PDA

View Full Version : Put in for LEH 7-25 Bull Moose Draw. Questions??

papaken
04-08-2014, 01:54 PM
I have put in for the draw and if I get it the dates run from Sept. 10 - Nov. 5. I would really like to try calling one into bow range ( under 50yds ). Have a ground blind and decoy and am flexible for dates. Wondering what would be the best times for calling and what the rut dates would be in the Stuart Lake area. Not looking for anyone's hunting spots as I have shot (rifle) numerous moose over the years and know pretty much where to look.
Have always hunted mid-October and never actually had one come to a call. Think I am either lousy caller or calling wrong time. Have been practicing and entering 3D shoots so hope to make this the year I get something with my bow. Any suggestions from any bowhunters for setup Ie: distance from blind for decoy, calling technique, tricks of the trade would be appreciated. May be over 60 but still willing to learn. My hunting partner doesn't bow hunt but will put in as well and be the back up if I can't get a bull to come into bow range. Will also have deer, elk and bear tags if haven't got anything sooner.
thx papaken

358jess
04-08-2014, 10:18 PM
I find in mid october all the bigger bulls have cowed up and aren't interested. First week of October they are usually running around horny as all get out. Just my experience around pg and a little in the skeena.

moosinaround
04-08-2014, 10:28 PM
last week of Sept, first week of october. Right after the full moon phase! Moosin