PDA

View Full Version : Throwing darts for grouse hunting

rides bike to work
04-12-2014, 09:43 PM
I was throwing darts the other night when I had an appifany. This could be a great weapon for grouse. I would say more wounding and killing power than a rock in a sling shot. So we backed it up 20ft and were able to hit 8/12 kill shots. Then we moved the board to ground level and I hit 10/12 kills. Way smaller to pack than a sling shot with rocks while out deer hunting. Now I'm just looking at some mods I can do to the dart to get deeper penetration and a good spot that is accessible and will protect the fetching to store them on me. Lets not discuss the legalities on this one that discussion gets old.

aggiehunter
04-12-2014, 09:56 PM
I have to say more than so many words....wound!

139grainsofhell
04-12-2014, 10:32 PM
Is this a joke?

Bear Brawler
04-12-2014, 10:53 PM
Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Steelpulse
04-12-2014, 11:40 PM
A sling shot is far superior weapon to the dart, a. 45 cal ball comes out of my slingshot so fast and is an instant kill up to 10 yards accurately, I even split a rabbits heart in 2 with a .45 cal ball died in 3ft, don't see how a dart would penetrate. Deep enough to kill even wound enough to kill

Drillbit
04-13-2014, 12:28 AM
By the sounds of it, you're a pretty good at throwing darts.

I know I couldn't pull it off and wouldn't try, but I've helicoptered sticks and have been successful.

Lawn Darts, those might kill a chicken!

Foxtail
04-13-2014, 07:23 AM
Modify like how? Like put a broad head on there? Lol

rides bike to work
04-13-2014, 07:46 AM
I was going to taper where the needle meets the weighted part so it could penetrate deeper.im supprised so many here think it won't kill. I can throw these things with a lot of speed and wouldn't doubt it could go right through a grouse.

Beerhunter93
04-13-2014, 07:51 AM
If you're that good with darts why not use some throwing knives. Or better yet some ninja stars. Now were talkin. Slice the head right off and leave the meat. All you need is practice. Hahaha

~T-BONE~
04-13-2014, 08:04 AM
Practice on a bear 😉

two-feet
04-13-2014, 08:49 AM
I watched my dad put a blunt head arrow right through a grouse center of body, it flew up into a tree and waited a couple of minutes to die. Grouse are tougher than you might think.

Dannybuoy
04-13-2014, 09:04 AM
I was going to taper where the needle meets the weighted part so it could penetrate deeper.im supprised so many here think it won't kill. I can throw these things with a lot of speed and wouldn't doubt it could go right through a grouse.
Are you talking about a regular pub style dart ?
Thru a grouse ?? That I would have to see . Doesn't sound plausible ... Hmm Mythbusters episode?

Bear Chaser
04-13-2014, 09:36 AM
Maybe test it on some domestic chickens first.

Dannybuoy
04-13-2014, 09:44 AM
Maybe test it on some domestic chickens first.

Great idea , or start small ... starlings ?

Bear Chaser
04-13-2014, 09:48 AM
Better yet test it on magpies and ravens. If you can pull that off there won't be a grouse alive wily enough to outfox you.

john.b
04-13-2014, 11:17 AM
So I was playing pool the other day and thought what a great tool to go duck hunting.... I picked up a few sets of balls and have begun practicing my throw. LOL

Fella
04-13-2014, 12:02 PM
If you use lawn darts you should be golden.

Ringo 7MM
04-13-2014, 12:16 PM
Throwing darts at birds would be "Harassment of Wildlife".

ducktoller
04-13-2014, 12:23 PM
So I was playing pool the other day and thought what a great tool to go duck hunting.... I picked up a few sets of balls and have begun practicing my throw. LOL

That's funny because the other day I was playing baseball and thought what a great way to kill a deer

Chopper
04-13-2014, 12:51 PM
every grouse ive taken in the past ten year was with a soft ball size rock ... I have to say ive gotten pretty good.

I refuse to fire a rifle in my Blacktail spots

toad
04-13-2014, 01:54 PM
i want to go bowling for bison......

NitwiT
04-13-2014, 02:18 PM
every grouse ive taken in the past ten year was with a soft ball size rock ... I have to say ive gotten pretty good.

I refuse to fire a rifle in my Blacktail spots

I think carrying a half dozen darts would weigh a LOT less then packing around a whole bag full of soft ball sized rocks....

john.b
04-13-2014, 02:39 PM
Who said anything about packing rocks around... see a grouse pick up a rock, throw repeat..
I think carrying a half dozen darts would weigh a LOT less then packing around a whole bag full of soft ball sized rocks....

Beerhunter93
04-13-2014, 03:51 PM
A foldable air rifle wouldn't way much.

bridger
04-13-2014, 04:25 PM
i want to go bowling for bison......

Too funny!

rocksteady
04-13-2014, 05:04 PM
I would not venture too far with your epiphany.. Just my thought...

BlackOwL
04-13-2014, 06:08 PM
Darts or rocks Not legal method for hunting, but I would love to see Your face when the CO gets You.

SingleShot
04-13-2014, 06:24 PM
I carry a small cast iron frying pan and hurl it end over end at the grouse. 9 times out of 10 I get the bird and it's already in the pan ready to cook. On a rainy day I pull out the trusty Teflon coated non stick one as it wont rust. For geese and ducks I step up to the 16" wok.

Big Lew
04-13-2014, 07:10 PM
I carry a small cast iron frying pan and hurl it end over end at the grouse. 9 times out of 10 I get the bird and it's already in the pan ready to cook. On a rainy day I pull out the trusty Teflon coated non stick one as it wont rust. For geese and ducks I step up to the 16" wok.

Too funny!:lol:

Gateholio
04-13-2014, 07:55 PM
While legal to use unorthodox weapons to hunt game in BC, I'm not convinced that a dart board dart is lethal enough to cleanly kill a grouse. On the other hand, people have cleanly killed grouse with rocks since rocks were invented.

finngun
04-13-2014, 08:14 PM

go for the stainless..never look back.. ///toad--i want to go bowling for bison..///i like the idea:mrgreen:

BearStump
04-13-2014, 08:16 PM
a rock would crush vital structure on the bird and at least render it lame until you could walk up and put it out of its misery. Although I have no dart/bird experience per se, I would think that a dard would do nothing but put a 2 mm hole in its side or back and it would flutter away injured into the thick shit.
Years ago when I first started hunting I'd shoot them in the body with the 22. all that did was put a tiny hole right through them and theyd fly away. I learned quickly that it had to be a head shot with a single projectile.

mwalter
04-13-2014, 09:42 PM
I wonder how big the vitals of a grouse are? Maybe a ping pong ball size I am a rock man myself but good luck

albravo2
04-13-2014, 09:51 PM
i thought baseball bat for deer was brilliant but bowling for bison has left me speechless.

a bunch of bored people with great wit on here...

Ringo 7MM
04-13-2014, 09:53 PM
Dudes, rocks are the only way to go man, they cost nothing, and no fire arms licence required.........:-D

Chopper
04-13-2014, 11:49 PM

Ya didn't think this one though to much ... did ya ?

I will add , my dad drove logging truck for one of the Island outfits for 15 years before he retired ... They all had sling shots and would stop in at the shop and grab ball bearings in the morning. All the guys had grouse at the end of the day during the open season.

Went on until the new trucks came out with the computers , and the foreman could see the " Panic stops " recorded on the truck.

Sling shots work pretty damn good

Darksith
04-14-2014, 03:50 PM

as someone who has messed around with darts quite regularly I would dispute your accuracy and effective throwing power...I think you lose your first 3 darts then decide it won't suffice

Darksith
04-14-2014, 03:56 PM
a rock would crush vital structure on the bird and at least render it lame until you could walk up and put it out of its misery. Although I have no dart/bird experience per se, I would think that a dard would do nothing but put a 2 mm hole in its side or back and it would flutter away injured into the thick shit.
Years ago when I first started hunting I'd shoot them in the body with the 22. all that did was put a tiny hole right through them and theyd fly away. I learned quickly that it had to be a head shot with a single projectile.

lol...body shot and they fly away...never in my life have I experienced that lol...where do you find these super grouse? that being said its head shot or nothing simply due to liking a challenge more than I like grouse meat

hunter1993ap
04-14-2014, 04:09 PM
lol...body shot and they fly away...never in my life have I experienced that lol...where do you find these super grouse? that being said its head shot or nothing simply due to liking a challenge more than I like grouse meat

if you don't hit in the spine/vitals good luck finding that bird.

bridger
04-14-2014, 04:17 PM
Hunting season better get here soon! Lol

NitwiT
04-14-2014, 04:22 PM
Ya didn't think this one though to much ... did ya ?

Fyi, the comment about packing around a whole bag of rocks was supposed to be a joke. Sorry that you missed it.

Big Lew
04-14-2014, 05:15 PM
Hunting season better get here soon! Lol

x2! And it's a long way off!

hunter fisher
04-14-2014, 05:31 PM
i say theres only one way to find out how well it works!! good luck!!!!

Chopper
04-14-2014, 05:47 PM
if you don't hit in the spine/vitals good luck finding that bird.

you don't even have to hit grouse ... you throw a rock at one and miss, they freeze and wait for you to hit them ... its awesome ! lol

some times they will stand there and duck once and awhile lol

Im talking Ruffed ... not the same story with Blues

Big Lew
04-14-2014, 08:18 PM
If you do it right, you can grab Spruce grouse by the legs with your hand. I'd show some backup pictures but then there would be incriminating evidence for some to use against the doers. Suffice to say, I know of many that were caught that way.

hunter1993ap
04-14-2014, 08:20 PM
If you do it right, you can grab Spruce grouse by the legs with your hand. I'd show some backup pictures but then there would be incriminating evidence for some to use against the doers. Suffice to say, I know of many that were caught that way.
I'm not surprised considering those birds are almost tame. should almost have the name "dodo".

139grainsofhell
04-14-2014, 10:43 PM
I've shot them with a slick trick and they don't die had to resort to a branch and chasing and swatting at them. Also had encounters with 22 body shots in m early years where they wouldn't die . Turn in your throwing darts and buy a firearm!

J_T
04-15-2014, 04:13 AM
I had to go back and see if the date on the OP was April 1st.

Realistically -having pursued grouse with a recurve and 750gr arrows with broadhead - using a slightly refined front end on a dart, I don't think you would even wound a grouse with a dart. It will most always, just glance off.

There is no energy stored in that dart, either through the speed you might toss it, or the weight of it. In my experience your best shot would be broadside and if you make substantive contact, the dart, having pushed through the wings, only the slightest tip of the dart 'might' hold. But I doubt it. Grouse take a bigger poke landing in a heavily branched tree.

I know guys have suggested bats, cue balls and bowling balls. I'd be careful with those. The RCMP might step up and consider putting them on some sort of restricted list requiring a permit to carry.

BearStump
04-15-2014, 07:16 AM
you've obviously never done it. Yes they fly away. Not cool when you want some chicken. Mind you they dont fly away with a round from my .300. there's nothing left of them. but they sure do when shot with a 40 gr. bullet from a .22

olympia
04-15-2014, 07:36 AM
just what we need a headline across the Vancouver Sun "bc hunters using darts to kill grouse" with a link to this thread lol

r106
04-15-2014, 07:36 AM
I'll stick to my 22. If I want to be quiet I'll use cb shorts. I don't need a grouse bad enough to use darts, rocks or branches.

But I have kicked one in the head once on a dirtbike. Made for a nice snack

Peter Pepper
04-15-2014, 09:02 AM
That's funny because the other day I was playing baseball and thought what a great way to kill a deer

I know an indian that killed one, by stunning it with softball and then cutting it's throat.
he was warming up for a game and it wandered onto the field

ramcam
04-15-2014, 11:55 AM
How pissed were you when you thought this up! HAHA

budismyhorse
04-15-2014, 08:09 PM
Ok this should settle it.... You and a buddy stand 20 ft apart...... You toss your tweaked up dart at him and then he fires a steel ball from a sling shot at you..... My guess is your buddy is laughing off a pin prick and you are curled up in a ball crying for momma.

jeff341
04-15-2014, 09:51 PM
Grouse killing "roshambeau" style.....

do it. video tape it too please.

BRvalley
04-16-2014, 09:15 AM
Ok this should settle it.... You and a buddy stand 20 ft apart...... You toss your tweaked up dart at him and then he fires a steel ball from a sling shot at you..... My guess is your buddy is laughing off a pin prick and you are curled up in a ball crying for momma.

LOL i'd love to see this go down

Salty
04-16-2014, 11:52 AM

OH.... so you can modify your weapon found in the bar? I mean I assume that's where this idea comes from the only place I see darts is in a pub. Dunno man I think some penetration tests are in order.. 'right through a grouse'? Mmmmmm.. don think so but go ahead and give it a demo I've been wrong before. But seriously I'd look a little further. How about a pool que? A big ass 20 ouncer would make for some pretty good momentum if'n you sharpened up the tip I think that could go right through a grouse. Or how bout make a sling shot out of a half dozen comdoms :confused:. And don't forget they've got knives in the kitechen.. jus say'n.

finngun
04-16-2014, 07:39 PM
or the boomerang...aussies are very good with it:mrgreen: and if yu missed it will come back...like arnold:mrgreen:

rides bike to work
04-16-2014, 09:53 PM
The dart I have modified weighs two ounces and has 4" of needle it.im designing a tiny broad head on the tip for some cutting action. I haven't tryed it on anything live yet. This isn't your regular pub dart and I didn't think of this at the pub. I don't even drink.it is just an idea that I'm playing with. The mind does wander ya know. At least it is a hunting based discussion. If I throw accurately it will kill a grouse just like any weapon. At close range I can put a lot of energy into it and at two ounces it carries the energy just fine.i do enjoy the criticism and will post some tests on different targets.

finngun
04-16-2014, 10:08 PM
why not---Images for blowdart (https://www.google.ca/search?q=blowdart&client=firefox-a&hs=4YL&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=fflb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=U2FPU_eFKYioyASx9YLIBQ&ved=0CC4QsAQ&biw=1333&bih=647) legal or not:mrgreen:

Gateholio
04-17-2014, 03:48 AM
why not---Images for blowdart (https://www.google.ca/search?q=blowdart&client=firefox-a&hs=4YL&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=fflb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=U2FPU_eFKYioyASx9YLIBQ&ved=0CC4QsAQ&biw=1333&bih=647) legal or not:mrgreen:

Blow guns are a prohibited weapon in Canada

J_T
04-17-2014, 05:20 AM
The dart I have modified weighs two ounces and has 4" of needle it.im designing a tiny broad head on the tip for some cutting action. I haven't tryed it on anything live yet. This isn't your regular pub dart and I didn't think of this at the pub. I don't even drink.it is just an idea that I'm playing with. The mind does wander ya know. At least it is a hunting based discussion. If I throw accurately it will kill a grouse just like any weapon. At close range I can put a lot of energy into it and at two ounces it carries the energy just fine.i do enjoy the criticism and will post some tests on different targets.
Well if one thinks this through then. You have a 2 ounce weight and if you can throw it... say 80 mph (a major league pitch) you would have about (I'm guessing) 25 foot pounds of energy. Which in theory might be enough to hunt small game. Be interesting to see your cutting point. I'm still thinking it's more of poke that penetrate.

BiG Boar
04-17-2014, 07:15 AM
I think you should put barbs on the dart. This way when it goes to fly away, (and it will if you just stick it, I promise,) it won't be able to fly with the weight of the dart attached possibly?

Walksalot
04-17-2014, 07:49 AM
Sounds like a thought dreamed up in the midst of a drunken stupor or a Guinness World Book fattie. I suppose that same thought process which spawned the dart brain child also solved the mystery of time travel.

budismyhorse
04-17-2014, 02:08 PM
dude you obviously are good at imagining things that don't need be, thick skin and are stubborn..........are you a politician?

kidding of course......I encourage this type of thing.......what else do we come onto this site for? Sheep threads have died like disco....

Ddog
04-19-2014, 06:21 AM

i have seen grouse fly away with arrows in them, i have put an arrow through a grouse and had it fly away, i have seen quite a few take a body shot from 22 and fly away.

As for a dart,, there is no way anything other than a head or possibly a neck shot would be enough to kill the bird, that being said, the needle part being a foot long would be enough to skewer to the ground so you could go and grab em and break their necks,,ha