PDA

View Full Version : Snow level in 7-30- Hazelton area?

The Hermit
04-10-2014, 02:12 PM
I have a grizz tag in 6-30 and would appreciate anyone letting me know when the snow starts to retreat in the mountains up that way. Trying to time the trip so that we arrive before all the snow is gone but not so much that we can't hike into the south facing slides. Also if anyone sees big ol bores out and about please shoot me a PM.

I'm thinking if we leave the coast around April 24th things might be good... I suspect the big boars are coming out to forage for a day or two then denning back up for a few days before making another trip out and about. Timing is everything.

Thanks

moosecaller
04-10-2014, 03:48 PM
Type-O or you're really lost and gonna get in trouble if you don't figure out where your tag is good for? Want to check it out again? Just a guess here I think you meant "6"-30??

Brno22F
04-10-2014, 05:25 PM
Valley bottom snow is going fast. High elevation is still accumulating. When it rains in town, it snows up high. If you are intending to hunt alpine areas, wait till late May or early June. Typically we get our high water in the rivers here around that time due to snow melt from mountain tops. A lot depends on the year. We haven't had huge accumulation this year and if we get a long warm spell early, things will open up sooner.

swampthing
04-10-2014, 05:26 PM
I have crews working there and they say snow is almost gone in valley floor. I will be up there next week.

The Hermit
04-11-2014, 12:16 AM
Type-O or you're really lost and gonna get in trouble if you don't figure out where your tag is good for? Want to check it out again? Just a guess here I think you meant "6"-30??

Duh brain fart. Yes it is 6-30. Here it is April and there goes one of my allotted 3 mistakes this year! ;-)

.330 Dakota
04-11-2014, 07:29 AM
Hey Hermit,,,I too have a tag for 6-30 zone A, Not sure I can get there now though due to work schedule which has changed on me. I hunted north of there 2 years in a row though, and the snow is deep until 2nd week of May. If you had a quad with tracks you could get into the slides better, walkin in is a tough go

sawmill
04-11-2014, 10:26 AM
All the bears I hunted were down lower in spring,late April on,looking for food.We got some dandies over the years up the Kispiox valley.

The Hermit
04-20-2014, 10:20 PM
Still waiting... I'm all packed and can be out of here in a half hour. Any updates on the Kispiox valley snow in the hills?

swampthing
04-21-2014, 12:07 PM
The valley bottom is clear! I am shocked at the lack of snow. I forgot to look at the mountains for you. I imagine any south slopes are fairly clear.

Brno22F
04-21-2014, 05:48 PM
Still waiting... I'm all packed and can be out of here in a half hour. Any updates on the Kispiox valley snow in the hills?

still lots of snow up high. Valley bottoms are clear and grass is starting to green up in town. It will be a few more weeks before you will get into the high country. Even then there will still be lots of snow.

40incher
04-21-2014, 08:33 PM
I'd hold off until about the 5th of May, and plan for 10 days.

BCbillies
04-21-2014, 09:43 PM
I'd hold off until about the 5th of May, and plan for 10 days.

Now them are words of wisdom . . . unless you plan to be up for 3 to 4 weeks . . . timing is key! First week of May with some clear nights and the bears will be moving into position.