PDA

View Full Version : Wild Pigs in B.C.?

eaglesnester
04-15-2014, 08:40 PM
Have heard that their here. Where? Would love to hunt them. Wild pork cant be beat if it is anything at all like the German Wild Asian Bores. If anyone has hunted them in B.C. what areas are they in? I should think that they would be on crown land and private land just about equally. Have heard that they are pests and there is no limit and no closed season. Sure would be some great sport to find and hunt them.

lip_ripper00
04-15-2014, 08:43 PM
http://wildboarcanada.ca/

JR.HunterEXtreme
08-08-2014, 11:05 AM
imagine having a boar hide on your floor... or even a head mounted on the wall...

this may help... http://wildboarcanada.ca/

srupp
08-08-2014, 05:11 PM
Hmmm was hunting them last week in the cariboo....5 different herds running hog wild...

Steven

Toadhunter
08-08-2014, 05:27 PM
Where were you hunting?

srupp
08-08-2014, 07:38 PM
We were West of Williams Lake....the largest concentration that I am aware of..however I do know of one group East of the Pond also...untill I do a bit more scouting I am going to keep it vauge..from the little I know on these critters they are exveptionally smart and it takes very little pressure to push em to ground and nocturnal...
Its strange thay the only concentrated hog farm was at Mcallister north of williams lake and the rancher never had any jail breaks...all in a large barn...cement floor...steel gates..

Steven

Steven

REMINGTON JIM
08-08-2014, 09:06 PM
It would Be Great to Hunt them at Night with Dogs and Handguns ! :wink: RJ

Gateholio
08-08-2014, 10:00 PM
Are these critters allowed to be hunted using a light. I don't think its illegal to shoot after dark...only to poach using light as an aide to kill native species. Thoughts...on my way for popcorn now! LOL

I htink this might have been addressed on the other thread on this topic. Whether we got a confirmed answer or not Ido not know:mrgreen:

Singleshotneeded
08-08-2014, 10:08 PM
This is starting to sound like Texas, lol! :-D

TexasWalker
08-09-2014, 12:37 PM
All this BS about wild pigs and not a pic to be seen yet!!

f350ps
08-09-2014, 01:21 PM
All this BS about wild pigs and not a pic to be seen yet!!
I'm with ya on this, until I see a dead one they are no different than the unicorn to me! K

srupp
08-09-2014, 04:22 PM
hmmm lol once I drop one I will post a photo...hope to get out next week hmm tracks and wallows and dead bodies = pigs however I have yet to see one on the ground just tracks , photos(not mine) and a wallow along a creek..

cheers

Steven

Gamebuster
08-09-2014, 06:49 PM
How long they been out west? Never heard or seen sign of em out there

f350ps
08-09-2014, 07:47 PM
hmmm lol once I drop one I will post a photo...hope to get out next week hmm tracks and wallows and dead bodies = pigs however I have yet to see one on the ground just tracks , photos(not mine) and a wallow along a creek..

cheers

Steven
Hmmm, waiting! :) K

riflebuilder
08-11-2014, 07:20 AM
here is a pig pic

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/wild_pig.jpg (javascript:;)

srupp
08-11-2014, 10:59 AM
Hmmm the truly wild ones 4 years...the other 2 groups 3 years....the group out east 4 years
Cheers
Steven

TexasWalker
08-11-2014, 03:59 PM
here is a pig pic

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/wild_pig.jpg (http://javascript<strong></strong>:;)

Texas doesn't count!!

TexasWalker
08-11-2014, 04:00 PM
Hmmm the truly wild ones 4 years...the other 2 groups 3 years....the group out east 4 years
Cheers
Steven
Hmmmmm

Still no pichers?

Hmmmmm smells like BS.

srupp
08-11-2014, 06:08 PM
Hmmmmm

Still no pichers?

Hmmmmm smells like BS.

Hmmm suit your self..what no photos in a week or 2 so you get to go potty mouth? Seriously? What are you too claiming first nation status just so you can be offensive...
Was out for one outing..found track and wallow..met folks who have seen the hogs..and know the one gent who shot 4...and one at 120#...and seen the 400 pound dead pig himself
Have another outing lined up...
Hmmm how much fo you expect out of one outing? We found the area the pigs are living in..

Sucks to have your attitude...its contagious..everyone gets pissy faced...
Anyhow I dont come here to lie...stick that in your corn cob pipe and smoke it..
Steven

leadpillproductions
08-11-2014, 06:12 PM
LOL you tell him steve lol corn cob pipe that's funny right there
Hmmm suit your self..what no photos in a week or 2 so you get to go potty mouth? Seriously? What are you too claiming first nation status just so you can be offensive...
Was out for one outing..found track and wallow..met folks who have seen the hogs..and know the one gent who shot 4...and one at 120#...and seen the 400 pound dead pig himself
Hmmm how much fo you expect out of one outing? We found the area the pigs are living in..

Anyhow I dont come here to lie...stick that in your corn cob pipe and smoke it..
Steven

srupp
08-11-2014, 06:28 PM
Hmmm everyone is on edge including me......gonna give myself a 2 week cooling off timeout...got some salmon to can..go look for pigs get ready for first of 4 surgeries I have coming up..

Anyone need hunting info... send me a e mail...wanto help...just not the anger and drama..
Cheers
Steven

Darksith
08-11-2014, 08:43 PM
http://wildboarcanada.ca/

imagine having a boar hide on your floor... or even a head mounted on the wall...

this may help... http://wildboarcanada.ca/

How does one confirm the accuracy of the site? Anyone else from kamloops ever hear of pigs this close to town? I am pretty suspect, but most certainly will be going to have a look anyway...nothing better to do

j270wsm
08-11-2014, 08:50 PM
Due to the destructive nature of pigs, I don't want to see wild pigs in bc. On the other hand it would give me something to else to hunt when I can't chase elk.

Gateholio
08-11-2014, 09:04 PM
There is a big herd near Clearwater....;)

boxhitch
08-12-2014, 07:29 AM
How does one confirm the accuracy of the site? Anyone else from kamloops ever hear of pigs this close to town? I am pretty suspect, but most certainly will be going to have a look anyway...nothing better to doLikewise the Vernon tag , no wild pigs seen here

TexasWalker
08-12-2014, 10:20 AM

Steven

Whoa settle down old timer I was just ribbin ya....

It's just that in post #4 you made a claim about 5 different "herds",yet you haven't actually laid eyes on one?

Singleshotneeded
08-12-2014, 11:26 AM
Well it's something to look for early morning and early evening...just make sure you don't rush your shot if you see one. My cousin hunted them in the Alps with a shotgun, they come at you down their "tunnel" and if you screw up your shot you're in the hospital...nasty critters.

riflebuilder
08-12-2014, 12:15 PM
Even in Texas where I have shot lots of pigs they are hard to find in the daytime. very nocturnal especially when hunted. The most consistent way to get them is traps with bait or dogs. But they are a hell of a lot of fun to hunt and taste great. I hunted one particular group for three months before we caught them in an open field and laid the lead to them. We got 15 of them that night (about 2 am and full auto rifles lots of fun). So don't be too hard on guys for the no pig pictures it is about the hardest hunt out there.

REMINGTON JIM
08-12-2014, 12:34 PM
There is a big herd near Clearwater....;)

Dana:twisted:
will have something to say bout that ! :tongue: RJ

Darksith
08-12-2014, 01:19 PM

It's just that in post #4 you made a claim about 5 different "herds",yet you haven't actually laid eyes on one?
your ribbin wreaks of disrespect rather than humor...maybe back to the drawing board for a bit huh?

TexasWalker
08-12-2014, 08:02 PM
your ribbin wreaks of disrespect rather than humor...maybe back to the drawing board for a bit huh?

Geeze you guys have thin skin!!

No disrespect was meant,just a little poking!!

It's just funny how much attention has been paid to these so called wild pigs but not one has hit the dirt on here and not a pic has been posted,they are phantom pigs at this point.

Maybe I should of used some smilies??:tongue::tongue::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Darksith
08-12-2014, 09:06 PM
well the pigs have only been legal for a short period of time, and they aren't everywhere, nor have they been paid much attention until now. That being said having something that is open season all year will change that rather quickly for a few lucky SOB's that know where they are and learn how to hunt em.

Don't have thin skin, but remember guys that seem to always be poking rather than applauding. Anyway, Srupps a hell of a guy, and helps a pile of people on here and people not on here. We need more guys like him thats for sure. Moderation is key, don't turn someone off of doing us all a favor just for the sake of taking a shot in the name of...?

Springer
08-13-2014, 07:55 AM
If it were me Steve I would only share it with my good Buddies on here..This guy jabbing at you is trying to get your hackles up and find out where and milking you for the intel...Then it gets over run with his buddies and your Hot Hog spot is not so hot anymore..Just saying .

bigbuckbuster
08-13-2014, 10:16 AM
In My opinion....The GOS on wild pigs was created to insure that we won't have the same problem as they do down south. If some domestic pigs get out, it gives the green light to us hunters to kill them before they breed and become feral. Sure there may be the odd group of pigs out there but rather than the feral pig population being so out of control that we need the open season, I think is more of a "Preventative Measure" than anything.

Darksith
08-13-2014, 10:18 AM
In My opinion....The GOS on wild pigs was created to insure that we won't have the same problem as they do down south. If some domestic pigs get out, it gives the green light to us hunters to kill them before they breed and become feral. Sure there may be the odd group of pigs out there but rather than the feral pig population being so out of control that we need the open season, I think is more of a "Preventative Measure" than anything.

of course, but if you can gain the intel and find one of those herds, well its just another reason why BC is the best place to live if you are a hunter...That being said it would be stupid for 40 people to be hunting the same group every weekend!

MRP
08-13-2014, 06:40 PM

not a pic has been posted,they are phantom pigs at this point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIHMcogOzGU

Kapow
08-15-2014, 05:03 PM
I saw at least 5 today on Highway #1 near Savona today! Almost ran them over. Wish I had a chance to take a pic. 1st sighting for me ever.

M.Dean
08-15-2014, 06:27 PM

It's just that in post #4 you made a claim about 5 different "herds",yet you haven't actually laid eyes on one? Well, I'm here to tell'a, I wacked a few of these Pig's myself last fall, and dam good eatt'in I might add! Only seen 4 all fall tho, and man were they nice and fat! Should be a way better year around here for pig hunt'in tho, last time I went out on the Quad I seen 11 totaled. Looked like 8 small ones and a huge sow and two boars! And yes, I'll take some photo's, next time the Grand Kid's are up and take our garden waste over to feed them, I'll take all the pic's you like! And, I'd bet if you pay a little extra for one of the smaller ones, my buddy wouldn't mind if you guys "Camo'd " out, did a bit of belly crawl'in through the grass around the pen, then hammered it with your big Magnum Rifle, hell I'll even help dip it and shave it with you, no charge!!! And I'll take your pictures with your "Wild Pig" for free! That's about the only way anyone's going to shoot a Pig in B.C., far as I know!!!

Whonnock Boy
08-15-2014, 06:42 PM
If it were me Steve I would only share it with my good Buddies on here..This guy jabbing at you is trying to get your hackles up and find out where and milking you for the intel...Then it gets over run with his buddies and your Hot Hog spot is not so hot anymore..Just saying .

I believe the exact opposite. Any, and all information relating to feral pigs should be shouted from the highest roof tops. We don't need no stinkin' pig problem in B.C. Kill em' all!!! :wink:

srupp
08-17-2014, 06:04 PM
hmmm because pigs learn so quickly..and go deep undercover..or nocturnal..gonna keep the area on the small list for now..going to go do some looking this week..will take the camera game camera and rifle..

cheers

elmer Fudd Ruppster

chilcotin hillbilly
08-18-2014, 07:19 AM
My uncles buddy hunted killed pigs every year on the west side of Harrison lake LML back in the 80's

Getbent
08-18-2014, 07:49 AM
we always heard the rumors back in the 80's of the pigs up Harrisn way, never heard if anyone actually shot one but the rumor started somewhere.

Tytalus
08-22-2014, 11:24 AM
I contacted every BC Ministry involved with tracking the pigs and all of the municipalities in the lower mainland - no one has official records of pigs in recent memory. The law was passed so that if hunters are out, and happen upon a pig, they can legally shoot it.

Doostien
08-22-2014, 07:06 PM
I contacted every BC Ministry involved with tracking the pigs and all of the municipalities in the lower mainland - no one has official records of pigs in recent memory. The law was passed so that if hunters are out, and happen upon a pig, they can legally shoot it.

This was exactly what the last CO I talked to said. He said it wasn't because there were pigs, just a way to stop pigs from becoming a problem. I'd love to get one, but it doesn't seem like that'll happen anytime soon.

srupp
08-26-2014, 11:57 AM
Hmm 4 days...just tracks and some fresh pig poop....but for being a secret 3 different hunting friends dropped by for coffee...

Im getting closer but no bacon so far....
Waiting for snow now..
Steven

Darksith
08-26-2014, 12:03 PM
well hopefully you can pop one steven, Im rooting for you and would love to see a pic of one down

adriaticum
08-26-2014, 12:06 PM
Here is something to stimulate you to continue forward

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XaMUw_81Dw

deadlyshot19
08-26-2014, 12:10 PM
hmmm because pigs learn so quickly..and go deep undercover..or nocturnal..gonna keep the area on the small list for now..going to go do some looking this week..will take the camera game camera and rifle..

cheers

elmer Fudd Ruppster

If I had an Alberta antelope draw I wouldn't be thinking about chasing down the 50 wild pigs that are in BC either ;)

srupp
08-26-2014, 01:26 PM
Its fun trying..
Steven

Darksith
08-26-2014, 02:19 PM
If I had an Alberta antelope draw I wouldn't be thinking about chasing down the 50 wild pigs that are in BC either ;)
hes got all the time in the world now...and well deserved

George Papa Daddy O
09-07-2014, 09:56 PM
Any boar sightings lately? Would like to start tracking them soon as summer heat is gone. Heard someone say they got one by cultus lake.

srupp
09-07-2014, 10:07 PM
Hmm have only been out a couple times..no bacon...with other events pigs wait till sfter Alberta pronghorn draw and leh moose hunt in oct then knee surgery..then hip replacement..one dome snow drops..will make tracking em easier..hmm how many deer hunters are out each day lot more, and most wont see or harvest a deer on any one or 2 given hunts

TIM was out today,,, hopefully he dropped one
Cheers
Srupp

180grainer
09-07-2014, 10:13 PM

It's just funny how much attention has been paid to these so called wild pigs but not one has hit the dirt on here and not a pic has been posted,they are phantom pigs at this point.

Maybe I should of used some smilies??:tongue::tongue::mrgreen::mrgreen:

It is all BS.I remember hunting Harrison area a lot when the rumours of someone's wild boars getting loose back in the mid 80's early 90's. No pigs, no tracks, no shite, no stories of people getting pigs, no pictures of people getting pigs. That was back in the 80's. Surely someone on here has "legitimate" pictures of wild ferral pigs shot in BC. If not, it's all BS.

hoochie
09-07-2014, 10:17 PM
Any boar sightings lately? Would like to start tracking them soon as summer heat is gone. Heard someone say they got one by cultus lake.

I think they were telling you a fib

180grainer
09-07-2014, 10:18 PM
Even in Texas where I have shot lots of pigs they are hard to find in the daytime. very nocturnal especially when hunted. The most consistent way to get them is traps with bait or dogs. But they are a hell of a lot of fun to hunt and taste great. I hunted one particular group for three months before we caught them in an open field and laid the lead to them. We got 15 of them that night (about 2 am and full auto rifles lots of fun). So don't be too hard on guys for the no pig pictures it is about the hardest hunt out there.

Been hunting Sasquatch as well. No pictures, but it's a hard hunt too.

180grainer
09-07-2014, 10:23 PM

Maybe you're the guy doing the milking....just saying.

George Papa Daddy O
09-07-2014, 10:32 PM
Bunch of African wild boars got out by my old farm my good friend shot one with 30 06 unloaded into him,boar still came at him ripped off his rubber boot, and coveralls it got pre occupied with his boot and he was able to re load and finish him off. Couple of 500lbs were taken down within a week the local hunters had them all accounted for. That was in southern ontario by Lake Huron

180grainer
09-07-2014, 10:35 PM
My uncles buddy hunted killed pigs every year on the west side of Harrison lake LML back in the 80's

Killed pigs every year? Can you get some pictures? Shooting a wild pig in BC would require two things, a really good whoop and holler, and "freakin pictures".

landphil
09-07-2014, 10:44 PM
well hopefully you can pop one steven, Im rooting for you and would love to see a pic of one down

That's funny right there considering the context.

180grainer
09-07-2014, 11:32 PM
So something just struck me about this pig hunting BS. If I'm out deer hunting and see a feral pig and shoot it, how is it recorded? I mean, does the MOE not care how many feral pigs, (an animal that is extremely destructive) are killed? It may indicate how many pigs are actually out there and thus indicate the impact on the environment. And how does the butcher accept the feral pig? Simply a hunter number? Now I know what you're thinking. It's just like taking him a big bag of Grey Squirrels and saying "cut these up for me Joe I need them for my brother in-laws sister's wedding reception". But pigs are different. Once it's skinned, how can you tell it from a farm pig? After all, a feral pig is simply a farm pig gone wild. You would think at a minimum, and if this was a legitimate concern, the MOE would want you to report your kill. Given the nature of the animal and impact it can have on the environment.

hoochie
09-07-2014, 11:57 PM
I was working over in Gibsons, and went to do a job on a property. The home/land owner had just got some piglets and had them in a large pen. lets say it was 40X40. I wanted to see them, so he took me over to the pen. There were about 5 of them, and they had already torn up a huge corner of the area he put them in. If there were feral pigs here, we would see the large areas of vegetation gone, and all the roots torn up. it looks like the ground was cultivated. From what I saw in this guys "pig pen" I have never seen that anywhere in the wild. The work I do, I'm all over the fraser valley, and often in cultus lake area all the way to the border and up Chilliwack lake area too. Ive never heard anyone mention pigs, I've never seen any sign of a pig.
And with no pictures the stories are just stories. And like 180grainer says.. what about the MOE and the Butcher?

boxhitch
09-08-2014, 04:51 AM
Congrats to the MOE for getting in front of this one.
So what if you don't see sign or no one posts pics ? Thats a good thing. There doesn't have to be 'X' number of anything before it can be made legal to kill them.
Wild pigs are an unwanted pest , to be dealt with harshly.
Escapes have happened in the past , and it was probably a grey area to deal with , and had landowners and hunters questioning what was the right thing to do. This new rule clears the air.
Its in the best interest of everyone if news of sightings is broadcast , and dealt with in a timely manner , before things get to the point of habitat loss for native species.
Anyone who knowingly protects or encourages populations of wild pigs for their own selfish amusement should be up on charges.

hoochie
09-08-2014, 09:08 AM
So what if you don't see sign or no one posts pics ? Thats a good thing.

our point is: the only people saying they have seen them is a guy on the internet who says he heard from someone... not exactly first hand news and no proof. Nobody here has actually seen one or posted a pic, so we are all talking about something that isn't there.
nobody has even posted fake pictures... there is nothing other than people on the internet saying a guy heard from a guy, who knew a guy, who's brothers cousin heard from a guy at work that this guys wife was walking with her friend and the friends husband shot one near a tree.
cant even follow the chain of the story to be able to ask the source of the "I saw one, I shot one"

Phreddy
09-08-2014, 09:21 AM
The only feral pig I've ever seen was shot by a friend in the mid-80's up the Chilliwack River. Nice sized critter. Haven't seen or heard of any since.

BigfishCanada
09-08-2014, 10:16 AM
lots of pics from Christina lake, and the guy i know that got one in harrison just talked about how they had a BBQ with it. Not sure what it looked like, early 80's, other than he said it was a great bbq. i understand one was killed outside castlegar? Two north of kamloops shot in April, I believe these are escaped farm animals?

I really dont think its that hard to believe that the od ones around?

180grainer
09-08-2014, 10:42 AM
We need to make a distinction here. We are not talking about some pigs that get loose and a month later someone bags one. We're talking about a self sustaining herd of feral pigs. Not only are they very destructive to the environment, they breed like rabbits. I think whacking a pig that walked off Old MacDonald's farm last week doesn't count.

Rob Chipman
09-08-2014, 10:51 AM
180grainer:

Why should the butcher care about where a feral pig came from? It's not a game animal. Its legal to shoot them. Why would he need to see anything? Just curious what you're thinking.

180grainer
09-08-2014, 11:38 AM
180grainer:

Why should the butcher care about where a feral pig came from? It's not a game animal. Its legal to shoot them. Why would he need to see anything? Just curious what you're thinking.

Well maybe he doesn't. Just seems to me when you walk through his door and the thing has a huge bullet hole in it, it clearly wasn't farmed. MOE also checks butcher's regularly to ensure that he/she can account for any wildlife. Would he not have to at a minimum, record the person's hunter # and location of kill like other game animals? And again, if these things are out there as some suggest, it makes sense the MOE would want to know how many and "where" they are being killed. So there would be a process for recording this. What I think they've done is make it ok to shoot a pig that "has" escaped from old MacDonald's farm to prevent a feral hog population from taking hold and not because there is one. It seems to me after thinking about it. The pigs back in the 80's where supposed to have come from a rancher thinking he could raise razor backs or some type of specialty hog. Business didn't take off and he released them, (about a dozen). MOE jumped on that and they were all killed within a very short time frame. I might have my wires crossed here. Maybe someone else remembers this.

srupp
09-08-2014, 01:38 PM
hmmmmm sheesh so the 4 pigs "..." shot are bs ? or the 400 pounder in the back of a pickup at ranch "...." are Bs ?
or the 120 pounder ???..seriously...

I saw pig tracks and pig wallows....you calling that BS ?? 4 trips out ..I got better things to do than chase BS...Im not really smart but smarter than that...and have much better use of limited $$$$...

Not about to pin point the location as I don't want tons of hunters pressuring the pigs..

You go deer hunting and see fresh deer poop and fresh tracks...just cuz ya didn't see em You STILL know they are there...
Yes it does piss me off when unknown individuals from behind a computer know more than the guy that's staring at the tracks or the guy that shot 4...

Been studying this for over a year..I know where they came from when..and how....still learning how to get one..I figure snow will tell me lots more...in the mean time show some respect for a fellow hunter...no wonder individuals don't post their success or stories...

sheesh

Steven

Mikey Rafiki
09-08-2014, 01:53 PM
hmmmmm sheesh so the 4 pigs "..." shot are bs ? or the 400 pounder in the back of a pickup at ranch "...." are Bs ?

I saw pig tracks and pig wallows....you calling that BS ?? 4 trips out ..I got better things to do than chase BS...Im not really smart but smarter than that...and have much better use of limited $$$$...

Not about to pin point the location as I don't want tons of hunters pressuring the pigs..

You go deer hunting and see fresh deer poop and fresh tracks...just cuz ya didn't see em You STILL know they are there...
Yes it does piss me off when unknown individuals from behind a computer know more than the guy that's staring at the tracks or the guy that shot 4...

Been studying this for over a year..I know where they came from when..and how....still learning how to get one..I figure snow will tell me lots more...in the mean time show some respect for a fellow hunter...no wonder individuals don't post their success or stories...

sheesh

Steven

Sounds like you're taking a calculated approach to this. I imagine it's in an effort to take them all out efficiently rather than have them chased around and increase their range?

howa1500
09-08-2014, 02:09 PM

sheesh

Steven

Steven aka srupp is straight up good peoples, I wouldn't be questioning him. There's zero motive for him to bs. I for one enjoy the updates. Hate somewhere else trolls

Rob Chipman
09-08-2014, 02:36 PM
180grainer:

I think (might be wrong) that MOE has jurisdiction over wildlife. Feral animals don't count as wildlife, so they don't have jurisdiction. They've said it's ok to hunt them, but you don't need their permission to do so. I think the same thing applies to wild horses. They're not wildlife, legally speaking, but feral (even though we could argue for quite a while about how many generations of an animal have to be born in the wild and survive to qualify as wild).

If I shoot an animal on crown land that is not wildlife the MOE doesn't (I think) have any say and as long as the animal is not someone else's property and as long as I'm not breaking any other laws, no other law enforcement has any say about either.

Think, for example, of free range cattle. You see them in very remote places, far from where anyone is living, but they always seem to have ear tags. If I shoot one of those I'm clearly not shooting wildlife, but I am shooting someone's private property. MOE has no say in it, but the rancher and local RCMP will.

However, if the rancher died and the cattle were abandoned and survived for a few years we'd have some wild cattle that belonged to nobody. You could shoot them. Domestic cattle have gone feral in the past.

Note:before ranchers on this site freak out let me do it for them - don't assume that cattle out in the middle of the woods are feral. They much more likely belong to someone and represent a significant investment in time and energy. Don't shoot a cow in the woods, regardless of how feral you think it is at the time.

srupp:

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I can't wait until you get some success on this.

srupp
09-08-2014, 03:57 PM
Hmmm sorry guys no need for me to come unglued...I have done my homework...know the name of the guy who shot the 4 pigs...where they were shot...
I had the rancher talk to me at his home twice..where he was seeing the pigs...the destruction of fields observed by the cowboys..
Also he described the 400 pounder as lots of heavier longer hair...with rope like end to his tail and Big 3inch tusks or longer..he is a rancher he emphatically repeated it was a wild boar not a domestic pig
I am not doing this secret squirrel stuff so I alone know this area....just that its been lots of ti me homework and its not been a cake walk..seeing sign...but not the pigs...everything I hear says more they are hu nted harder they get to harvest...trying to make it easier on me
Yes I will post photos when I get one..
Secret squirrel stuff to a member to get his stone sheep...at a very out of the way location..same for the guy that harvested his great cali..story and photos if and when he decides to post..I come here to share and help and in the case of the pronghorn learn....not to have the term bullshit used...you arnt convinced fine....I have seen the proof...the tracks...the wallows...talked with reliable folks who have helped narrow down this area...and why and when they got there...no different than talking eith members about Dawson creek elk...and believing the ranchers led me to the sweet xpot on the map...
I do not come here for bullshit nor disrespectful comments or attitudes...thank you
Now I choose to go help a couple of lucky grizzly fall hunters..
Cheers
Srupp

Good2bCanadian
09-08-2014, 04:23 PM
I hope you harvest one and share the story when you do.

Cheers

180grainer
09-08-2014, 06:22 PM

sheesh

Steven

No disrespect intended. I simply find it hard to believe with all the hunters out there hunting other animals that no one has come across, shot, and "took pictures" of a wild hog. And if you shot a wild pig, would you get it mounted. Some guys would. I know I would. Who's seen a mount of a wild pig shot in BC? Can you get a picture of it and post it? Even Sasquatch has some fuzzy photos taken of him/her.

I wish you success and please post a picture if you do. I'll gladly have my nose rubbed in that. Any chance you can contact these people who shot those pigs and see if they can forward a picture or two?

180grainer
09-08-2014, 06:43 PM
180grainer:

I think (might be wrong) that MOE has jurisdiction over wildlife. Feral animals don't count as wildlife, so they don't have jurisdiction. They've said it's ok to hunt them, but you don't need their permission to do so. I think the same thing applies to wild horses. They're not wildlife, legally speaking, but feral (even though we could argue for quite a while about how many generations of an animal have to be born in the wild and survive to qualify as wild).

If I shoot an animal on crown land that is not wildlife the MOE doesn't (I think) have any say and as long as the animal is not someone else's property and as long as I'm not breaking any other laws, no other law enforcement has any say about either.

Think, for example, of free range cattle. You see them in very remote places, far from where anyone is living, but they always seem to have ear tags. If I shoot one of those I'm clearly not shooting wildlife, but I am shooting someone's private property. MOE has no say in it, but the rancher and local RCMP will.

However, if the rancher died and the cattle were abandoned and survived for a few years we'd have some wild cattle that belonged to nobody. You could shoot them. Domestic cattle have gone feral in the past.

Note:before ranchers on this site freak out let me do it for them - don't assume that cattle out in the middle of the woods are feral. They much more likely belong to someone and represent a significant investment in time and energy. Don't shoot a cow in the woods, regardless of how feral you think it is at the time.

srupp:

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I can't wait until you get some success on this.

Given the negative impact a herd of wild hogs would have on the flora and fauna in BC, I think the MOE would be actively involved in some meaningful manner if there were hogs out there. Again, not a couple of pigs that got loose a month ago. An established herd of feral pigs.

srupp
09-08-2014, 07:39 PM
Lol im having a difficult time convincing Susan that I can get a pronghorn mounted if successful at the end of the month..somehow just cant imagine a pig...but might make an interesting european mount?
As with most any hunting endeavor it does take time and knowledge...I will ask the rancher nicely as I believe he might have a photo of the 400 pound animal presented in the back of a pickup at the ranch .
I know the guy who shot the 4 pigs is not a share it all around the internet sort...hell he wss in on the Horsefly 8 foot blackbear harvest and he never said anything about that for 6 months .
I brought up the entire wild pig subject one entire year after having started 5he research on the release of several groups of pigs and one group of wild boars...numerous trips out and then working do far back that we started comming at them from another access point...the last group spotted were 3 youngsters...so breeding is still happening...and these 3 were 6 kms from any private property..the large dark colored one seen just 2 weeks ago was even another 10 kms away from where We were hunting .I brought up yhe subject because it was so unusual ...unexpected...also because of the negative potential if let grow.once one is harvested...I certainly will post on this site the closest landmark .
Cheers
Srupp

boxhitch
09-09-2014, 08:43 AM
Attago Steven , we can count on you for good intel.
Good luck
iirc a domestic pink pig takes on black wild traits within three generations when running wild . Read it somewhere .....

two-feet
09-09-2014, 09:39 AM
I really hope you kill one of these wild hogs and share the expirience, and I am very curious about the cullinary aspect after. Hams? Bacon? Ribs? Gamey? Tough or tender?
And a euro mount of a tusker would be fricken amazing.

6 K
09-11-2014, 07:53 PM
Hey Steven,

When you do get one would you mind putting me on the list of guys you p.m.?

I'm very interested in protecting our province and country from these pests

boxhitch
07-12-2015, 05:57 PM
We can only hope the info gets spread around

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/wild-boar-populations-an-unmeasured-menace-in-b-c-says-researcher-1.3143985

Wild boar populations are spreading disease, killing native wildlife and destroying vegetation in British Columbia, and the worst part is we don't even know how many of them there are, says one researcher.
"They're incredibly invasive. They cause lots of economic and environmental damage, especially in terms of crop damage," said University of Saskatchewan (https://www.usask.ca/) master's student Ruth Kost (http://words.usask.ca/news/2015/07/03/u-of-s-reseachers-boar-hunt-to-document-invasive-species/).
That's why Kost is travelling across Western Canada to meet with conservation officers and biologists and find out what boar populations they are aware of, and what sightings landowners and farmers have reported.
"We need to know where they are in order to start to make some management strategies for them.

Daka
07-12-2015, 07:00 PM
Be careful what you wish for!?
They can very fast and very bad turn the page beyond return. They are not native species and can have very bad effect on Canadian wildlife.
due to hunting and firearm rules in Canada (hunting after dusk particularly ) they will be very hard to get rid of and beleive me thats what will everyone wants once they spread everywhere (especially due to their feeding habits and reproductive capacity)

srupp
07-12-2015, 09:25 PM
Hmm so we went out 5x for pigs 2014.
4 long day hunts..and once I stayed in there for 3 days.
Found tracks..wallows? Where they were rolling in mud..trails through cattails on edge of lake.
Even tracks in snow..
2 more were harvested 20kms closer to Williams Lake than we were.
Still havnt seen a live specimen..hip replacement has eliminated the quad useage..
Will try again..
Steven

boxhitch
07-13-2015, 05:59 AM
Be careful what you wish for!?
due to hunting and firearm rules in Canada (hunting after dusk particularly ) they will be very hard to get rid of and beleive me thats what will everyone wants once they spread everywhere (especially due to their feeding habits and reproductive capacity)Rules now allow for shooting beyond what I consider my limit with the gear I have , but there are optics out there that allow a guy to use all of that dusk and dawn when the activity picks up. Big Euro optics were made for the dark hours.
Hunting may never get rid of or even reduce the pigs but better intel can only help.

boxhitch
07-13-2015, 06:01 AM
http://wildboarcanada.ca/#sthash.FeRcd3pN.dpbs

one marker for BC yet

boxhitch
07-13-2015, 06:33 AM
team sports
http://www.hogdawgs.com/

boxhitch
07-13-2015, 06:39 AM
This latest addition touches on the traits of feral swine that make them successful as an invasive species, as well as the current and future damage they may causehttp://wildlife.org/tws-releases-feral-swine-fact-sheet/

tadpole
07-13-2015, 07:04 AM
I shot one last fall in Trinity Road area. Shot a picture (alive) just before killing him. The picture is here on this site and Iron Nogging made it in to sausages last winter. I still have some of them in my freezer.

elch jager
07-13-2015, 09:40 AM
http://helibacon.com/ A friend of mine has an R44 we use to access the upper Pitt.
It may be fun to come up and give you a hand with your piggies... I don't see any legal issues with this do you?:smile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=210PdJqy3jo

My hunting partner and I are seriously considering this... http://www.hogwild.ab.ca/hunting.html
Wild Boar has to be the single most delicious protein ever... generations of kings and lords of Europe were onto something...
I am in Edmonton several times a year on business... extend to the weekend and bring home the bacon.

FourOhs
07-13-2015, 10:15 AM
It seems to me like a good start on tackling this problem is by spreading information about feral swine populations around. I know I'd love some wild pig sausage, and that would be a lot easier to achieve if I knew where the populations are. If I ever get one I'll be posting on here as soon as I can where I do so, so that one or more of you can go out and trim the herd some more.

FourOhs
07-13-2015, 10:53 AM
http://wildboarcanada.ca/#sthash.FeRcd3pN.dpbs

one marker for BC yetChange the "Number of Points" (upper right corner of the map) from 50 to 500 and hit the Go button beside it. There are several markers in B.C. One right near Vernon, which is good news for me and the others in this area. :)

Dannybuoy
07-13-2015, 01:36 PM
I shot one last fall in Trinity Road area. Shot a picture (alive) just before killing him. The picture is here on this site and Iron Nogging made it in to sausages last winter. I still have some of them in my freezer.

Likely an escapee from that fellows place that raises those things in that area ....... if you are from the Lumby area you will know I am not talking about domestic pigs . Good on you for getting it .