PDA

View Full Version : Importing a Rangefinder from USA ?

hare_assassin
04-16-2014, 09:06 AM
Has anyone had an issue with purchasing a rangefinder from the States and having it shipped to Canada?

I get this message on E-bay when I try to purchase one:

It appears this item is restricted for export by the U.S. Department of State (DOS) under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (22 CFR, Parts 120-130) or the Department of Commerce under the Bureau of Industry (BIS) and Security Export Administration Regulations, EAR (15 CFR, Parts 730-774). ITAR restricted items require an export license granted from the DOS Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC) prior to export. EAR restricted items may or may not require a license, depending on the end user and the ultimate country of destination.
Directing the seller to export without complying with the regulatory licensing and documentation requirements is a violation of United States law. Please consult DDTC’S website at ww.pmddtc.state.gov and BIS’S website at www.bis.doc.gov for more guidance. Also, please refer to eBay’s Military Items Policy (http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/military-items.html)for additional information.

2chodi
04-16-2014, 09:27 AM
I bought a rangefinder from Optics Planet a few years back and my order was processed with no issues.

BRvalley
04-16-2014, 09:34 AM
I thought range finders were part of the exemption, I have a guideline bookmarked on my pc at home....but I could very well be wrong, and likely is not worth the savings or effort compared to just buying in Canada

hare_assassin
04-16-2014, 09:37 AM
Thanks for your thoughts, guys. I've contacted the seller to hear his/her take on it.

Looks to me like I can save close to $200 this way.

markt308
04-16-2014, 09:38 AM
I also bought mine on ebay form the us. no problems at all

Steeleco
I found this in the ITAR regulations.

Category XII-Fire Control, Range Finder, Optical and Guidance and Control Equipment

*(a) Fire control systems; gun and missile tracking and guidance systems; gun range, position, height finders, spotting instruments and laying equipment; aiming devices (electronic, optic, and acoustic); bomb sights, bombing computers, military television sighting and viewing units, and periscopes for the articles of this section.
*(b) Lasers specifically designed, modified or configured for military application including those used in military communication devices, target designators and range finders, target detection systems, and directed energy weapons.
*(c) Infrared focal plane array detectors specifically designed, modified or configured for military use; image intensification and other night sighting equipment or systems specifically designed, modified, or configured for military use; second generation and above military image intensification tubes (defined below) specifically designed, developed, modified, or configured for military use, and, infrared, visible, and ultraviolet devices specifically designed, developed, modified, or configured for military application.

The question is, Par B and how it may apply to CIVILIAN purposes.

I've found all too often that some E-Bay sellers don't like us Canadians and choose to use ITAR as a reason to not sell to us. I've never heard of range finders being on the list, but you need to be far better educated before you purchase as getting caught isn't worth 10x the savings!!

I'd suggest calling the right authority in the US to be sure and document everything your told. CYA (Cover Your ASS!!) is the rule of the day.

Stone Sheep Steve
Bought one from Bear Basin a while back and had no issues bringing it into Canada. Tell them it's for golf.

Sometimes things can get incorrectly classified by someone on the other end and can cause border issues.
I bought some Mtn House meals 2 yrs ago and someone at the border classified them as "sport pouches":confused:...and they charged me duty and taxes when they were delivered. Had to appeal it and they reimbursed me.

SSS

hare_assassin
04-16-2014, 09:44 AM
I found this in the ITAR regulations.

The question is, Par B and how it may apply to CIVILIAN purposes.

I've found all too often that some E-Bay sellers don't like us Canadians and choose to use ITAR as a reason to not sell to us. I've never heard of range finders being on the list, but you need to be far better educated before you purchase as getting caught isn't worth 10x the savings!!

I'd suggest calling the right authority in the US to be sure and document everything your told. CYA (Cover Your ASS!!) is the rule of the day.

I found that info, too. But thanks. I'm paying particular attention to "Lasers specifically designed, modified or configured for military application"

I don't thinkthis applies to sporting rangefinders.

blaker_99
04-16-2014, 09:47 AM
Call whoever you are purchasing from and find out if they take Canadian credit cards and if they ship to canada a lot don't including optics planet. Although nearly all of the. Have no problem with you shipping to a border crossing ie: package recieving store such as bettas services in Oroville Washington etc. You will save in brokerage fees as well if you have it shipped to the US and go down and pick it up. I've seen brokerage fees more than the worth of the product at times. Good luck

hare_assassin
04-16-2014, 09:58 AM
Call whoever you are purchasing from and find out if they take Canadian credit cards and if they ship to canada a lot don't including optics planet. Although nearly all of the. Have no problem with you shipping to a border crossing ie: package recieving store such as bettas services in Oroville Washington etc. You will save in brokerage fees as well if you have it shipped to the US and go down and pick it up. I've seen brokerage fees more than the worth of the product at times. Good luck

Cannot call an Ebayer. That's not the way it works. I've sent a message.

Driving over the border is not a practical option for me. I'd spend the savings on fuel to do so. Makes no sense. As long as USPS is used for shipping, there are no brokerage fees. Avoid UPS, etc. That's what I have learned.

Thanks.

RoscoeP
04-16-2014, 04:00 PM
I bought one from Camera Land NY about 3 years ago and saved a lot of money.

mikeboehm
04-16-2014, 05:07 PM
I bought mine on ebay 3 weeks ago and got it with no problems

Caveman
04-16-2014, 05:11 PM
I bought a rangefinder from Optics Planet a few years back and my order was processed with no issues.

What brand? I just tried ordering from Optics Planet, some Leupold products and they have an agreement that they will not ship to Canada. One of these was a rangefinder

longstonec
04-16-2014, 05:48 PM
And what about the golfers that use Range finders... Luckily i dont hit very far so it never matters!

BRvalley
05-01-2014, 08:23 AM
hare assassin, how did this work out for you?

hare_assassin
05-01-2014, 08:36 AM
hare assassin, how did this work out for you?

The ebay deal went to someone else, while I hummed and hawed about it. Then the money got spent on other stuff I needed (carpet cleaning machine, extension ladder).

Time at the range will have to suffice. I can judge up to 300m pretty accurately now. If it is longer than that I'll get closer.

Like most things (especially hunting gadgets); if I wait long enough, I realize I don't need whatever it is.

BRvalley
05-01-2014, 09:28 AM
ah, I was curious if the seller/ebay got back on the export issue

but agreed on needs vs wants, usually waiting a few days and those 'needs' are realized more clearly as wants

hare_assassin
05-01-2014, 09:36 AM
ah, I was curious if the seller/ebay got back on the export issue

The seller got back to me, but he/she was not clear about whether they would ship it or not. As I was replying to ask for a more definite answer, I noticed the item had sold to someone else. It was a fantastic deal.

but agreed on needs vs wants, usually waiting a few days and those 'needs' are realized more clearly as wants

This'll make you groan, I am sure; between my last response and this one, I have just made someone an offer on a used rangefinder. Couldn't resist! The price is about 1/3 of my previous budget, so if I figure out that I really don't need it, I won't lose anything after re-selling it. Or, perhaps at this price, it is OK to just "want" one. :)