Acknowledgement of responsibility" form. It's free.

According to the regs, kids aged 10-13 are exempt from that, since it only states 14-18. ???

It gets better, that blue piece of paper "Acknowledgement of responsibility" is of no use, to let say the Uncle that takes the kid hunting, because it's in Dad's pocket and he stayed home this time??

Crazy.

Does anyone know WTF the real rules are?

It would be great if they annotated the "Synopsis" with reference numbers to the actual legislation so when we have a WTF moment we can quickly flip to that section of the actual regulations and figure out what the hell is actually going on.

Steeleco
04-16-2014, 01:24 PM
According to the regs, kids aged 10-13 are exempt from that, since it only states 14-18. ???

Crazy.

Kids under that age were the only ones that could buy a junior license if they hadn't taken and passed core. Now since last year, the age was changed to 10-17. Only at 18 must the child take core to continue hunting. At the age, they no longer need Daddy's permission, hell they can vote LOL

I'm living it, my "little boy" Ain't little, he's rapidly growing into a BIG PITA LOL

hare_assassin
04-16-2014, 01:29 PM
No fault of anyone here, but I am more confused now than ever.

One thing seems certain. If my daughter gets her CORE then she can get a hunter number and all the stuff that goes along with it.

Maybe best just to leave it at that. :D

Steeleco
04-16-2014, 01:33 PM
Good policy, get here her number and her own tags and fill the freezer. Make damn sure you make the best use of the youth season. It's got both my kids well and truly hooked on hunting. It's much easier than hunting as an adult, but that's the point!!

BearStump
04-17-2014, 05:06 PM
No fault of anyone here, but I am more confused now than ever.

One thing seems certain. If my daughter gets her CORE then she can get a hunter number and all the stuff that goes along with it.

Maybe best just to leave it at that. :D
yup you got it!
But she cant hunt alone until her 18th birthday.
It does get a tad confusing because as steelco said, they changed it last year and any kid under 18 can now hunt with a junior licence. It used to only be 10-14 that could do that.

horshur
04-17-2014, 05:44 PM
Not quite, the parent of guardian must be there to get the "Acknowledgement of responsibility" The child, core or no core can't buy the license with out the little blue paper!

that is if the store employees know the rules.LOL

cripes kids hunted for years no blue paper....till someone figured it out in the store....

Alec
04-18-2014, 10:57 AM
As stated, this age change for JUNIOR licencing and YOUTH has caused several problems in wording of new regulations for other groups as well as the HUNTING SYNOPSIS. In a few years we will all get used to what is 'meant' by the wording, and all will be well for another 40 years or so (how long the CORE program has been in BC).

Foxton Gundogs
04-18-2014, 04:48 PM
And then you get into the Introductory License which needs no core either take water and dirt then stir.