PDA

View Full Version : What is the best back pack you have owned

EELK
04-07-2014, 09:25 PM
Some people say bad lands, some say eberlestock etc, what is the best bag you have owned? i have a badlands 2200 it does everything I need and more but i have heard few good things about eberlestock lately. Whats the best bag you have owned and why?

Everett
04-07-2014, 09:57 PM
Dana Designs Bomb pack hands down best pack I have ever owned more days on this pack than most people will hike and ski in there lifetime. For hunting Mystery Ranch Crew Cab on my second one first one got stolen its a bomb proof pack and can handle more weight than I can carry.

Stresd
04-08-2014, 07:09 AM
I have the 2200, and 4500 Badlands. Great packs. But since I bought my Icon 7200, the Badlands have been left hanging in the closet. Have been looking at the Kuiu Ultra but so happy with how the Icon packs and loads, that I am not sure I want a minimalist bag.

2tins
04-08-2014, 08:59 AM
Mystery Ranch packs are unreal. They are a bit heavier than some other packs but the quality and strength of these bags can not be beat..

RiverOtter
04-08-2014, 10:06 AM
For a heavy load internal frame, my Gregory "Denali" is hands down the best I've owned/tried.

For a heavy load external frame, I have heard nothing but good about Mystery Ranch, and it will be my next pack purchase.

huntcoop
04-08-2014, 10:10 AM
My Mystery Ranch pack is amazingly comfortable and can carry a ton of weight.

drum_boy101
04-08-2014, 10:21 AM
I really like my badlands OX, it's my first hunting pack so I don't have much to compare it to.

300rum700
04-08-2014, 10:28 AM
I've owned most and tried the rest, except a Barneys, and Kifaru has THE most comfortable, durable pack on the market.

Bear Brawler
04-08-2014, 02:39 PM
I bought a KUIU Icon 6000 from mudbud recently and couldn't be happier. Now, I'm debating buying a KUIU Ultra, I have always thought Mystery Ranch and Eberelstock packs to be way too heavy. Used to have an Arcteryx Bora that was awesome but these Kuiu packs seems bomber and carry the weight very nice. And they are incredibly light.

decker9
04-08-2014, 05:07 PM
I bit the bullet a couple years ago and bought a kifaru. Iv had close to 100lb loads in it a couple times, the pack handled it better then I did. I have to say tho, it sure fits nice and feels great. Iv never worn a MR but iv herd they'r top notch also. Kifaru customer service was about the best iv had also.

04-08-2014, 05:31 PM
I have a MR, which is excellent. I would not hesitate to purchase another. I have also heard great things about Kifaru. I have a Kifaru tipi, and can attest to their excellent customer service.

allan
04-08-2014, 05:57 PM
I upgraded to mr nice 6500, I wanted bomb proof because I abuse all my gear.
No regrets

Fred1
04-08-2014, 05:59 PM
MR... Great packs! Comfortable under load, very versatile and well built! Love 'em!

swampthing
04-08-2014, 06:52 PM
Depends on what you are using it for. My preference is eberlestock for my needs. Well built. The rifle scabbard is my favorite option that many of their packs have. They also sell a scabbard as an attachment that can be fitted to other packs.

hunter1993ap
04-08-2014, 06:58 PM
I upgraded to mr nice 6500, I wanted bomb proof because I abuse all my gear.
No regrets

i abuse my gear as well, also have the MR, 7500. really comfy and has lots of room for organization. love the camera holder for quick access to the camera. we'll see how it holds up with some big loads this fall, as I plan to really abuse it this year!!

RiverOtter
04-08-2014, 07:46 PM
MR's are definately not "fly weight" packs, but then again light weight comes at a price, and in a pack that is usually strength/durability. Might just be me, but I consider a pack to be about the second or third most critical part of the gear I take into the backcountry, next only to my boots or tent. You have a pack or harness failure in the middle of BF nowhere, and you have a very serious problem, as it is the only means of bolting all your "important" gear to your back for transport.

Chopper
04-08-2014, 09:27 PM
I bought and have been packing a stone glacier terminus ... Immediately sold my Badlands and my eberlestock. Those packs are not even in the same realm as a good sheep pack

300rum700
04-09-2014, 07:21 AM
I bought and have been packing a stone glacier terminus ... Immediately sold my Badlands and my eberlestock. Those packs are not even in the same realm as a good sheep pack

^^^^This is the best advice you will get on this subject.^^^^

Ryan R
04-09-2014, 03:49 PM
i abuse my gear as well, also have the MR, 7500. really comfy and has lots of room for organization. love the camera holder for quick access to the camera. we'll see how it holds up with some big loads this fall, as I plan to really abuse it this year!!

I have the 7500 too. Great pack very comfortable with heavy loads. Where is that camera holder??? I usually strap my camera case around the hip buckle.

hunter1993ap
04-09-2014, 04:23 PM
I have the 7500 too. Great pack very comfortable with heavy loads. Where is that camera holder??? I usually strap my camera case around the hip buckle.
ya that's where mine is, works great and out of the way. I havnt packed anything heavier than 30-40 pounds but if I can manage to put an animal down this fall I really plan to see what it can do. I've always used external frame, camp trails.

Weatherby Fan
04-09-2014, 04:37 PM

Have you ever tried a Mystery Ranch ? funny a guy that uses a Nightforce scope would cheap out and a sissy pack like that :wink::mrgreen:

msharkey
04-09-2014, 04:59 PM
I've owned most and tried the rest, except a Barneys, and Kifaru has THE most comfortable, durable pack on the market.
I really like my Kifaru.

Chopper
04-09-2014, 06:09 PM
Have you ever tried a Mystery Ranch ? funny a guy that uses a Nightforce scope would cheap out and a sissy pack like that :wink::mrgreen:

Funny cuz my buddies are dumping their mystery ranches for stone glaciers now that they have seen my pack

as far as the price point ... My stone glacier was quite a bit more than a mystery ranch.

At 10lbs with the new packs coming out mystery ranch is going to have to get with the times

Weatherby Fan
04-09-2014, 07:09 PM
Lol one thing about Mystery Ranch, they won't skimp on quality to save some weight.

1/2 slam
04-09-2014, 07:14 PM
Kifaru long hunter. I've packed some really big loads out with it. Love it.

lorneparker1
04-09-2014, 07:24 PM
Some people say bad lands, some say eberlestock etc, what is the best bag you have owned?

No one thzt does any real back packing says either of those...

Kifaru DT2 for me.

Rattler
04-09-2014, 07:55 PM
I have a MR 6500. It can do it all from extended missions >10 days, to day hunts. This pack can carry a tonne of weight comfortably. I love the versatility of this pack and highly recommend it.

Alpine Addict
04-09-2014, 08:37 PM
Can't beat Barney's for packing BIG loads.

hunter1993ap
04-09-2014, 09:07 PM
what is considered big loads for you guys with the new internal frames? like the MR and stone glaciers etc. anybody ever have 140+ in these packs?

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
04-09-2014, 09:10 PM
Can't beat Barney's for packing BIG loads.

I agree but losing 5 pounds or more is huge wieght savings on a pack ! I will never sell my Barney's but I might grab kuiu next year after they get put to the test this year by all the hard core sheep hunters.. If they hold up....

BCbillies
04-09-2014, 09:12 PM
what is considered big loads for you guys with the new internal frames? like the MR and stone glaciers etc. anybody ever have 140+ in these packs?

Typically in the 115 to 125 lbs for a 2 day hike out. Have loaded my Kifaru with 142 lbs for one day on a sheep hunt but that's pushing the old body as much as the pack!

Chopper
04-10-2014, 12:37 AM

The independent reviews at 100lbs on my Stone Glacier are have come out at 2nd to none. I personally love everything about the pack so far. Unfortunately I cant personally church it up to much yet, as I havnt had more than 40lbs in it. I will have to say that even having 40lbs in it the weight is barely noticeable. The pack seems to carry extremely well so far.

I will be sure to put some feed back out on it this summer before my stone hunt

325 wsm
04-10-2014, 05:57 AM
I still remember the day I threw in a boned out hind quarter, 2 backstraps and then the shoulder cape of a moose into my Wilderness Wanderer. After struggling 500 yds with it back to camp (the airstrip) I set the roughly 250 lb load down . My Wilderness Wanderer just looked up and laughed at me. Personally I hate internal frame packs for heavy loads.

Muleymaniac
04-10-2014, 06:16 AM
Kifaru dt1. Simple, versatile, rugged, and most importantly comfortable. Handles loads of 60-80 lbs like a champ. Haven't gone over that yet....

KodiakHntr
04-10-2014, 08:18 AM
Mystery Ranch all the way.... Hunting partner has a Barney, it squeaks. A lot. Even when wrapped with hockey tape.

2013 elk, front quarter AND hind quarter. Front quarter in it, hind quarter strapped to the outside of my Longbow.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc182/KodiakHntr2/2013%20Elk/IMG_3900_zps0d5786b8.jpg (http://s214.photobucket.com/user/KodiakHntr2/media/2013%20Elk/IMG_3900_zps0d5786b8.jpg.html)

Did a front quarter and both back straps plus some gear for the first trip, a hind quarter and trim for the second, and the last trip was the front and a hind, plus rifle. Weighed that pack when I got home at 130ish lbs. Not bad for a daypack.

6500 handles that kind of weight with ease. Have no doubt that 150 lbs would be feasible, if a guys joints can take it.

allan
04-10-2014, 08:21 AM

I put 2 small moose quarters in my mystery ranch nice 6500 for a short trip back to base camp one day. The pack held up fine. I was sore the next day. We estimate my buddy had 130 lbs in/on a badlands 2200.
I had about 180+ in my mr. By the end of the trip out I was carrying his rifle, antlers ( he shot it he was supposed to carry it out) and I was holding his arm to help home over the last few trees.
I was surprised to see both packs hold up. My biggest problem is trying get the pack on from the ground ...

KodiakHntr
04-10-2014, 08:31 AM
6500 handles that kind of weight with ease. Have no doubt that 150 lbs would be feasible, if a guys joints can take it

That's a typo, should have read 250 lbs, but the edit button isn't working. Have NEVER heard or read of anyone breaking a MR pack.

300rum700
04-10-2014, 09:19 AM

The Kifaru duplex carries big loads, #100 and above, better than any other ( excluding Barney's, never tried one) All weight gets transferred to your hips and you are able to walk upright which dramatically reduces fatigue. They weigh a considerable amount less than the rest and are made from 500d cordura which makes them pretty much bomb proof. I had a chance to use both the MR 7500 and the DT1 before I ordered and chose the DT1 with a bikini frame, the duplex is even better than that for heavy loads. Same load, same hike and same weather conditions the DT1 was noticeably better at carrying the weight (~110 lbs). The MR is no doubt comfortable but it does pull you back and makes you fight the weight a lot more. Let the stoning begin but the MR guys need to try these out.

Chopper
04-10-2014, 09:49 AM
I personally think that virtually any of the packs mentioned on this thread are probably all going to have amazing reviews ... less the Badlands and Eberle's. The Kifaru , MR the Stone Glacier have all been used on big hunts with great reviews.

I will admit that I think although the SG is rated for 130lbs the MR and Kifaru probably are better suited for those 130lb + jobs. The Stone Glacier was designed for sheep and mule deer ... it wasn't really built for moose quarters

I think you just have to find a pack you like and do a tonne of reading. Try one is best if you can and then get the pack you think you will be happy with. Im sure by the end I personally will have many packs.

I have the Terminus 6300 but I also just ordered the SG Solo 3300 bag for day hikes as the bag for it fits on my Terminus frame ...I thought that was a pretty sweet That Stone Glaciers Bags are interchangeable to suit your trip. Saving you a lot of money, being that you don't have to buy a whole new pack , just the bag. That also brought the weight of my day pack down to 3.6lbs before gear and I still have the ability to use my 2200 inch load shelf for packing out a Blacktail. The Solo is going to be the granddaddy of BT packs IMO

All this in consideration I felt the SG was the pack best suited for me. I would never bash an MR or Kifaru ... They are proven packs

KodiakHntr
04-10-2014, 10:16 AM
. Same load, same hike and same weather conditions the DT1 was noticeably better at carrying the weight (~110 lbs). The MR is no doubt comfortable but it does pull you back and makes you fight the weight a lot more. Let the stoning begin but the MR guys need to try these out.

Sounds more like potentially a fitment issue with the MR, than a load carrying issue. And the reason I say that, is that I used my MR6500 on a couple of sheep hunts, and thought it was correctly set up, until I saw a picture of myself in it. Mid hike I had my partner help change it, and INSTANTLY it made a huge difference in felt weight....

300rum700
04-10-2014, 10:27 AM
Sounds more like potentially a fitment issue with the MR, than a load carrying issue. And the reason I say that, is that I used my MR6500 on a couple of sheep hunts, and thought it was correctly set up, until I saw a picture of myself in it. Mid hike I had my partner help change it, and INSTANTLY it made a huge difference in felt weight....

No its taking the weight off your shoulders and transferring it to the hips that make the difference. MR addressed this sort of, by offering an extension for the load litters as an accessory to their packs. Don't get me wrong I was set on a nice 7500 until I used a DT1, I'm not brand loyal and if there is something better out there I want it. I had originally bought the icon frame but realized it wasn't what I wanted after the first couple hikes and decided to take the plunge on a premium pack.

KodiakHntr
04-10-2014, 10:50 AM
No its taking the weight off your shoulders and transferring it to the hips that make the difference. MR addressed this sort of, by offering an extension for the load litters as an accessory to their packs. Don't get me wrong I was set on a nice 7500 until I used a DT1, I'm not brand loyal and if there is something better out there I want it. I had originally bought the icon frame but realized it wasn't what I wanted after the first couple hikes and decided to take the plunge on a premium pack.

Exactly. Fitting issue with how the pack is set up. If it's sitting on your shoulders, it isn't set up correctly. Packing101 says the weight should be on your hips, on a good belt. Set up any top end bag correctly, and that's what it will do. If you had any bag, be it MR/KIF/BAR where the weight is on your shoulders, you had it set up wrong.

The LiftKit was offered for the CrewCab, Longbow, Metcalf series of bags, so that they would carry weight like the 6500/7500 bags. It isn't compatible with the 6500/7500 bags.

Load lifters? Yeah, we’ve been doing those for a while. The contradiction of a small volume bag that carries huge loads is a unique trait of hunting packs. While the NICE 6500 and 7500 have load lifter frame extensions already built into the bags, no one wants to carry a NICE 6500 for day hunt strictly for the load lifters. However having the suspension and support of a large pack at a reduced weight and volume would be awesome. Fortunately, we designed a multi-sized accessory to take the load off your shoulders without having to resort to carrying a massive pack. With two size ranges (5’9”-6’2”(L) and 6’2”-6’10”(XL)), you are able to get the correct angle and function out of your NICE frame load lifters while using smaller bags.

That said, use whichever pack floats your boat. If a guy likes a SG, Kif, Barney, or MR, so be it. I really couldn't care any less which pack any body other than me uses. For me, having tried out all of them except the SG so far, I'll stick with a Ranch bag, as I like the features and ability to leave a frame set up and swap bags between it in seconds.

300rum700
04-10-2014, 11:34 AM
Whatever way you want to spin it the MR doesn't do as good of a job taking the weight due to lack of load lifting compared to the kifaru.

KodiakHntr
04-10-2014, 11:36 AM
To each their own. I can't force you to be right :)

300rum700
04-10-2014, 11:41 AM
To each their own. I can't force you to be right :)

No but you can use one first...

Chopper
04-10-2014, 11:47 AM
Arguments on these threads just get ridiculous sometimes ... " Fords are better " ... " No Chevys are ! "

Anyone who is serious about packing knows which packs are on the top of the food chain. All about what you need and like

I don't give sh*t which pack guys think are the best as long as im happy with the one im using and the pack my hunting partner is using dosnt cause him to bitch during our trip

358mag
04-10-2014, 11:54 AM
Arguments on these threads just get ridiculous sometimes ... " Fords are better " ... " No Chevys are ! "

Anyone who is serious about packing knows which packs are on the top of the food chain. All about what you need and like

I don't give sh*t which pack guys think are the best as long as im happy with the one im using and the pack my hunting partner is using dosnt cause him to bitch during our trip
X2 its all about your pack fitting "you" everyone has different shape hips- back- shoulders, the bottom line is get a pack that is fitted to your body .The rest is all window dressing ,and make sure your hunting buddy's pack fits him even a bit better so he can carry more weight .......:wink:

300rum700
04-10-2014, 12:04 PM
OP asked what packs are the best I've used and I told him. IMO if you haven't used one or don't know don't tell me I'm wrong. It's all good information and we can all learn from it and it's a lot better than saying "well I have this and its the best because that's what I like".

KodiakHntr
04-10-2014, 01:43 PM
OP asked what packs are the best I've used and I told him. IMO if you haven't used one or don't know don't tell me I'm wrong. It's all good information and we can all learn from it and it's a lot better than saying "well I have this and its the best because that's what I like".

Like I said above, the only one I haven't tried, is the Stone Glacier....(Well, to be fair, not the new Kuiu stuff either, like everyone else up here....)
And, like I said before, I don't really care what any one other than me uses. I merely pointed out, that if you have weight on your shoulders, not on your hips, the pack isn't set up correctly. Period. No if's ands or buts.

If you want to argue that Brand X carries weight better than Brand Y, because you tried them and Brand Y had too much weight on your shoulders, then the problem isn't the pack, it was how you adjusted it.

To put it more clearly, if my jeans are falling off my ass when I put my wallet in my pocket because I bought a size 36 instead of a size 32, I don't blame the jeans. I buy a belt, or I buy a pair that fits......

However, you are correct, in that if you figure something is best because that's what you bought, then that doesn't carry a lot of weight as an opinion (pun intended). If you've tried them all, and THEN you tell someone what you like and why, then that carries more validity IMO.

2radd
04-10-2014, 02:10 PM
Each pack fits different depending on your body type. whats working the for the long lanky guys out there?

300rum700
04-10-2014, 02:27 PM
Each pack fits different depending on your body type. whats working the for the long lanky guys out there?

I've adjusted my bikini frame from a guy that's 5'2" 200 lbs, to me 6'2"240, to my hunting partner who is 6'2" 200. You'll probably start to run out of lift at 6'8" or so.

Chopper
04-10-2014, 02:57 PM

Kurt at SG is a very tall guy and designed those packs ... I also am 6'3 and really like my SG so far. I think most of the top packs will be good for guys over the 6ft mark ... I know for a fact the MR is.

Again ... I cant as of yet church up the SG as I havnt had 100lbs in it , and again I will have better experience with it this summer that I will be sharing. But so far as a tall guy there is a lot of adjustment in the SG

Ryan R
04-11-2014, 04:18 PM
That's a typo, should have read 250 lbs, but the edit button isn't working. Have NEVER heard or read of anyone breaking a MR pack.

Heard a guy on another forum say he put 200 lbs in his MR 6500 and bent the frame stays. He just bent them back.

KodiakHntr
04-11-2014, 05:07 PM
Anything is possible, if you try hard enough.
Which forum?

Ryan R
04-11-2014, 05:30 PM
Anything is possible, if you try hard enough.
Which forum?

Alberta Outdoorsman

Good2bCanadian
04-11-2014, 05:44 PM
I have a Badlands 2200 and Super day, and I'm quite certain there are better options out there.

My 20 year old Kelty has better ergonomics than both of these.

Fred1
04-11-2014, 06:17 PM

Bingo!
Well isn't this a bit of a pissing contest... Bottom line - find a pack that fits YOU and set it up properly!! (Mark Seacat might tell you MR's are the best. But then again we are not him and not in his position). 100lb to 125lbs are realistic/common weights to fathom. Be strong, get a pack that fits YOU, set it up properly, be smart. Other than that, maybe just get some porters and then who cares what pack?! Really no one can load a pack to 40lbs and say its awesome for packing - chit, my cruise vest weighs 40lbs every day!! Try 'em out, fit 'em right and load 'em right. Real men used to use a Trapper Nelson! I have used one... Im not a real man... Trappers just plain hurt! Greatest torture device known to man. I do know that my MR(s) work and they fit me. Happy! Happy! Happy! - Can I use that one here? ;)

BEAVERBRUCE
04-11-2014, 06:32 PM
Trapper Nelson

MtnBoy
04-11-2014, 07:16 PM
For me the best pack is one Dan McHale custom made for me. I custom designed a spotting scope/tripod pouch (swaro 65 angled and slik CF) It is an improved design over a MR rear split pouch. Seen lots coming from Mchale with this now. It's lighter than a MR, versatile like a Kifaru and Strong like a Barneys. 2 hour fitting in his house near Seattle. My pack is pictured on the website (CMII). Very expensive but perfect for my hunting style.

300rum700
04-11-2014, 07:37 PM
Bingo!
Well isn't this a bit of a pissing contest... Bottom line - find a pack that fits YOU and set it up properly!! (Mark Seacat might tell you MR's are the best. But then again we are not him and not in his position). 100lb to 125lbs are realistic/common weights to fathom. Be strong, get a pack that fits YOU, set it up properly, be smart. Other than that, maybe just get some porters and then who cares what pack?! Really no one can load a pack to 40lbs and say its awesome for packing - chit, my cruise vest weighs 40lbs every day!! Try 'em out, fit 'em right and load 'em right. Real men used to use a Trapper Nelson! I have used one... Im not a real man... Trappers just plain hurt! Greatest torture device known to man. I do know that my MR(s) work and they fit me. Happy! Happy! Happy! - Can I use that one here? ;)

Most if not all good products are Internet only or have one store usually in the states. It's all fine to say find a pack that fits you best but how are you supposed to find what fits you best if you can't try one on let alone use it? It's a big chunk of change ordering one of these packs and these forums are a good tool to learn from, I rarely read good comments because no on wants to admit that they spent their hard earned money on a pos (relax I'm not calling your pack a pos) instead I look at what's for sale, what's not and negative feed back from an actual user. This site is heavy on Mr and I'm just saying that there are other options that might do the job just a little better, hard to believe I know but don't knock it till you try it.

Weatherby Fan
04-15-2014, 12:59 PM
Heard a guy on another forum say he put 200 lbs in his MR 6500 and bent the frame stays. He just bent them back.

So did he just put 200 lbs in the pack or did he pack it on his back for any length of time ?

I would like to see how far he packed it for ................. not that I'm doubting his abilities.............but would like to know what scale he was using :wink:

coach
04-15-2014, 03:28 PM
Fisher Dude told me he once packed a decent sized spruce grouse from the ditch all the way back to his pickup while using his beloved Dora backpack. Apparently it's the only pack he's ever owned. :-D

Ryan R
04-15-2014, 05:57 PM
So did he just put 200 lbs in the pack or did he pack it on his back for any length of time ?

I would like to see how far he packed it for ................. not that I'm doubting his abilities.............but would like to know what scale he was using :wink:

I would like to know those details too. The man did not elaborate. It sounded like he was just playing around with the pack.

JLsteel
04-15-2014, 10:08 PM
My kifaru Duplex timberline 1 is a beast. I have put ballpark a 100lbs in it and it handles the weight well. I cannot compare it to a MR, Barneys, or Stone Glacier as I've never tried them but I have used a Kuiu Icon and badlands. I hated my badlands as it was always uncomfortable and I broke it. The Kuiu is decent but wasn't as comfortable to me and the frame likes to squeak a lot. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the high end packs of Kifaru, MR , SG, barneys. I bought my pack without ever trying one of these on. I had to rely on these forums to a certain degree to make an informed decision of which pack to buy. If the Kifaru didn't fit me properly I would have returned it and bought different pack until i found a brand that fit me.

These online only brands all seem to have great customer service and return policies, they know that without trying before buying we are inevitably going to have some fitment issues. I only have first hand experience with Kifaru so when I was ready to purchase, they walked me through their packs and went through my measurements for proper fitting. Once I received the pack, they walked me through adjusting each part of the pack to ensure that it was configured optimally to ME (ie load lifter strap angles, shoulder strap height, etc).

There is also a new pack in the market by exo mountain gear that you can look into as well. Doesn't look too bad but looks to be a mid range pack.

.264winmag
08-09-2014, 06:52 PM
Stone Glacier Terminus, love it!

batman66
08-11-2014, 08:58 AM
The only backpack anyone should ever buy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAtzN_ScKXY

I really enjoy my Badlands OX

358mag
08-11-2014, 09:17 AM
Fisher Dude told me he once packed a decent sized spruce grouse from the ditch all the way back to his pickup while using his beloved Dora backpack. Apparently it's the only pack he's ever owned. :-D

Did Pat post that video on You-Tube ??:wink:

SR80
08-11-2014, 09:23 AM
Really liked my MR6500 on our sheep hunt into edziza last week, unfortunately it didn't come out weighing 100lbs+ My hunting partners ultra 6000 ripped on him, but the pack was still totally useable. Stone glaciers have really caught my eye though, due to the weight savings.

Krico
08-11-2014, 12:52 PM
My Kuiu Icon 7000 handled a load that made me want to puke last week, no issues at all. While it has a couple more pockets than I truly need, they really help with organizing. It's lighter weight was appreciated, without any noted negatives. This was its first real test. My Bro's MR 7500 performed equally as well.

k25/06
08-12-2014, 11:08 PM
I have my new Kifaru EMR 2 loaded up with 49 pounds for my fly-in stone sheep hunt aug 25.The pack is 6 pounds with two extra belt pockets added and 8,400ci.So far everything on the pack is top quality.Ive been training with the pack for 2 months with different weights and the pack handles the weight very well.

todbartell
08-22-2014, 08:08 AM
Best pack I have used is the Mystery Ranch NICE, with either the 6500 bag for mountain hunting or the CrewCab for day hunts. Load Sling for packing out meat. It's heavy, but only feels heavy when you pick it up off the ground. Carries like a dream

wighty
08-22-2014, 09:30 AM
The best pack in the world is designed by Arcteryx and made by Propper industries.

It is the USMC ILBE Gen 2 Ruck sack, you can get them on Ebay for $150 up to $500 lightly used or brand new, I got a lightly used one that smelled and looked brand new and it is AWESOME, padded and meant for weight over 120lbs

They are MARPAC camo which is woodland it is the USMC version of our Military CADPAT, better built and made to withstand a military environment

Why waste your money on Kuiu, Eberlestock, Badlands, Sitka and all the majors when you can save money and have the BEST rucksack out there!!

They are infinitely expandable due to the molle system ( the webbing on the front and sides ) and will hold a rifle on the side, only downfall you can only load and unload it from the top not the middle or sides

Here are pics of mine

http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o700/kwightman20/IMG_2794_zpsc561279d.jpg (http://s1338.photobucket.com/user/kwightman20/media/IMG_2794_zpsc561279d.jpg.html)
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o700/kwightman20/IMG_2795_zps0e8b1cea.jpg (http://s1338.photobucket.com/user/kwightman20/media/IMG_2795_zps0e8b1cea.jpg.html)
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o700/kwightman20/IMG_2793_zpsdebbb08f.jpg (http://s1338.photobucket.com/user/kwightman20/media/IMG_2793_zpsdebbb08f.jpg.html)
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o700/kwightman20/IMG_2792_zpsab81f754.jpg (http://s1338.photobucket.com/user/kwightman20/media/IMG_2792_zpsab81f754.jpg.html)

Red Bird
08-28-2014, 07:50 PM
I have had a few different packs now, I hope my best to date is my brand new McHales pack!! heading up the Tuchodi next week for 16 days! should be a good test

calvin L
08-28-2014, 08:52 PM
coach . Good thing the grouse that fisher dude shot was a spruce as a big blue would rip the straps off his dora pack

.30-06 camsavbc
08-28-2014, 09:00 PM
Wighty, that is an awesome looking pack! Huge waist pad. I have two Arcteryx Bora packs but my 3+ days pack is a Serratus Condor. I will have to upgrade if I am to pack out more than 50 lbs so this thread I am researching big time! Thanks for all the info here!

Gateholio
08-28-2014, 09:45 PM
Best pack I have used is the Mystery Ranch NICE, with either the 6500 bag for mountain hunting or the CrewCab for day hunts. Load Sling for packing out meat. It's heavy, but only feels heavy when you pick it up off the ground. Carries like a dream

Thats how I feel...

Been hiking/hunting wiht a pack since I was a little kid. 3 week hikes in the BC bush were the norm. ALl we had back then were aluminum frame packs and Trapper Nelsons, and we made do. Now we have the MR and lots of others it seems. Thje MR seems heavy until you put it on. I wear one all day, every day hunting and it is so nice to carry I forget it's there. It's the best pack I havbe found, myself. Not saying there isn't another that is better, but the MR works for me.

Phreddy
08-28-2014, 09:50 PM
24 pack of Olympia back in the 60's?

buford19
08-28-2014, 10:38 PM
Bought a mystery ranch a few years ago, seemed expensive at the time. But after comparing other pack durning training, with same weight loads. The ranch is the most comfortable pack so far. Money well spent they are that good.

goinghunting
08-28-2014, 11:13 PM
Ive got a MR and it is hands down the best pack I've ever owned but just took a stone glacier on a stone sheep hunt and it was unreal. So you want light I like the stone glacier you want tuff the MR in my opinion.

mountainman_270
09-13-2014, 06:17 AM
I`ve used a few different packs some listed here in this thread. For me the best has been the Lowe Alpine Saracen. Had it for just over a year. It is not being made anymore which is too bad. It is built as well as the Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, Eberlestock, or Arcteryx (LEAF) packs and used to cost as much as well. I paid only $160 from fleebay. I love the side pouches which zip off then zip together for a day pack. That said, I think we are in an era of excellence when it comes to outside gear. Does anyone else remember the late 70`s and the gear that was available then (surplus pack boards, ALICE Packs, `Trapper Nelson`, etc.) :tongue: Way better now.

mountainman_270
09-13-2014, 06:23 AM
Reply to wighty....I got to see one in California this year and must say the ILBE (an Arcteryx Bora built by Propper Int for the USMC) is a crazy good deal. It is a top end pack. I almost got one in new condition for $38 us dollars, but the computer glitched and I missed. It was issued with an assault pack and hydration pack as a set. Great pack.

SR80
09-13-2014, 06:32 AM
anyone have experience with a stone glacier pack?? I have a Solo on order should be here next week!