PDA

View Full Version : My Last Grizz

BULLNUTTS
04-13-2014, 04:45 AM
Not sure if I ever posted this bear or not as it was;t the one we were after ... but with spring grizz approching thought I'd put er up just for the heck of it lol.
Story goes - We had our homework done to a T!! After a looong loong bumpy ride [and a bottle of " oh be jolly"] two days later we arrived in our area so extensivly studied.Even before we got to our actual camping spot finding our "dude".He was feeding in the river bottom digging root bulbs, as he slowly followed a young 5'sow that was feeding with him.As they fed away into the river willows we could see the repeated tracks crossing a sandbar below- a purfect ambushing spot for us.Awesome in all respects he was a impressive bear- my dream bear! I had visions of full mounted standing in the courner looking down on all whom entered.We estimated him at 8 1/2 -9 1/2 foot and big as two oil drums with head the size of a garbage can lid and feet like fry pans!!! They just would'nt come any bigger.A True Brutus of a Giant! Henceforth we ageed and named him " Brutus".We were absolutly,Totally STOKED!Off to set up our camp we went leaving him to stay undesturbed [ or so we thought].When your 500 klicks remote who would think not.Next morning we got up from a sleepless night both us,having breakfast and still getting things in camp put into proper roosting places-it was a wonderfull morning.We went over and over our plans of attack,with actions discussed for every situation- or so we thought.Finally we loaded up ,not wanting to arrive too early , allowing him to feed normally. We planed on letting the sun hit the south facing grade changing thermals to up with us setting up over him as he fed by on his pattern below.It was a purfect set up- we had the noose on him bigtime especially with the sow leading him by the cohonies lol.Adrenilin was high and heart rates pumpin and we knew we had Brutus by the numbers,his number was up for grabs.

BULLNUTTS
04-13-2014, 05:11 AM
DISASTER STRIKES
So loaded for bear-literaly- off we go heading for our setup on Ol'Brutus.Then just few klicks from our bear's spot there is a truck coming towards us! We both stop For parlay,as we are so very remote its custom.Its fella and lil gal full of smiles telling of bear huntin as are we.Quikly he tells of grizz sighting and how he just took shot of grizz by river bottom-Our hearts hit bottom of some deep deep well- fearing it was our boy.Imediatly we questioned him of the sise of the bear.5-6 foot bear he says.Hope is restored a lil.But as story continues location proves it to sound like our bears.He had made a hurried shot from window of his truck at a bear crossing a sandbar below with his 242 120 grain and bear ran off so he con tinued on hoping for better chances.Goodbyes quikly said we proceeded to our spot.
Clearly you could see his tire tracks and where he stopped,drove back n forth then got out n walked up n down lil bit then drove away.With closer looking we could see the fresh tracks of the lil sow as she crossed the sand bar normal then the dance and run after being shot. We imediatly sent our search back from her tracks - sure enough, about 75 yards behind was fresh big guy tracks!Walking calm behind then ripping off to cover in oposit direction.They dont get big being stupid.The hunt for Brutus was over,at least for the next while,certainly that day.He was in the thick cover of the bottoms.We went back an talked to the shooter - he told of how the bear ran then disapeared after trying to cross a small spit in the river climbing the bank then sliding back into water- but his truck moved ahead and he lost sight not knowing where the bear went.We went in and located the young sow down right where he lost site of her - she had tryed to climb the bank but exspired and fell back into the cold water and sank.We contacted the C/O and the fella ended up recovering the bear.We decided to give Brutus a break and check on him in few days to see if he would resume his regular pattern as it was a prime feeding zone for that area .

Brett
04-13-2014, 05:34 AM
Just cause no one else is awake doesn't mean I'm not waiting for MOAR! :)

BULLNUTTS
04-13-2014, 05:46 AM
BREAKFAST BEAR
With Brutus disturbed we fell on plan b. In our looks we found a beautifull bear we named " goldy" which had the most beautifull pelt with amasing gold hue to it.About a 71/2 ft bear he was a definat keeper but goldy had been hunted before and with clouds of dust rolling behind him there was never a shot offered.A huge black grizz was sighted and put to bed but was very high on a mountain and we were not up to the task of asending to a hight nesasary to come down on him, but he was a monster of a bear that lives in both our memories always.Three days passed since the sow was shot now.Our plan was to go check him out.Up for breakfast it was my partners turn to cook breakfast and my turn to load up the truck.We had brought everything for this trip-Best of everything as to enjoy our trip bigtime- what the heck right.We had a cool lil bbq that we set on the tailgate with a flat grill for cooking everything from flapjacks,bacon n eggs to coffee pots ect. A well used bbq it tended to smoke a bit while using,sending off a blue plume of bbq smelling delight it seemed.We were both in our long ginch still as not had coffee or breakfast yet.Bud was cookin bacon n eggs ,I was loadin the truck.Spirits were great as we both bantered with me sayin a real campy woulda had a cup of coffee for a poor fella by now at least and him laughin that a real packer woulda had the wood split and things loaded before he got outta bed! ya ya ya I thought the cooks got up ---BEAR I says!!! What ?? where he asks searching the hillside.RIGHT THERE I SAY!! Holding the flipper like a sword searching still but not able to see it.I'm moving steadily to the truck as all our guns are inside ready for the trip.Bud moves to my side too and as im loading my gun the "where is it" becomes obvious.The grizz had snuck in to 20-25 yds directly in the smoke of the bbq.He sat down like a dog and was lickin his chops like there was honey on them.I loaded the 340 weatherby mag with a 250 grain soft point boattail- nothing.We wispered back n forth " maybe we can scare him off" It was then he started moaning n groaning uhhhyummm nummm nummm with his tougne flipping back an forth over his snout an my bud says naaaaaw he's comin in braa - its the bacon.With no doubt of my ability to take him and us in our long ginch an my partner holdin a pancake flipper I made my decision and Bang floped him right there.It was'nt ol Brutus or even pretty "Goldy"but still a sucessful hunt and joyfull memories of goodtimes in great country.The next few days were spent in camp [ours and his]and with local outfitter and personnel friend rick and enjoying the great outdoors and fond memeries always of " the bacon bear".

BULLNUTTS
04-13-2014, 06:29 AM
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/BULLNUTTS/100_0808_zpsbe6cd5ef.jpghttp://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/BULLNUTTS/grizzhunt2010127_zpse7aab912.jpghttp://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/BULLNUTTS/grizzhunt2010029_zpsab75b315.jpghttp://rs853.pbsrc.com/albums/ab91/BULLNUTTS/grizzhunt2010021_zpsa363dc04.jpg~c100http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/BULLNUTTS/grizzhunt2010027_zps1281c7c6.jpg

BULLNUTTS
04-13-2014, 06:31 AM
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/BULLNUTTS/grizzhunt2010021_zpsa363dc04.jpghttp://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/BULLNUTTS/grizzhunt2010092_zpsb8209048.jpghttp://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/BULLNUTTS/grizzhunt2010093_zps6b95b980.jpghttp://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/BULLNUTTS/grizzhunt2010001_zps8d099b89.jpg

pin_head
04-13-2014, 06:38 AM
Great story! Sounds like a hell of a good time was had

BULLNUTTS
04-13-2014, 06:41 AM
Oh and P.S.-Brutus still lives as no one has taken him to my knowledge- the wize ol brute.That one time may very well have been the only chance he let the odds stack against him.For us the reality is oppertunities like that are very very rare-1st to even find a bear of that brutish dimentions,2nd- to have the noose on him like that.But thats why its called huntin an not shoppin lol.Good luck OL'BRUTUS !! An Good Huntin to All BULLNUTTS

laredo318
04-13-2014, 06:46 AM
Great read to start a Sunday.
Thanks for sharing with us!!!!!!!

Hillbros_96
04-13-2014, 06:52 AM
Great read

Blainer
04-13-2014, 06:56 AM
Finally a hunting share
Thank you

BULLNUTTS
04-13-2014, 06:59 AM
Thx guys ,I'm not the best writer but just wanted to share an give a lil jazz to some of the upcoming spring grizz hunters .And yes it was a great trip.loads of fun,goodtimes n memories forever.

Bear Brawler
04-13-2014, 07:20 AM
Thanks for sharing, it was a great Sunday read with a coffee. Looks like a beautiful area you were in. I have 2 weeks from today till I leave for my Grizz trip so this story got me excited, great looking bear also. I will try to post pics with my story, successful or not I will share my adventures as this is my first Grizz trip.

fishingguy44
04-13-2014, 07:31 AM
Awesome way to start the day. great read

two-feet
04-13-2014, 09:11 AM
Got pics of the mount?

good story.

Bear Chaser
04-13-2014, 09:34 AM
Nice story. The bacon bear still looks like a mature bear even if he's not the monster you were after.

Jagermeister
04-13-2014, 03:04 PM
Is using a BBQ legal? Joking aside, I think that is a first.
Makes a person cognizant that an unwelcome guest may turn up for breakfast, drawn in by the aroma of fresh cooking bacon.
Too bad Brutus or Goldy didn't catch that smell first but a worthy grizzly nevertheless. You may have saved someone from an encounter down the road me thinks.
Thanks for sharing the story and the pictures. Great scenery!

Pre '64
04-13-2014, 03:07 PM
That was real nice bear, and good pictures too. Thanks for sharing the story.

Rattler
04-13-2014, 05:51 PM
Great story and pics. Makes me want to go bear hunting:)

thanks for sharing.

Fred1
04-13-2014, 05:56 PM
Very cool! Bears in your underwear... sounds like a bedtime story!

BearStump
04-13-2014, 08:03 PM
awesome story! The way its been going I thought hare assasin was gonna take the cake with his rabbit limits this spring. nice looking coat on that bear, noone told me about baiting with bacon before, only makes sense I guess when you're hunting for a male bear.lol

yama49
04-13-2014, 08:42 PM
Good read, sounds like a great trip, when it was all said done… Congrats

markomoose
04-14-2014, 10:14 AM
Good bear boys.Gonna try to get a fall LEH Grizz?

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
04-22-2014, 06:16 PM
Top-notch stuff.

Skookum images and a fine tale to go with them.

Cheers!

ryry4
04-23-2014, 03:18 PM
Great story. Congrats on the bear.

coglark
04-24-2014, 11:53 AM
Good story. Nice area. "Bacon Bear" Beats "Longjohn Bear" :-D

BiG Boar
04-24-2014, 12:42 PM
GREAT STORY. Gives me thoughts of the first week of June already. However that one seems even earlier!

albravo2
04-24-2014, 12:50 PM
Great story. Well written. Makes me pretty keen for a spring grizz hunt next year.

Fella
04-24-2014, 01:49 PM
Great story, way to liven up the site! Nice bear! Funny how a hunt can end under such amusing circumstances eh? It's one of those "did I ever tell you about the time I shot a bear in my underwear?" stories.

pete_k
04-24-2014, 02:35 PM
The Legend of Brutus.
Heard about him at a party last week.

04-24-2014, 02:40 PM
Great story, nice Bear, now did you ask him to pose before his final breath, is he riggered up and dead or is that a dancing Bear pose from Disney ....... Never seen of any buddy posing with a bear like that before . Congrats

BULLNUTTS
05-10-2014, 10:02 AM
hahahaha thx for all the nice comments lol CT- I would likes to say we fed him bacon to get the poses but yes bit of rigger there just befor the skinnin job up at ricks,as we were camped there and he walked into camp on us there.Neet,cool pics to go with great mems of good times with good friends! Good Huntin BULLNUTTS