PDA

View Full Version : 6-02 spring grizzly hunt

Huevos
04-08-2014, 08:02 AM
I'm trying to collect as much information as I can on hunting grizzly in this area. Has anyone drawn a tag in this area or know any info on it? I know that it's pretty much water locked by ootsa lake and the rest of the Alcan resivoir, but I have a plan to take care of that. I have 2 weeks to hunt at the beginning of may.
Any advice or pointers is much appreciated. I will let you all know how it turns out...

Wild one
04-08-2014, 08:22 AM
That area gets hit pretty good with snow you could have issues in early May. I would personally look at late May if it was my hunt.

If you take a boat across the reach there is logging roads and they have not been logging in there for the last 2 years if my memory is correct.

Well logging was going on the crew did not see grizz often but some were seen.

Ootsa can be a boat sinker so be prepared for rough conditions.

In my opinion you will have to earn your grizz in that area but they are there

Huevos
04-08-2014, 09:55 AM
The snow is pretty deep still, but I'm hoping the sunshine comes out in full force. We lost about 10 inches of snow last week and a bunch more yesterday. I'm planning on floating my quad across the lake to use on the logging roads. Thanks for the heads up on the hunt I can't change the dates though, so I will have to make do.

Wild one
04-08-2014, 10:17 AM
Sounds like you live in the area

If you can track down some of the guys from tahtsa that were part of the crew logging over there it would be worth it. They spent a good amount of time in camp over there. I know there was a big grizz hanging near their camp.

The trapper who owns the line over there is active as well and odds are if you can track him down he will have a good idea where to start.

Because of the access to that area you may have a tough time finding info.

Best of luck

decker9
04-08-2014, 01:44 PM
Not positive, but I don't know if anyone's been logging out there for quite a while now? Any time Iv been out there the last bunch of years I haven't seen any activity at the barge sight anyway. You probably already know, but the best place to cross that I know of would be the east ootsa barge landing, there are a ton of logging roads once you cross. Not far across the other side is a lake called white eye, good camp spot and great fishing! There is an outfitter on chief Louis lake, he does have a couple more camps but I'm not sure where they are.
Iv herd of people trolling in the sun on tetachuck, catching big bows and classing the shore line, but iv never been on tetachuck personally. But as stated, just be prepared if your staying on the lake much.
As for snow, it's going down quick now here in 6-04, I'd imagine this warm wind and sun is hitting over there to.
Good luck on your trip! Ill be putting my moose and grizzly draws for over there this fall.
Cheers!

Huevos
04-08-2014, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm not much of a water dweller. Sounds like a fishing rod is in order.