PDA

View Full Version : Turkey help needed

burger
04-15-2014, 05:08 PM
First time out. Found a tom last night. Went back this am and couldn't hear anything. Went back tonight and same again. Lots of sign and water and feed and good cover. Will he come back? Should I keep going there? Couldn't find d his roost tree last night so not sure but it was after 6 she he was calling back to me. Stayed outta sight but saw him. Nice tom. What should I do?

eastkoot
04-15-2014, 05:26 PM
My guess is if you saw him, he saw you. That will shut them up.. I had 3 answwr today, one quit, one was too far away and the other saw me and flew across Koocanoosa Lake.. Danm.. Just keep at it..

300H&H
04-15-2014, 05:36 PM
You lucky dog !!! Nube to the turkey world and yur on a tom...WTG.
First, you are on the right track.
Try to find the roost and then you are golden.
If you do find it then all you need to do is observe the direction the tom "flies down" and set up there in the morning...or try to get in a couple of hours BEFORE dark and get him on the way to bed. Stealth is key.
Sometimes you will not hear anything so be ready, he may sneak in on you when your calling. DON'T OVER CALL !!!
In the early season turkeys can be patterned. They are creatures of habit if not disturbed.
Try to be where they are going, it is much easier than trying to call them in.
Good luck, any questions PM me.

Everett
04-15-2014, 05:45 PM
Better than me all I called in was another hunter and it happened twice in 2 hours in an area I have never seen another hunter in 5 years.

burger
04-15-2014, 06:02 PM
Totally exillerating!! He may have seen me but I was looking over an edge and watched him for like 10-15 minutes. He moved downhill and into the thick stuff slowly and then could not locate again. I could hear him and get him to return call but...Do I assume that since it was after 6 that he is roosting nearby. Never went after him as I didn't want to spook.

So I should keep up in the same area? Have heard nothing at all today?

eastkoot
04-15-2014, 06:08 PM
Keep it up but stay away from the immediate area and try from a distance.. They look stupid but they are keen, I dropped my call today and it made a weird sound, after that, no answer.. He is probably in the same area, just wary for some reason..Last year one stopped calling and I walked to where I though he was and he was standing looking at me, lucky cause I got the shot off.....

Brez
04-15-2014, 06:29 PM
If you are calling, don't gobble, just hen talk. We (bcbrez and I) got one today, but we had to work it real hard. Lots of clucking and putting. Each situation is different - very difficult to make hard-and-fast rules.
Main thing, is you are having a lot of fun. That's what it's all about. Good luck to you.

300H&H
04-18-2014, 08:12 AM
If you are calling, don't gobble, just hen talk. We (bcbrez and I) got one today, but we had to work it real hard. Lots of clucking and putting. Each situation is different - very difficult to make hard-and-fast rules.
Main thing, is you are having a lot of fun. That's what it's all about. Good luck to you.

Where are the pics ?