PDA

View Full Version : firearms renewal question

arrow assassin
04-11-2014, 05:46 PM
I am just wondering if anyone can tell me is it required to send a new photo when renewing your firearms licence, i would appreciate any info as this is my first renewal.

mikeboehm
04-11-2014, 05:50 PM
Yup must send a new photo. I just sent my renewal in yesterday

Everett
04-11-2014, 05:53 PM
Yes you can print it yourself as long as its the right size.

Gun Dog
04-11-2014, 06:11 PM
Don't forget to sign the back of the picture.

pinofire
04-11-2014, 06:15 PM
Yes you do. Doesnt have to be a passport photo but must be the same dimension

Steeleco
04-11-2014, 07:20 PM
I don't think signing the back of renewal photos is required. Only initial issue. That said, if you do sign it, it's not wasted!

arrow assassin
04-11-2014, 08:18 PM
thanks fellas

mikeboehm
04-11-2014, 08:37 PM
i didnt have to sign the back of my picture i just had to print my name on the included sticker and put that on the back of the photo

Wentrot
04-11-2014, 08:46 PM
Just sent my renewal off last week-Any idea on what the wait is like these days? Mine expires june 2 and I will be shocked if its here by then lol

TPK
04-11-2014, 10:37 PM
If you own restricted firearms .... don't forget to send a copy of your Rod and Gun club membership .. like I did .. after telling everyone not to forget .. lol

MichelD
04-11-2014, 11:16 PM
Took a month for mine to come.

338 whisper
04-13-2014, 05:45 PM
Just got mine back on Friday it took 5 weeks.

Vader
04-14-2014, 02:02 PM
Same here 5 weeks and it was restricted renewal as well. Include the club membership and sign your pic. The signature isn't wasted. if you over do they can't slow the process by deciding it needs "other information". I send it all just to make sure.

Rob Chipman
04-14-2014, 02:40 PM
I'm still waiting. I followed instructions, called to check up, it was in the Pacific Division, but it's now 3 months late. When I called they told me not to worry... :-)

bc cooker
04-14-2014, 02:54 PM
I would worry…..a lot!

bigbuckbuster
04-14-2014, 02:57 PM
Same here 5 weeks and it was restricted renewal as well. Include the club membership and sign your pic. The signature isn't wasted. if you over do they can't slow the process by deciding it needs "other information". I send it all just to make sure.
I may be wrong but dont you only need to send your range membership for your ATT? If you have restricted firearms that you don't transport, you shouldn't need a range membership...should you?

Vader
04-14-2014, 03:20 PM
Phone and ask to speak to the BC CFO office.. Thats where your problem is.

Wentrot
04-15-2014, 09:20 AM
Its been a couple weeks for me, and here I was wondering why they have not charged my credit card yet lol guess its going to take longer than I was expecting. No restricted so hopefully that makes things a touch faster.

Pre '64
04-15-2014, 05:47 PM
i didnt have to sign the back of my picture i just had to print my name on the included sticker and put that on the back of the photo

This is just in case they upset a bunch on the floor and have to match the pictures back up with the applications.

Crimson Viking
04-15-2014, 07:56 PM
I'm at 2 months wait now. Called today , in finial review , should be 2 to 3 more weeks.

Wentrot
04-23-2014, 09:25 AM
How are you guys managing to get any help over the phone? Each time I have called they do not even look into anything for me. Darn thing still hasn't shown up on the website. Really kicking myself for not sending it priority because for all I know they never even got it.

Jagermeister
04-23-2014, 09:41 AM
I guess you failed to read the information requirements on the renewal form that you must fill out to renew your licence.
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/form-formulaire/pdfs/5614-eng.pdf
Since we are holding your hand, don't forget to include the renewal fee. This fee was waived previously and only those that hunt and/or trap to sustain are presently exempt from poning up.

04-23-2014, 10:07 AM
Just keep in mind, that our government and RCMP consider you a criminal for owning guns, and your PAL is the only thing standing between you and a mandatory prison term.

sawmill
04-23-2014, 10:36 AM
Heres a question,how many times can you renew your POL?I done it once,don`t need a Pal,just the pol.I have enough firepower.

Jagermeister
04-23-2014, 03:55 PM
Heres a question,how many times can you renew your POL?I done it once,don`t need a Pal,just the pol.I have enough firepower.
Near as I can tell, indefinitely. Unless you let it expire, then you will be obligated to obtain a PAL. That means retesting.
There is this little codicil though.

A Possession Only Licence (POL) is available only as a renewal of an existing licence. If a POL is not renewed on time, the licensee must obtain a Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) (http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/form-formulaire/index-eng.htm#f921), including meeting safety training, if they want to continue owning or using firearms.

Exception: Until May 16, 2014, those who (a) still possess restricted or non-restricted firearms and (b) have not been prohibited from possession, are eligible to apply for a new POL to replace an expired POL. Eligible applicants can obtain an application form by contacting the CFP.

SingleShot
04-23-2014, 04:02 PM
How are you guys managing to get any help over the phone? Each time I have called they do not even look into anything for me. Darn thing still hasn't shown up on the website. Really kicking myself for not sending it priority because for all I know they never even got it.

Just so we are clear; you sent your form in by snail mail in the first week of April and you are chomping at the bit 3 weeks later?

Rest assured, these don't "usually" get processed in less than the 45 days they suggest. Some apps have a mandatory 28 day wait period before they even consider looking at it. I really don't think there is any point in phoning anyone until the 45 days has elapsed. With a little luck you will have it for June.

Rob Chipman
04-24-2014, 06:02 PM
So, an update. I sent mine in in October '13. My old one expired on my birthday in January '14. I called in Feb and they said they had it, but hadn't processed it yet. They told me not to worry.

So, I called again today. They've received it and now they've actually opened it, but they're still waiting. There does not appear to be anything wrong. Apparently they're just busy.

I asked if I was breaking any laws, and they said "No, just keep the weapons safely stored".

I asked if I could go out hunting a bear this weekend without the PAL. Answer? No. That would be illegal unless I went under the "supervision" of someone with a valid PAL.

You know what I want? More government! :-)

04-24-2014, 06:11 PM
You know what I want? More government! :smile:

For all the cursing I've done at them, its refreshing to see someone who can still laugh at the bast*rds.....

Glockaholic
04-24-2014, 08:30 PM
Well put, exactly!

Just keep in mind, that our government and RCMP consider you a criminal for owning guns, and your PAL is the only thing standing between you and a mandatory prison term.

Glockaholic
04-24-2014, 08:34 PM
They called your firearms "weapons"?

Ya, that's your tax dollars hard at work :???:

So, an update. I sent mine in in October '13. My old one expired on my birthday in January '14. I called in Feb and they said they had it, but hadn't processed it yet. They told me not to worry.

So, I called again today. They've received it and now they've actually opened it, but they're still waiting. There does not appear to be anything wrong. Apparently they're just busy.

I asked if I was breaking any laws, and they said "No, just keep the weapons safely stored".

I asked if I could go out hunting a bear this weekend without the PAL. Answer? No. That would be illegal unless I went under the "supervision" of someone with a valid PAL.

You know what I want? More government! :-)

Rob Chipman
04-24-2014, 08:46 PM
"They called your firearms "weapons"?"

She was a nice lady, but she's still a scale on the dragon...

2chodi
04-24-2014, 08:56 PM
Garry Breitkreuz and Gary Mauser both spoke at the BCWF AGM and it was mentioned they are working on a few things:

1) A PAL that doesn't expire so that you do not become a criminal if you forget to renew or there are delays in processing. A new photo would be required periodically.
2) ATTs that coincide with the term of your PAL. I think that is what is happening in BC now, but not so in some other provinces.
3) Conversion of a POL to a PAL without having to take the firearms safety course.
4) Firearms experts technical committee (classification of firearms) with a wider variety of involvement including RCMP

Here (http://bcwf.net/images/stories/2014_AGM/presentations/Saturday/UN%20Arms%20Trade%20Treaty.pdf) is Gary Mauser's presentation - it starts off with United Nations stuff, but you will find information related to what is happening in Canada at the end.

Wentrot
05-14-2014, 09:45 AM
An update-My new PAL is in the mail, so right around a month since they received my paperwork.

On a side note, anyone renewing should keep an eye on their credit card statement because I was charged my 60 dollar fee multiple times. They wont refund my money either until I mail them a letter including a copy of the statement. I am sure its rare for this to happen, but just a heads up...

caddisguy
05-15-2014, 12:29 PM
My PAL is up for renewal again for September this year. I am guessing it is probably safer to print out form online and send it in now. I would hate to miss hunting season if they get backlogged. I figure 4 months is plenty, even for worst case scenario.