PDA

View Full Version : Who's eaten Squirrel??

HarryToolips
04-15-2014, 09:24 PM
Looking through the regs, it says they can't be killed unless they're doing damage to property etc (Schedule B animal)..too bad, I've read there is seasons in parts of the USA..why don't we have a short GOS in BC?? I'd like to try em, especially when I'm hunting and trying to be quiet goin through the bush and they start chattering at ya:mrgreen:... are they similar to gutting/skinning rabbits?? Taste like bacon is one rumour I heard though I find that hard to believe..I'm guessin they taste similar to rabbit or yellow-bellied marmot:-D

two-feet
04-15-2014, 09:39 PM
Growing up, the rule was "you eat what you kill". There were many meals of squirrel and small bird. I would not hesitate to eat the squirrel again.

Ringo 7MM
04-15-2014, 09:43 PM
They taste like P___Y, make sure you put on lots of Frank's hot sauce.............:mrgreen:

gerrygoat
04-15-2014, 09:49 PM
We shot a couple when we were kids and they tasted awful, had to drench them in Ketchup to be able to eat them, after that we never shot them again.

knighthunter
04-15-2014, 09:52 PM
I ate them one time at a wild game supper along with a few other critter's.

REMINGTON JIM
04-15-2014, 09:54 PM
When we were boy scouts in the 60's we killed and ate them ! Yup ! They were Horrible tasting Rodents in MO ! :cry: RJ

Ringo 7MM
04-15-2014, 09:54 PM
I ate them one time at a wild game supper along with a few other critter's.

So did you like them (squirrels).?

Sitkaspruce
04-15-2014, 09:56 PM
We use to snare them and along with fish and potatoes, it is what 4 oif us lived on for 5 days until a plane picked us up. It was not bad rolled in salt/pepper and flour and fried. Lot of work for little return.

Cheers

SS

Colinofthewoods
04-15-2014, 10:01 PM
My wifes family lives in Tenessee, her little cousin and his friends who are about 10 , shoot them and eat them. The one little guy , his mee maw ( grandma ) sautees the brains and dips them in chocolate. I didnt get a chance to try them myself , but I would like to.

knighthunter
04-15-2014, 10:05 PM
So did you like them (squirrels).?

Weren't disgusting, but I'd have to be awful hungry to eat them again. I only took a small bite.

Ringo 7MM
04-15-2014, 10:10 PM
Weren't disgusting, but I'd have to be awful hungry to eat them again. I only took a small bite.

Never tried squirrel myself, and don't know if I ever will, but if it was offered, I probably would.

snow
04-15-2014, 10:15 PM
My wifes family lives in Tenessee, her little cousin and his friends who are about 10 , shoot them and eat them. The one little guy , his mee maw ( grandma ) sautees the brains and dips them in chocolate. I didnt get a chance to try them myself , but I would like to.

sounds like a good idea for a McDonald's happy meal: "caramel dipped apple slices or would you like to try our new chocolate dipped squirrel brains?" :mrgreen:

Big Lew
04-15-2014, 10:15 PM
My brother and I roasted a couple over an open fire when I was a teenager. Burnt them badly because we were scared of under-cooked meat. Would have to be mighty hungry before trying them again. Not palatable at all. The worse thing though was skinning them out when they were covered with fleas.

albravo2
04-15-2014, 10:22 PM
rats with furry tails. not high on my list of palatable appetizers.

leadpillproductions
04-15-2014, 10:28 PM
I don't mind them ate them when I was a kid lots of garlic lol

avadad
04-15-2014, 11:02 PM
For anyone who is interested Hank Shaw has a bunch of tasty small game recipes to look over. I know I'll be trying some of these. http://honest-food.net/wild-game/rabbit-hare-squirrel-recipes/

charr
04-15-2014, 11:19 PM
My dad always told me that you kill what you eat. Well I killed a squirrel and he made sure I ate it... was not to bad.

Drillbit
04-15-2014, 11:32 PM
My dad always told me that you kill what you eat. Well I killed a squirrel and he made sure I ate it... was not to bad.

My dad always told me to shoot what bothers the livestock/crops (digs holes, eats their food, floods pasture, kills calves, etc.) so we have good beef to eat. I've shot many squirrels and have never eaten one.

My Grandpa used to have to eat gophers to survive in the dirty 30's and always ate beef after that, so I'll guess squirrel isn't as good as a grain finished beef.

Ringo 7MM
04-15-2014, 11:45 PM
I'd rather eat beef and gopher a soda.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
04-15-2014, 11:57 PM
I have eaten Squirrel in the past and God willing, shall do so again in the future!

While some Squirrel species are scheduled differently by the Province (Columbian Ground Squirrel and Red Squirrel), Grey and Fox Squirrels are classed as Schedule C in British Columbia. This means that they may be Hunted at any time of the year with No Bag Limit. Squirrel Hunting certainly is a worthwhile persuit that can be very challenging. In my opinion, it is fine Hunting and a qaulity experience.

Like any Wild Game species, the meat must be handled and cooked properly for it to be delicious/at its best. It is obvious that many of the posters above did not handle/prepare/cook their Squirrel meat appropriately and recieved a nasty, unpalatable return on their efforts as a result.

Young Squirrels are quite simple to cook, I tend to treat them not unlike cooking a chicken or even Grouse (recipe dependant, of course). Old Squirrels definitely benefit heavily from a marinade (brine, in the least) and/or low and slow cooking using wet heat. A quick internet search will return plenty of classic Squirrel recipes and approaches to Squirrel preparation.

For dressing Squirrels, I tend to do the following and as soon as possible after the kill (time varies. Sometimes this is done afield, other times it has to wait until I get home provided that will not be long.) -

1. Slice tail off where it joins the spine being sure to leave a decent section of skin attached at the back.

2. Cut front paws off.

3. Pull upper body skin towards the head, pulling front legs out of skin. This leaves a flap of inside out skin dangling off the head.

4. Pull back skin off in same manner as the front (a pair of needle nose pliers or similiar gripping device can definitely make this process easier to accomplish).

5. Cut off head and back feet, freeing all skin from the carcass.

6. Remove genitalia, leaving a small round oppening behind.

7. Cut from the newly creating opening up through the gut (as with any animal, be careful not to rupture bowel, et al and keep meat hair free during the skinning process described earlier) continuing through the rib cage (severing the sternum) up to the neck. This process opens the entire body cavity.

8.. Remove all organs (may be able to pull out though usualy there is a bit of connective tissue that needs to be removed). Personally, I like to keep liver, kidneys and heart. Lungs can make a tasty treat for Dogs and such, though I have yet to try them myself.

9. Rinse the carcass. Your Squirrel is now cleaned/dressed and ready for marination/preparation.

If desired, the head can be cleaned and utilized. Personally, I tend to discard that along with the rest of the offal. I recommend two knives (one small, one larger or even a cleaver type blade), needle nose pliers or similiar gripping device for skin removal and game shears for removing genitalia and opening body cavity. None of that is truly necessary as the task can be accomplished with only a small sharp knife or two... Even with whatever one has about if needs be.

Ian F.
04-16-2014, 05:44 AM
I've eaten grey/black squirrels back east, much more substantial then a red. They are vey lean, mild meat similar to rabbit. Most are tough and need to be braised and cooked a long time. If you like a stew with a mild meat in it you'll like squirel.

Ian

two-feet
04-16-2014, 07:16 AM
I have eaten Squirrel in the past and God willing, shall do so again in the future!

While some Squirrel species are scheduled differently by the Province (Columbian Ground Squirrel and Red Squirrel), Grey and Fox Squirrels are classed as Schedule C in British Columbia. This means that they may be Hunted at any time of the year with No Bag Limit. Squirrel Hunting certainly is a worthwhile persuit that can be very challenging. In my opinion, it is fine Hunting and a qaulity experience.

Like any Wild Game species, the meat must be handled and cooked properly for it to be delicious/at its best. It is obvious that many of the posters above did not handle/prepare/cook their Squirrel meat appropriately and recieved a nasty, unpalatable return on their efforts as a result.

Young Squirrels are quite simple to cook, I tend to treat them not unlike cooking a chicken or even Grouse (recipe dependant, of course). Old Squirrels definitely benefit heavily from a marinade (brine, in the least) and/or low and slow cooking using wet heat. A quick internet search will return plenty of classic Squirrel recipes and approaches to Squirrel preparation.

For dressing Squirrels, I tend to do the following and as soon as possible after the kill (time varies. Sometimes this is done afield, other times it has to wait until I get home provided that will not be long.) -

1. Slice tail off where it joins the spine being sure to leave a decent section of skin attached at the back.

2. Cut front paws off.

3. Pull upper body skin towards the head, pulling front legs out of skin. This leaves a flap of inside out skin dangling off the head.

4. Pull back skin off in same manner as the front (a pair of needle nose pliers or similiar gripping device can definitely make this process easier to accomplish).

5. Cut off head and back feet, freeing all skin from the carcass.

6. Remove genitalia, leaving a small round oppening behind.

7. Cut from the newly creating opening up through the gut (as with any animal, be careful not to rupture bowel, et al and keep meat hair free during the skinning process described earlier) continuing through the rib cage (severing the sternum) up to the neck. This process opens the entire body cavity.

8.. Remove all organs (may be able to pull out though usualy there is a bit of connective tissue that needs to be removed). Personally, I like to keep liver, kidneys and heart. Lungs can make a tasty treat for Dogs and such, though I have yet to try them myself.

9. Rinse the carcass. Your Squirrel is now cleaned/dressed and ready for marination/preparation.

If desired, the head can be cleaned and utilized. Personally, I tend to discard that along with the rest of the offal. I recommend two knives (one small, one larger or even a cleaver type blade), needle nose pliers or similiar gripping device for skin removal and game shears for removing genitalia and opening body cavity. None of that is truly necessary as the task can be accomplished with only a small sharp knife or two... Even with whatever one has about if needs be.

squirrel man! Love it. I would like to take my kid out and nab a few, brine em up (this is key) and cook the little buggers on a fire. Good life experience for the young ones.

Steelpulse
04-16-2014, 08:08 AM
Bacon eggs and squirrel legs, enough said

RiverOtter
04-16-2014, 08:14 AM
I'm not sure what other species of squirrel may taste like, but having skinned a few hundred red's over the years, there is no way I'd put one of them anywhere near my mouth. The smell the meat gives off during skinning is close enough for me.

If I was starving to death, and my "choices" came down to my dog or a freshly killed red squirrel, my dog would have good reason to be nervous............:mrgreen:

Shade Tree
04-16-2014, 08:30 AM
In the southern states they are the size of a small cat....my grandmaw used throw the whole squirrel x4 into a pot of stew....it was delicious. You had to crack the heads open to get the brains out....us kids used to fight over them:)

Gateholio
04-16-2014, 08:34 AM
I'm with his Lordship :)

Start with the correct squill. The big grey and black ones are the good eaters. I wouldn't bother Ruth the native squill around here.

Then rn treat the meat correctly. I've made squill fritters and I doubt anyone here would turn them down ! :)

DANOSON
04-16-2014, 09:28 AM
Miss K says if you eat the brains it will make you smarter. HAHA

panhead
04-16-2014, 10:09 AM
Never eaten squirrel but had to eat crow a few times ...

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

“The darkest hour in any man’s life is when he sits down to plan how to get money without earning it.” Horace Greeley

hare_assassin
04-16-2014, 10:19 AM
I had a brief issue with wildlife identification one day and shot two reds. Discovered my mistake after the fact, but felt somewhat less burdened by the guilt because my daughters and I ate them.

We had Squirrel Melts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RlK0Xd4c2c

They were pretty darned good, and we all had a good chuckle at the video.

BRvalley
04-16-2014, 10:37 AM
I've ate a few big eastern grey's back in ON and a bunch more in North Carolina and Alabama (not sure what species these were)

they tasted great, similar to rabbit IMO

Darksith
04-16-2014, 10:53 AM
yup...eat what you shoot...squirrel and rabbit soup...nothing wrong with that

Grumpa Joe
04-16-2014, 10:54 AM
The Robertsons and Katniss Everdeen. What do I win?:mrgreen:

huntcoop
04-16-2014, 10:59 AM
Never eat rodents.

Salty
04-16-2014, 11:21 AM
I've never eaten them and like others wouldn't bother with our native red squirrels unless times were tough. Tell ya what though on a recent trip to the deep south; Georgia, N Carolina etc. if I lived down there I'd definitely go squirrel hunting. They're big, lots of them and their diet is hardwood nuts not spruce cones! lmao I sat outside for my early morning coffee in this little cabin in the woods by a huge swamp reserve that we rented one night. Being a hunter of course I'm scanning for critters, it took 10 or 15 minutes of nothing then they settled down and came out of their hidey holes and I could count about a dozen big fat ones from where I sat. Their breakfast of choice appeared to be oak nuts.

huntingtime
04-16-2014, 11:31 AM
Miss K says if you eat the brains it will make you smarter. HAHA

Haha I was wondering who was going to bring that up first.

Steelwheels
04-16-2014, 11:43 AM
Shot too many to count... Only for the Tail..!!

NorfolkBoy
04-16-2014, 12:16 PM
In London, they sell the invasive american grey squirrel as flightless partridge, and I've got to say, it's not bad, lean as it is, it tends to more fat in autumn than rabbit here in the UK, and they are so plentiful. I suppose it's the diet of nuts over grass.

Ringo 7MM
04-16-2014, 12:25 PM
Anyone ever try eating a squirrel's nuts, they get real pissed when you start digging into their winter supply, and their teeth are sharp too......:mrgreen:

Junorr500
04-16-2014, 01:18 PM
Slightly nutty flavour.

Fella
04-16-2014, 02:08 PM
My cousin has a hazelnut grove that's infested with the big black squirrels. I bet they'd taste half decent!

Wackman
04-16-2014, 02:38 PM
They taste like P___Y, make sure you put on lots of Frank's hot sauce.............:mrgreen:
Oh boy, I feel sorry for your wife/girlfriend.....:mrgreen:

Ringo 7MM
04-16-2014, 02:48 PM
Oh boy, I feel sorry for your wife/girlfriend.....:mrgreen:

Frank's hot sauce, I put that shit on everything........:twisted:

HarryToolips
04-16-2014, 06:12 PM
Well hell since grey squirrels are listed under 'schedule C' I'll have to nail one and try it..:mrgreen:

swampthing
04-16-2014, 07:15 PM
They taste like pinecone. Been quite awhile since I had one. I wish we had the big grey squirrels for a game animal.

04-16-2014, 07:21 PM
Tore muscles in my neck with a rubber band effect while trying to bite a hunk off it ...... Ouch ! Tasted like pine tree !