PDA

View Full Version : Do I Need to Carry My Hunter Number Card While Hunting?

VancouverSkiBum
04-11-2014, 07:50 PM
Or just my Hunting licence? Thanks. :wink:

igojuone
04-11-2014, 07:56 PM
Never had someone ask for my hunter number other then the individual issuing my hunting license. Can't get a hunting license if you don't have a hunting number. So no.

reach
04-11-2014, 08:11 PM
Just the license. BUT... if you need more species licenses while you're on the road, you're SOL if you don't have the hunter number card. So I carry both.

BimmerBob
04-11-2014, 08:24 PM
I have never had a problem buying species licenses without my card, the number is on my hunting license so they just went with it.

reach
04-11-2014, 09:12 PM
On the Ministry site it says "A British Columbia Resident Hunter Number Card is first required in order to purchase Hunting and Species licences in British Columbia."

You're probably right in most cases, but I know my dad was denied when he tried to get a whitetail tag once. Better safe than sorry IMHO.

Steeleco
04-11-2014, 09:50 PM
I once had the B***H at Wally world refuse to sell me a tag without my hunter number. Till I showed her that SHE was the one I bought my licence from in the first place. Once you've got the booklet, the rest is a waste of time IMO.

Pretty much redundant like BB hinted at.

Papa Sasquatch
04-11-2014, 10:01 PM
By law I believe they are required to ask! Don't be so hard on them kids.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
04-12-2014, 04:37 AM
As mentioned above - No, it is not required of Hunters by the BC Wildlife Act to provide a Hunter Number Card and/or proof of Hunter Training (CORE or whatever is offered by another jurisdiction obtained whilst a resident of said jurisdiction) while in the field, as of this writing, as these are among the prerequisites for obtaining license to Hunt in the first place. As you know, proof of valid licensure and tags as necessary for whatever species persued are required.

Also as mentioned above - It may well prove to be very handy to have all these things with you on an outing none the less. I usually do bring them myself... Ultimately what you'll bring on a Hunt is your perogative.

The unique facet of this post is this - A reminder to not forget your PAL (if Hunting with/carrying a firearm) while afield as well as some other photo ID. These things may or may not be called upon, yet certainly can come in handy.

Hopefully, in the future, things will return to being not unlike a simpler time some may remember from the past (via a repeal of C-68 ). Until such a time, I suppose I'll simply have to trundle along with my filing cabinet afield, while recommending other do likewise! Hunters certainly are a heavily regulated bunch.

eaglesnester
04-12-2014, 08:15 AM
I once had the B***H at Wally world refuse to sell me a tag without my hunter number. Till I showed her that SHE was the one I bought my licence from in the first place. Once you've got the booklet, the rest is a waste of time IMO.

Pretty much redundant like BB hinted at. I do not understand your point. You must each and every time show your hunter number when purchasing a hunting license in B.C. Your last seasons hunting license does not get it. Even if U have purchased your license from the same person for the last 10 years. The reason for this is U could have been busted the season before for poaching and had your hunting license suspended for 5 years.

Steeleco
04-12-2014, 09:17 AM
I do not understand your point. You must each and every time show your hunter number when purchasing a hunting license in B.C. Your last seasons hunting license does not get it. Even if U have purchased your license from the same person for the last 10 years. The reason for this is U could have been busted the season before for poaching and had your hunting license suspended for 5 years.

OK to clear this up a wee bit, I had bought my licence and bear tag but was lucky enough to cut the tag PDQ. I then went back and was attempting to get my second tag.
My point was, this was a current years license with all the info inside the first page that this same clerk had put there only a week or so earlier. She was no kid and came off like she ran the joint and I was not getting a tag without it. In all my years of hunting SHE was the only one that gave me that level of grief for additional tags on a NEW license.

Once the booklet is filled out for the current year, it's as good as the hunter card IMHO!

BuckNaked
04-12-2014, 09:26 AM
I picked up a lanyard and clear poly sleeve this spring, and pack my PAL, Hunter #, and License in it. Similar to my range card/lanyard set-up.

J_T
04-12-2014, 09:35 AM
I plasticized my hunter number card. It lives in my hunting wallet along with everything else I require. CORE cert, PAL, IBEP certification, key contacts, butcher shop business cards, band-aids, moleskin etc.

Ringo 7MM
04-12-2014, 10:01 AM
I do not understand your point. You must each and every time show your hunter number when purchasing a hunting license in B.C. Your last seasons hunting license does not get it. Even if U have purchased your license from the same person for the last 10 years. The reason for this is U could have been busted the season before for poaching and had your hunting license suspended for 5 years.

No shit Sherlock, I think most members on this site already know this.

Ddog
04-12-2014, 10:06 AM
[QUOTE=Steeleco;
Once the booklet is filled out for the current year, it's as good as the hunter card IMHO![/QUOTE]

unfortunately your HO matters not, although i agree with you as long as picture ID would be shown if you have a hunter booklet in your name already,
i remember when all i had to do was tell them my hunter number (cause they knew me) even to them now i must show a HN card when purchasing any tag.

i now buy all my tags in the beginning of the season for the species i am going to hunt, extra tags (if needed) if i think i may get a chance at that particular species.
as for the question do you need to carry your HN card with you, i have never been asked for a HN card once in 25 yrs, although i have mine with me at all times.
you DO NEED YOUR CARD to purchase tags and a booklet NO NEED to carry the HN card with you as it is in your species booklet.
if you are charged with a wildlife violation you may loose your HN card and that is why you need it to purchase species tags.

goatdancer
04-12-2014, 10:38 AM
I plasticized my hunter number card. It lives in my hunting wallet along with everything else I require. CORE cert, PAL, IBEP certification, key contacts, butcher shop business cards, band-aids, moleskin etc.

Is there not a requirement to not alter the card in any manner?

Ringo 7MM
04-12-2014, 10:53 AM

I had my hunter number card plasticized at the BC government access center, it cost $2.00.

quaint bucket
04-12-2014, 01:11 PM
Carry both anyway. You need your hunting license at all times.

Pack your hunter numbers because you never know... you just might need a tag...

J_T
04-12-2014, 03:03 PM
Is there not a requirement to not alter the card in any manner? I didn't ask, didn't check. 23 years later, I still have it. Would I still have it if it was paper and I carried it all the time. I don't think so. Every year I've shown it, no one has mentioned anything. I didn't really think I altered it when I plasticized it. Just protected something valuable.

Ambush
04-12-2014, 03:09 PM

At one point that was a "rule". But after being in a wet licence folder and looking worse for wear, I dried mine out and plasticized it, many years ago. No problems so far.

goatdancer
04-12-2014, 03:16 PM
Good to know. I will plasticize mine to preserve it.

eastkoot
04-12-2014, 04:30 PM
Only required to purchase your HUNTING LICENSE not for tags... Once you have a license, put it away, you don't need it anymore...

Foxton Gundogs
04-13-2014, 09:12 AM
I have never had a problem buying species licenses without my card, the number is on my hunting license so they just went with it.
I have never been asked for any card when purchasing additional tags since they came in in the late 70s

Not sure why you would feel the need to pack your CORE cert, when you have your license and hunter # card, it serves no purpose. just 1 more thing to get lost in the event of the wallet going missing. as well the wallet is starting to get pretty thick with all the crap you NEED to carry

Stone Sheep Steve
04-13-2014, 09:17 AM
Gov't agent laminated my card for me at a cost of $2. Too bad the thing was too big to fit into any wallet. Ripped it apart and did it at work.
Check the size before you pay your $2.

SSS

quaint bucket
04-13-2014, 09:34 AM
Yeah they made it way too big. :O

I just borrowed my wife's crafting tools to cut the laminate down a little bit.

Dannybuoy
04-13-2014, 10:37 AM
Only required to purchase your HUNTING LICENSE not for tags... Once you have a license, put it away, you don't need it anymore...
This is what I understand as well , I usually get mine from the access centre , never been asked for hunter number other than when buying licence .

J_T
04-13-2014, 11:04 AM
I have never been asked for any card when purchasing additional tags since they came in in the late 70s

Not sure why you would feel the need to pack your CORE cert, when you have your license and hunter # card, it serves no purpose. just 1 more thing to get lost in the event of the wallet going missing. as well the wallet is starting to get pretty thick with all the crap you NEED to carry Because I'm more organized than anyone. I keep all my $hit together. Period. I'm the one packing the wallet, what do you care? As for losing it. If I lose that wallet, I've lost my hunting pack, my knives, my binos.

Alec
04-13-2014, 01:47 PM
When I got my Hunter Number Card, they gave me 2, perhaps they thought one might get lost or wear out. The story about taking away a violator's card would only slow the person down as the other card could still be used to obtain a second licence that would not be detected for several months. If you are that sort of person why would you even bother with a licence anyway?

aggiehunter
04-13-2014, 09:50 PM
so one time in card writing camp... I got a new card...but didnt' have to carry it...but instead I liked to talk about it alot instead of just carrying the GD thing and not creating a huge campaign over it...there I feel better.

Ringo 7MM
04-13-2014, 10:10 PM
so one time in card writing camp... I got a new card...but didnt' have to carry it...but instead I liked to talk about it alot instead of just carrying the GD thing and not creating a huge campaign over it...there I feel better.

GOOD ONE, very funny.

ru rancher
04-13-2014, 10:16 PM
Gov't agent laminated my card for me at a cost of $2. Too bad the thing was too big to fit into any wallet. Ripped it apart and did it at work.
Check the size before you pay your $2.

SSS
i just cut off the big over lap piece then mine fit perfectly fine

Ringo 7MM
04-13-2014, 10:21 PM
i just cut off the big over lap piece then mine fit perfectly fine

Just what are you talking about, when you said that..........:mrgreen:

ru rancher
04-13-2014, 10:30 PM
Just what are you talking about, when you said that..........:mrgreen:
haha would make sence to anyone that got there cards laminated well as long as they do it the same everywhere lol i knew it didnt sound good decided to post it anyway

Ringo 7MM
04-13-2014, 10:36 PM
I was just havin fun with ya rancher, it was a funny one..........:-D